Syn free wrap... or is it?

Of course there does but that's the recommendation from SW. Whether you choose to follow it is entirely up to you but newbies need to know what the official guidance is so that they can make an informed decision.

Yummy yummy , just made these and they are lush !! I can't believe how good they taste and how easy they are !!
I think next time I will out some chillies & garlic in the mix !!

So if I'm having my cake as part of a meal with my super free it's free then ?
Got to be , whole cake made with 200g of couscous of which I have an eighth , if I was just having the couscous plain I would be having loads more than that !
There's got to be some common sense to this rule !

I agree about the need for common sense.
I think sometimes there are rules for the sake of rules, and no allowance for people to think for themselves.

Cos even things that are blatant food abuse (SW crisps, couscous cake...) are still real foods that you're allowed to eat on SW.
Yes, if I make 2 massive jacket potatoes worth of crisps, and just sit and scoff them in between meals, I've clearly eaten more than I would have under normal circumstances, and am abusing the fact that SW lets me eat unlimited potatoes.

If, however, I would have had a jp with my dinner, and choose instead (note - not as well) to make that jp into crisps, I haven't actually eaten any more than I would have done otherwise. Maybe there's a risk that it's the start of a slippery slope - but that depends on my attitude, and whether I choose to overeat.

I know there have to be rules, and it has to be clear what is a proper use of foods, and what is kind of cheating. Particularly for newbies, until they've got the hang of what they can eat on this plan, and what really works for them. But people do have a mind of their own.
Let's use it, guys.
We're not sheep.

Baaaaaaaaaaa.

I think the food abuse thing is just SW keeping themselves safe and is probably more aimed at those new to the plan. Imagine a newbie who ate nothing but cous cous cake, potato "crisps", roasted chick peas, smash pizza etc, then gained and blamed SW for advertising those foods as being free, it would show them in a negative light and would probably break loads of rules (I know nothing about law but I'm sure they'd be someone trying to sue SW...)

I rarely eat these kinds of things, so when I do I don't syn it. If I was eating a mung bean wrap with every breakfast, lunch and dinner and gained with no other tweak to blame, maybe I'd syn them, but I'm not, so I don't get myself in a twist every time I eat one (which is never because mine didn't work!!! :( I just mean "food abuse" products in general)

I think we should stop worrying about food abuse until we start gaining because of it :rolleyes:

I think we should stop worrying about food abuse until we start gaining because of it :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it's not that simple, because if we might have been going to lose 5lb in a week, and we eat that stuff and lose 3 instead, then we might think it's not having any adverse effect!

I think we have to use our brains.
Scary, eh?

At the end of a week, we need to be able to look back and honestly say that, even if we haven't used all of our food exactly how it was intended, then at least we haven't used MORE of it than we would have done?

Otherwise, it's abuse.

Well, that's how I work, anyway.

Actually, I've never made SW crisps, but I'm always intending to give them a go. On a day when I'm eating plenty of salad, or something, and won't miss the potato element in a meal.

It's all down to the individual then really. The food abuse debate is something we see on here regularly, along with many others (oil injected chicken/potato anyone?) and I just think there's no point in debating it with each other when we're all different, what works for me might not work for you and vice versa! :)

I haven't tried the crisps either but only because I'm too lazy to cut potato that thin! Maybe when I get a veg slicer :D

evilpenguin said:
I think the food abuse thing is just SW keeping themselves safe and is probably more aimed at those new to the plan. Imagine a newbie who ate nothing but cous cous cake, potato "crisps", roasted chick peas, smash pizza etc, then gained and blamed SW for advertising those foods as being free, it would show them in a negative light and would probably break loads of rules (I know nothing about law but I'm sure they'd be someone trying to sue SW...)

I rarely eat these kinds of things, so when I do I don't syn it. If I was eating a mung bean wrap with every breakfast, lunch and dinner and gained with no other tweak to blame, maybe I'd syn them, but I'm not, so I don't get myself in a twist every time I eat one (which is never because mine didn't work!!! :( I just mean "food abuse" products in general)

Here here !! As long as I'm losing , even if it's a lb a week I'm happy , food is after all meant to be enjoyed !!
If I had to give up my teeny tweaks ( and they really are , I'm not stupid enough too expect to eat a whole cake & lose weight )I would not enjoy the plan or stick to it ! So I'm happy to plod along !?

But also I think we need to remember that the Mung bean wraps are soooo filling! You're not going to be snacking on them either as you fill them with healthy and filling ingredients, I don't think it is food abuse as they are filling and for how much they fill you up they're low calorie compared to a wheat tortilla wrap!

leah717 said:
can't wait to try these! there were no split mung beans so had to get whole. I'l make sure to give them plenty of soaking time.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Made mine with whole ones no problem at all !!
Going to be making some this eve !

leah717 said:
how long did you soak them for? I thinking of making them mon or tues. I like the garlic/chilli idea!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

2 days is plenty ! Just did them with garlic & chilli , next time 2 chillies, taste was too subtle !!

Hi...Do you blitz then with water or do you have to drain them dry.....They sound gorgeous and if the picture in the earlier post is anything to go by they will taste gorgeous too.. I love Mexican food and it never seems the same without a wrap..... An Answer to my prayers..I make a lot of chapatti's too so could use these instead of....Thank you x :D

We had these last night and they were amazing. I added water until it was about the thickness of thick pancake batter. Once the pan was really hot, sprayed it with fry lite and spread out a ladle full as thinly as I could.

They cooked quickly, and I found I preferred them once they were fairly brown on each side.

Added lots of salt and pepper, also some herbs, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and ground ginger.

Got loads left as I agree they are hugely filling

Made these a couple of times - now grind them more and put more water in them and make a pancake type batter.
Kept in the fridge for 4 days and they also freeze.

MUNGBEANWRAPS.jpg

MUNGBEANWRAPSWITHROASTEDVEG.jpg

Roasted some veg and rolled them in the wrap.

These sound great....I just read through the whole thread, was there ever an official response from sw about whether they are actually free or not?

Back