Taking up running

Well after my gym triathlon and coming fourth because I didn't sprint the last 1.5km (the run) I have decided to work on my running and seriously start to use it as a main cardio device (despite preferring spin class, cycling and rowing)...and also am reading two books by Dean Karnazes the ultramarathon man...he is so inspiring!!!

Right lower shin was painful last night...today it is fine...think the damp and cold set it off for a day...all in all the new running shoes and the taking it easy have paid off, I seem to be in less pain and able to run more...YEY! (think it is safe to whoop now)

So come next week I have a whole new training programme to set up to include runs (not on the treadmill). Will talk to my personal trainer Tuesday before our session as he is a marathon runner himself. Excited but nervous too to be making the transition. Might seem easy or simple to some...

Hey all.

Can I just ask those of you that have "proper" trainers a question?

Did you go & get your running styles analysed at a place with a computerised treadmill thing?

If you did how long do you have to run on it?

OH has offered to take me to our local shop & buy me "proper" new trainers for Xmas but I can't run for that long yet & don't want to make a fool of myself in front of a shop load of fit people!! :8855:

Hey all.

Can I just ask those of you that have "proper" trainers a question?

Did you go & get your running styles analysed at a place with a computerised treadmill thing?

If you did how long do you have to run on it?

OH has offered to take me to our local shop & buy me "proper" new trainers for Xmas but I can't run for that long yet & don't want to make a fool of myself in front of a shop load of fit people!! :8855:

You don't have to run for ages, just so they can get the jist of how you run and can capture some moving pics on the computer...yeah I had the treadmill/computer thing...it's really shocking to see the difference a proper pair of trainers makes to your running!

Good luck and have fun, it's a GOOD investment as injuries and things take ages to sort...my shin splints are almost manageable - i.e. they are under control now and they don't give me much pain with the proper trainers for my feet.

Ooh shin splints are not playing up as much as they used to have been running lots...just my right lower shin seems to ache at times...I'm happy...Bristol half here we come...am also going to cross train on the rower and try and get some big distances in with this type of training...so with running and rowing I should be able to endure the distance...fingers crossed, have been looking at training plans, I know you have to prepare about 4-6 months before...so am not beginning yet, but running to try and condition my body a bit more as I cannot run for too long without wanting to stop still...

Back