Take 100 (Sander's new diary)

Yummmm. Now I'm hungry again! Master degrees or not, you seem to have a ready-made career as a dukan chef, amber :)

Catching up on your diary, and I'm so sorry to hear you've had so many health issues, but I'm DELIGHTED that it's not what you feared! You must be so relieved. This water exercise sounds fab and any chatting up moment is to be cherished at any age!!

I was very interested in the mindful eating notion, and thinking more about how we react when we "wake up" and realise what we have just swallowed. Like you, I merely put my head down and continue, even planning the binges in advance, and buying in stocks, once I'm off.

However, I'm realising that I quit smoking with Allan Carr's book remarkably "easily" (if that can be said without sounding cocky cos it was blooming hard going from 30 a day cold turkey...). I was using a forum too for help and one thing which has stuck in my mind, but I can't remember now whether it was from the forum or the book, and this was to "pity the smoker". So if out and about and you smell someone's cigarette and are tempted, "pity him" rather than envy him. (I do remember someone suggesting we imagine his body and what that cigarette is doing to him as he smokes it... graphic thoughts galore there!). It worked for me as I can distinctly recall looking at someone and thinking just that!

How can we relate this to weight loss? I have tried the "pity her arteries" tactic, when drooling as I watch someone tucking into a cream cake, and I guess it worked as I didn't grab it from her hand and run! Can this sort of mind play work for us when we've had some food that has made us feel over full and almost sick and, rather than simply waiting for that feeling to pass to continue the damage, try to concentrate on what we are actually doing to ourselves physically and mentally? Definitely food for thought there.

Sorry to mind wander on your thread but your posts got me pondering!

Hang in there. Your hubby sounds so supportive x

Amber, pumpkins scones sound delish, I made a pumpkin gallette that was pretty tasty :) but they are so soft - I am looking forward to hearing how yours turn out :)
Jo - you are always welcome to take over my diary - I get lonely out here! The pity concept is an interesting one. Last night I was at my sons soccer game and there was a young girl selling candy bars for a fund raiser. They didn't appeal, so I wasn't tempted. But there was a young girl about 8-9 I guess who was definitely on the unhealthy side the weight battle and she was munching on what looked like healthfully prepared snacks, veggies, apple slices, etc. She got up threw them in the garbage and came back to her parents and asked them to buy her a candy bar. Both parents were fit. They refused and she went and pouted and wheedled with her friends to get one and none of them did. She definitely wasn't happy, but I was so thankful to see that everyone in her group was working together to help her overcome temptation. I did pity her a bit, but for her age and frame comparatively she was heavier than I am, so if she had gotten that candy bar I would have been dismayed.

Having a rough PP day today - my mind is wandering and I am having that I must eat feeling - even though I know I am not hungry. I have had oat bran porridge, yogurt, 3 chicken breasts, an egg, a cup of cottage cheese, a sf jelly and its not even 2 in the afternoon yet. My stomach is actually painfully full but I am still in the EAT EAT EAT mode. So this means I am unhappy about something - but I don't know about what. I hate this depression crap - what more can I do.

OK - positive thoughts - it is a beautiful day. I get to go to aquacise this evening. My house is clean :) I am still employed. My bug count is way down. I have no meetings for the rest of the day. DH is still DH. DS is still a well-adjusted teenager who is a joy to have around.

Sounds like me sometimes. When I'm at home on my own I can eat 3 meals before lunchtime no problem! I think I'm a boredom eater instead of an emotional eater. Well, I'm probably both :)

Hope the rest of the day went well and you had fun at aquacise. You still getting chatted up in class? :)

Like you, I merely put my head down and continue, even planning the binges in advance, and buying in stocks, once I'm off.

Me too - I used to look forward to my little binges, even encouraging my other half to go out of the house sometimes so that I could gorge myself in secret (ironically he'd go to the gym, blissfully unaware that I was stuffing away a whole packet of Jammie Dodgers and box of chocs all the while!)

It's easy not to binge when you are in the zone... But I know that if I had one sweet out of my tin of Christmas Quality Street (£4 in Tesco the other day) - the whole tin would be gone before you could say "toffee penny" (and probably the Roses and the Celebrations too!) I'm terrified of food and eating "normally" - kudos to you for what you are doing Maintainer!

Sander, I'm tempted to gatecrash a local fat club, if only to hear discussions like the ones you have at yours, they sound really interesting and make a lot of sense. The good doctor tells us to eat when hungry - on days like this, don't fight it, eat a whole chicken! If it's emotionally driven, then I hope you can put your finger on it. Love your positive note at the end :)

(I still have a full tin of last year's Christmas chocs - Heroes my favourites - in the "naughty cupboard". While the seal is still on, they're safe. My OH can't understand why I won't let him open them! haaaaa! I do like to have stocks around, weirdly enough, and absolutely hate feeling or knowing there's nothing around "in case" (ie when staying with other people I always have food in my bag - often fruit - just in case they don't feed me enough and I feel too greedy to ask for more!)

Fill your boots Sander. I know that at times protein just isn't what we fancy and that's where perhaps some artful cookery could help. Have you tried Trudy's microwaveable chocolate mug cake, for instance? (Uses your oatbran and a tolerated ingredient but at least it tastes like REAL food!)

Thanks for the support everyone! I did fill up my boots (chicken and yogurt times 3) and my stomach hurt so bad all night - but I was down a pound this morning. Weird. Aquacize was a killer workout last night - we did 420 jumping jacks interspersed with running, skiing, and ab tucks. I am so sore. DH gave me a back and shoulder rub, so hey, it was worth it :) Got horrible cramps in my arches and Achilles tendons and all the ladies were telling me to eat bananas before coming to class. Guess I should check out which proteins have high levels of potassium.

Hi Sander,

I've just caught up on your diary from the start and it's been a great (and emotional) read. Your battle is so familiar to me and I love hearing about the things you're doing to overcome the eating urges and figuring out WHY you want to eat.

Looking forward to continuing to read about your experiences and am wishing you all the positive energy you need to make this work. You're doing incredibly well - keep going. :)

Joodle x

Wow - Joodle - you went back to the start, I'm impressed :)
The thing that gets me is that every time I think I've got it beat and new challenge comes on. Sometimes I think my quest to discover "why" is part of what keeps me fat. As long as I have problems then I have an excuse. But life is never going to be without problems, so I need to stop looking to food for the answer. And when I get in a funk and go off the deep end, don't obsess, just sort it and go back on the right track.
I've been offline for a few days, so I need to catch up my story.
Had a pretty decent weekend, had a one glass of wine on Saturday and a bread stick on Sunday, but other than that stayed on plan. Been fighting yet another virus, that seems to be the way autumn goes.
Today am taking it pretty light food wise because last night I had stomach problems and couldn't keep my protein down, so sticking with yogurt and eggs today instead of meats. Even though those are two of my least favorite foods, they are easy on the digestion.
Fat club last week was down another 1.75 lbs - wasn't the best loser, but that's OK - I like some of the other ladies to do well.

Well done Sander, the weight is going the right way - I hope you feel better soon. Yoghurt and eggs can be hard to face when you're a long-term Dukaner, but at least they're "safe"!

Eggs and porridge for breakfast today. Not feeling too poorly, but still feeling rather off food so will just take it easy and not plan much of anything. There is not much non-dukan friendly food in the house anymore, so even if I wanted to go on a tear I couldn't do much damage - somehow a feast of old pasta with no sauce doesn't tempt me :)

My food supplies are rather humorous - I have about 100 pounds of beef (I bought half a side of beef earlier this year), 20 pounds of chicken, 10 pounds of pork, 10 pounds of fish, 3 dozen eggs, 2 quarts of oat bran, 16 pots of yogurt, 2 heads of romaine lettuce, 1 head of cauliflower, 1 head of broccoli, 4 onions, 2 green peppers, 2 red peppers, 1 yellow pepper, 1 cucumber, tomatoes from the garden, zucchini from the garden, carrots from the garden, 3 tins of lite coconut milk, 3 packets of tuna, 7 packets of sf jelly mix.

Woah, that's a lotta meat!! I'm the same though - I live alone but from the state of my cupboards, fridge and freezer, you'd think I was personally responsible for feeding the British army. Not sure why.....

Ain't no party like a Dukan party! (Except parties with booze I guess. And cheese. Oh.)

Sorry Sander!!

So THAT'S where I've been going wrong....

SO my flippant attitude about a Dukan party put me in a break diet mood and I had two glasses of wine with my chicken curry last night. Then I had weigh-in today - and I only lost one official pound. I was down 3 before - oh well - I know better and I had a very fun evening so no tears here. DH was cautioning me - he is only 1 pound away from TW - and I said if he didn't want to indulge that was fine - and he said - Oh no - I'm almost done I don't care about my choice, but I don't want to hear you complain tomorrow - so don't look to me for permission.... I said - fiddle faddle - I still have at least 8 months of dieting left and occasionally I want to blow off a little steam - I've had a good week, I think I can afford to have a small indulgence. I was so out of practice with the corkscrew that I ended up spilling at least a glass all over the counter :)

Haha! Glad you enjoyed the wine but I do feel bad about contributing to the Dukan party on your diary. I will be very good now.

Wishing you a fabulous Dukan day!!

Jx

Back