The last stone mission......ROLL UP!!!!

I don't graze at all during the week, and wish I could cure myself of nibbling at the weekends. The weekend nibbling is purely "boredom" (you know what I mean) or feeling fanciful and has nothing to do with "hunge" but better to eat a flan or a chicken leg (no crabsticks this weekend!) than what R filled up on yesterday. He refused to tell me his weight this morning. Says it all! I think sometimes also I quite fancy a cigarette. I know I'll never smoke again, that's a given, but when I sit down for a coffee and a break at the weekend, I don't quite know what to do with my hands. It used to be smoke, then eat, and now... I'm still working on that one...

I'm sticking to composing my meals "properly" too, having starter and dessert, neither of which I used to... sometimes it feels like a lot of food. It IS a lot of food...

You'll have to take up knitting! I'm told it can become an obsession, although I'm rubbish at it so never bother. I don't really need another hobby, life is way too busy already.

I used to knit a lot, and can quite enjoy it and do several things manically one after the other, then go off it mid-sleeve, and not pick it up for years... I'm at the latter stage at the moment!

I need a friend to have a baby - that usually encourages me as I love knitting those little matinee jackets and booties! (No I'm not broody, and never have been, and am NOT interested in seeing my knitting on a little body; just like knitting them as they grow fast!!)

All well on the food front and so am continuing with the Consolidation programme... while keeping an eye on my approaching holiday (leaving Good Friday evening) and thinking about meal planning therefor. I have in the past so often let myself down at the time of a "holiday", be it the change of rhythm, the lack of structure to my day, or my weakness purely and simply, that I'm trying to be so organised that nothing can trip me up! I do like my clothes being nice and roomy and it would be lovely, albeit a miracle, to come back from holiday and not have to embark upon a strict regime!!

x

Restraint is hard on holiday, perhaps you could have a carb curfew and just allow them between certain times?

I had a good DD yesterday, didn't have dinner until 9.00pm because I wasn't feeling like it before dancing, so I just had a ham galette (D*kan style) with salad when I got home. Tonight will be a quick grab and eat before I go off to rehearsals. I finished my choreography and am quite pleased with it, it isn't really my favourite style but works OK for the number - rather girlie and Eurovision.

I feel that your suggestion in your first paragraph, while kind, is probably exactly what I used to do - and then lose the plot etc etc.

What I'm currently doing (eating carbs six days a week) is supposed to be re-educating me into knowing that they are available, so don't become again a "forbidden food" on which I'd want to binge, but also to get my body used to having them so that if ever I were to overeat on them, I'd not gain 3K overnight as I used.

My instincts tell me to go with the programme, even allowing a bit more... I'm not doing the full consolidation programme yet, but am nearing the time when I ought to anyway, so I thought of testing the full Consolidation while on holiday (ie, two x portions of pasta per week - 200g cooked is allowed which is a lot! I could do 150g twice; two x gala meals - I could make one more restrained than the other, but distinctly two; plus 50g pain complet per day with 40g cheese. And respect the Thursday protein). Might be worth a try, scarey though it sounds. As I'll not be paying a hotel etc on holiday, I'll just have to spoil myself on seafood, prawns, mussels etc which I of course always do at weekends, to lessen the calorie blow, but can do all week...

What fun that you too chose galettes sometimes. I do love them. Did you try drinking with it? Mind you, at that time of night, I don't suppose you needed to be that full. I bring mine to work during the week and eat it cold, which I like, but Sunday have it hot which I adore!

You're doing a lot of exercise with these rehearsals which is great. Being active definitely helps the weight - not only in the form of exercise but also being busy takes one's mind off eating of course!

Tash?

Hi Folks

Still feeling bloated - even though am being very good. I joined weight watchers online on Friday and have been sticking to my points allowance. Dropped a little but MUST still be hanging onto some fluid - (at least I hope thats what it is and not that I maintain at 1200 cals per day :eek:)

Good to see you both maintaining so well.

Bet you are looking forward to your holiday Joanne - we are off for 2 weeks soon at the beginning of April - cant wait!

What are you rehearsing for Claire - is this the one where the 'grande fromage' is coming to watch!!

Tash

Great to read that things are going better on the weight front Tash. I honestly don't think you have another stone to lose, judging from the photos we saw, but for you to decide of course. It's nice to be back "in control", though, I'm sure...

I had my fast walk as usual this morning on the way to work, a little faster than usual towards the end as the rain clouds were gathering literally over my head... I could see them ahead of me, yet I had to keep advancing! I just got to my office and sat down when WHOOSH... down came the "cats and dogs"!

Good weigh in this morning, particularly as tomorrow is the protein only day to undo any gain in the week (and I've lost!), but good for me to be in this position 10 days before a break. I always find a change in routine complicated where food is concerned, and having more time on my hands to prepare it/think about it/eat it has never served me well... this time, however, I'm really trying - not only by continuing to eat my carbs, whether I want them or not (usually not, to be honest! I'm so used to not having them!), but also by planning my menus! and my cooking cos I do like to cook, just have to not reach for the butter and cream as I so often do!!

Hope you're ok today Claire

Last night's rehearsal went well but I had some bad news, one of my cast has had to withdraw as his work patterns have changed so he is no longer available the week of the show. That has put us in a bit of turmoil, there are still a couple of months rehearsals so if we can find a replacement quickly all should be well.

I didn't drink much with the galette with it being quite late in the evening. I'll try to remember the tip for if I have one at lunchtime. I used to have them quite often when on the weight loss part of JUDDD, sometimes just using half the mixture at a time, as they are very low calorie if you use the eggwhite version. Never tried them cold, not sure I'd be so keen, a bit like a wholemeal tortilla I imagine. Getting your body used to full consolidation sounds like a good idea, I'm trying to visualise 200g of cooked pasta but I've never weighed it after cooking so haven't a clue.

I'm not sure I get much exercise rehearsing, I do have to keep on the go but it isn't active like dance classes, even last night when I was demonstrating moves it wasn't strenuous. Better than sitting at home with a packet of biscuits of course!

Lovely morning here, it always makes life feel better when the sun shines. I have a huge list of things to get on with, although most of them are fairly quick ones involving phonecalls. I keep putting them off because sometimes I just don't feel like talking to people, I must have missed my vocation and should have been a hermit, a hermit with internet access preferably.

Morning
and what a drag being one person down, but fortunately there is time to work things round it (just more work for you!!).

The cold galette is a different texture and taste to hot, funnily enough, but is great at keeping you full until lunchtime (I have it for breakfast but eat it in office). One tip is to cool it thoroughly before wrapping, else can go soggy. R likes his galettes thick and "moist" (aka "soggy"). I like mine thin and "dry" so cook mine a lot longer than he does. Some pop them in the oven, others in micro wave. Endless possibilities!

200g cooked pasta - where dry tagliatelle and spaghetti are concerned that's between 3 and 4oz. Incredible amount! I ate half that the first few times I had pasta, but have now increased the dose (without ill effect on the scale, so why not!!).

That's part of it, Claire - better than sitting at home with biscuits! I'm sure that's why I need to be busy (not busTy as I typed, but that would be nice too!) - even sorting out the kitchen cupboards and shelves, as I plan to do this weekend in the city, will help... no "exercise" as such, but less time on my butt!

Thursday protein today, so some "interesting" ingredients (I won't say "meals", cos they're not!). On the menu today:

Lunch:
-handful peeled prawns, 4oz scallops, chicken breast, hard boiled egg, 2oz leftover chicken livers, fromage blanc, natural fat free yoghurt. YUM! (amazing how it fills you; I divide onto two tea plates for a starter and main and the combinations are endless!!)

Dinner:
Steak with (runny) poached egg and some fromage blanc

crabsticks later if starving!

I tried weighing 3-4 oz of dry spaghetti, it would be a lot as an accompaniment although as a meal in itself with a simple sauce or pesto maybe not so bad, especially for a man. Not sure I fancy cold chicken livers but the rest sounds good. I like them lightly cooked with some grapes or other fruit to stop them tasting dry. Your weight seems to be going down still, I'm impressed by your dedication to the diet.

Breakfast was galette this morning (I had an idea about making something which needs egg yolks this weekend so any egg white only recipes will be exploited), lunch will be prawns and salad, not sure about dinner, I'm dashing out to rehearsals again this evening. It's good to keep busy, as you say, but difficult to fit in cooking sensibly. I haven't weighed this week at all so will see what Saturday brings, this is something I'm finding hard, sort of torn between weighing constantly and not weighing at all if that makes sense.

I popped the chicken livers in the microwave with the chicken breast - BAD idea! They blew up and I spent longer cleaning out the office microwave than eating the darned things... so perhaps won't save any of those from my next liver meal... you live and learn eh?!

Weight is only going down because I'm not having all I'm allowed (this pasta I'm only having with my gala meal whereas I'm "allowed" that humungous portion twice a week in ADDITION to my gala meal). If I weren't going on "holiday" (aka the house in the country) one week today, I would be having more extras by now, given my base weight, but I prefer to keep it low for obvious reasons (for those with good memories!!!). I will do a proper 100% Consolidation week while on holiday though. That goes without saying. As you say, 3-4oz is loads if accompanying meat, but seems less if with spag bol or carbonara or sauce mixed in with it... all very fattening of course so I've tried to accompany meat or fish (cos the one time I didn't, and stirred salmon and peas through the pasta, it looked so dry that I then (STUPIDLY) added butter, cream and full fat grated cheese! hee hee! (lovely it was too!)

Have to stay dedicated to the diet - cos I've not finished yet. Officially, I need 70 days' Consolidation (thus until end April) BUT given that I'm not up to 100% Consolidation yet, I shall consider up to the summer as the period. Easy for me to do as I seem to have SO much to eat now compared to when I was trying to lose weight!

D***n does have a recipe for meringes (aspartame ones of course) but people have "complained" at the texture / taste... one thing I read this morning that someone did, which sounds nice, is to use a 0% fat fruit yoghurt (not sure you can get this in the UK) and whisk up an egg white until stiff, and incorporate. You have a mousse! Someone recommended that because people wanted to buy 0% fat fruit MOUSSES... and apparently they have 50% fruit in, compared to 10% fruit in yoghurts, so too much sugar for D***n weight loss phase. Worth trying?

I still weigh constantly... just can't help it. Even if I often have a conversation with myself beforehand to remind myself what I ate last night so what I ought to expect on the scales!

Tash - OK?

Have good weekends both of you
x

Woohoo -weight finally shifted. Been 11/10 for days despite being angelic. This morning 11/7.5 :D:D:D

Must have been fluid retention as ate normally yesterday (ie didnt fast)

Am hoping for a steady 1 - 2 lb loss per week now.

That's great Tashy, these plateaus can be so frustrating and we just have to trust that they will pass eventually.

I'm feeling totally lousy this morning, I have one of these colds which keeps coming and going, it's been really bad this weekend and I was coughing continuously last night. Weight was OK on Saturday, I thought it would have gone up a lot but I was wrong. Today should be a DD, and I certainly don't feel like eating, but I also don't want to be bothered with making anything. Soup would be the best thing to have but it is so much effort to make, and I'm not keen on bought varieties.

Joanne, that yogurt and eggwhite mix sounds good. I tried the meringues but they aren't as crisp as normal ones. Flavourings are often pretty unpleasant, but I did like the Cambridge drink flavours and used the berry one to flavour yogurts and fromage frais. Did you enjoy your city weekend? Not long until your holiday now, I have ages to wait for mine.

Morning girls,

and delighted to see that your scales have started sweet talking to you again Tash... how much more do you want to lose? You must be almost there now, no, being so tall?

oh Claire - I am sorry you're feeling unwell. Heinz tomato? Mmmm! My city weekend was a joy (gynae Sat am; she wasn't thrilled with the diet news, there's a surprise! still it was interesting to see that I'd lost 9lbs since I last saw her, a month after I quit smoking. She did like that part! Still I have a prescription to do a full blood count, which I'll do tomorrow morning, and I'll be VERY interested in the results. I am a bit tired at the moment, I'll admit, but I'm not sleeping too well either (no reason I can think of) so I'll blame that rather than the diet / weight loss.

Yes four days until holiday! YAY! Unfortunately every man and his wife will also be on the road Friday evening, but futile sitting at home twiddling fingers waiting to leave when I could be sitting in a traffic jam twiddling same, eh?!

The best part about this "holiday" (which will be a "working holiday") is that I return, work four weeks then have over two weeks'" holiday which will only be costing me six vacation days because of all the Holidays here in May! (That'll be it for a while then though!!).

So where is anyone else going and when for holidays? Am I the only one who works harder at weekends and on holiday than I ever do weekdays when getting paid? (ssssh!)

Morning girls,

and delighted to see that your scales have started sweet talking to you again Tash... how much more do you want to lose? You must be almost there now, no, being so tall?

Would be almost there if I was 6 foot!!!!! Am 5ft 8 so not very tall really - how tall are you- I thought you were 5/7 - only 1 inch less than me?

So where is anyone else going and when for holidays? Am I the only one who works harder at weekends and on holiday than I ever do weekdays when getting paid? (ssssh!)

We are going to Gran Canaria in April for 12 nights - can't wait. However DEFINATELY wont be working harder on this holiday - is a lovely hotel, half board, stunning beach just outside with lovely walks and sanddunes.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Morning, and a COLD but sunny morning here this morning

I didn't get my usual 20 min speedwalk on the way here this morning, as had to do the blood test nil by mouth and was soooooooo thirsty I just wanted to get there fast! Fingers crossed that my cholesterol levels haven't hit the roof, with this protein diet, and then I can continue my merry way on the consolidation and stabilisation parts. Should I now have a cholesterol issue, it would be purely as a result of this diet, as all was well previously, but the worst is that I'd have to revisit my eating plan (which would scare me while things are going well on the weight / compulsive eating front to have to change my menus!!). So fingers crossed!

aaah beach and sanddunes... lazy sleepy siestas and nice dinners out, I'll bet. My "holidays" always seem to be spent working (renovating, painting, or feeding/watering/clearing up after those doing same!!). Yet I LOVE it! I guess having been a tenant for some 25 years, finally having my OWN PLACE to do up makes all the difference.

So not long to go until your holiday Tash and an excellent motivation with the prospect of having to show us photos of you on the beach in your bikini!!

Hope you're feeling better today Claire and, if not, that you're staying in a warm bed (and hopefully being waited on!!)

I'm 5'6"... each inch does give one more leeway, I've noticed!

Morning all, and I'm still snivelling and coughing, got a doctor's appointment for late this afternoon. Normally I wouldn't bother him but this has been going on for a month now and I think it needs a bit of help, well to be honest my DH is fed up and insisted I do something. No sunshine here, grey cloud but no rain yet, I'd swap that for cold and sunny any day.

Tashy, a holiday in April, oooh that is getting close. Turning green here, I'm not going anyway until mid June. I'm not a beach holiday person, but with the kids it will be lovely for you to relax as they play.

Joanne, having a house of your own is lovely, and it must be very satisfying to know you have made yours beautiful. Doesn't it feel like you are leading a double life, the working city one and the country one? I do hope the news is good on the cholesterol front, I've never had mine tested so have no idea if it is high or low. I would have thought your doctor would be really pleased with how you are doing, stopping smoking and controlling your weight is an amazing achievement. My holiday will be in France, camping in Sarthe, possibly down to the Loir (yes le not la), then a week in the Perche.

I must get on with things, I have a rehearsal tonight so need to get prepared. Have a good day.

I'm not a beach holiday person myself either but have fond memories of same when I was a child and your children will have the same! My Mum used to tell us how both my sister and I would refuse to keep wet swimsuits on, so she had to change us each and every time we came out of the sea! Just imagine!!

As for my double life, yes I suppose it does... if only I could move there full time, I'd be there like a shot! My doctor wasn't overly impressed because of the means of losing the weight. People who've never had a weight issue (or smoked) are less impressed at what we achieve than those who've been there, done it, I often find. They're often also sadly lacking in knowledge. When I was huge, no one medical ever helped other than to pass me the sort of calorie counted photocopied sheet which would end up in the bin at the first corner of the street outside! Useless!

You probably know more parts of France than me, Claire, and that won't change now of course as we'll head more and more just to our place. It is nice having my own place but I am aware, probably because of having the two places to pay bills on, and the monthly cost of toing and froing, that we're doing this on a shoestring so renovations are more cost oriented than to my taste necessarily which is a shame but an economic necessity.

You take care - I agree re doctor. Perhaps you need to eat a bit more while unwell...

Some sunshine today, apparently it won't last but I can enjoy it for now. The doctor lisyened to my chest, told me it was good and that whatever I might have had is recovering. So how come I am coughing worse? He said the cough can hang on for six weeks or so - aargh. He did give me a scrip for antibiotics, and although I hate them I am taking them, my big problem is that I am allergic to loads of them and dread having violent nausea on top of the rest of it. I'm not worrying too much about food, it is a DD but I don't feel like eating anyway. Carbs are vital for blood cell production so I won't go too low there.

I think your doctor is being unreasonable, you didn't stay on the high protein regime for a long time, and the maintenance will only use it for one day. Any possible dangers are negligible compared to those from smoking or obesity. Mine was absolutely fine about Cambridge, just asked how I got on with it. The only odd thing was he didn't suggest weight loss as a way of controlling my blood pressure, just wanted to give me pills, and was quite shocked when I totally refused.

We do tend to explore a bit while on holiday, it's nice to see new places, and to revisit favourites. I probably get to see a lot more of places when on holiday than I do in England, here I seem to just visit places where family and friends live. England is horrid to get around, the roads are so overcrowded.

Back