The diary of a (not so-Little)Sausage

T minus four hours. Feeling really nervous now. Breakfast was a fruit salad and muller light and lunch was loads of veg (carrots and broccoli) serves with the 12 speed stew I made last night. Plus a banana and a couple of satsumas.

First ever weigh in and I feel so disappointed. Especially seeing as my syns this week were equivalent of less than 2 days syns. I probably sound ungrateful and I'm not. I do wonder though, if I do make more of an effort to have syns, how is consuming more calories going to help me lose more?

Puzzled and confused.

X

I'm really confused too, I've had very little syns and have stepped on my scales and have PUT ON weight. Totally disheartened and confused! :( x

u both must not be disheartened nor confused... this has only happened bcos u r not having enough syns... if u do not have syns then ur body will find it hard to burn off wots there... so therefore anything u do eat it will retain and subsequently a gain or maintain..... (hope thats not too confusing) try and half 10 syns a day for ur first couple of weeks :) trust me i did that and lost 4.5lbs in my first week and 4lbs in my second :-D xxx

I think it's because your body needs a certain amount of fat to actually function and burn calories. A lot of people doing SW report bigger losses when they have a good amount of syns and their HEx's. If you eat too little then your body will go into "starvation" mode and start to store any fat/calories you consume.

I really think if you follow the plan and have your syns you'll notice the difference. Don't be disheartened though, the beauty of SW is that you don't have to go without.

It feels weird being able to have a little of what ever you want, I've felt full plenty of times this week and feel guilty because it doesn't feel like a "normal diet" but it's not really a diet, it's teaching us to eat more normally.

Test it this week and see what happens.

The thing is I feel full after all my meals. I've kept a food diary and it's full of potatoes, pasta, lean meat and fruit and veg. I'll up the syns to 10 a day. I'll have a cereal bar and some quavers each day (10 syns) and see how I fair.

TheMissus said:
I think it's because your body needs a certain amount of fat to actually function and burn calories. A lot of people doing SW report bigger losses when they have a good amount of syns and their HEx's. If you eat too little then your body will go into "starvation" mode and start to store any fat/calories you consume.

I really think if you follow the plan and have your syns you'll notice the difference. Don't be disheartened though, the beauty of SW is that you don't have to go without.

It feels weird being able to have a little of what ever you want, I've felt full plenty of times this week and feel guilty because it doesn't feel like a "normal diet" but it's not really a diet, it's teaching us to eat more normally.

Test it this week and see what happens.

Thank you for this! I will definitely up my syns this week and see how it goes!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. The encouragement and positivity here is excellent!

X

go for it! see how u go :) xxx

LittleSausage said:
T minus four hours. Feeling really nervous now. Breakfast was a fruit salad and muller light and lunch was loads of veg (carrots and broccoli) serves with the 12 speed stew I made last night. Plus a banana and a couple of satsumas.

Supper: 3 pieces of toast (from 400g loaf) with 3 eggs fries in frylight (HEb + 3 syns)
One hifi bar (6 syns)

Total: 9 syns

Hi chick, well done on your first loss!! OK, I know you're disappointed in that, but remember what I said in my earlier post?!! It REALLY isn't all about one week!! Continue as you have been doing this week, but do try and use your syns, and I bet you'll see a great result next week!!! Keep going and you can't fait to succeed!! And as I said even if you lose 1lb per week you'll lose nearly 4 stone in a year! I did!X

Work is a nightmare right now. I have so much to do and NO motivation. Meh.

Breakfast:
Fruit salad and a Muller Light
Coffee with some skimmed milk (HE-a)
(banana and 3 satsumas during the morning)

Lunch:
12 speed stew (nom!) with lots of cucumber and scan bran (HE-b) - really not keen on them, but refuse to throw them away!
Muller Light

Supper:
Not finalised, but think I'll make some turkey and roasted pepper burgers and serve with SW chips, beans and salad.
And I'm definitely having some chocolate tonight :)

Bought some soya mince and rye bread at Holland & Barrett so will aim to make a Shepherd's Pie one day. Also picked up an Eat Natural cereal/fruit/nut bar before looking it up and finding out it is 8 syns! Not sure I can justify that... not when I want real chocolate tonight.

Hi Little Sausage - I've just read back through your diary, it's a great read and good luck! Make sure you keep up the good work and don't be disheartened.

Something occurred to me when reading your diary - hope you don't think I'm poking my nose in - but you could you plan your main meals ahead a bit more and do a bigger shop at the weekend? You just sounded like you really dreaded going to the shops after work (don't blame you, I wouldn't have lasted the week if I had to do that!). I also have found in any diet I've done in the past, that planning ahead has made a huge difference for me.

Also if you eat too little, (re the syns) then it can put your body into a type of starvation mode (like cavemen) - so it does what it's supposed to, and slows the metabolism right down, as it thinks it is living in times of scarcity. It's your bodies survival instinct! ;-)

I'm gonna check out that soup next week though. Keep your pecker up chicadee!

:) x

Pinkie1973 said:
Also - with soy mince, I find it a little more palatable if I mix it 50/50 with meat mince (I think the extra lean is free on SW).

I'll go away now! ;-)

Thanks for your comments, Pinkie! Yes, I'm coming round to the idea of syns now. Or, should I say I'm understanding them more now! As for the shopping and planning, that is my plan! Cash is tight at the moment though, as I had to lend my brother quite a bit unexpectedly when he crashed in to someones car! Having to pretty much make do with what I have at the moment :)

Decided to pass on supper tonight. Feeling stuffed from lunch and I'm sure that's because I'm badly "stuffed up" at the moment (sorry if that is TMI!).
Can't understand why at all seeing as my diet has been almost exclusively fruit and veg. Even the scan brans at lunch haven't worked. Synned some prunes tonight in the hope they might work. It's really making me feel quite ill and very sluggish. Eugh. Hoping that tomorrow will be better.

Pinkie1973 said:
Oh god yeah prunes will sort you out - canned or dried?

I've done day one now, and also had real trouble getting the syns in.

Good luck!

That's what I'm hoping! I thought scan bran (Eugh!) with its 40% fibre would do the trick bit it would seem not!
Presuming I'm feeling better tomorrow I am so totally synning with the chocolate I've been longing for!

The other thought with that - is are you drinking enough fluid too? I tend to drink water and tea these days - and the canned fruit that I eat at breakfast has juice in it - so helps wash down the branflakes. I'm very lucky - I have IBS, but don't really get too many issues on that front.

It'll probably go completely the other way once all that fibre kicks in! ;-)

Yeah, have made a point of drinking plenty. Just can't understand it!

Maybe its just the way your system has reacted to the change in diet. I've done a detox before with my mum. Loads of salad foods and raw veg. My mum could barely keep off the toilet, I was bunged up and eventually it became quite painful. So I guess we do all react differently at different times. x

Well, feeling MUCH better than last night! Excellent, in fact, so it was definitely worthwhile synning those prunes, ha ha!
The sun is shining which makes everything look brighter and better.

Breakfast:
Banana, 2 satsumas, Muller Light, coffee with skimmed milk (HE-a)

Lunch:
Salad of cucumber and spinach with cooked chicken, 2 slices of Leerdammer Lighterlife (2 x 3 syns) and some Pizza Express light dressing (2 syns) and a Muller light

Snacks so far have included satsumas (LOVE them!) and 1/2 a packet of roast chicken Fridge Raiders (1.5 syns).

Can't believe I'm already up to 9.5 syns! Definitely will be having a free supper tonight! Maybe some fried (in Frylight) eggs on toast with some roast veg on the side.

Work is a sh*tter at the moment. So much to do

Back