The Battle Of the Bulge - week 3!

Day 20

not much time to write today. had a rest day from the swimming, went out to watch the england match tonight, just gonna tuck into some potato wedges and play games with friends now!

might change me weigh in day to sundays so i have more time considering every monday morning i'll be working, will think about it more later.

anyways gotta dash, hope everyones having a good weekend! 1 more day now till i start my job - so excited!

food eaten
honey nut corn flakes - 250
chicken, new potatoes, brocoli, cauliflower - 600
ww yoghurt - 50
potato wedges with ketchup - 450
total - 1350

exercise - rest day

this morning i woke up ready to get weighed and eager to enjoy my last day off before work starts. i decided to change my weekly weigh in day to a sunday to make it easier to fit into my routine now i'm starting work. although getting weighed itself doesnt take much time i like to write it down and update all my challenges and tickers etc while i still remember, so it's better to do it on a sunday.

well, anyways, i got on the scale in the bathroom like i normally do and found that i lost 1.5lbs, not great, but still a loss and took me over the one stone marker! :) as it happened my mum was walking past the bathroom and saw me weighing myself on the carpet, she told me that because id been weighing myself on the carpet it would have been underweighing me! so i took the scales downstairs into the utility room where there is a hard floor and to my HORROR i discovered she was right. it turns out instead of weighing 21st 5.5lbs (299.5lbs) like i did on the bathroom floor, that i actually weigh 22st 7lbs (315lbs) :( that was completely and utterly demoralising, especially because as far as i was concerned i weighed 22st 6lbs when i started the whole thing 3 weeks ago. it seemed like despite 3 weeks hard work and losing a stone, swimming 15 times and eating well every day, that i was back at square one! :sigh:

i felt like giving up. then it hit me. if there is a whole stone difference between the bathroom floor and the utility room, when i actucally started this 3 weeks ago i must have weighed around 23st 7lbs (329lbs) :eek: instead of going back to bed to cry myself to sleep i packed my swimming bag and hit the pool. 1hr 5 mins of swimming later and i feel a bit better. a number on a scale isnt going to make me feel defeated, it doesnt take away anything from my success so far. all it means is that i have a bit further to go. i'll adjust my starting weight and my tickers and then stop complaining and just get on with it.

rather than being depressed i should be celebrating, i just lost my first stone in 3 weeks! :)

i stopped off at the supermarket on the way home and picked up my weekly food shop. got loads of healthy stuff to put in my packed lunches next week. decided to have small meals in the evening, cereal or porridge for breakfast and a really filling and tasty packed lunch every day that will give me lots of energy while i'm at work and keep me satisfied until tea time.

so for example, tomorrows food is gonna look something like:
b - big bowl cereal - 250
l - 2 tuna, sweetcorn, light mayo salad pittas - 550
l - little tomatoes - 20
l - light babybel - 43 cals
l - yoghurt tube (frube) - 50 cals
l - apple - 50
t - fresh soup and bread - 500 cals
s - sugar freejelly - 20 cals
total - 1483 cals

to me that looks like LOADS of food and yet it still comes under my calorie budget. i cant imagine feeling deprived at all if i get to eat all that. the biggest challenge will be preparing my packed lunches every night after work. i might just do it while i make my tea each evening.

determined that this next week is gonna be a success, both at work and with my diet. i'm going to do everything by the book this week and hope for a few pounds loss next sunday, so lets see how good i can be! :angel09:

right, time to update my tickers and stats (which will be pretty depressing) and then to make a healthy lunch!

Oh huni I can imagine how demoralising that must have been, but you are completely right, you've still lost a stone, which is freaking amazing considering that you're only three weeks into it.

Well done for rebooting your motivaion and going swimming, that's pretty damn inspirational for us lot.

Making the next day's lunch whilst cooking tea is probably a good idea, gets it out of the way so you don't have to fuss with it later on.

Best wishes. x

That must have been really tough but it doesn't take away from your achievement and you are still on the right course, at least you found out now rather than later. Keep going and good luck :)

Congratulations on your first stone! Bugger about the carpet mistake! Fantastic effort to turn it around. The important thing isn't where you start, it's where you finish!
Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you!

pink! - thanks hun, t'was gutting but no point fretting on it, its not like i ACTUALLY gained a stone thank god :)

pocohontas - thanks hun! :)

minusfour - thanks, and oh so true! roll on the glory days of 140lbs *dreams* :) ooh and i realised i never answerred you the other day, nope, we didnt have ANY holiday at all for the queens birthday :rolleyes:

Day 21
well im all ready for starting work pretty much now. packed my lunch, gonna find all my clothes for the first day next and get them all ironed and stuff. its meant to be smart/casual, but for day one i'll play it safe and just go smart, lol.

its throwing it down with rain outside, if it stops later i might have a little walk. think on the days the pool doesnt have sessions (tue n thur) i might try and have 30 mins going around the park or something so at least i get some exercise, but we'll see!

cooked some gorgeous fajitas for lunch today, about 800 cals in them though so i'll have to have something light this evening so i dont go over my cals. atm though i feel totally stuffed, a bowl of cereal or some soup will probably be enough :)

food eaten
cereal - 350
cherrys - 80
chicken fajitas with onions and peppers - 800
ww bangers and mash - 312
total - 1542 cals

exercise
swimming - 1hr

Last edited:
The the British weather tends to put a bit of a dampener (literally) on walks.
Hope work goes well tomorrow ;)

Oh no, I can imagine how awful that must have felt. For the first few weeks of my weight loss I used our old set of scales, then we got some new digital ones and my weight went up on those. That was really frustrating, but at the same time it's not worth worrying about: things are moving in the right direction whatever way you look at it, and I'm so glad you haven't let it put you off :)

I know what you mean about not feeling deprived. Sometimes I do feel hungry and sometimes it's not fun trying to resist things that are high in calories but not filling, but some days I feel like I must be cheating because it just seems too easy somehow! :)

Day 22
yey! first day over and under my belt!! had an awesome day, mainly was induction, learning about the company, building tour, signing into pcs, icebreaker... in the afternoon we got onto some basics of private medical insurance. tomorow the underwriters are coming into talk to us.

ooh, and theres FREE FRUIT in the office every day which i thought was pretty nifty, so i'll definately be taking advantage of that! unfortunately there is also free hot chocolate and coffee :/ up until now i've not had any calories in my drinks, stuck to water and diet sodas.. really need to not get into the habbit of that. had 2 today, going to limit myself to 1 a day so i dotn do too much damage from now on!

well, food wise i did good, ate my packed lunch throughout the day and its 6pm now and i dotn feel starving or anything :) swimming at 8.30 tonight so soon i need to go and make myself somethign healthy for tea.. i'm thinking veggies, and pasta, something low in cals but filling, then maybe ill have a fresh soup (no bread) when i get in from swimming before bed if i have the cals left!

food eaten
cereal bar - 60
orange - 50
babybel mini cheese - 40
2 tuna salad pitta breads - 550
yoghurt tube - 50
hot drinks - 100
slice of chicken - 20
pasta, peppers, onion, mushrooms, garlic, basil n tomato sauce - 540
total - 1410

exercise
swimming - 1hr 5 mins :)

Last edited:
Glad you've had a good first day, I'm amazed you have the energy and inclination to go swimming because I know I wouldn't, so well done with that! :)

Glad you've had a good first day, I'm amazed you have the energy and inclination to go swimming because I know I wouldn't, so well done with that! :)

thanks, lol, im setting off in 35 mins for the pool. really dont feel like it tbh but i know that once i've done it i'll be so proud of myself and i'll go to bed with a smile on my face. plus, after the scale botch up i want a really good loss this week to make me feel like i'm getting back on track! :)

I expect in a way it's good to go after your first day too, gets the habit there right from the start :) Have a lovely swim!

Glad you had a good first day, and so impressed that you went to the pool! Rigby's right, it's a great habit to form.
What were all the other people starting like? Is the insurance company a general insurance company? Why do they need lawyers to assess their claims. (Excuse my ignorance-is this the norm?)

rigby - thanks! had a really good swim last night, there was a particularly fit guy with the body of a greek god who kept diving in, so time flew, lol! :D

minusfour - the other people seem really nice, 7 others, 3 are younger like me and the other 4 are older but we all get on really well so far. oh, and they dont need lawyers to assess their claims, i'm not a lawyer, just have a law degree, it helps though as we're learning all about underwriting and terms and conditions atm.. its actually pretty interesting. oh and its private medical insurance :)

Day 23
whoever said that this would get easier when i had a job was right! food wise its a lot easier because i dont have time to think about food, i get hungry and then realise its lunch time, eat my packed lunch and stay full until i get in :) exercise wise though its damn tough, after getting up at 7am and being out of the house from 7.30am-6pm the last thing i feel like is heading swimming for 8.30. thankfully there's no swimming tonight so i get a rest day. ive been chilling out in front of the tv and feeling like a zombie, lol. definately an early night for me. swimming again tomorrow. it feels like i'm doing some kind of endurance exercise. i guess it will get easier, im just used to having so much free time and now i have so little.

food
alpen bar - 60
orange - 40
apple - 50
tracker bar - 170
chicken salad pitta breads - 360
2 x light babybel - 84
frube (yoghurt tube) - 42
hot chocolate - 50
beans on toast with low fat cheese - 650
total - 1506 cals

exercise - rest day

I like those light babybels too- I was surprised when I first had them that they actually taste a lot nicer than the full-fat version!

Your early night sounds well deserved :)

I like those light babybels too- I was surprised when I first had them that they actually taste a lot nicer than the full-fat version!

Your early night sounds well deserved :)

haha, yeah those babybels are LUSH, almost TOO nice! lol

That is great that you are finding it easier to stick to with work. Don't worry about the time factor, in a few weeks you'll have more stamina, and be in a routine, and it will seem like you have more time to yourself.

I didn't realise that someone with a law degree might not be a lawyer, is this very common? Will you go on to become a lawyer, and what would you need to do if you wanted to. (Become a lawyer- sorry, this is getting really wordy) I think in Australia you need to do articles, or some other form of post grad work, for a few months-year, after finishing a law degree. Is this the same in the UK?

minusfour - yeah, pretty much 95% of law graduates in the UK dont go on to be lawyers. law is the most popular degree over here, about about 250,000 students graduate from it every year compared to about 7,000 training places available. in order to be a lawyer you have to do a course called the legal practice course (lpc) at uni for a year, this course costs £10,000- £12,000 so unless you get sponsorship from your training place you have to take out a loan to cover it, and with the cost of books, accommodation and living expenses (theres so much work you cant have a part time job) this can be considerale. i've known friends who have taken out £25,000 in loan to cover it all. now those friends are in the position of having to pay back £350 a month for 10 years, dont have any legally related job and are completely, utterly broke. so yeah, thats pretty much why i walked away from it, didn't help that i graduated right in the middle of the credit crunch either! :sigh:

Day 24
i'm finding that whilst im at work im constantly STARVING! this tails off in the evening though which is good :)

swimming tonight, dont much feel like it if im honest but i'll go for 8.30-9.30pm again. it just feels like i have no evening at all on the days i swim, but ah well, i'll have loads of time at the weekend to do whatever i like for me. im enjoying the new job so far so i shouldnt complain really, money will be nice too :)

food
alpen bar - 60
orange - 40
tracker bar - 170
apple - 50
chicken mayo salad pitta breads - 450
little tomatoes - 20
babybel light - 42
yoghurt tube - 42
banana - 108
2 part baked mini baguettes - 300*
chicken tikka starter - 300
total - 1582

*was with a carrot and corriander soup but it was so awful i just had one spoonful. if i feel hungry when im back from swimming at 10 i'll have a bowl of cereal :)

exercise

Last edited:
well, first of all, i cheated, i've been doing amazing this week with my diet and swimming etc so i wanted to see how much i lost already, and it SUCKS because it turns out i lost naff all, infact the scales say i put ON 3lbs! tbh idgi because physically i havent had enough calories at all to gain weight (about 1500 a day + exercise) so i should have lost a pound or something by now! :/

so yeah, that set me off in a pretty grumpy mood i guess for the day, but it made me more determined. i must be doing something wrong i guess, just need to cut calories even more maybe, bloody sucks though basically, i really thought i was doing so well!

Back