The 14st Curse: Ellie's journey

Like Clarri said - just a blip - good loss for next week x

:) well I'm doing well. Had my stylist session on monday, and it was SO good! She absolutely summed me up in how I dress/like to dress, and then gave me a few pointers of things that might look better, but mostly was really encouraging creativity and experimenting. Also went through what colours look best, hairstyle that might suit, suggestions for makeup etc. Same for mum, she had a great time too. We went shopping after and picked up some nice stuff.
Since then every day I've been dressing, I've been doing different things and every day I've had several people randomly complimenting me on how I look. Even my supervisor in a group meeting today looked at me whilst talking to the group, stopped in midsentence and said "Wow you look so Different!".. Woo! (I'm doubly impressed because he's a man, and men are not noted for observational skills unless it hits them in the face). And it was my lucky day cos the day I decided to curl my hair (which I've only done once before) and put some nice makeup on, we had photos taken for the yearbook. Yessss!

Also I joined the gym last week, and although didn't have time over the weekend - I was away - I went both yesterday and today. Actually, today I was going to do a pilates class but it was cancelled so I decided to do gym instead.

So I'm doing well! haven't weighed and have no idea how I'll do tomorrow, but I have decided to re-shift my focus back to doing exercise every day and eating a bit less every day. The scales will sort themselves out.

What a fabulous boost Ellie - Good luck with the weigh in too. You are right though, the numbers are only a small part of the equation but it is the most visible to ourselves so we often get hung up on them x

I just realised something. Although my weight is over 14st *again* which is incredibly frustrating because I thought I was out of the range of 14st now. But nonetheless rather than feeling this is an ok size, I feel too big and I feel like I need to get it off again. I notice it round my tummy area in particular. Which means I have made progress! I have adjusted to being smaller and want to be below 14st again! That is encouraging, because it's taken a while. So now I just have to tackle those evil squatters and get them off before they get too comfortable there! So I'm re-motivated.

Go Girl. Success is just around the corner x

Gem, yes you are right that success is right round the corner. Sometimes I feel I'm taking 2 steps forward & 2 back, but actually I do have moments where I realise I've made progress. That was one of those little moments.

So far today I've been very angelic: just had natural yog & honey for breakfast (lots of protein to keep sustained), and homemade ginger, pumpkin & coconut soup, and fruit for snack. Oh and a couple of rich tea biccies but they're not un-angelic I think :)

I'd love your soup recipe Ellie - sounds yummy x

Hmmmmm I reckon those squatters might be having a laugh with me. Week before I reckon it could've been just a weird reading: I didn't have a great week. Is it possible to have extra glycogen weight or something? If glycogen is the weight you lose in the first week, then surely you can gain glyco weight temporarily? This week, I reckon it's TOTM. I looked in the mirror today and I swear I look thinner. I tensed my stomach muscles all up and apart from one bit in the middle it was flat! I definitely Feel like I am getting thinner again as well..

So I'm hoping maybe it's just TOtM and squatters ganging up and having a laugh with me. ??

Here's hoping eh.

You know what? If I were you I'd ignore the squatters, whether they be glycogen or TOTM squatters, and I'd focus on living healthily and enjoying life. I'd focus on celebrating how far you've come. You're doing fantastically Ellie and I really don't think it's good for you to be putting pressure on yourself to be under that *14 stone*. You should go for what feels right for you not what number you think it right on the scales.
Keep on being an angel :angel:

Great post Silence - it's not all about the numbers, it's absolutely not!!! You may be building muscle and your body may be adjusting to a new shape. The important thing is you are feeling healthier and looking trimmer - well done, enjoy it x

:D You are both so absolutely right. It's so easy to get caught up in the numbers on the scale and it's not right really to focus so much on them.. After all even if you're maintaining, and even on VLCD's your weight doesn't drop constantly each week: some people even gain some weeks even on a VLCD.
And.. having said that, just to prove my point about weight fluctuation I jumped on the scale this morning and I've lost 2lb. So really weight is such a silly measure as it doesn't tell about muscle and fluid retention etc - as you quite rightly said, Gem.

Sounds like a smile Ellie - keep smiling x

Thanks Gem.

Well whether it's because I've been reading a few feminist writings on weight and weight loss, or because of Gem's post before, I've been really trying to refocus on getting fit and healthy rather than slim. You know I actually feel pretty good at the moment - I love feeling fit - being able to power walk up a hill. Or yesterday doing an aerobics class and being able to bounce my way through right to the end, ok I worked up a sweat but that's the point! I've been getting heaps of compliments - and noticing so many people just looking at me when I've been looking elsewhere, & catching their eye. Suddenly I realise that maybe I do want to lose a bit more but it's actually way more fun not punishing myself with it and just enjoying my body.

So I will weigh in each week but I think I want my aim now to be exercise 4 to 5 times a week. Eat a little less than I need every day and try to include a greater amount of fruit and veggies in that. The weight does not matter because I'm actually pretty happy with my body. :)

Great post Ellie - You Go Girl - that's so the right attitude!

Eeks! I signed up for this NHS weight loss program thing; you get paid to lose weight. I forgot about it and now it's kinda kicking into gear, so I have to lose 20lb in 3 months, and keep it off for 9 months. Eeks. still it'll get me to goal or thereabouts if I can do it. Might sign up for weightlossresources or something to help me keep vaguely on track.

Zomg.

I've been reading some pretty interesting research. Apparently the obesity epidemic is bull-poo made up and perpetuated by pharmaceutical industries and the media. The Lowest group for mortality rates is those who are 'overweight' - i.e. bmi 25-29.9. The highest mortality rates are in those who are severely underweight, or severely overweight (bmi over 35). Even then if you control for the deaths caused by surgery, health complications from diet pills, health risks caused by yo-yo dieting and going on fad diets, it pretty much accounts for all of the deaths "caused by obesity".
Apparently although obesity has been correlated with health risks such as diabetes, heart disease etc no cause has ever been established. In fact some studies have been done comparing healthiness of people who have had 10kg taken off with liposuction, and those who were overweight but haven't tried to lose weight - instead have had a good diet and exercised. The healthier group were the latter.
In older people over 65 it's been shown that being "overweight" actually causes lower mortality rates.
In fact the only health risk associated with actual obesity itself, is osteoarthritis caused by wear and tear to the joints. Certainly not the crisis perpetuated in the media!

Back