Tales of a Synner - time to track and take action!

Btw your weight loss is incredible and inspiring! X
Why thank you - I've found so many people inspiring on here it's great to think someone else might be spurred on by my efforts.

Sunday lie in? Bah no. Had to have kids at the dad's for 10 am so decided to get my first round of circuits in. Managed just over half I think, some of the stuff I couldn't remember properly and some I am sure was done wrong but I felt pain and sweat, so that's enough for me! 1000m rowing, 100 cals biking and erm, 100 cals waving?!? it sort of like a stepper but sideways ... wound down with 45 mins swimming. Hopefully it gets easier ...
RED DAY?
Hungry this morning so had porridge with 2 tbsp oats, 1 tbsp ground almonds, water, spoon raisins and a tsp maple syrup. Flipping gorgeous it was too. HEB (oats and almonds as only 1/2 serve of each) and 3 syns
Lunch - Rocket topped with stir fry bacon, red pepper strips, mushrooms and spinach cooked in 1 tsp coconut oil. 1 1/2 syns.
Dinner - Braised chicken and chayote with onion, chilli and garlic. (A totally new recipe and no idea what chayote tastes like)

Just ate half a chicken - feathers & all it feels like. (OK it was a breast but it's not dinner time & I had breakfast and lunch today plus some black tea) Why am I soooooo hungry today?

Just ate half a chicken - feathers & all it feels like. (OK it was a breast but it's not dinner time & I had breakfast and lunch today plus some black tea) Why am I soooooo hungry today?

Haha... You make me chuckle..! Some days are like that hey but at least it's free food?
so far today I've had a bacon and sausage (skinny lizzie's are a god send! ) sandwich some baked beans and a banana! Only had 3 and a half syns so I can have a couple of my Terry's orange segments tonight!! Making a tuna pasta bake for tea from one of my old slimming world mags.... Already planning this weeks meals then no excuse to cheat! Xx

So after having an absolutely calorie laden dessert last night - but boy did it hit the spot - today's meals are basically all the odds and ends hanging around the fridge :)
Discovered you can turn chayote into something akin to cooked apples, apparently a big fave with Atkins followers but I didn't want to use processed low carb sugars so I went all out with mine ... Par boiled half a sliced chayote then put it into frying pan with a tsp of butter fried it for a little bit then put into a dish topped with some ground almonds and chopped hazelnuts. Tsp of maple syrup drizzled over the top and under the grill for a minute. Yum. Some rhubarb in it would have given me dessert heaven.

Hour gym (mostly cardio) and 45 mins leisurely swim. Brunch - leftover bacon soup mixed with leftover squash soup and half a dozen hazelnuts.
Afternoon - black tea and a banana.
Dinner - Braised chicken and chayote from yesterday with mixed leaves, cajun chicken wraps with red peppers and mushrooms for the kids & pasta salad.
Supper - to be decided.

So after having an absolutely calorie laden dessert last night - but boy did it hit the spot - today's meals are basically all the odds and ends hanging around the fridge :)
Discovered you can turn chayote into something akin to cooked apples, apparently a big fave with Atkins followers but I didn't want to use processed low carb sugars so I went all out with mine ... Par boiled half a sliced chayote then put it into frying pan with a tsp of butter fried it for a little bit then put into a dish topped with some ground almonds and chopped hazelnuts. Tsp of maple syrup drizzled over the top and under the grill for a minute. Yum. Some rhubarb in it would have given me dessert heaven.

Hour gym (mostly cardio) and 45 mins leisurely swim. Brunch - leftover bacon soup mixed with leftover squash soup and half a dozen hazelnuts.
Afternoon - black tea and a banana.
Dinner - Braised chicken and chayote from yesterday with mixed leaves, cajun chicken wraps with red peppers and mushrooms for the kids & pasta salad.
Supper - to be decided.

What is Chayote....?

What is Chayote....?

THey also call it a chow chow - which I thought was a dog ... anyhows they are in my local supermarket as their exotic offering of the month.It looks a bit like a large green pear. Part of the gourd family , so technically a fruit - I had it with braised chicken and butternut squash last night and it was like slightly undercooked potato but absorbed the flavours of the stock and chilli really well (when reheated tonight it was a bit softer like potato in a stew) - nicer texture I thought than sweet potato which goes quite mushy.
Lower carb than potato, sweet potato, squash etc.
And you can make dessert with it too ;) Worth trying if you come across them cheap but wouldn't search them out.

THey also call it a chow chow - which I thought was a dog ... anyhows they are in my local supermarket as their exotic offering of the month.It looks a bit like a large green pear. Part of the gourd family , so technically a fruit - I had it with braised chicken and butternut squash last night and it was like slightly undercooked potato but absorbed the flavours of the stock and chilli really well (when reheated tonight it was a bit softer like potato in a stew) - nicer texture I thought than sweet potato which goes quite mushy.
Lower carb than potato, sweet potato, squash etc.
And you can make dessert with it too ;) Worth trying if you come across them cheap but wouldn't search them out.

I work on produce and never heard of them... Tempted when back at work to order some in... X

I work on produce and never heard of them... Tempted when back at work to order some in... X

They were a new one on me, I always buy the weird and wonderful fruit and veg specials. Artichokes were a huge disappointment but think they were seriously old and musty when I bought them (had only had them in oil or vinegar before) - not often I declare something inedible but they were. Been looking for persimmons here but no luck yet, thought it was sort of the time of year for them. Oh, working on produce do you ever get the yellowy fleshed or purple sweet potatoes in ?

yes we do the purple barletts roosters and the orange flesh ones... we have sharon fruit (persimmion) in all the time and they are in season right now so quite cheap... x

Off to look for some this week then - just seen a recipe were they simply grilled them and then added some honey - could adapt it with stevia or syrup as hate honey. Really wanting some desserts lately but not doing grains - so this should be sweeeeet. I never think of grilling fruit apart from strawberries & it's only warming it up - not really stewing it, anyhow I'll have em as syns.
I think Roosters are regular potatoes with the pinky/purple skins? Rather than yams? Hawaiian Sweet Potato is the sort of thing I'm after. (Apparently better for cooking as do not go as squishy as the orange flesh ones). I am sure if paleo diets catch on they'll soon be available - after all not so long ago a butternut squash was a real novelty.
Speaking of syns - 2 squares of Lindt 85% chocolate with my tea. divine.

Last edited:
Hungry day but wanting protein not carbs ... Brunch - bacon chop, mushrooms, spinach and a tomato. Late Lunch - slice home cooked turkey and slice home cooked ham with a mixed salad. Black Tea and 2 squares Lindt 85% chocolate. 6 SW chips but skinny ones (too many for kids). Supper depends on whether K is coming down tonight - will eat a proper dinner if he is and if not then it's squash and sweet potato soup.
Oh and tried my suit on again this morning - jacket is ok & the trousers now fasten but my thunder thighs make them look like a sausage skin .... hoping kettlebells and my gym workout will help solve that by Valentine's ....

Hungry day but wanting protein not carbs ... Brunch - bacon chop, mushrooms, spinach and a tomato. Late Lunch - slice home cooked turkey and slice home cooked ham with a mixed salad. Black Tea and 2 squares Lindt 85% chocolate. 6 SW chips but skinny ones (too many for kids). Supper depends on whether K is coming down tonight - will eat a proper dinner if he is and if not then it's squash and sweet potato soup.
Oh and tried my suit on again this morning - jacket is ok & the trousers now fasten but my thunder thighs make them look like a sausage skin .... hoping kettlebells and my gym workout will help solve that by Valentine's ....

I am sure it will... Food sounds good... I am off to watch Les Mis tonight... Taking a bottle of water with me and grapes... I might sneak a bit of salted popcorn... X

I am sure it will... Food sounds good... I am off to watch Les Mis tonight... Taking a bottle of water with me and grapes... I might sneak a bit of salted popcorn... X
I don't think you can legally enter a cinema without eating at least one kernel. My DD2 loves the stuff - does nothing much for me (although cheese and onion sounds pretty good) but at the cinema I eat it! Enjoy and congrats on hospital news - bet you loose another 2lb this week after you let out the sigh of relief!
I have just been looking at sausage making machines - not as expensive as I thought £40 plus postage would get me going.... and could then do my own mince as well - not sure if it just a whim, so will sit on it for a while. I also want a vitamix but no chance of affording one of those anytime soon.

Weight loss is a bit up and down but they have tanita scales at the leisure centre and according to them I have lost 2% body fat in the last month. So happy with that - definitely think my inner thighs have reduced a bit, must be all the swinging - kettlebells I hasten to add.
Did my first boxercise class last week instead of aqua - found it really tough and I have a problem with my coccyx bone sticking out and all the sit ups really hurt and actually gave me a pressure sore! Need a cushion in my pants! Also did 3 kettlebells classes - 30 mins each and two quick swims, just don't have the time to swim as much if do the classes.
4 days before I see if can fit into my trousers!

Weight loss is a bit up and down but they have tanita scales at the leisure centre and according to them I have lost 2% body fat in the last month. So happy with that - definitely think my inner thighs have reduced a bit, must be all the swinging - kettlebells I hasten to add.
Did my first boxercise class last week instead of aqua - found it really tough and I have a problem with my coccyx bone sticking out and all the sit ups really hurt and actually gave me a pressure sore! Need a cushion in my pants! Also did 3 kettlebells classes - 30 mins each and two quick swims, just don't have the time to swim as much if do the classes.
4 days before I see if can fit into my trousers!

Blimey you have made me tired just reading that Sarah... Other than that how are you? X

Hi 'Chelle - having one of those two steps forward, three back type of months with life in general. Lots of little unexpected expenses and kids growing so fast - took DD's new jacket out I got in the sales and it barely fits ... can't focus on where/what I want to pursue & knowing I'll only be living here another 6 months or so makes me lazy about giving something my all - keep thinking about a shop unit in town but it would give me a hell of a lot of expenses, not least childcare for the kids. One day I'm ready to go for it. the next it seems a terrible idea ...

Today's Eats.
1/3 tin of grapefruit in juice and 2 tbsp raw oats. Breakfast
2 slices of ham and a banana (after I'd taken kids swimming)Snack.
Chicken and Veg Soup. Lunch. Strawberries and grapes.
Pea Shoots, Rocket, berries, grapes, slice of ham and small wedge of wensleydale cheese. Dinner.
Tulsi Tea.
Syns - French Fancy. 5

Really noticing how I choose and genuinely prefer to choose much healthier foods and I'm naturally avoiding a lot of grain products without much hardship. My portions are also about half of what I would have put on my plate when I started.
Maybe I can have skinny knees :D

Hi 'Chelle - having one of those two steps forward, three back type of months with life in general. Lots of little unexpected expenses and kids growing so fast - took DD's new jacket out I got in the sales and it barely fits ... can't focus on where/what I want to pursue & knowing I'll only be living here another 6 months or so makes me lazy about giving something my all - keep thinking about a shop unit in town but it would give me a hell of a lot of expenses, not least childcare for the kids. One day I'm ready to go for it. the next it seems a terrible idea ...

Today's Eats.
1/3 tin of grapefruit in juice and 2 tbsp raw oats. Breakfast
2 slices of ham and a banana (after I'd taken kids swimming)Snack.
Chicken and Veg Soup. Lunch. Strawberries and grapes.
Pea Shoots, Rocket, berries, grapes, slice of ham and small wedge of wensleydale cheese. Dinner.
Tulsi Tea.
Syns - French Fancy. 5

Really noticing how I choose and genuinely prefer to choose much healthier foods and I'm naturally avoiding a lot of grain products without much hardship. My portions are also about half of what I would have put on my plate when I started.
Maybe I can have skinny knees :D

Re the shop unit? Would it be better to sell online? Etsy? EBay? Just thinking it could keep your costs down...
I am finding the changes to my diet are taking effect too... I am still doing SW but tweaking it along the healthy vs processed route... The one thing u find hard with SW is I get the plan, but they promote you eat stuff like pasta and sauce packs and mugshots, but limit good stuff like bread and dried fruit... So doing a bit of my own thing with it now I am at target...xx

Know what you mean about SW. In emergencies of when I really am being lazy I'll have a cup a soup but not the free pasta and sauce, mugshots etc but I do tweak and have dried fruit and maple syrup on my porridge or raw oats - it's not every day and I think it's much healthier than the artificial sweeteners (although I'm going to get some dried stevia leaves as they are natural). I cook some food in coconut oil as well, I'm not a fan of frylight or low fat spreads anymore.
While I like the basis of SW I think at times it can be a bit too quantity over quality obsessed and it's quite easy to consume way too many calories whilst still being "on plan".

Today's food round up ....
Had a bite of DD's pancake. 3 grilled rashers and 3 half tomatos. Breakfast
Beef Stew (no spuds) and brussel sprouts. Lunch
3oz steak with one parsnip and half a sweet potato in the actifry. Supper.
Large Vodka and fresh ruby grapefruit.

Did some logos and some other stuff for a friend in vinyl - went to drop them off and I'd missed a line off the logo and so I have to do it again. I was tired while doing them last night and made other mistakes - I should have just gone to bed. Got to do them all again now. :(
Fell out of bed and managed to get kids to school by the skin of their teeth. Went for a swim and really enjoyed it. K bought me a waterproof mp3 player for Xmas and I must find time to get it out of the box and figure out how to use it - thought I could listen to some Tony Robbins, see if he can help me find my focus ... and if not then I can thrash up and down the pool singing to the Levellers ...

Back