The journey continues!

I think I'm really about a 16, with some things fitting best in an 18 at the moment, but taking advantage of clothes that I find that fit :) When I started this diet most of my clothes were size 26 / 28ish, so size 14 was totally beyond wildest dreams!

Day 5 of Beck today. So I have to remind myself to eat slowly. I think this will be another trickier one for me in the long term, so determined to try and practice it now. I like the suggestion to stop and drink sips of water in between - so now I'm alternating sips of shake with a sip of water. Previously I tended to make my shake and stand there and drink it all down. I know it's still not quite the same as sitting down and eating a meal, but now I'm making sure I sit down to 'eat' it, and also today I did the sips of water, and stretched it out a lot longer.
I went out for dinner tonight with friends, which was great and I ate the most delicious mixed grill ever (even sweeter as we got it for half price!) It was good though, reminding myself to eat more slowly. It was great to properly stop and taste each mouthful and enjoy all the different meats - made me realise quite how much I probably normally just wolf it down.

So my reminders for today:
When I feel like eating quickly I'm going to...stop and drink some water; make sure I am sitting down, stop and look at the food, smell the food and really savour it.

To remind myself to eat slowly I'm going to... look at my daughter, who eats really slowly, and match my pace with hers.

Rereading my advantages to losing weight, and slowly I think they are starting to go in a bit more. It's certainly helping me to keep reading them, making them feel really like my own personal goals, something I believe in, rather than something I just hope might happen.

I've just reread my post from a few minutes ago, it's weird, I think I'm a bit in denial about the amount of weight I really have lost already. My head still thinks of me as a really big person, and although I'm still on the larger size, I'm definitely getting to a more normal size; someone meeting me for the first time now probably wouldn't think I was a particularly big person.... it's hard getting our heads to catch on. I'm determined to find a way though.

Looking forward to Wednesday, doing my first cycle in to work. Just been trying to work out what things I need to take with me, to make sure I'm ready to work as well when I get there - Clothes, make up, shoes, wash kit, hairbrush etc!

Wow another 3lbs down and in size 12 PJ's and a 14 skirt....you are doing soooooo well Rachel. You really do inspire me and I sooooo hope I am in your position by October time. Can't wait to see your next picture with your new balloon xxxx

Argggg, lost the plot this afternoon, ate a couple of my daughter's biscuits, and have then just gobbled down a milky bar cow thing... I don't even particularly like white chocolate.... so cross with myself. I think it's a combination of TOTM and being really tired, little one has been waking up <5am for the 4th day in a row now.... grrrr! Anyway, still disappointed in myself for giving in and eating stuff I didn't particularly want / need. Reading my goals again now, I think I might print them in even bigger font and put them in the kitchen.

Right, time to do day 6 of Beck.

Hmmm, good day, I need to choose a diet coach. I guess I kind of think as this forum a bit like my conscience / coach. However, I think for me I need to get someone who I see regularly to help me, especially now I'm wobbling all over the place. I think I may talk it through with my husband and see if he'd be willing to do this, as he's pretty good at helping me see what's going on for me.

Right, off to go and talk it through with him, and also to pack my bag for tomorrow - first day cycling to work, and trying to make sure I remember everything I might need to take with me!

Hi Cybil,

You've done amazingly, tomorrow's another day! Try not to beat yourself up too much. xx

Talked it through with my husband, and he's happy to be my diet coach. We're going to set a time each week to deliberately talk it through, which hopefully will be helpful for me, and I'm already declaring on here everything that I'm doing.

Still feeling annoyed about earlier, but I've not let it go crazy, and have just drunk another pint of water. Now to finish packing my bag for tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to the cycle in :)

Well done for both the loss and drawing a line under your little blip

You'll have that next balloon before you know it

xxx

Really chuffed with myself today, I achieved my goal of cycling to work and back (original intention was to start after Easter, so I'm even early!) Extra pleased with myself, as on the way home I managed to cycle up the hill without having to get up and push any of it. Goal for tomorrow is to cycle up the hill on the way there without having to get off either. It took me about an hour each way, which I'm happy with. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks I'll manage to speed up a bit too.

OK, Beck day 7 - rearranging home / workplace to remove temptation. It's really weird, I'd started doing this a couple of days ago anyway. I'm finding it really helpful hiding / putting in cupboards the things that have been tempting me recently - in particular my daughters biscuits / chocolate. I'm happy for her to have them occasionally, but they had been living out on the worktop. Feels good having them not in plain sight - also means it's harder for her to point at them / ask for them, so easier for me to encourage her to have healthier alternatives too.

I've also put a pink 'credit' post-it note next to the cheese in the fridge, my other recent temptation! Hoping all these things will be helping. I think the pink credit notes are already, even if hubby thinks I'm bonkers. I'm really trying to notice the things I have achieved, and credit myself for the work /effort that I've put in to achieve them.

Rereading my advantages response card too. It's really interesting, one of my advantages is:
I will have the energy to go cycling & play badminton and not look like a beetroot. One of the first things my husband said when I got home tonight was - you don't look like you've just cycled all the way home - which was a real complement, as I tend to look really purple / red after some exercise. I think I really am getting fitter!

Looking forward to tomorrow now, another cycle into work in the beautiful sunshine, and another day on track with this diet.

Wow - I'm really impressed that you can keep biscuits in the house! And cycle in the sun! Sounds like you are really on track. Go you!

Wow on the cycling :) that's brill.

I love reading you beck days, makes me think, why didn't I think of that! So I 'borrow' some of ur thoughts :)

I've skipped through a whole week! Naughty I know but I think I'm gonna read the whole book and pick out some of the bits I can do now then restart it when I'm refeeding. What du think? For me it just feels like some of the days are pointless while on TFR. I know it says u should only do a day and do everyday but you know!

I know sone of it is sinking in coz I am thinking before anything food related.

Anyways, I'm waffling here ;)

Hope u have another great day xxx

Cycling and keeping biscuits at bay, you're super woman, officially :D

Hehee, thanks Crystal. I nearly bought some Wonder Woman PJs the other day! The inner child in me is trying to get out, clearly!

Really proud of myself today. Our daughter had a lousy night, so I was up with her from 3 till about 5, and I still got up again at 7 and cycled to work. Went out for dinner with friends after work, 3 of them leaving :( and have just cycled home. It was so tempting this morning to just hop in the car. I'm really pleased with myself that I didn't though. I did have steak for dinner, which was delicious. I asked for it without chips, but they sent chips out. I was strong and asked them to take the chips away and give me some green salad instead, which they did. So now I'm giving myself some credit for some good decisions today :)

I agree with you Clair, some of the Beck days aren't really so useful for TFR. I've decided to do them all anyway, as I'm having so many WS days at the moment, that I figure I'll take as many tips as I can get!

Now time to do Beck day 8 :) woohoo, officially into week 2 of this, and I've stuck with it every day.

This one is a relatively easy one for me at the moment, it's about making time and energy in my day for dieting & exercise. I guess having now started cycling to work, I went through this process a few weeks ago to work out how I'd get the time to do it - so hubby has agreed to take our little one to nursery on a Wednesday, as I'm not fast enough on the bike yet to take her on my way - that would make me late. Mum's also agreed to pick her up a little earlier on the day that she looks after our little one, so that I can cycle that day too.

I've also started making decisions each day to prioritise what I really want to do, rather than just collapsing in front of the telly and telling myself I'm too tired. I've found it really energising, I've been weeding the garden after little one's in bed, sorting things out, and planning on doing some sewing this weekend.

I'm particularly looking forward to the sewing, as I've been saving some of my big clothes as I go along, that I think could be easily made into smaller clothes. This weekend is D-day, and I'm going to start making some smaller clothes out of them. There is no going back! (I've already got rid of most of my larger clothes to friends / charity shop). I think some of the things I'll turn into smaller stuff for me, and there's a few of my large tops that I think will make into pretty dresses for my little girl. I can't wait to have a go :)

I think I must be in ketosis, all this energy, I'm buzzing!

Anyway, need to go and try and get some sleep, and crossing my fingers that little one let's me sleep through the night tonight!

Night night everyone, sweet dreams :)

I'm particularly looking forward to the sewing, as I've been saving some of my big clothes as I go along, that I think could be easily made into smaller clothes. This weekend is D-day, and I'm going to start making some smaller clothes out of them.

What a great feeling that must be :)

Hope you had a great night sleep and wake up with just as much energy!

Just been reading through your diary and looking at your pictures - you have done so amazingly well so far. I have always loved your balloon idea and am really looking forward to seeing the number 7 VERY soon.

Thank you for posting all your Beck tips on here they really are inspiring - as is your journey so far!!

All the best,
Cookie,
xxxx

You are full of sooooooo many wonderful ideas Rachel- you should write a book yourself. YOu'll have to post some pics of your clothes recycling/ sewing challenge as I'd love to see what you do. Glad you liked the sainsbury's tip too (just call me mystic meg hehehe!) Take care xx

OK, Beck day 9, Exercise!

Well, I guess I've started on this already, especially now I've started cycling to work. I had started doing the 30 day shred, but found it a bit too much; although I was faffing on the diet at the time too. Hmm, perhaps I'll have another go at that. So the exercise I'm currently doing is cycling to work each day I go (3 times a week), and now I'll add in an exercise dvd on 2 other days. I'm also cycling a bit if I go somewhere nearish at the weekend, as I can put my daughter on the childseat on the back.

The other exercise bit I want to work out is something to help my upper arms. I don't know if anyone else is finding this, but the bit of me that I least like the look of as i'm losing weight is my upper arms - the bingo wings. OK, so I think I'll add in some specific triceps exercises too. I now have some dumbbells, so I think the one where you hold out your arm with the weights works those muscles?

Anyone got any other ideas for how to get rid of those bingo wings? I'm stuck at the moment trying to find t-shirts with long arms to hide them, so would be great if I could just tone them up and wear whatever I fancy!

The other thing the Beck book talks about is spontaneous exercise. Hmmmm, that's a good one, I've got a bit into the habit of taking the lift at work - I was blaming it on being a bit wobbly on my heels - as I've started wearing heels for the first time now I've lost some weight! Anyway, getting more confident in my shoes, so perhaps I could start using the stairs a bit more again, as that would squeeze in some extra exercise without me really noticing. It also mentions using a pedometer to track how far I walk in a day. I've not done this before, does anyone else do it, do you find it useful? I think I've got a pedometer lurking somewhere, maybe I'll dig it out and have a go.

Back