Tell me about the first time you went to the gym

I remember mine clearly:D, i was sooo bloody nervous. But i joined with my husband so followed him around for the first few days then gradually i realized that there were people of all sizes there. And some really big ones and some of the usual body perfects who walk around in the up to the minute gym clothes trainers etc wiggling there bits at the instructor's(men included lol)and you start to just get on with it like everyone else.

Im now about to join David Loyd as i canceled my membership at virgin last week. And im nervous again as its new but excited too as its better than the last gym lol

Don't join up till you have seen a few places please trust me on this!.

Choose two and nip in with your husband and say your interested in joining. But would like to see the gym and what they offer. They will either get someone to show you then or book you in at some point within a few days. Please do this as gyms vary and dont just pick one cos that seems closer easier and so on, because you may find after you sign up you dont like it. So it is best to get a look at two or three and they are always lovely as they want your money lol .And some gyms may have a pool and sauna and different classes .You also might not like the staff at one but you might love the staff and atmosphere at another .

When you choose the right one,most gyms do a induction to find out what you want to use the gym for?. And will do you a work out that is invaluable for the gym inept like myself lol, as they show you how to use the machines and what to do .

And then just take your time if you are anything like me after as few weeks you start to love going (a must for me is a pool jacuzzi and sauna and great changing rooms lol i like to indulge after a two hour workout lol ),So if you want to join a gym that's my only advice trust me im now just about to join my third gym in two years lol but this is the one i wanted to start with and very very posh the footballers use it lol iv been told not that i know one from another but there cars are lovely lol

well its a council run one so we dont have to join, thats just an option to save each time, so we should be okay - to be honest if that isnt right for us i dont know where to go next as the private gyms are too expensive if we are going to keep it up for years.
theres a pool and maybe a sauna there, not sure, never had one before, think i would get a bit claustrophobic in one.
Loads of different classes available but we just want the main gym.
yes it mentions an induction to the machines, didnt realise they actually instruct you whats best for you - now even more nervous lol!:eek:

Lol at you with the footballers,:cool::D

Hi!

I have just been put forward by my GP to take part in a 12 week scheme called 'Get Active' (at the council run gym/sports centre) - it's aimed at people who basically need to improve their health and incorporate exercise into their life style... to be honest although I agreed to it I felt a bit resentful too cos I feel I've been pushed into it and whilst I will do it I'd have preferred to do it in my own time (I'm such a control freak....lol:eek:)....

That said I had my assessment last week - form filling, weighing, measuring, BP, basic health check asked what I liked and didn't like etc... and then from that the lady worked out a programme for me - for me it's not just the gym and working 3 full days and with 3 young kids going to the gym all the time isn't always possible... so she's suggested other stuff... example.... she gave me a pedometer to count my steps each day and each day try and increase it.... to maybe go walking/swimming/cycling with the kids and OH - this I might do when I've lost more weight and feel confident....

I went yesterday for my induction to the gym and whilst I was nervous and really hacked off cos I couldn't get a baggy enough tshirt to wear (I hate things that cling on my tum....:eek:).... I got there and the girl who took me around was so lovely and made me feel really comfortable - the programme was 45 mins and is very basic cardio stuff - bike, treadmill, x trainer and a few light weights - for now.... you get a special 'key' which basically has your programme set into it (everything is computerised) and you plug it into each machine and it pre-sets the machine... eg... I do 10 mins on the treadmill at the lowest setting... put the key in and it automatically sets machine at this..... I told the girl I felt very self-conscious about my size (I'm about 18 stone:cry::eek:) and when was the best time to come (ie. quiet) she told me about the quiet times and also about the fact they have a smaller gym which hardly anyone goes in and I was welcome to go in that....

I will have a 6 week check up to see how I'm progressing and I think at the end of the 12 weeks I can opt to continue.... to be honest not looked that far ahead yet....

So despite my misgivings I did actually quite enjoy it and feel it will help me with my weight loss....

Like honey has said - some of the gyms will just be after your cash - but if it's council run then it's there for the benefit of the town/city yeah it might not be as plush or as stylish as a private gym but at the end of the day the equipment is the same in all of them and at a fraction of the cost it's worth it...

Good luck xxx

oh lordy i didnt realise they would keep a check, maybe thats just for the scheme youre on though?
i kind of just want to pick what i want to use when i use it - well at least to find out what i like. Last thing i want is to be told what to do there.

I'm really just wanting to weight train and use the treadmill.

i'm going to ask when its quiet too as theres a good chance i'll have a panic attack and i'll need to lie down or leave, and i dont want people thinking i'm having a heart attack and they are to just ignore me if it happens not make a fuss.

I'll end up talking myself out of this but i really want to go inside, i'm fed up of not doing things i want to and exercise makes me feel better about myself.

actually when i get a doctor i might ask about this scheme then at least as its from the doctor theyll know what problems i have,
this actually sounds the better option for me.

the complex where the gym is i imagine quite high tech, i know it has air con and sky tv, this seems high tech to me lol.

Breathe, relax, you CAN do this DBL ROW and you will LOVE IT, I am sure. You outta be able to do whatever you feel comfortable doing, they will probably just show you how to use the machines you are not familiar with etc. No worries, just think how wonderful you will feel toning up that bod even more, you are gonna give flower a run for her money, I know you are. You have to do this, you owe it to yourself to do it, no worries hubby will be there with you and he can hold your hand on day one if you get nervous. The following days you will look back on your fear, and giggle...

oh lordy i didnt realise they would keep a check, maybe thats just for the scheme youre on though?
i kind of just want to pick what i want to use when i use it - well at least to find out what i like. Last thing i want is to be told what to do there.

Most gyms when you go do an inducation and talk through what you would like to do - or what areas you would like to concentrate on... you would just have to tell them your likes/dislikes - etc - at the end of the day your the paying client so you do as much/little as you want... their aim is to try and gentle push you to improve over a period of time.... to be honest once you've been given a programme they won't necessarily monitor you unless you want them to and you can go as often or as little as you like and do what you like...!! I had a gym membership for over a year and went twice...:eek: noone ever chased me up for non-attendance..... though I think with this one the doc might be unimpressed if I don't participate.....:rolleyes:

I'm really just wanting to weight train and use the treadmill.

If that is what you want to do.... tell them!!

i'm going to ask when its quiet too as theres a good chance i'll have a panic attack and i'll need to lie down or leave, and i dont want people thinking i'm having a heart attack and they are to just ignore me if it happens not make a fuss.

I'm sure you'll be fine.... just tell them how anxious you are and they'll be 'gentle' with you.....!!;)

I'll end up talking myself out of this but i really want to go inside, i'm fed up of not doing things i want to and exercise makes me feel better about myself.

You'll be fine..... it will be worth it in the end - and it'll make you feel much better about yourself... to be honest I think the thought of it is worse than the actual doing it... once there everyone seems pretty intent on actually exercising and not taking notice of what anyone else is doing...!

actually when i get a doctor i might ask about this scheme then at least as its from the doctor theyll know what problems i have,
this actually sounds the better option for me.

Not sure if it's a country wide scheme.... or if it's just for Coventry (where I live..of course!!).... ask - there may be the same or something similar....

the complex where the gym is i imagine quite high tech, i know it has air con and sky tv, this seems high tech to me lol.

Yeah thats actually pretty standard I think.... this one isn't the flashiest place I've been to but it has air con (imagine the smell if it didn't.....lol:eek:) and tv screens..... also the machines have place to plug ear phones in and you can chose which tv screen to look at or listen to one of the music channels... or you could of course take and MP3 palyer or IPod but I haven't either of them....:(

Good luck whatever you decide - you will enjoy it once your into it - and at least your with your OH to give you support and encouragement....:D

flower, can he hold my hand while i am on the treadmill? well we are newleyweds !!! Yep youre right I HAVE to do this, it's the next stage - I didnt come this far to just stop did I? NO !!!!

Mich you are a sweety, I'll take my mp3 then i can get lost in my own little world. It seems I am thinking they will all be health fit ogres, when really DOH! they are in the job to help other people - i think i imagining old gym teacher mentality.
Lol no not an air hostess, to be honest this sig was found in haste from the first site i went to! It's kind of how I imagine i look in my head even though reality says otherwise - one can dream!:nightf: barbies mum would be more apt i think :break_diet:

well i have decided we will definately take that first step and just go. It wont be this week though as t.o.m. so maybe end of next week, grab the bull by the horn and turn up!

air line stewardess hey? roflmao!!!!!! TRUE STORY I think I just wet myself ahhahhhhhahhah

flower, can he hold my hand while i am on the treadmill? well we are newleyweds !!! Yep youre right I HAVE to do this, it's the next stage - I didnt come this far to just stop did I? NO !!!!

Mich you are a sweety, I'll take my mp3 then i can get lost in my own little world. It seems I am thinking they will all be health fit ogres, when really DOH! they are in the job to help other people - i think i imagining old gym teacher mentality.
Lol no not an air hostess, to be honest this sig was found in haste from the first site i went to! It's kind of how I imagine i look in my head even though reality says otherwise - one can dream!:nightf: barbies mum would be more apt i think :break_diet:

well i have decided we will definately take that first step and just go. It wont be this week though as t.o.m. so maybe end of next week, grab the bull by the horn and turn up!

Just get in there and do it..... MP3 player on and you'll be in a world of your own.... I've had a look at your before and after pics... they are fab - I'd give anything to look like your after pics.....:D you know what - and I mean this in a nice way - no one will even look twice at you in the gym..... you'll just be Mrs Average.... if you know what I mean..... I found that when I'd lost 6 stone... I just 'blended' in and looked 'normal'..... I think in our heads we still think people are gonna stare but then what makes us so special....lol!! They are more likely to look at the 80's time warp dolly stuck in her lycra with a thong chaffing her bottom....lol:eek:

You'll be amazed at some of the 'sights' your encounter - trust me....;):D

i hardly leave the house mich, not without someone anyway, thats why flower is having a larff;)

thats why its a biggy for me to even consider going to a gym, it's a biggy for most people, but its a hugey for me, but i went swimming yesterday after spending ages talking myself into it and in the end we had a great time! There was a woman who got in wearing a dress, and i thought good on her, heres me worrying about some wobbly bits when i walk from the changing room to the pool, and theres someone else in a dress just getting on with it having a laugh and some exercise!

Yep I'll be listening to tenacious D while i work out, it always gets me fired up into a good mood!

Thanks about my pics, i hope i will just be miss average, i cant help thinking i still look like the befores though and the camera is just being flukely kind. i'm not at that acceptance stage yet of hey i look okay, sometimes i have those moments but then i start nit picking.

My best hope is they see me as someone who just wants to shape up but i'll probably tell them how big i used to be just so i have impressed them from the get go before i even do anything! if my speed is slow well at least they know i managed to lose weight, so theyll see i am trying.

Awww bless ya ...... I didn't realise it was such a 'real' problem.... didn't mean to sound flippant...:eek:

I'm sure your OH will go with you as often as it takes to feel confident to be able to go on your own....:)

It does take a while for your head to catch up with your changing body - I remember that from last time (before I put all the weight back on...:eek::cry: - bad year last year.. nuff said...!!)

Hope you get along just fine.....:D

dont worry mich, actually wouldnt be a bad idea for me to get a passport as you need one for nearly everything these days! you cant join a bank without one!!!

ahh youll get the weight off again, least you know where youre heading which i think helps, you know what its like and where you feel your best. it's good to have a goal you have had.

dont forget 8pm, ch4 tonight. off to watch it!

Yes get that passport, then you can come to America to visit flower.
Hey Mich, yes rowan transformation is phenominal, she has been my inspiration since day 1, she looks FABULOUS! ok, what does oh mean, I know the husband part, but is the o for ornirary or old? Yes bring your tunes so you can jam while sweating up a storm. By the way didn't you think mich was talking about flower in her gym attire? Yup, I am all for wearing thongs, but I wear mine underneath my clothes...

OH = Other Half.....!!

Glad to hear your wearing thongs under the gym wear.....;)

Where in the US are you Flower????

Back