The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

I seem to get it with any diet I do, so swapping and changing has to be the way I go. I don't want to stop the JUDDD principles because I think it has helped me reduce my BP

And it's suited you:clap:
I'll give this method a couple of weeks and keep reporting how I get on.
Good, good :cool: I'm keen to try this one and the unit diet. Damn. Typical isn't it, I decide never to diet again, then they bring out two new ones that appeal:rolleyes:

I don't know Dreaming, I seem to have been struggling with it for ever. What diet have you been doing/are you doing now? I know as we get slimmer we need less calories to maintain our weight, but it shouldn't make this much difference. I'm sticking at it because I need to know I can do it, if I can't shed a few pounds then how will I maintain?

I'm doing weight watchers. I just don't seem to be as strict as I was when I lost the rest of the weight. I guess its because I am happy with how I am now, unlike before, and I do the 'just one won't hurt' routine. I know I shouldn't but i do!

Karion, I thought you were maintaining at your goal weight? Don't tell me you're a serial dieter! I do like JUDDDD, it is flexible and I don't mind the down days too much, although I will like them better in maintenance when there will be double the calories to play with. 470 is very low and my meals are rather repetitive. I need a few more days before I decide if I like the unit diet, and whether it is actually going to work for me. I don't understand the matrix bit yet, I thought it would be something like mg of fat one axis and carbs the other but the values seem wrong.

Dreaming, maybe your body is happy at the weight you are and doesn't want to go any lower. This "last stone syndrome" appears to cause difficulties to lots of dieters. Do you take a lot of exercise? This is a big problem for me in the summer, all my dancing stops so I get much less exercise. I'm hoping that when everything starts again next month I will really see some progress.

Karion, I thought you were maintaining at your goal weight? Don't tell me you're a serial dieter!

:D, no, an ex-dieting addict :D Any addiction going, and I'm up for it :clap: :D

So now what do I do? Can't diet, so I watch others :rolleyes: It's like looking at other people's holiday snaps:confused:
I will like them better in maintenance when there will be double the calories to play with.
This is a tricky one to ask, and I promise you I'm not going to preach as I'm sure you're going to do what suits you. In fact, I'm not even going to answer, in case I do find myself preaching:eek: But I am interested in your reply.

I notice that most people who are thinking further on down the line...into maintenance...are sorting out what 'diet' they will be doing to maintain their weight. Now, I do realise that it's not a weightloss diet, but it is a diet with more calories;)

I'm very much in the minority chosing to just work on eating 'normally'. Can I ask why you feel this is the right way for you to go? Is it that you feel eating 'normally' would be too hard to get your head around? All that brain work etc. Or is it that you just don't have the confidence that you could do it? Or something else? I really applaud the fact that you have thought further than the goal mark. Just very curious that so many people pick a 'diet' to follow once they've finished their weightloss diet.

This may sound strange logic so I'll start at the beginning. Last summer my doctor told me my blood pressure had risen to prehypertensive levels. I was shocked, it had always been so stable, and I had never had anything officially wrong with me before. My elder sister has had a lifelong BP problem and my father had a stroke at 65 due to high BP. My GP said I could take tablets to lower it and I knew this wasn't the way I wanted to go. So we agreed I could come back in three months to have it checked again before making any decisions. At this point I'm embarrassed to admit I had let my weight creep up to 11st5lbs, not without attempts to diet but nothing had lasted. So I decided CD would provide a quick fix to the weight and by the time I went back to the doctor I had a healthy bmi. My BP was down a bit, and I was given another 3 months reprieve. Usual story, finished CD, put a few pounds back on, tried various diets, still struggling to get to that elusive target, BP hovering close to unhealthy. Last week I had my bp checked again and for the first time it is down, and I attribute this to the health benefits of JUDDD.

So for health reasons I want to stay with JUDDD, it is more important than a few pounds here or there. I also like the freedom to eat whatever I want on the UDs, compensating for any possible excess on DDs, for me that is closer to "normal" eating than constant denial. I have never had a big weight problem, but my genes dictate that I might in my 50s, so I need to have the tools to deal with it. Those factors together make it a logical lifestyle choice for me.

My weight is still unchanged after a weekend of the Unit, not sure if this is good or bad. Today is a DD so it will be interesting to see if anything changes in the morning.

Dreaming, if you really want to lose the last few pounds you will manage it. It just might take a bit longer.

Scales moved at last, now 9st12.5lbs :clap:. Whether I'll have put any back tomorrow is another matter, but I'd rather see fluctuations than nothing at all. I'm on an UD today, keeping to about 10 units for now.

If only it weren't raining and miserable, I really wanted to get the rest of the external doors painted today, no chance of that. It is market day here, going in the rain is never much fun so I'd better have serious thoughts about whether I really need anything. If all else fails I might have to do some work.

Last week I had my bp checked again and for the first time it is down, and I attribute this to the health benefits of JUDDD.

Thanks for your reply Claire! I understand completely:)

After my unit UD I'm down another .25lb. After the non-losses of the past couple of weeks I'm loth to make any forecasts, although going by what I'm eating I should be losing 1.5-2lbs a week. That would be 3-4 weeks to goal, but I'm not placing bets yet.
Busy day ahead today, my mother and sister are visiting my aunt in hospital so I have to look after my father who is in a wheelchair. He manages pretty well, but I will have to drive him around and sort out food, drinks etc.

Dreaming, how is it going for you? What day is your weigh in?

Joanne, hope you've been having a lovely holiday. It will be good to only have a short week when you get back too.

Glad to see a new poster on the thread, hello Dreaming! What's your diet story? Lost much? VLCD?

Claire - I'm delighted to see that you seem to have shifted off your plateau. Even if you stick there for a few days, you're that much closer to your goal. After glancing through the Unit Diet sheets, I see so few foods that I actually like or eat, I can't see it would be a good switch for me. I remember once, contemplating a switch to WW, I just couldn't eat my points as I ate too much free food naturally. I'm not sure where I'm going with my diet jumping at the moment, but I'm allowed to be baffled after a period out of the office! It's all a bit much for me this morning.

I gained 200g in 5 days at the house which I thought actually pretty good! I was restrained, but ate plums freely (well neighbours kept giving us them, and I currently have six big tupperwares of them in the fridge!), added potatoes to meals occasionally, had a chocolate Magnum yesterday, and had toast for breakfast. All "normal" things to do but with the carb fluctuations I have been seeing, I'm pleased to have slipped a few things in without damage.

I'll write more when settled into things in the office...

Karion - why are you thinking of dieting? I don't understand! I know what you mean about "looking at other people's holiday photos", though! While maintaining, I stuck around on the website I'd used to lose my weight, theoretically "helping other" but also "helping myself", I'm sure!!

Hi Joanne, it's always hard to get back to work again, I hope you haven't got too much work piled up waiting for you. You did really well to keep your weight down and still allow some extras, taking the scales was definitely the way to go. I agree that the unit handbook includes masses of stuff I never eat, and you probably can't even get most of the things. The matrix is possibly more useful (calories one axis, fat the other) but I haven't applied it to anything yet - might do that today. I do use the basic ingredients and take it as a rough guide in other areas. The thing that annoys me most is that wholegrain products rate higher than white and anything with oats or nuts is very high. So it is contra to GI principles which is not ideal.

I'm down again this morning after yesterday's DD, now 9st10.25lbs. I fully expect to go back up a bit tomorrow but it really does seem like the plateau is behind me. And I am only 3.25lbs from target, woohoo. I'll stick with this stricter regime for the next couple of weeks and hope that it comes good. My measurements were down a bit this morning too, even lost 1/4" off my enormous thighs - yes, as well as being a compulsive scale hopper I also measure once a week.

Sunshine at last, I must get my painting finished, this bit of it anyway. Plenty more to be done after that but I need to get the garage door finished, coral and red stripes is not a good look.

Well done Claire. That's a brilliant weigh in and just 3lbs over what you'd like to be. Perhaps the painting exercise has helped.

I can't honestly say that the Unit Diet appeals to me. It probably would have suited me down to the ground back in March 2002 when I ate lots of rubbish but as it's not the way I want to eat (even if it is how I usually end up when I do lose the plot), it doesn't sound right for me. I want to encourage myself to eat the healthier versions of things and, as you say, all these industrially produced ingredients I wouldn't be able to find if I wanted to! That matrix sounds FAR too complicated to be useful for the future...

I know what I should be eating - this calorie counting has woken me up to my eyes often under estimating portions and quantities but having done it strictly for a few weeks has not got me gauging things better so I'll probably move away from that gradually now too.

I definitely need more exercise, that's for sure.

Checking every calorie is frightening isn't it, I couldn't believe how much the white coffees were adding up to! I still can't drink it black, except my filter coffee in the morning, so I have cut down on how many I have. I'm sure I have read that people consistently underestimate the amount they are eating, and you soon realise how true it is when you really look closely.

I'm going to transfer the matrix onto a spreadsheet, it ought to be possible to enter a list of basic ingredients and have it calculate automatically what the unit value is. There are plenty of websites which give nutritional details of anything you can think of, plus a huge range of things you've never heard of.

I could do with more exercise too, classes start in a couple of weeks and that will make all the difference to me. What sort of exercise do you enjoy? Maybe you can find something you and your OH can do together, we used to play squash on Sunday mornings but ended up coming home hungry and having a huge breakfast, not the best of fitness plans!

Exercise + enjoy? Oxymoron!

I'm terrible and can't honestly say that I enjoy any exercise except walking... I do walk very very fast, and overtake everyone and get VERY angry if people hold me up. I run up four flights of stairs morning and night instead of taking escalators on public transport (and can't abide those who stand gazing around as if they're at Disneyland instead of getting on with going home!!).

Apart from that? Hmm. I quite enjoy picking beans... all that bending has to be good for something? hmm... I have a bike in the country but am pathetic. I used to swim but now value the texture of my hair too much to swim in the pool in my building (yep, I know!! but my highlights went green once!).

So, from Monday, three times a week half an hour power walk again on the way to work. I've managed to not do it now for about three weeks. Always having a "valid" reason (plums to carry - that was pretty valid actually! rain - hmm again my hair!!). Weekends we are pretty active at the house but will have to make an effort this weekend to get out and about as we're staying put. Usually walk to a market about 20 mins away, buy lots of fresh goodies, stop for a coffee and people watch, then stagger home with our food.

Hey Joanne. I was watching a programme last night where they tested a runner vs a walker for fat loss.

Very interesting. The walker burnt up more fat walking than the runner. How about that eh

Karion, I've seen a post about that somewhere - don't think it was here. Walking is better for fat loss because it isn't aerobic or something, anyway it boiled down to exercise which doesn't get you out of breath burns more fat.

Joanne, it is easy to think of excuses not to exert ourselves, much as I love dancing I do get evenings when I think "I just want to stay on the sofa". If I make myself go I always feel better for it. Talking of exercise it is time I took the dog out, although the speed she goes now can hardly be called exertion.

Hi Karion! Nice to know you're around, although I was horrified to see you mention a DIET you fancied trying. (don't go there!!!)

Claire - You're absolutely right. My feelings of joy when I see rain on opening my curtains in the morning are totally illogical as I actually enjoy the walk! I feel happy while doing it, and am far more energetic throughout the day as a result having done it... (so why the glee at seeing rain and knowing I don't have to do it? Hmm...)

I realise today that I'd obviously let my water consumption drop while away for the weekend as I can't keep out of the loo today!

Morning all,
I changed my ticker this morning and have now lost 0.5lb since last Friday so a good result all round, I reckon, given the slight gain yesterday. I do try to use Friday as my official weigh in day, despite being on and off the scales every day. These new scales of mine will put a stop to my weighing in more than once a day at least as they flash a red light if you've gained, and a green one if you've lost. (I don't like those flashing red lights in the evening!!)

So a weekend in the City this weekend, but expect to spend quite a bit of time with the kittens, now five weeks but not quite comprehending the usefulness of a litter tray! My poor friend is exhausted and frustrated so my turn to take over I think. We'll go out for walks, weather permitting, and must also sort out our basement as we bought an LCD TV this week and want to be able to store the big box but it currently won't fit in neatly!

So nothing exciting planned for me - foodwise, will stay strict and treats will be nice things like prawns and fresh salmon from the market rather than *other things*. I will have some fresh pasta too as do need to continue with the carb reintroduction.

What are you up to?

Hi, I am feeling tired and headachy this morning, for some reason I didn't sleep well last night. Scales up half a pound but I was expecting that so not too worried, and I still have less than 4lbs to go. Well done on the loss Joanne, considering it was largely holiday and you were dreading regaining that is excellent.

Another DD today, I would like to increase the calories on them a little but can't face the possibility of weight loss stalling again so I will stick it out now. So it's more prawns, strawberries etc, nice things but getting repetitive. I might even stretch to making some vegetable soup if it doesn't get warmer, but I do like some nice bread with my soup (sigh).

I tried on some old trousers yesterday, I could get into the skinny jeans with a bit of breathing in but my slightly stretchy snakeskin trousers are being stretched rather too much, not a good look. Mind you I was 9st3lbs when I bought them so I may never get to wear them again. Probably I should admit that I am too old for such clothes - but somehow I don't feel that way. It is possibly because I don't have kids to say "Mum, you can't go out looking like that!".

No real plans for the weekend, DH let slip last night that he is going sailing yet again, but just up to the coast so he will be back expecting to be fed in the evening. More painting for me I think, weather permitting. Kitten sitting sounds fun, except for the litter tray bit. I suppose you have to keep the TV box in case of warranty returns, but they are a nuisance and take up loads of space. Your weekend might seem longer without the travelling.

Hope you're feeling brighter now Claire. Like you, the thought of increasing calories in my daily routine isn't particularly appealing but in my case necessary if I hope to stabilise. I can't keep low carbing eternally and so every other day is a good solution for now and I'll see how that goes. Vegetable soup would go down nicely in this weather but, like you, I do enjoy fresh crusty bread with it.

I'd bin those "old trousers" if I were you! We all have pairs like that... I can honestly say that today, on August 17, I have still to put a pair of my "slimmed down into" summer trousers on. How awful is that?! I always swore I'd never let myself get above 11 stone, and here am I *happy* to be 11 stone 5lbs. Ah well! I can't cut back any further on the old food front and feel I am making good food choices at the moment (and am even MORE convinced of that having spent 10 mins looking at what people are eating on the Unit Diet forum!), so it's going to have to be exercise for me now... (UGH!!)

It's true that weekends in town always seem far longer as I'm less busy and of course don't have the journey to and fro so actually gain two evenings! It'll be good to catch up on sleep and get things sorted out at home. Being out all day at work, and away most weekends, means that some things just get pushed into drawers/cupboards/wherever to sort out "whenever"! Whenever has to come at some point...

Have a great weekend Claire,

Back