Taking up running

How fit where you when you started? If I follow the training programme it says that in 2 weeks I will be able to jog for 5 minutes solidly and I'm going to give it my best but i'm really not that confident lol!

I was seriously unfit when I first started, but you do improve quickly I promise! I was really struggling to run for a minute before, but fortunately that passed.

You reach a stage when you can carry on running without getting anymore out of breath, which is quite strange for someone as unfit as I was! I've been finding now that I do still get really out of breath, but not until the last minute or so of the session, which I think I can deal with!

Alright, that does it! I'm starting tomorrow. Can't do it by imagining ot only; time for action now. Well done Rachel M & Jenny, thanks for inspiring me to get up and go!

I find i have to get my running stuff on as soon as i get home, otherwise if i sit down i never get up again and getting out of the house really is the hardest thing!

I had to properly sprint about 150 metres this morning to make my train, and not only could I now do it without dying, but I had the cab drivers cheering me along - I found it so funny, but at least i made my train!

It's on the Cancer Research Run 10k website - I've found it builds up nicely, for me it seemed more appealing than other beginners plans that seemed to have you running loads right at the beginning!

Run 10k : Training

I would advise using a stopwatch as to start with you think you've done much longer than you actually have, and then as you get better you've actually done more than you think!!

Thanks Jen I will definitely look at the site.

I totally agree with you in terms of gettin up a go. Right now Im at work with my running stuff (for after work), but sumthing inside me just wants to go straight to my car! The thing is I used to run 5 times a week either morning or evening and I didnt find it a problem. That was even 4 months ago. Plus I used to go swimmin on the same day as well!

Now I just cant push myself (physically) to do it anymore. Deep down I really want to. I work by a really big heath and I admire the people I see running and want to be a part of that, but I just cant dig deep enough.

However reading these messages 2day, I really have no excuses ;) I will put on my kit a jog 2nite cos I want to!

Hopefully if there is enough air in the world after I've finished gaspin it all :D I will let you kno how it went.

Wishin you all the best on your 'fighting fitness' quests!

Peace

I find i have to get my running stuff on as soon as i get home, otherwise if i sit down i never get up again and getting out of the house really is the hardest thing!

I had to properly sprint about 150 metres this morning to make my train, and not only could I now do it without dying, but I had the cab drivers cheering me along - I found it so funny, but at least i made my train!

Oh and well done on your achievements so far. Soon you can miss out the train and run directly! :bliss:

Oh and well done on your achievements so far. Soon you can miss out the train and run directly! :bliss:

I work over 60 miles away from where I live - I don't even want to ever try to run that distance!!

I work over 60 miles away from where I live - I don't even want to ever try to run that distance!!

Hey young lady no mission is impossible. It would be like running two marathons back to back :p

Anyway Im proud to announce, I DID go running 2nite. It was great, I truly don't know what all the fuss was about. Ran 2miles. Infact so happy I will be going 2moro mornin.

So thank you guys. If I hadnt read you logs 2day I might still be sittin on my rear instead of moving it!

Peace x

Morning all, can I ask if any of you are having trouble with your knees?

It's probably just to do with my size but it's not the running that's causing me the problem it's the fact it's hurting my knees.

I'm wondering if maybe I should try to lose some more weight before I try & run.

Any ideas?

I would recommend knee supports too. I had a bit of trouble with my knee to start with, it still feels a bit wobbly sometimes, but it's ok now.

Make sure you rest it for at least a day in between sessions if it's giving you trouble

Thanks. That's what I was hoping you'd say!! lol

The guy at the gym suggested holding off till I'd lost a bit more weight and going to see my doctor but I figured he was just being over cautious to cover himself.

I'm well aware of what I'm capable of & just wanted to see what you all thought.

Off to Boots at lunchtime then!!

Hi Frijj

Do you run on the pavement or grass? If pavement, try the grass. It is softer and will cushion you run a little more.

Apparently you get fitter quicker on grass too as it's uneven you use more muscles.

You weigh less than me and i'm doing ok, although to start with i had lots of aches and pains, i think as my body got used to doing something! The way the training schedules ease you into it though as ideal for getting used to running.

Well as I live in sunny Bognor Regis!! :giggle: I run on the beach as I thought that would be easier on my joints than running on the road until I'm fit enough so stand it.

As I said before my fitness levels aren't really the issues it just the aches!! lol :rolleyes:

I joined the gym in May when I started on my weightloss journey but my aim was always to try and be fit enough to run loads by next May so I could hopefully ditch the gym membership and save myself some cash to buy a new wardrobe full of clothes!!! :D

I'm loving this training schedule though. To be honest I never thought I'd be able to run at all.

Thank you; I've started running!

Finally! After reading and getting inspired by you all, I started today. I have decided to use an interval-training podcast. I went this morning and quite enjoyed it even though I did get a bit out of breath. I felt all revved up and virtuous after the session!
There are 2 running podcasts programmes that are available to download for free from iTunes:
1) Podcasts for running - Couch to 5k. A nine-week programme.
I thought this was very good as the guy uses lots of verbal prompts and ypou know exactly where you are, but I didn't enjoy the music, I found it a bit harsh and acidic!
2) Podrunner intervals -it has 3 programmes: First day to 5K, Gateway to 8K, and Freeway to 10K.
This covers a lot more as you have a programme that can train you up to 10K. The music is not as harsh and it has the beats specifically timed. There are less voice prompts though.

On the whole, either of these progrmmes is excellent. I plan to continue with the Podrunner intervals.

Thanks again for inspiring me to start with your posts on this thread!:)

I know, It was only seeing my friend go from being 4 stone overweight and unfit to running a marathon within less than a year that made me think I could do it too.

i'm not aiming for a marathon, just the 10k for now!

10K is a marathon in itself!! lol

Have you got one planned so you're aiming for something?

Well done Trimlee, that's great. So where did you find that podcast stuff??

Back