The new addition.

He wasn't over keen on the milk or the teat to start with but eventually cottoned on and finished the lot. He is fast asleep now. He had a bit if a screaming, hissy fit until Paul came home and gave him a good cuddle.

The bab is now peaceful..........ahhhhhhh

A few photos takem this morning.

th_spirit290610007.jpg
th_spirit290610005.jpg

th_spirit290610008.jpg
th_spirit290610003.jpg

We were so thrilled this morning. He did his first poo !!! The excitment was palpable lol. !!! I have been so worried cos he hadn't had a little poo. I had read that you need to emulate the mums tongue and massage the tummy and "bits" every time they feed. He had been weeing o.k. I had cut some toweling squares from a terry cloth, dipped them in warm water so it felt like mums tongue and still nothing. This morning I found out, from my good friend Mr. Google, that first you have to wash their face and then the whole body as if you were mum and then their bits. It worked. Phew !!!

We also weighed him this morning. A new born kitten should weigh about 100g. and gain 10g. per day. He weighs 150g. The weigh in will be daily from now on.

He is now fast asleep, but what a pair of lunges he has when it is time for more feed.......talk about " Feed me, feed me ".

Just fed him again and he polished off the lot.....bless !!!

Oh what a sweetie! (and alot of hard work!) Bless you for what you are doing!

Thank you for the lovely photos of little Spirit. They have helped cheer me up. Hope he continues to do well, he certainly seems to be flourishing so far.

Awww how lovely wonder if his mum had him in the fright of the storm. Glad you have managed to get some kitten formula, cats are lactose intolerant so shouldn't have cows milk it can make them ill sorry don't want to sound like a bossy britches, just wouldn't want your kit to be pooorly :)

Thanks for that. That is why until there was a chemist open we only gave him skimmed milk so that he would not dehydrate.

He is drinking well, taking 10mls every 2 hours and gaining weight at a rate of about 10g a day.

DH is amazing. He is up with him 3 times a night to feed, burp, and toilet him.........thank goodness we have the siesta hours and he can catch up.

Mum is definitely our neighbours cat. She has been missing for a few days and appeared again yesterday. She is pathetically thin but has milk. We took her into Spirit to see if she would feed him but she rejected him totally. Poor mite cried for her. I read on Google that poorly cared for or wild cats often reject their kittens as they can not support them and survivie themselves.

Ours neighbours have a strange attitude to the cat. We feed it, if we didn't it would have to live exclusively on wild life, which I am sure it could do but it is so cruel. She is about 4 years old now and we have seen her pregnant before but never seen any kittens. We think they drown them. We like to think she brought this one to us as she knew we would care for it. They are well off people and could easily afford to have her spade.

He has a home for life now if we manage to rear him and I think we will.

Sue you're a star! Well done and lots mroe photos please xx

I promise more photos later in the week. He is getting stronger by the day and we have had to put him in a higher sider box as he was climbing out of the pretty wicker basket..........little monkey !!!

If as we suspect he is now about 5 or 6 days old, he should have his eyes opened by next week.

WATCH THIS SPOT !!!
th_spirit290610003.jpg

My former (French) neighbours had the same attitude to their cat. She wasn't malnourished though, as it was a farm and plenty of wildlife to catch and eat. She kept on having kittens and brought them to us (suckers!) so we rehomed them with members of the ex-pat community (also suckers!). One lot of kittens were born on our bed! After kittens numbers 17 & 18 were born, we said enough is enough and sneaked her out and got her spayed. We kept the last 2 kittens and when we moved house, we took them & their mum with us! Mum has since died, but the youngsters are still with us.

Good luck with your little fighter!

He has gone 3 hours between feeds. I now remember what baby days were like. The relief of getting a few hours sleep this afternoon was sooooo good. I hope he goes as long between feeds tonight.

So glad the little'un is fighting on, what a sweety! Well done again to you guys for giving him a fighting chance x

Only up twice in the night. He is growing and I swear he is purring now !!!

He IS purring.

We are a bit worried as he has to be on his own for 8 hours tomorrow as we are both out. Hope he will be o.k.

I am going to weigh him in a short while and take some more photo's.

Back