Taz's diary - Need to do this!

Morning,

Tail? Knees? last time I saw Taz she was slim and lovely.

Hi Taz, glad you have worked out a plan of action x

:mermaid:She still is Jim - but growing a nice little tail due to all that swimming :mermaid:

LOL, I like the mermaid Gem. Nice one.

For a long time me and Mr Taz have wanted a pet but we have problems with where we live. Cats is the first choice but as we live on a busy road a cat would have to be kept inside which would not be practical as the only place it could stay when we are out would be in the lounge/kitchen and I don't like the idea of a cat having free run of the kitchen! I like cats to be able to come and go as they please so without viable outside space I wouldn't entertain the idea. Mr Taz likes dogs but I told him I would only ever have a small dog but he would only want a big dog so dogs are out of the question. So we are thinking that we will be petless until we buy a house - until today!

I have always wanted a rabbit but there are foxes in this area so again not possible. Then I saw something I have never seen before: a giant house rabbit! it's the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen and spent ages asking questions about the rabbit and how they live and not only is it a pet I'd love it's also very possible for us to have here. It would be fine for him to have access to the kitchen as it wouldn't be able to get onto the worktop, they are fully train-able and they are territorial so they don't try to run away as soon as the door is open. The one I saw today is 12 weeks old and a little bigger than a standard full size rabbit and will grow to the size of a small dog - too big to get itself lost! You can walk it on a lead for exercise too. You can keep them outside but they are perfectly happy as house pets and are similar to a cat or dog but with a calm nature and a little more docile.

Most of our friends have kids or pets and we have neither. I would so love to have a giant rabbit.

That'll make a lovely pet Taz, our neighbours have one called bugsy, and he is enormous but so tame and friendly.

it's not a whim at all Jim, I have always wanted a rabbit and when I first saw it I thought, as always, that it wouldn't 'fit' but when I got all the information it makes so much sense. It doesn't have the same problems a cat/dog/child would present us with. No jumping, no running away. We'd have to case all our low wires and make sure he had plenty of toys to keep him happy but even when I am back at work I am told he would be fine to be left to his own devices and will be happy. If he wasn't so expensive I would have snapped him up! I have seen some for sale privately for a lot less.

They make lovely pets Taz, I've been reading up on them, but I always knew Bugsy was good. He likes to come and play in our garden occasionally. :)

He lives indoors taz, but they let him play in the garden when it's nice and you can't really loose a rabbit that big, he gets into our garden through a hole in the fence, he's really playful though, and loves being held and stroked.

Awww I wish my mum could see the positive side. I told her I wanted him and she flatly said it was a bad idea! He would be great company for me and a great pet. She thinks we won't have room for him but all we need is space for his bed, litter tray and food

have you got a spare room Taz, I have a friend who has a house rabbit and its 'base' is in the spare room but it hops all over the place. The one thing I would say bout the lead thing is that although they sell them I know they can be quite dangerous (defo in guinea pigs so i would queery it with rabbits) apparently when the animal goes to dash off the lead yanks back on the animals back and can cause a snapped spine. Kepp us informed though. I saw one in Pets at Home it was about £150 if I remember correctly, so defo not cheap as you say. Keep us informed xxx

No we don't have a spare room but our lounge is 20'x11' so he would have space. The one I saw was in Pets at Home too and is £129 although I have seen one for sale privately for £40

any rabbit can be a house rabbit taz. not just a certain breed!!

what breed is it you are looking at that costs that much? any rabbit can be house trained...

have just been looking at the giant rabbits taz and they only have a life expectancy of four years!! i'm not sure i could get a pet i would get so attached to if that was it's life expectancy...

abz xx

Back