Taking up running

Well i ran my 10k yesterday, although when I say ran i mean ran, walked, crawled, spluttered ect - It was ok though. After the halfway marker it was easy but next year i'm going to run the entire thing

It was the Cancer research 10k run - i felt like passing out at times, especially as it was so hot yesterday!

Well done Jen, that's fantastic. So what was your time?

I did it in an hour and a half - rubbish time, but about what i was expecting!

That's not rubbish at all. Well done you. You should be really proud! :D x x

Hey Jennyonaplate, well done! Wow, I would be thrilled to jog-walk-crawl-splutter a 10K race; at least the race would be done. You did it!!

Hey Jennyonaplate, well done! Wow, I would be thrilled to jog-walk-crawl-splutter a 10K race; at least the race would be done. You did it!!

Yup, that's a pretty accurate description of how I got round the course!!!

well done Jennyonaplate!

I finally have my new trainers! I went to up and running in Liverpool and they were so helpful! Had my running style analysed on their treadmill and it turns out my ankles tend to roll inward when I'm transferring the weight from the heel to the toes. So now I have a shiny new pair of moderate support trainers that are rather snazzy and only cost me £58. (oh how I love student discount!). I can't rate the shop highly enough, the staff were so helpful and they even offer to change your new trainers up to 14 days after they've been bought as long as they haven't been worn outdoors. I know I sound a bit like I'm being paid by them (i'm not lol) but just can't get over how fab they were as I felt a bit daft going in at first.

So now it's off for a run this afternoon and I can't wait!

Hi Rachel agree the correct shoes are so important! I completed the great south run yesterday but not as quick as Paula Radcliffe! lol I also ran my first Flora London Marathon this year and will be doing it all again next year... I'm a really slow runner but crossing the finishe line is the best bit no matter how long it took you to get there... I record all my training on www.fetcheveryone.com and it gives predictions etc. Also invested in Nike + sports kit... best £20 i spent as records run details , how fast and calories burnt etc

Hope it went well Rachel. The correct shoes are just so important for running.

Indeed! Thanks x the trainers have made a huge difference, my shins are still a bit sore when I'm running but I think this is just because they're not used to the impact yet so it's all going slow and steady at the moment but great fun!

I started running again nine weeks ago after a six year lay-off. I was sooo unfit and couldn't run half a mile. I went out every day on a 2.5m circuit doing a run/walk. At week seven I ran 13miles non stop. It was hard, but I could have gone on a bit further. I now average 30miles a week, plus a 1hr swim, 1hr circuit session and 1hr session with a PT. I am doing the Midnight Sun Marathon in Norway next June. I have pushed myself and have had some bloody awful runs, in awful weather but I know I will always feel better afterwards. My goal is not to be last and to run the whole distance. It is a pretty serious run and there are usually only about 500 runners. It's a hilly course but I live in the Lake District so I am getting pretty used to getting up the hills. I lost 2 stone with Cambridge earlier this year and have since lost another five pounds. I have toned up and apart from the knee and ankle pain which are the runners constant companion, I feel really well. I don't have the horrible monthly cramps that used to put me in bed for days. I can't recommend running enough and can't remember why I ever stopped! So, if you're sitting on the sofa reading this, pull on your trainers (that's always the hardest bit!) and get outside. The first two weeks will be horrible and you will feel like you are running in treacle but it does get better with perseverence and when you run your first 5k without stopping you will feel amazing. You will stop eating crap, will feel energised and will lose weight, will miss it if you don't get a session in and best of all it's free!

I'd love to run again properly (seriously) but my shin splints just keep playing up...am trying to convince myself that they will be okay soon, have even got new expensive correct trainers for my gait and foot type, etc...but every time I rest and try again, bang! Major pain...but I am determined as I find running relaxing...just want to be able to do it pain free...here's hoping...

Shin splints are truly evil! I found that I still had pain at first but I started only doing a little bit each time and that seemed to help, also I found the cold makes the pain much worse so I'm only running on the treadmill at the gym for now in the warmth! Hope that might help x

Snap, as it gets damper and colder, oooh they smart way more...am hoping like last time I took up running that they will wear off/go away...feel fine after the 15 minute HIIT run I did today on the treadmill...tomorrow that might all change, might be back to heat rub and ibuprofen gel...here's hoping though it does improve...small steps as they say...

No aching today after the HIIT runs and jogs and walks on the treadmill yesterday...fingers still crossed...nearly whooping but not until this happens a few times...

Back