The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

You seem to have found ketosis so easy, I'm jealous because I had a horrid time getting into it and it never gave me any energy, just different metabolisms I suppose. Men always lose better than us, your OH has done well though, especially in admitting that he needed to. Whereabouts in the UK are your family? We get brown and pink shrimps here (brown=grey) but we are coastal so the local catch is available on the markets. My DH used to be an inshore fisherman so we got lots of shellfish, I actually got tired of lobster!

I don't know about the ferries letting you transfer, the train allows you to go up to 2 hours outside youre booking time without charge I think. We often use the train because the dog stays with us that way. Are you buying any English stuff to take home with you?

I slipped easily into ketosis, it's true, probably because I low carbed the week before (not no carb, but low). As for moods and tiredness, yes I've been moody and tired, but I often am anyway (hee hee!) so no one noticed!!

Funnily enough, we're coastal too, a place called Fareham midway between Portsmouth and Southampton but he swears our local fish monger doesn't have them. We bought some frozen lobster tails last weekend, funnily enough, and are saving them for our New Year's Eve seafood platter.

The ferries used to simply wave you on whatever boat was next to leave but now they just let you on one boat early (just 50 mins early in this instance) but we'll try our luck earlier still. If they thought about it, they'd make more money as the earlier boat is less likely to be full compared to our Friday evening one so they'd be able to sell our ticket again! Might be too much for them though!

As for what do I bring back from England, actually my list is now ever shorter. I used to bring back a lot of sweet things (Cadbury's chocolate for me, Bourneville for him; tinned sponge puddings; custard) mmm but I won't bother this time as still have loads leftover!! I will bring back biscuits; instant coffee; teabags; porridge oats; deodorants; oxo cubes; fry lite sprays; and some other things which escape my mind which are either unavailable here, or very expensive.

In reverse, I will be bringing to England my two x sons for the galettes, fromage blanc, a load of 0% fat yoghurts, smoked salmon (so expensive in Blighty!), some "fat free"(!) ham etc required for continuation of the diet! Also some foie gras and anyone who comments on how it's produced won't get to eat any! Don't tell the customs man, will you?!

Foie gras mmmmm, I love it. I try not to think about how it's made. I can't afford the goose one so treat myself to duck instead, which is sad because I like ducks whereas I think geese are horrid, aggressive birds and had it coming.

It's very surprising that Fareham doesn't have shrimps, even if they aren't fished locally you'd think they'd be available. I never understand the wide variation in prices between England and France, we always bring back real coffee and tinned chestnuts and artichokes. Plus the totally unavailable petits suisses, mousse de canard, saucisson fume etc. Tou can get oat and wheat bran over here, Holland and Barrett stock them and probabaly some supermarkets too, but it's probably easier to bring your own.

I still have some shopping to get done, I've been rather bad about leaving things till the last minute. And I haven't planned any menus so I must get on with that as prices will shoot up this weekend. Finally made mince pies yesterday, with homemade mincemeat and brandy butter made with calvados. I'm hoping the DDs can make up for excesses like that!

Have a lovely holiay if I don't see you here before you go.

Quick fly past from me, I know Joanne and IDA are MIA, how are you getting on Tasha? I braved the shops this morning and just have a few tiny bits to sort out, plus cooking.

My weight is staying stable at 9st 7lbs, I go a bit over or under but have kept thereabouts with no trouble. I haven't really bothered with counting properly on DDs, just estimating that I am around 1000-1200, on the basis that if my weight goes up I'll know I've been getting it wrong!

I plan on making a cake today, sponge rather than fruit, and want to do it in a big bell shape, makes a change from Yule logs etc. I seem to have missed any carol singing this year, maybe we'll be able to fit something in, I really enjoy them - not so keen on sitting through church services though!

I tackled the shops today too - Tesco's!!!!!! It was dreadful!!! Still least now its done.

Sounds like you have this weight thing sorted - great attitude too.

I have finished work now for 11 days - woohoo!!!!! Looking forward to a nice relaxing Christmas.

Am going to my parents on Christmas day and then they are coming to us for Boxing day. Am going to do roast beef, roast potatoes and parsnips, cauliflower cheese, carrots and sprouts and of course yourshire pud!!! With bread and butter pudding for after!!!!

All light and low calorie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Kids are getting very excited!!

I quite like a church carol service - our local church has lots of lit candles which make it lovely - cant sing carols though - far too high for me!!

Tasha, how lovely to have so much time off. I've got some work to get done before the end of December, plus scenery painting for the pantomime so it won't be much of a holiday for me.

Shopping is a nightmare, I thought I was all sorted bar one or two last minute bits, then last night we heard a friend's father had died and the funeral is today, so that will steal what little free time I was hoping to have. Sounds like you have a nice family Christmas ahead, with lots of food, who cares about the calories, the diet will still be there in January.

Have a fantastic Christmas, I hope for one day at least my duties will be confined to a bit of cooking.

Well Christmas is officially over, New Year not here yet, so I'm in limbo. Lots to do for the panto which opens on Wednesday, I've got the hardest bit of the backdrop painted and now it is just swirling clouds to do. I got our VAT return done, just need to pop it in the postbox and that's another job finished.

And was I good over Christmas? Not as good as I'd intended, the DDs gained a bit and the UDs a lot, but my weight hasn't leapt up too much. I'm not taking too much notice until after New Year, then I'll take a hold of things. How about everyone else, have you enjoyed the holiday and celebrations?

I didn't weigh myself this morning, plenty of time for that tomorrow. Pantomime opens tomorrow night so no chances to nibble in the evening for the rest of the week, that should help any post holiday bulges. I haven't jumped up much, I was only a pound over my target, so it should be easy to get back (I hope) especially since this will be quite a lean week and we've nearly finished all the Christmas treats.

Work again tomorrow (sulking), well it had to happen sometime.

Happy New Years folks!!!!

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Last day off today as kids don't go back to school until tomorrow. Weighed myself this morning and am 11/10 so gained around 3lbs over Christmas. Hopefully will come off soon together with a further 7lbs at least!!

Good luck with the panto Claire - break-a-leg!!!!:D

Hi Tashy, three pounds on is not bad considering the amount of temptation Chrsitmas offers. I'm sure you'll start losing as soon as routines get back to normal. I've gained a pound, which on past performance will take me about three weeks to shift! I'm not too bothered, it could have been a lot worse.

I'm only doing chorus this year so I'm not panicking, no costume changes except for a tiny bit when I operate the UV stars and have to dress up assassin style with a black stocking over my head - not a pretty look.

Joanne, are you back at work now? Hope Christmas in England was fun.

Ida, how are you getting on? Hope all is well.

Hello all,

I just couldn't get on internet before as have been inundated with work since returning from holiday yesterday! So sorry!

So, briefly (cos I'm off home in 5 mins) - In my nine days in England, I managed to stay true to D*k*n for four days total, one day I gave myself *off* (25th of course!), and then I lost the plot from 27th to 30th included, including one memorable (more or less) non stop eating session from 9am when we left Cambs to midnight (Christmas cake) when we arrived at the country place! Fourteen hours worth! YUM YUM!

As planned, straight on the scales the following morning, full of Christmas cake, chocolate, sandwiches, crisps, etc etc etc and even I was horrified to see the result - plus 8 KILOS! OK must take into account the amount I'd consumed the 12 hours previous to weigh in AND the fact that I'd been not low carb but NO carb for the 7 weeks preceding Christmas, yet probably only ate carbs during Christmas period!

I bravely climbed back into the D*k*n wagon on 31/12 and now, nine days later, I'm a mere 0.5K up on pre-Christmas weight and STILL a non smoker (a year on Feb 1...). I don't think I've ever been as light (65.2K) on a January 8 in my life!!

So 0.7K to go on D*k*n, then I must move onto Consolidation to reintroduce carbs slowly... probably next week or the week after.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL, and hope to get back for a chat tomorrow!

(I'm deliberately starring out the name of the diet so that I'm not the only thing I find on the subject when I google it, as I once did!!)

Hi Joanne

Thats an impressive gain and an even MORE impressive loss!!!! Your body must gain and lose quite easily!!! Many congrats on being only .5 kilo off your (very good) pre-xmas weight AND for not smoking!!!

I've been hovering at around 11/7 for the past 2 months however this morning I was 11/12 and I feel very fat and bloated and vile!!!!

I've decided to try and reach my ideal of 10 stone and have joined W8 - similar to Cambridge. I having packs plus a protein/veg meal in the evening. 26lbs to go!!!!!:D

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALSO :D

Hi, good to see everyone still alive. I've been having some internet access problems of my own, we are having new windows fitted so I had to move my pc from its normal home by the back window and now the network cable isn't long enough so I can only access the net from the other pc which I have to timeshare with my DH. Hopefully it should be back to normal by tomorrow.

I've managed to maintain pretty well, still fluctuating in the normal JUDDD fashion but not gaining or losing overall. I was delighted to have a New Year without having to resolve to lose weight, how cool is that? It has been a really busy time with a lot of work (still much of it hanging over me) plus pantomime. I start rehearsals for the show I'm directing on Friday so a lot of preparation to do there too. I went back to dance class on Monday night, and have been aching ever since. It felt great to do some exercise again despite the outcome, I think I'm too old to take breaks from it.

Joanne, congratulations on minimising the gain, and especially on a whole year of not smoking, what a triumph. I think I'd have cried if I saw my weight jump 8 kilos, but then I don't lose (or gain) anything like as quickly as you do - it would take me a few months to lose that! Consolidation is something to look forwards to, I thought the advice on that in Je Ne Sais Pas Maigrir was very sensible.

Tashy, good luck with W8, is that the one where they send you everything? It sounds more interestng foodwise than CD, which I must admit was rather dull. If the losses are similar you'll probably only need to do it for about 6 weeks before you reach your goal. Have you thought about what you'll do for maintenance afterwards?

Have a good day everyone, I am freezing to death here as the window is out but I have to stay in the room because of the dog.

Oh no re no window Claire! Fortunately it's not *too* cold at the moment.

I'm a bit scared of moving onto Consolidation yet, to be honest, having eaten so much just eight days ago, so I think I'll linger a little on Phase 2, perhaps introducing a couple of things they suggest instead of the full blown consolidation. This phase is definitely the part which intrigued me the most about the diet, and something I never bothered to do "before" when I lost weight. I think I'll stick to the alternate eating for now, and it's certainly easy now in ketosis and meal planning is easy with my other half doing it too... he has more to lose still alas so I might have to sneak in "gala meals" at lunchtime so as not to tempt the poor soul!

Tash - 10 stone target sounds VERY low to me given your height but of course that's an individual choice! I must admit that the idea of food packs has never appealed to me and while it might seem to many that I eat strange "meals" (hardly "meals" in the true sense of the word when simply composed of protein), I do like chewing...!!

Joanne, careful you don't lose too much (I know that sounds impossible). Gentle reintroduction of carbs is what this phase is all about, as I understand it. I appreciate that leaving ketosis is scary ( it didn't affect me much for some reason) but presumably you still largely eat the PL diet and just have occasional carbs. As you say, you can have them at work. It's great that your OH is happy to carry on with the diet. Are you still producing an excess of egg yolks? I have six egg whites sitting in my fridge, I am going to have to make a nougat glace I think (it's that or pavlova and thay demand immediate eating).

I've had a rush of blood to the head and started to paint the living room. This end hasn't been done in ages and I thought while I've got my pc out of the corner it would be a really good time to tackle the job. So this corner has just had the quickest paint job in recorded history and I'm now set up in my no-longer-draughty niche again. The downside is that this weekend will be dedicated to moving the desk (assuming I can find it under all those papers) and the piano so I can paint behind them.

Hi Girls

Feeling a bit better today - have lost 3.5lbs and am feeling less bloated.

Joanne - at 10 stone am still way in the healthy zone - am 5ft 8 - however will monitor it as I go. Not just having packs - am doing the equivalent to CD790 and having a protein/veg meal in the evening which makes it much more bearable.

For maintenance (if I ever get that far!!) I will reintroduce foods as they do in CD - protein and veg and refined carbs last. Am going to try and retune my eating habits as I go.

Good luck with the painting Claire - feels so good once its done though!

Hi everyone
I seem to be getting busier the more I do, surely this must end eventually. A combination of work, domestic stuff and preparing for the rehearsal tonight (loads of printing needed) has left me barely enough time to think. So just a quick fly by today.

I haven't weighed myself for three days, I must do so tomorrow or I will feel out of control again. I hope I'm still maintaining, but without the scales how can I be sure? I really want to wean myself off them, but I don't want to regain weight, such a dilemma.

Tasha, your new diet sounds sensible, will you be in ketosis? Getting your maintenance sorted is the key to weightloss, I'm convinced of it. And it looks like you have that planned out well, so fingers crossed you should be well into it by the spring.

Joanne, hope work isn't too hectic today. Are you going to the country this weekend? It must be a while since you were there.

Well done Tash! It is nice to feel "in control" again... I agree that the 790 is more "normal" sounding than just food packs and does at least kind of prepare you for "real life" again.

Claire - phase 3 is actually quite a change from the previous phases. You are supposed to do it for 10 days for each kilo you've lost (5 pounds per pound!). You are indeed having salad or veg with every meal (which is a change!), but also having 2 slices of wholemeal bread (yikes), 40g lowish fat cheese and one fruit per day, AND two portions of pasta per week, AND two "gala meals" a week, which he suggests you have at a restaurant (to avoid having leftovers or being able to fill your plate up more than once) where you're advised to have starter, main, dessert AND wine if you like! Just not two days successively... One day a week, for life, will be Pure Protein, and very strictly too (no salmon allowed, just "whites"!).

My other half has now decided to stop so both of us will switch to Phase 3 on Jan 21st. It will be easier doing it together, and I think we'll start with just one gala meal per week!

We were at the country house for a week from NY's Eve to last Sunday so this one is a City weekend, so typically it's going to rain in the mornings when we like to walk to markets! How often it does rain is incredible JUST when we stay in the city and I love markets!

Hope you have a good weekend, both of you...

This weekend seems to have dashed past without me achieving anything. I have a client calling in tomorrow and the place is a total mess, so I'll be up early wielding the hoover. It's going to be a very hectic week so I may not be around much. January is always a busy time for me, this year worse than usual for no apparent reason.

Joanne, I hope you enjoyed the markets, I love french markets. We have a couple here but they are very small now and I fear one day they will cease altogether. The traders have to start so early and be out in all weathers, it must be a tough way to earn a living. I'd forgotten the details of the consolidation phase, the things which stuck in my mind were the "only one serving" and the gala meals. Do you think you'll be happy with the eventual one day a week PP? I'm surprised at how easily I accept the continuing DDs, and even quite like them, in a strange masochistic kind of way.

Tasha, hope you had a great weekend. How's the W8 going?

Ida, hope you are feeling OK (((HUGS)))

Morning all - and sorry that your day is starting off busily Claire,

I had a good weekend; markets both days, and since I can't (yet) buy fruit, I bought mussels, prawns, brown shrimp, cod, salmon and squid! All "free foods" on this diet so a real treat to eat.

I plan to have one gala meal only, and probably sausages to start with (cos have a freezer full of OH's homemade sausages and need to free up space AND they're delicious served hot over salad). I'll have them Wednesday no doubt followed by a Thursday PP day (which will include a big pot of mussels for starter, and some nice fish and seafood for main, and some faux fillet no doubt - hardly sacrificing huh?!). I'm sure, once out of ketosis, however, it'll be a hungry Thursday alas... but at least the memories of those sausages might help see me through!

I made delicious D___n flans this weekend - something OH has always liked, but I used to find them too "eggy". Amazing what you get into when restricted, heh?

Have been told today by "a friend"(?) that I should stop this diet as am looking haggard! Thanks friend! One more week!!

And how are you?

Back