The diary of a spod.

Spod, I've travelled to many Asian countries and recommend buying some Tiger balm or any other muscle cream which has that strong scent. Put a your finger in the jar and spot one behind your knee and on each side of your ankles. THEY HATE IT!

Also if you are bitten put the balm on them religiously before going to bed everynight and they will dry up in about 5 days, scab and be gone!!!! yay!

Has always worked for me.

Bummer with the Rugby not being on though....

Bren
X

Thanks guys for the sympathy and the advice Bren!! I have some tigger balm so I will go and find it. Think I will actually start to use it as perfume - that will keep them away (and everyone else probably!)

(I actually have 33 bites on my legs and feet and I have scratched them in my sleep, so my legs are just so sore and itchy its unbelievable). Nobody else who was there has any bites tho!!! I will only wear long trousers and tuck the trouser legs in to my socks in future. That will show the little b*ggers!

Killed one this morning in my apartment so felt a bit better for that.

Apparently its to do with blood type, but my husband's blood is meant to be the one they like best - so why arent they eating him??? Last year in Beijing and Shanghai I was hardly bitten at all, but he was. Ho hum and all that!

Just sitting here, itchy and grumpy and trying not to scratch. Cant think of anything else to type!

Hope you have had a good monday.

xx

I think I remember being told that it was something to do with blood sugar levels... I dunno. When I lived in Italy, I got bit all the time... it used to drive me nuts too.
It's so so satisfying to kill them. mwahahahaha.

~Silence~

If you put it on your wrists as well, it's supposed to keep the little monsters away. Lemon scented balm is supposed to be good although I have heard about tiger balm too.

Well done on resisting too much pizza - it's a favourite in my house. In fact we had one tonight - I had 2 slices and normally have a whole one to myself !

I'm impressed with the moving to China - my ex sister-in-law lived in Hong Kong as her husband spoke mandarin. They've come back to the UK now though.

Well done Caws on only having two slices! I could easily eat a whole one by myself too.

I read some stuff about stopping the itching and as I couldnt find the tigger balm last night 'cos my husband was asleep and it was in the bedroom I sat and squeezed lemon juice on to the bites which did actually help! This morning I have put very hot water on them (which didnt half sting - apparently it stops the mozzies saliva from irritating the skin) and then tiger balm. I am still itching but not as badly and managed to get about 6 hours sleep. Cant wear shorts today tho - I just look horrendous and I stink of tigger balm!!!!

No work again today. I cant get used to this working part time thing! Bit worried about eating tomorrow as I only have 30 minutes between the morning lectures and my building is too far to walk to get anything to eat and by the time I'm finished the canteen is closed. So I am going to have to take a packed lunch. Off to supermarket in a little while to see what I can find packed lunch wise but its not something Chinese people seem to do as far as I have seen.....will be interesting!

Will read in to the blood sugar level thing. Anything I can do to help not getting munched on I will try.

Have a good day!

xx

Spod good luck with a packed lunch in China! i can see the dilema. But you'll do fine.

Persist with the balm use a cotton tip so you put only a little on. It really does work.

Bren
X

removed

Last edited:
removed

Last edited:
* BIG HUG *

I don't know what to tell you because I'm absolutely ***** when it comes to relationships. But I was reading in your diary and thought I could help you out with your mosquito problem, if you're still getting bitten...

I come from the prairies in Canada, so we get mosquitos pretty bad, and they seem to LOVE me, so I always got it the worst whenever I went out somewhere, but a couple years ago there was an e-mail going around saying different things that repel them. Dryer sheets: I think the 'Bounce' brand ones work especially well, if you have a clothes dryer use those, and you can rub the sheets right on your skin (mind you, not sure I'd do the face.) Bananas: I think this has to do with blood sugar, but they say not to eat bananas during the summer months because the mosquitos are attracted to the smell. You can't really change this one, but mosquitos are attracted to fairer skinned individuals. We always advise to wear dark clothes. The worst times to go out are at sunrise, and in the evening around sunset, and always try to stay off the grass so you don't disturb them.

Now from personal experience, use vinegar on your bites. Yes, it stings, and yes, you'll probably curse the first few times, but it helps It's also better if you do it before you scratch. (Trust me on this, my bites were usually the size of a two-pound coin if I didn't do anything to them.) If you find something called 'After-Bite', buy as many as you can. It's basically a vinegar dispenser shaped a bit like a pen, and if you're as much like mosquito food as I am, it'll be your best friend. Mosquito coils (we called them 'doodoo coils') are good for if you're outside, or in a well ventilated area, as are citronella candles.

Now, if you can get mosquito spray the stuff containing DEET is the strongest. There's some questions that it [STRIKE]might be[/STRIKE] probably is really bad for you, but if you're out in the sticks and they're eating you alive...

And yes, I come from a place where they have to drive around in trucks at night a couple times a summer to spray (actually, they 'fog' the city- sounds much nicer) malathion (yes, it's as toxic as it sounds) all over the city to try and kill those little b*st*rds

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help with anything else, just know I'm sending lots of hugs hun, and I hope that everything works out for you, and that you're happy, because that's what is important.

Thank you. I really appreciate the hugs. Really really needed them. The mozzie help is great too. I will try and find some vinegar. Dont care if it stings - its better than the itching.

Anyway, life seems a bit better this morning. Still feel repulsive but I weighed myself and I am 12 stone 13lbs. So at least I am in the 12s. Think I was feeling so repulsive because of not having lost any weight, despite being so good. BMI is nearly over weight rather than obese. How odd to feel happy about being in the over weight category. Ah well. Onwards and downwards.

Husband is chatty today. I am blocking stuff about him going away out of my mind - I can bury my head in the sand better than a bloody ostrich.

Last edited:
Aww Spod, what an awful few days you've had. Try not tortune yourself - I know that I make up things in my head and wind myself up far more than anyone else can.

You are a long way from home and maybe a little trapped there. If your hubby's job is stressful it's likely that he'll be more focused on that than on you. Try and get him to talk to you and tell him how unhappy you are at times (without whinging and whining all the time)

Well done for getting into the 12's - I'm 12st 13lb at the moment as well. I stayed the same this week, which I'll settle for that as I haven't been particularly good this week.

Look after yourself and take care

xxx

Thanks Caws. Snap with the weight! Feeling a loads better today - we have had a nice day yesterday. Tried talking to him, but he dosnt get it, so I cut my losses and shut up. I think maybe he is feeling guilty - he knows he isnt the easiest person to be with and we havent had the easiest time together.
His job is stressful, but he is doing what he loves, so I guess its the whole if you love someone set them free (in regards to his job). If I am miserable and whinge and whine, he is more likely to run of with someone else.
If he didnt love me, he wouldnt be here would he?

Like I said I feel better today. Read some "How to keep your relationship alive" type bollocksy articles and I have realised how totally different I am from when we first met - I dont like myself much so how could anyone else? Have given myself a stern talking to and told myself to get my arse in to gear. Stop feeling sorry for myself. I am losing weight and I feel tons better for it. I need to stop being such a depressing cow and enjoy life. I am in an amazing place (yes I do feel slightly trapped but I think its me rather than my situation? Not sure...). I am starting to look ok (ish) I need to be more how I used to be when we first met - i.e. FUN!

I tried on some clothes I shipped over that I havent fitted in to since we first met / before we first met and the trousers do up quite easily but they are still a bit too tight on my legs. Not bad as I tried them on before I started to lose weight and couldnt pull them on over my thighs. Found a photo from last summer and I am embarressed I looked that awful. I am still hideously fat now, but I looked really, really frightful. Cant believe I was walking around looking like that. Scary.

Anyhow, new day. New start. No more feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks for the replies - I know I said I didnt want any replies, but I am really glad you did.

xx

Last edited:
Hey spod...
Really glad you're feeling better. Good for you for being proactive and motivated. I could do with some of that right now!!!
I have to say I know what it's like to be away from home and need a hug and not have anyone there for you. (((((spod))))))

~Silence~

Thanks you guys. xx

Think I would have gone mad without this website over the last few days...

Yesterday was so much better than the previous few days.
I have also decided I need to take time to make myself feel good too. I do Tai chi twice a week and each weekend a friend and I go on walk abouts (4 and a half hours walking round our local area last Saturday - got to be good!). We are going to start getting nails done once a week (it is sooooo cheap here its rediculous).

Need to keep on with the losing weight thing too. Cant wait to get down to 12 stone 2lbs (cos I know I looked alright then! I was that weight on my 21st and I look nice in my photos)

Onwards and downwards!

xx

Last edited:
Hi, Hope everyone is ok and having a good week.

My weight is now down to 81kg which means I am now (according to BMI) out of the obese weight category and I am now just overweight!!!
I will never be obese again. Ever. I felt and looked disgusting.
Really feel like I am making progress. Still cant picture what I will look like at 10 stone tho.

Things have been really looking up this past couple of weeks. Still dont have much appitite and missing meals on occasions which I must stop doing but I am just not hungry and I'm not sure why. Think it might be down to the weather still - its v. humid (but not as bad as it was!)

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
xx

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I noticed today that over 300 people have read my diary which is odd as only a few people write anything - thats a lot of lurkers!!
As a consequence I have decided to remove some of my previous posts / parts of posts 'cos I feel they are a little too personal / soap operaesq and I know I would be mortified if anyone I knew in 'real life' read my comments as they are so personal, so I should really apply the same thoughts on here.

Lost .5kg this week - not really watched what I have been eating & drunk quite a bit more than usual, so I'm pretty pleased with .5kg cos it means I am only a couple of lbs over 12 and a half stone which is v. cool!

Found fab mozzie bit stuff which works like magic. Just in time for autumn and winter when all the b*stard mozzies arent around!! Ho hum. Ready for the spring....

So my plan to have a healthy week....

No alcohol
More fruit
More green tea / water - less coffee (not drinking enough)
No snacking (which I dont really do here anyway but its a reminder!)

Have also decided not to change my targets as I know it is good to lose weight slowly and these targets are easily attainable & I felt v. good when I beat my Halloween target. I think if I fail to reach a target I will just switch off and lose motivation.

Hoping for a bigger loss next week, so I will be good and stick with my keeping healthy.

Hope all you lurkers out there are having a good week too!

xx

Thanks caws!

I feel tons better, but I am having a bad week with eating!!! I am really hungry all the time and I am really tired, so Im eating crap. Really need to snap out of it.

xx

Hiya Spod, Just found your diary. You're doing amazingly well! Never realised you were in China. That must be amazing. Sorry you're having a bad week. Tiredness doesn't help, hope you get yourself plenty of me time. Look forward to following you, if you don't mind me poking my nose in on you. Janey xxxxxxxxx

Back