The Battle Of the Bulge - week 3!

thanks hun i cant believe it either, im guessing my body is feeling flipping relieved at the fact ive lost some tonnage at last, lol. you should try swimming, its really good.. i can understand why you dont want to go because i didnt, but i see people their that are even bigger than me and ive had noone stare or make a comment towards me at all. infact most of the people have been really friendly :)

i was exactly the same at uni, i think its because there was always more work given for me to do than was ever physically possible to cram in, so i was constantly overworked and stressed so i binged.

Yeh, uni's like that, I plan on being much better next year, moving out of halls into a house, so we'll ahve a proper (red CLEAN!) kitchn that I can use.

Yeh, well, aside from the whole cringeworthyness of being that naked in puplic I'm also ravingly allergic to chlorine and my hairdye has a tendency to dye everything within a 2 ft radius pink when wet...but i might still give it a bash, I could get one of those plastic swimming hats we used to ahve to wear at school...

Up to much this week or just enjoying the last of your employment free status?

ooh, chlorine allergies, that doesnt sound good at all.. the hair thing is pretty funny though, lol, i can imagine you leaving a trail of pink in your wake as you swim along! ive noticed since ive been swimming more that the colour has been coming out of my hair a bit too, now its a lot blonder than before... hmm, i should post a pic of me actually, i've seen everyone else so i can't hide in the shadows forever.. i had a look on my pc and ive seen that ive done a remarkably awesome job of avoiding any kind of photographic evidence about the fact that my ass now needs its own postcode.. so instead here's one of me pulling a funny face taken a couple of years ago (i think at the time i was about 280lbs *sigh*)... 280lbs is pretty much the thinest that i have been in my living memory, lol! my face looks a lot more defined than it does now, ah well, 21lbs and i'll be back their!

ooh, and yeah, i'm just chilling out this week, gettign everything prepared for starting work by tidying, sorting my clothes out and getting everything in order. i'm really looking forward to actually getting on with it now and starting on monday :) i have 4 weeks training in a classroon first before they actually let me loose on people so hopefully that will ease me into it fairly gradually!

attachment.php

Last edited:
You are as pretty as a picture, thank you for putting the photo up. I bet you didn't imagine three weeks ago that you would be personally inspiring other people. I always mean to google it, and then forget, could you tell me how many pounds in a stone, is it 14? What sort of work will you be doing at the insurance company when you start?

minus four - aww thanks hun, and yeah 14lbs in a stone! ooh and im going to be a claims assessor for the insurance company:)

Day 16
how come some days are sooo easy and others are bloody tough? well today was a hard one! i got up at 5.45am because i couldnt sleep and went swimming for 7.30 for an hour! so yeah, started off great. but this afternoon i got munchy and eat some junk, which i know i shouldnt have :/ i pulled it back though by not eating any tea.. havent had any food since about 3pm.. i feel starving, but i know i'd prefer that than to go crazily over my calories and i can eat some filling and healthy foods tomorrow to make up for it.

food eaten
3 boiled eggs and 3 slices of toast - 550
tuna, sweetcorn salad pittas - 550
2 packets of quavers - 174 :(
cadburys caramel nibbles - 196 :(
total - 1470

so yeah, JUST within target.. i'd have done a lot better having fruit and a big bowl of cereal in the evening rather than crisps and chocolate, but i learny my lesson, if you snack on too much crap you go to bed hungry. and i know i shouldnt deprive myself and yadda yadda, but at 21st 7lbs im not exactly gonna starve overnight and hopefully it will teach me some self control..

exercise
swimming - 1hr

i'll go to bed soon anyways before i get any more hungry! ill see how my body feels tomorrow, atm its pretty worn out from 4 days in a row at the pool, will rest tomorrow probably, or go in the evening to the pool..

I love reading your diary because you're always so positive, and rightly so, you're doing so well :)

Aw hun you probably got the nibbles bacuse you were tired after having gotten up so early (mornings = boo hiss!)

Pretty picture! Think how freaking amazing you'll look when you reach your goal!

Yeh chlorine affects any dye, including tattoos, not sposed to go swimming for at least 6 weeks after a tattoo for that reason. But yeh, epic trail of pink, dying unsuspecting swimmers as they paddle past, I doubt it'd be appreciated, lol.

How do you work out calories? I must google this, twould be good to know how many calories in things like eggs n toast, that don't have packets with it written in bold on the front. lol.

Haha good luck getting organised, that's always the fun bit, with the lists n stuff. Ooo so close to the new job, shame about the classroom though, twould be amusing to be let loose on the public straight away!

Rigby - aww thanks, i am feeling really positive about everything so far. i guess i dont see losing the weight like a chore, its a choice i made, and i can spend the next year moaning about how hard it all is or i can accept it and try and see the best. atm im feeling better and better every day though and more positive. yeah some days are tough but the good outweighs the bad so ive nothing to complain about :)

Pink! - i use a calorie calculator on another site (caloriesperhour) and just generally look at the backs of packets all the time, lol. most bread has 100 cals in a slice and medium eggs are 80 each, large 90 :)

minusfour - thanks! so far so good but we're only at lunch time, yesterday afternoon was when i really felt the pain!

Day 17
spoke to work today and found out i'll be working 9-5 for my training, but in reality will be finishing for 4pm as apparently in training people always get out early :) thats not bad at all considering i'll have an hours lunch, so only 6hrs of actual work for 4 weeks, hehe :D hopefully that should ease me into it pretty gradually!

still not sure if i'll swim or not tonight, i could have a rest day, already done 4 days in a row but i'll see what i feel like tonight.. theres a session from 8pm-9.45pm so i could go then.

food eaten
honey nut cornflakes - 250
clementine - 35
king prawn arrabatia ready meal - 340
mini pizza with onions and peppers - 350
glass of milk - 150
ww yoghurt - 56
total - 1181

exercise - rest day

3.30pm - i'm noticing lately that im getting absolutely starving in the afternoons, now my body is getting into the new routine of loads of exercise etc it must have really speeded my metabolism up. plan for the rest of the week to try and combat this is to have my main meal at lunch time and something smaller in the evening. this is meant to be better anyway as i'll have more time to burn off the calories. think i'll try the same thing at work next week, have a really decent sized packed lunch and just a readymeal or soup for my tea when i get in.

8.30pm - well i didnt really feel hungry at all this evening which is good so i just had a yoghurt and glass of milk (craving dairy). decided to lay off the swimming tonight and have a well deserved rest.

Last edited:
Just wanted to join in and say what a wonderful job you are doing in your weight-loss journey. Your diary has been a great read so far, has made me laugh, as well as being inspirational. You are definately on the right track, keep it up!xxx:party0011:

Have you had a good day?

It might be worthwhile for you to increase your intake of protien- which doesn't look low incidently- to try to fill you up more. One of my sisters swears by drinking a large glass of water before each meal, (and she has lost a lot of weight), but I didn't personally find this to be effective.

You have a great attitude!

shaz - thanks :) i realised when i read that that i have difficulty accepting compliments, i was gonna disagree and say "nahh im not an inspiration dont be silly", but its nicer to accept a compliment than dispute it. guess my confidence and self esteem still have a way to go, but i'll get their! oh and dont worry, definately gonna keep it up, 11.5st to go yet!

minusfour - yeah im having a good day so far, how about you? just got back from my swim and tucked into some lunch! you might be right about the protein thing, i definately need to have something filling for my lunch or i'm starving all afternoon, though ive found the last 2 days that the hunger trails off by 6/7pm and then i feel satisfied all evening. might try that water thing though, i dont drink nearly enough so even if it doesnt keep me full it will help with that!

Day 18
had a really long lie in today until 11.30am, woke up feeling lovely and well rested, and a bit lazy! decided to get dressed and head straight to the pool, after my rest day yesterday i wasn't achey at all and the hour in the pool passed effortlessly. i'm noticing that im getting a lot quicker at swimming and tire less easily :)

tonight will be a bit of a challenge because its curry night :rolleyes: chicken tikka massala, egg fried rice and popadums from my local indian is pretty much food of the gods! i went to find out how many calories are in it and saw this: "An average chicken tikka masala takeaway, with pilau rice and and plain naan contained 1,338 calories and a total 55.5g of fat". damn.. i know i dont have the naan, but i have egg fried rice instead of plain so it might be about the same.. if i had a chicken tikka massala i wouldnt be able to eat anything else pretty much all day except a bowl of cereal in order to lose weight. so that rules out me having my fave food from now on... at least on a weekly basis like i used to (okay, bi-weekly then, lol).. i might let myself have a curry every 4 weeks or something so i dont feel like im depriving myself too much. though atm, after seeing what's in one it put me off, no matter how good it tastes it can't be as good as losing weight feels :) so tonight i'll stick to having the chicken tikka starter (basically 6 pieces of chicken cooked in spices) for about 250-300 cals, still tasty as hell though so i dont feel too sorry for myself!

ooh, i just got an email through, my contract from new job.. looks pretty decent - 25 days holiday a year, bonus every march... i'm really looking forward to monday now and gettign started, ooh and its weigh in day too! if i've lost again this week (and cant see why i wouldnt have based on how i've done so far this week) then i'll be going with a really positive attitude :)

food eaten
tuna and sweetcorn salad pittas - 550
mini pizza with onion and red pepper - 350
chicken tikka starter - 300
total - 1200

exercise
swimming - 1hr

Last edited:
Oh that job sounds fab! pretty cushy stuff :) what kind of hours will you be working once you've finished training?

OMG there are that many caloirs in a tikka masala? Christ, I used to hvae one every pay day with my mate, so like every 2 weeks, with rice and tikka starter, and sag aloo and a whole naan each, that's mad! Do miss it though. lol.

I've heard lentilsare supposed to be really filling, i was just going to try chucking some in a regular casserole n see what happens...have yet to buy any though.

Have a look at some jars of sauces for curries- if you cook it yourself you can really cut down the amount of fat you put into it, and a ready-made low fat source is really quick and easy. Don't deprive yourselves, you can have a treat once in a while :)

You've inspired me, dear girl!
Indian food isn't quite as big here as in the UK- I've never had a take away curry, although I have been to indian resturants. I make curry either from a pack, (pouch) and add lentils, chickpeas, and any veg I have in the house, (usually lots), and serve this with brown rice. (No meat, we are vegetarian) This is a reasonably low cal option- about 450 cals for a very filling meal. I have also made it from scratch- this is much lower calorie, about 300, (use low fat coconut milk, half the oil, etc), but it needs to simmer for an hour, so it takes a while.

My day has been a bit mixed. I snuck on the scales this morning, (I only weigh in fortnightly, and am not due to for another week), which indicated a gain of a couple of pounds, (I don't think I've put anything on- TTOM imminent), which put me in a bit of a mood, which took some recovering from. (Out to the kitchen I marched, demanding to know from dear OH why we always have to have benches covered in newspapers. You would think my heart broken by a couple of broadsheets. I did leave the scales out as a hint!)

Luckily, it has got better!

It is a long weekend here- Monday is a public hol to celebrate the Queens Birthday- and I have big plans about catching up around the house, and getting on top of my paperwork. (I run a country dental practice-owner and dentist- and really need to keep on top of the paper work for each role. Which is a big chore!) In fact, I'm gunna start the minute I'm finished here!

Have a great day dear girl!

pink! - well my hours change over 3 weeks as part of a rota, so i'll be working mon-fri either 8-4, 10-6 or 12-8, tbh i think i'll actually like the later shift better as i can get my exercise out of the way with first thing and then when i get home the time is my own to relax :)

rigby - yeah i might have to try the jars of curry sauce, they just dont taste the same though. and you're right of course, a treat now and again is a good thing, i guess im kinda afraid if i have one bad day that i'll go off the rails or something. maybe when i've been doing this a couple more weeks i'll have the confidence in myself to know that i can have a curry if i want without spoiling everything and going back to my old ways...

minusfour - thanks :) i'm wanting to learn how to cook, planning on buying a couple of low calorie cook books from amazon when i get paid, maybe my first creation will be low calorie curry! :)

im sure you'll see a loss on the scales next week. i'm not looking forward to totm at all now as everyone seems to put on weight or stay the same and it must be so demoralising.

ooh and i find it pretty ironic that you guys get a bank holiday to celebrate the queens birthday and we dont, lol!

Day 19
went to bed really early last night at 10.30pm (early for me anyway!), ive noticed that lately im getting a LOT more tired on a night, from 8pm onwards i could barely keep my eyes open. in the past i'd have a long lie in but now i find that by 7 or 8am i'm waking up refreshed and well rested! it really is completely new to me, all my life ive been going to sleep at 2am or something and either waking up exhausted for work or sleeping all morning!

i woke up at 7am and felt wide awake so decided to hit the pool. after swimming for an hour i was really looking forward to getting back home and having some breakfast but when i got to my car i found i had a flat tyre :rolleyes: spent the next hour waiting for the breakdown recovery people to arrive and sort it out for me. turns out my tyre is totally destroyed so need to buy a new one, looks like my new job came just in time, my car tyres are pretty expensive, £80 each, and the tread is low on another one so need to get two :sigh: ah well, once i get paid i'll start another plan to get my finances back on track and save up, it'd be pretty awesome if by this time next year i could have enough for an apartment deposit and be close to my ideal weight! :)

looking back at my last couple of days calories i actually dont think ive been eating enough.. had about 1200 but on top of that i've been doing an hour of none stop swimming. might have a few more today to make up for it. i'm cooking homemade lasagna for tea which will have loads of calories but i wasnt going to have one myself.. i might calculate exactly how many cals it has and see if i can squeeze it in as a little treat, i dont mind having 200-300 over my 1500cal target today considering how little i've been eating these last few days.

i've also being giving some thought to joining the gym. there's a really amazing one near where i live (bannatynes) that has a pool, gym, exercise classes, jaccuzies, steam rooms, sauna, sunbeds, hair and beauty salon, cafe! it sounds amazing, more like a frikkin holiday resort than a gym! :D its £45 p/m and they want 12 months commitment, so i want to check my new job is okay first and get a couple of pay packets under my belt, but i was thinking for my 25th birthday (16th aug) that if all goes well i'll treat myself to joining. i dont have enough money for a summer holiday this year so i could book my entire birthday week off and spend it enjoying my new gym and making the most of the nice weather (hopefully).

food eaten
small cheese scone - 200
fish pie - 445
ww peach yoghurt - 50
2 clementines - 70
jelly - 20
homemade lasagna - 1000 ***treat of the week***
total - 1785 cals

exercise
swimming - 1hr

***treat of the week** - gonna let myself have one thing that i really crave and desire every week. it could be a meal i love (like fish n chips, lasagna, curry, pizza) or a few drinks, even a bowl of ice cream, piece of chocolate cake etc.. you get the idea.. the only rule is that i can only have this ONCE a week and it has to be on a day i exercise! i think having the lasagna tonight will make me extra good this weekend.. and i didnt really blow the calorie budget too extremely, only 300 cals over and i was 300 under the last 2 days, so it shouldnt have much of an impact on the scales! :)

Last edited:
Cars are such expensive things :( The gym membership sounds good: you really have done well to be so dedicated to your swimming so it sounds like something you'd really make use of.

Bugger about the flat! I really like your treat of the week idea, I think I might borrow that one. The gym sounds like a good idea- really expensive, but you want something that you can feel comfortable with, hopefully you'll be spending quite a bit of time there.

Don't you have a Queen's Birthday holiday at all? New Zealand had theirs a week ago.

Oh gutted on the flat, they're always a pain in the arse!

The gym sounds like a pretty nifty idea, that doesnt sound too expensive considering everything that it has, mum used to pay 70quid a month for the same thing, was in London though.

Yeh the late shift seems pretty nice, having time to get everything done in the morning n then having all evening to yourself.

Gah, lasagne, niiiiiceee! I'm not quite at the stage where I can treat myself without falling completely off the wagon, but you're doing sooo well babes!

Ooh treat of the week sounds good, when i'm free of exams and can do some exercise I might be able to get away with that. Sorry about your car, gym sounds great though =)

Back