Consolidation The not so very secret diary of Atropos, 11 &1/2

You made me laugh out loud! I remember having a wobbly bottom lip the first time I tried the old galette, and I couldn't believe that I'd have to eat that disgusting thing every day! Fortunately my OH took pity on me, made me another, and we've not looked back since discovering muffins :)

I'm still not a great galette maker - no patience you see... I always poke and prod!

Cold but happy - I don't mind the frost because it's dry and I can put my toes on the fender of a brisk little fire.

I didn't sleep up there - I stayed with my sister to babysit my nibblets (ie, 2 nieclets and 1 nephlets) and teach her to sew lined curtains.

But, oh, it is bliss. Once I'm up there I never want to leave.

Sounds great is it far from where you live normally? I fancy getting away somewhere, was thinking of booking something for after goal date :) I don't trust myself before then xx

Sounds great is it far from where you live normally? I fancy getting away somewhere, was thinking of booking something for after goal date :) I don't trust myself before then xx

It's a 11 hour round trip, but most of it by train, so I just snuggle in with a book and a cup of tea, and the time usually flies past.

I'm having to come out of cruise.

It's the combination of 14 hour days (I'm juggling two jobs and one big project) and a week traveling alone across central Europe in sub-zero weather by sleeper train. There are only so many bags of biltong, cherry tomatoes and muffins I can carry!

So it's conso as far as possible - at least I won't have scales to worry about any looming gains until it's all over.

Sorry to hear that Atropos, but at the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you and your mental health, sounds very busy for you at the mo - better to get it all out of the way and rid yourself of the extra hassles while it's a bit nutty

hope you keep posting though xxx

A very wise decision methinks Atropos... you handled Conso brilliantly the last time so there's no reason you won't this. Keep in touch so that us never travellers can at least keep track of your journey :)

I still feel awful about this - at least, I can tell myself I jumped rather than fell!

But something had to give, with long days, short nights, iron-hard deadlines looming, and no clean clothes left to pack.

Cooking and shopping (neither of which I'll be able to do when travelling anyway) are the only thing that I can jetison right now, and in weather this cold I have to take the hot food thats on offer, rather than hope that something Dukan friendly might crop in the next street/station/city/country.

I'll try to make good choices (no hot chocolate!) and get as much sleep as I can.

Two days to finish the presentation, 2 days to clear my desk at work, two days to get ready to travel.

(Still at work now, but finding it hard to concentrate - can I risk finishing now and hope I can get it done first thing tomorrow instead)

You've made a tough but wise decision, having seen the forecasts in central/eastern europe over the past few days I think it's wise to take on hot food wherever and whenever you can get it.

wrap up warm xxx

How exciting though! You're setting out on a real adventure! I'm rather fascinated by weather extremes so I for one will be waiting eagerly for updates from you ;)

Take care and we'll miss you!

Still on this side of the channel and looking for a nice wooly hat for the trip.

Worked 15 hours straight through yesterday.

The bad news is that I feel genuinely wrecked - you can't spend that amount of time working at that high a pitch without physical impacts.

The good news is that I hit the deadline and posted off the work at 8.30 this morning. I might just get to bed before 9.30 tonight, via a warm bath and and a hot meal.

The strange news is that the cold weather and exhaustions is making me crave - protein!

I haven't once wanted potatoes, pasta, bread, chocolate - I really just want meaty stews, eggs and salmon. And lots and lots of hot soup.

I'm looking forward to a few days of shopping, sleeping and packing before I catch the train.

And thank heavens I'm not venturing further than East Germany / Polish border! People are freezing to death in the street in Ukraine and Serbia!

I hear you on the craving stew, and meaty soups and the like.

Good luck with that early night. I left my previous job due to hours, when you're buying underwear as youve no time for laundry and youve forgotten what your kitchen looks like its a total killer.

Hope things are calmer after your trip.

Good luck with that early night. I left my previous job due to hours, when you're buying underwear as youve no time for laundry and youve forgotten what your kitchen looks like its a total killer.

Ha ha! How about recycling undies because you've no time to buy (almost that bad this week).

I hear you on the hours - I quit a big corporate role because my basic working week was already at 50 hours, week in-week out before they started adding on out-of-hour conf calls and travel to US for summits.

The final straw was a compulsory "reward" of a sports-day in the park which meant I had to go back to office at 10pm to finish my compulsory daily work load.

This job isn't so bad - it's just bad bad timing that huge projects are coming through the door just as I hit a big deadline on the thing that I'm writing for someone else.

Sorry - this is turning into a ramble....

Often I count my blessings when I arrive in the morning and meet people who've been here all night, and aren't yet ready to leave! OK I have a "job", and they have a "career", but I far prefer my life!

I've just looked ahead a week and we're having minus 10/11 in the city most mornings right through to next week... worse where my house is. But the sky is blue, the sun is out, and I think it's great!

Jo - I hear you on the difference between a job and a career!

Things are getting a bit saner here - and early night last night and a quiet day at work today (at last).

And I met my deadline - so huge sighs of relief all round.

Worrying signs of physical toll - headache, weeping eyes, itchy nose - so I am trying to boost my immune system as much as I can before I have to start travelling. And the best way to do that is to head home, cook something simple and head to bed.

Similar temps here, but no blue sky and strong wind with it - boo. Today was miserable while I was outside (to bring youngest to and from school mainly, but also to get water, go to the loo, wash dishes etc) and I reckon wind chill made it feel Arctic-like. I remember being at my parents for Christmas one year when it was -20°. The sky was blue and no wind and we did manage long walks outside(diesel froze in the car though!) but this is nothing like it, feels much colder. Horrible. Feel like hibernating until it's over and can't stop thinking about those who live on the streets and those who can't afford to heat their homes:(.

Safe trip, Atropos - stay warm and eat well while you're away.

Crap. The Moronic-Neighbours just cranked up the amplifier.

I have some of your neighbour's relatives living above me - was having to listen to their music at 2a.m. a couple of nights ago which I didn't find amusing as I was exhausted. Are you feeling a little rested? Hope so.

Back