The Battle Of the Bulge - week 3!

This journey we're all on definitely has its ups and downs, it sounds like you're doing brilliantly already so hang in there :)

Your doing so well hun! its all about changing your lifestyle and you will get there i promise x

Day 12

well, today was my planned rest day from exercise and i definately needed it. spent all night awake chatting to thomas and we fell asleep while on skype so we could hear each other breathing at about 8am.. *sigh* it was heaven :)

well i was severely tempted today, i woke up at 1pm and had to go into the centre of sheffield to do something.. i was STARVING.. and on the way back my willpower vanished totally and i went to the burger king drive through.. luckily at that point something twigged inside me that resembled sanity and i decided to reverse out, but another car had pulled up behind me! i was like, NOOOO, so i just drove through the whole damn thing without ordering ANYTHING.. i must have looked like suck an idiot doing a drive by at the drive thru, lol, but it was probably the best thing i ever found at a fast food place, control! typically in the past i'd eat a double whopper with cheese meal with large fries and large coke and i checked this out today and it would be 1900 caloires!! that's totally insane! anyways, instead of eating bad i went to the co-op on the way home and picked up pitta breads, tuna, lettuce, sweetcorn and extra light mayo so i could make some yummy pittas for lunch. two pittas was 550 cals and i have 4 left over, so enough for another 2 days lunches for the same money pretty much.

calories eaten
3 boiled eggs and 3 slices of toast - 540
big glass of orange juice - 200
2 tuna slad pitta breads - 550
2 cheese scones - 500
total - 1790 cals :/

went over on the cals today by nearly 300, i gues sits okay to have some days where you eat lightly more as long as you make up for it the next day. so tomorrow my target is 1200 so my 2 day average is 1500.. its gonna be a pan i guess but have already planned out my meals for the day so i know i can achieve this without being too hungry. nows the time to pack my bag for early morning swim and get some rest,

exercise - rest day

p.s thanks for everyones comments on my diary, you really are a lovely lot and i can't belie how encouraging you can all be. i guess i've never in ym life being good with food, so just hearing a "you're doing good" in relation to that aspect of my life is totally alien for me, so thanks :)

Last edited:
That's brilliant about avoiding Burger King like that, you must have felt pleased with yourself to have resisted the temptation :) It's scary when you look at how many calories are actually in fast food.

Well done on the drive-thru drive through! That is will power right there!
Pittas are sexy, I had a salad pitta for lunch today, twas awesome.

The post you made about needing to love yourself first before anyone else really struck a chord with me, it reiterates that we have to be doing this for ourselves rather than for other people.
You shouldnt even contemplate the possiblity of failing, you're not going to, you said it youself, it HAS to work!
x

Good on you, especially the "save" at Burger King, very impressive!

In the past I've become discouraged when I wasn't feeling "enthusiastic" about diet and exercise, which would often precipitate me giving up. Now-older and hopefully wiser- I think that this is just being ridiculously tough on ourselves, not only to expect ourselves to stick to a difficult routine, but also to expect that we will "feel like it" all the time. I bet when you were at Uni, there were many times when you didn't feel like hitting the books, but did anyway. If I'm feeling enthusiastic, it's easy-otherwise it really is a victory!
Keep going, you are doing a terrific job!

well done on resisting Burger King! I'm sure you're not the first person to completely drive through!

Rigby - yeah i was pretty damn proud of myself afterwards too. i just can't believe how many calories that meal actually has, 1900, almost a days worth of calories in one sitting. don't get me wrong its a filling meal, but you couldn't just eat that in a day.. tbh i think its pretty shocking that a big brand like burger king could get away with selling meals that are 1900 calories per sitting, but i guess it shouldn't suprise me, so long as they can make a profit from making people fatter then they will. it annoys me how for so long i bought into that too.. grr!

pink! - haha, yeah pitta's are AWESOME,i liked yesterdays so much that i had the same again today for lunch too. and thanks, i guess people forget that a lot of the time.. i really think a lot of overweight people have the same problem in that we lose so much self esteem and confidence from being the size that we are that a lot of losing weight isnt just about dropping the pouds, its about getting that inner spark back too.

minusfour - yeah thats a very good anology. in an ideal world i guess we'd all be able to click our fingers and go from incredibly bad eating habbits to those of gillian mackeith overnight, but the reality of it is that its a real struggle sometimes. i guess it gets easier with time as it becomes more of a routine, but anyways they say that nothing worth doing is easy, thats so true for weightloss! anyways, at least all days aren't a complete struggle, today i woke up at 7.30 after having a really good nights sleep and actually WANTED to swim and really enjoyed it :)

Ciara - thanks, lol, i felt like a total loon at the time but it was definately worth it! :)

I partook of the pitta lunch again today also, lol. Wasn't quite as satisfying as yesterday, mostly because everyone else in the house was eating KFC and walking the smell about. I'm going to buy some wholegrain pittas when I next go shopping, see how they work out.

'Getting that inner spark back.'
'Nothing worth doing is easy.'
Minimin sayings that should be printed and put on the fridge, lol.

pink! - haha, idk about inspirational phrases, maybe i should just stick a pic of my ass on the fridge, i'm sure i'd stay away then! lol :D

Day 13
well yesterday was a complete and utter struggle and looking at the food i ate DAYM i had a lot of bread: 3 slices of toast, 2 pitta breads and 2 scones! i guess when im having a bad day i really go for the bready stuff! anyways, i was plesantly suprised that i found today incredibly easy. eating right wasnt a struggle at all, i even woke up at 7.30am without an alarm and actually WANTED to go for a swim! :eek:

not really much to add today, had a nice chilled out day, swimming, tea with my parents, this evening im spending time with thomas playing some games on the ps3, bad thunder storm outside atm so im quite glad i didnt go out tonight!

food eaten
cereal - 200
clementine - 35
ww yoghurt - 65
2 tuna salad pitta breads - 550
spag bol - 550
total - 1400 cals

exercise
swimming - 1hr

its funny how one day can be a complete uphill struggle and the next can be so easy. i said that i'd eat 1200 calories today to make up for my 1800 yesterday but instead of doing it all in one day ill make the 300 calories up over the course of a couple of days.. 200 left after today so ill aim for 1300 tomorrow and then my little slip up is accounted for :)

Sounds like a sensible plan balancing everything out over a couple of days. I think everyone needs the odd off day, it's the only thing that keeps us sane right. If bread's what you were craving your body probably needed it, which was why you felt so good today.

Haha yeh, If I lived alone I'd have pictures and motivational comments on the fridge and in every cupboard, lol. I'm thinking about just getting a tattoo on my wrist instead, lol.

Glad to hear you had an easier day. I must get some pita bread. I'm in Australia, and it is winter here, I'm having porridge twice a day at the moment-90 secs in the microwave, 130 cals, and sweet to boot- ticking lots of boxes for me!

Pink! - the tatoo sounds like a cool idea, i was thinking something similar actually when i get to goal weight as a reward for how far ive come and a reminder never to go back to how i was... but im not gonna get too far ahead of myself, afterall i'm still only 2 weeks in!

minusfour - ooh porridge, ive actually got some in atm too, i think when i start my new job in a weeks time im going to make sure i get up early enough to make some for breakfast, hopefully it'll be filling enough to last me until lunch without snacking :)

Day 14
well its only 2pm but so far the day has gone fairly well. i woke up at 9.45am and went for a swim straight away for an hour. that means ive been 5 times again this week so in total 10 times in 2 weeks! :) i's really like to keep the 5 times a week swimming thing up when i start my new job in a week but i dont know if ill be able to so i guess my target for when i work will be 4 times a week. i can go both weekend days when i'm off and 2 evenings so it shouldn't be too taxing for me, and if i have time to go 3 evenings in the week then of course i will, i just dont want to get too burnt out an exhausted.

i guess in a way im nervous as hell about starting my new job, not because of fear of the unknown or meeting new people and learning new things- i love all that - but because for the first time in my life my diet and exercise are going amazingly well and im worried that it'll be a lot harder to maintain while working full time. im really glad that i'll have (hopefully) 3 solid weeks under my belt before i start so i've got some momentum to continue. i guess the key to it all is just to be a LOT more organised. plan my meals out at the weekend and make sure to pack my lunch every night while im cooking my tea. ive already decided that im going to take pitta breads for my lunch every day - either tuna salad or chicken salad - they are so delicious and really filling. then for snacks on my break i might take some fruit and get some low calorie crisps like quavers. there's a big tesco right next door to work so i can always pick up something healthy for my tea on my lunch break or when i finish. as much as i like the convenience of ready meals the weight watchers ones are only around 300 calories and tbh i dont find them filling enough. i really want to get better at cooking, one of the easiest things in the world is pasta, sauce and veggies (onions, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn) and its filling and delicious..im just way too lazy to make it half the time!

food eaten
carrot and fennel soup with 2 slices bread - 450
homemade fruit salad (clementine, plum, banana and yoghurt) - 230
quavers - 87
chicken tikka starter - 300
total - 1067 cals

exercise
swimming - 1hr

-----
went way under on the calories today, i guess i can eat something else later if i feel like it but atm im considering going to bed pretty soon so i probably wont. plus theres weigh in tomorrow morning. is it silyl that im nervous about seeing a number on a scale? lol.. i guess i worked hard all week for that number to go down *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find losing weight as hard as you think when you start the new job. You're already so dedicated to it (your regular swimming puts me to shame!), and working will give you a more structured day. As long as you've planned ahead and bought healthy things to snack on then I think you'll be absolutely fine :)

rigby - i really hope you're right! i think the routine and structure to my days will definately do me some good like you say, i guess once ive got into the swing of thing i'll be fine, its jus tthe first week thats gonna be a total shock to my body!

week 2 weigh in - lost 6lbs!!!
sw - 22st 6lbs (314lbs)
cw - 21st 7lbs (301lbs)
gw - 10st (140lbs)
total lost so far - 13lbs
left to lose - 11st 7lbs (161lbs)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

i feel like dancing!! not in my wildest dreams did i imagine losing 6lbs in my second week, i thought my losses would have stabled out a bit to 2-3lbs a week. i've nearly lost a whole stone in 2 weeks, thats madness!!! and you can all see tht i've been eating well too and doing it right, im not starving myself, i'm not really depriving myself of anything, well, except a 1900 calorie burger king, lol!

well i'm in an awesome mood right now! monday really is a fab day for getting weighed because as long as i'm losing then when i start my working week i'll be driving their with a huge smile on my face! :)

well i'm gonna go and get something healthy and fab for breakfast, ooh and i get to update my stats and all the challenges, wo0t! it feels so good to be a loser, way better than any chocolate cake could make me feel! :D

arghhh, im so excited, i'm actually gonna DO this! im more motivated than i've ever been, and yeah ive got ages left because i'm still a whale but its going to be an amazing journey! :)

ooh and i'm 301lbs, so next week i'm gonna not only break the first stone lost barrier, but also get into the 200's! noone will have ever been as happy to be frikkin 200lbs, lol!

That is great news, congratulations! I too think you will find it easier to stick to your eating plan when you start working, I always find weekends harder. I eat breakfast at 7.30, and then don't get any sort of break until 12.30 for a snack, so I have experimented with breakfasts that fill me up- the best so far is porridge, and half a protien bar, (60 cals), I have the other half as part of my lunch.

To help prevent starting any new poor habits when you do start your new job, (coming from the woman who had to have a cake every single lunch time during the week, to "recover" from the morning, or "brace myself" for the arvo-took me years to stop this), can i suggest that you build in some non food treats- a nice walk around at lunch time, new goggles for swimming, a new CD- whatever- to help you thorugh your first couple of weeks. I know you will be happy, and successful, but change can be scary!

Well done, I'm so happy for you :D

rigby - thanks im dead chuffed :)

minus four - ooh, treats! that sounds like a good plan actually, its nice to get rewards, and get into the habbit of having no food rewards too. in the past id always treat myself to chocolate or take out. now i think i'll start treating myself to something special. i was looking what this could be and i found some gorgeous charm bracelets by a brand called "truth", the are really pretty and i could add a new charm every time i lose a stone or meet an important target (healthy bmi, etc). so when ive got paid i think i'll be looking at getting one of those, and hopefully every time i look down at my wrist ill be reminded of how far ive come and how far i have to go.

Day 15
12 hours on from weigh in and im still feeling over the moon with my 6lb loss this week. today has been amazing, some days i really struggle, like last friday, but these last couple of days have really seemed to click into place for me and everything has been going great.

went shopping before swimming today and picked up my food for the week, got lots of veg - onions, mushrooms peppers- fresh soups, healthy ready meals and salad stuff. i was craving pizza and was suprised when i found these yummy looking mini pizza's (margarita) for 40p each with 270 cals in! they'd be lovely for a lunch or a snack with some veggies on so i bought 5 and threw them in the freezer :)

gonna go shopping again on sunday and keep it a weekly thing, with tesco next door to work i can always pop in and pick up fresh stuff, but i think if i plan my meals ahead for the week i'll do a lot better than if i go to the shop every day and pick things up on a whim.

had a really nice swim today and actually in the boot of my car found an old gym bag with another swimming costume in it, now i have two! :) im not sure yet if i'll swim tomorrow or take a rest day, i've done 3 days in a row again so my muscles might be achey tomorrow, i'll decide when i get up based on how i feel.

it seems funny but i used to think a stone was a lot of weight and anyone who lsot a stone would see a noticable difference, but i dont really. i guess it will take a few stone before i start to notice, but the main thing is that im heading in the right direction. i know my weight losses will start slowing down soon to 2-3lbs a week but thats okay, so long as every week i get closer to ym goal i'll be happy...

food eaten
porridge - 215
clementine - 35
ww bolognase pasta ready meal- 340
jelly -20
chicken fajita's with red pepper, onions and sprinkle of cheese - 800
total - 1410 cals

exercise
swimming - 1hr

Almost a stone in 2 weeks??!!!! OMG well done hun! That's like amazingly awesome.

FREEZE STUFF! lol, my life is centred around frozen meals. I cook at the weekends n then freeze portions for the week, makes life so much easier when you're busy. Of course you can;t really do that with pasta, but you can premake the sauce with the veg in and freeze that, and the pasta takes liek 10 mins, so tis all good ;)

I wish I could swim, seems like a really fun form of exercise! COngrats babes, keep it up.
I agree that it'll be easier to slim whilst working too, your days will ahve more structure, when I was at school and had a part time job it's like I didn't really have time to snack too often other than at prescribed times once a day. Now I'm at uni and spend the bulk of my time doing home study it's like an irrisitible urge to just snack all day and not eat a proper meal until late at night.

Again, congrats lovely :)

Back