Extra Easy The mince mine field

curvesncurls

Hi gang,
Hope the weight loss is going well. Quick question about mince, as you may have guessed! When it says extra lean, what kinds can you buy? Blushing as I ask something so simple. It's just I can see lean mince and my mum says that round mince is lean mince, but I saw a thread saying extra lean is different and that these both have syns in them?
So font of all knowledge, speak to me please...??!!
C&C

i only buy mince that says 'extra lean' - tescos healthy living range and morrisons do it also, i know that for sure. However it can be hard to come by, so i will resort to lean and then cook, and poor into seive with boiling water, press all the fat out and return to pan to continue with whatever im making xx

im the same as fern i only buy it if it actually says extra lean.

my asda sells it and its usually £2.87 a pack or 2 packs for £5...i get two meals out of each pack as i split them into half.

Check the fat content on the nutrition label. You are looking for not much more than 5% (5g per 100g) of fat. The terms lean, superlean, extra lean, etc., etc., are not used in a consistent way and are often misleading, so the only way to be sure is to read the nutritional details.

im the same as fern i only buy it if it actually says extra lean.

my asda sells it and its usually £2.87 a pack or 2 packs for £5...i get two meals out of each pack as i split them into half.
Thats what I do.
my butcher sells a massive tray of mince that you can get 6 to 8 meals out of (based on me and 2 boys) and said it's superlean, I don't know wether to belive him or not lol

I always buy under 5% Waitrose Extra Lean Mince - but if it isnt available, i would buy the next 'leanest' and drain all excess fat from it.

Its about being resourceful rather than cheating!!! :) x

Ah, glad to have found this thread, as I was a bit scared to buy just 'lean' mince in case it wasn't lean enough. Couldn't find extra lean at all, but will search more.

I always boil the mince in water first and then drain all the fat off, I then turn it into whatever I want and quite often split the boiled mince into 2 pans and make either a chilli from the sw website and a Sheppard's pie with mashed Swede to replace the potatoes.

I also add diced carrot, mushrooms, celery, baked beans and anything else I fancy that I have in the cupboard to bulk it out more.

Just as long as you know that SW do not advocate doing that and say that rinsing it does not make it syn free

It is up to you how much you are willing to tweak the plan

I have just started making my own mince, which works out cheaper for me. I buy a nice lean joint of lamb/pork/beef and cut it up (and take the fat off) and whizz it in the food processor. It makes loads and I freeze the mince I'm not using that day.

Back