Consolidation The not so very secret diary of Atropos, 11 &1/2

I read that children exude more bugs when ill than adults do, presumably to help them throw off the illness.

They certainly exude more fluids than adults - in fact, what seems like at least three times their body weight in mucous and slime.

Part angel, part troll, part slug.

A friend of mine used to refer to them as "postulants to the human race"!

pustulent pestilential postulants!

Off to buy picnic foods for the train tonight - I'm off to visit Dad for Dad's day type activities (in this case, car boot sales, driving around looking at castles, more car boot sales)

Sounds good to me!

I too love car boot sales (or vide grenier, as they're called here)! I laughed at your description of your family member's "Dukan diet". Sometimes I find it difficult to recognise the diet myself from some menus we see here ;)

I love car boot sales as well - my dad side of the family is part Romany, and a fair number of our family throwbacks either trade horses or china/furniture.

My dad is reverting to type in old age, and has started trading china (as his dad and grandma and great-granddad did).

Alas - some of the essential skills seem to have a skipped a generation, and he has a tendency to walk past the real treasures and bring home shiny tat instead.

But it's a great way to spend a summer afternoon (unless it rains).

I too love car boot sales (or vide grenier, as they're called here)! I laughed at your description of your family member's "Dukan diet". Sometimes I find it difficult to recognise the diet myself from some menus we see here ;)

Not 'marche aux puces'? That's what we called them at home - and 'Flohmarkt' in Germany. Suppose 'vide grenier' is less shabby ;-)

I grew up with them & love a good rummage, but now my other half is not so keen so we don't go often. Maybe I should go off by myself! Anyone what to join me?

I do love flea-markets and car-boots - I must have the gene as well - but I've learned not to bring stuff home unless I really really need it - there is no room left!

Bless me Dad's wife - I am greeted at 10pm, after a 4 hour train ride, with a plate of steak and asparagus "In case you're peckish"

OK - lunch proved a bit more a problem.

My dad took me to his local health club for a treat - a lovely long swim followed by lunch in the club dining room.

But checking the menu (and remember - this is a health club) it proved to be:

Roast Pork with Stuffing and Roast Potatoes.
Meatballs and Pasta
Goat's cheese tart

Deserts were
Icecream
or Cake.

Ok - lets skip lunch, get a coffee, then go home to eat there.

So the coffee arrived - with a big bowl of sugar.
I asked if they had sweetener (not for the coffee - I confess I just wanted to squirrel away a couple of packets for later).

Um - no - no sweetener - oh wait, hmm - behind the bar, in a handbag - a tiny dispenser of tablets.

It was funny rather than annoying - but what an extraordinary disconnect between the idea of a gym and the reality.

We went home and had omelette instead.

Atropos - so, if I'm reading you correctly, your lunch out with your father didn't happen? What a shame! Our local health club does at least have a carvery, even if there are still plenty of non Dukan friendly things on it!

As for hospitals, ugh. I've never eaten so well (errr badly!!) as when I was eating each day in a hospital canteen while my Mum was ill. Suited my then bad tastes down to the ground!! I'm also amazed at how many staff members in uniform you see outside hospitals smoking... (do they think the smell doesn't then follow them inside on their clothes, hair, skin while they treat the sick? I s'pose I'd not have thought of that either while a heavy smoker!!)

No - no lunch. i didn't want to use up a Gala on a lunch at a venue that had already made me cross :p

We had a nice swim and then visited a farmer's market for veg and fruit instead. Much nicer.

Back in the big bad city, and it's reassuring to have access to my own fridge and shops within walking distance, just in case.

Conso still seems to be on track, more or less.
The real danger is that slightly more freedom lead one into sharper dilemmas. When to play the "Gala card" for example - on saturday night I had a dukan friendly plate of grilled chicken and veggies - but I could have taken a spoonful of potatoes and called it a Gala (I didn't).

Back in the big bad city, and it's reassuring to have access to my own fridge and shops within walking distance, just in case.

Conso still seems to be on track, more or less.
The real danger is that slightly more freedom lead one into sharper dilemmas. When to play the "Gala card" for example - on saturday night I had a dukan friendly plate of grilled chicken and veggies - but I could have taken a spoonful of potatoes and called it a Gala (I didn't).

I see what you say about Conso. I'm afraid that there is only one way around it - PLAN AHEAD and stick with it. If you're not planning your meals, then possibly plan which day is going to be gala and which PV+carbs. If I know of social occasions coming up I obviously arrange my week accordingly...

Also the bread and cheese - if for example you know that you'll want to sprinkle some cheese on your Pasta dish in the evenings (PV+carbs day), then remember not to have it at lunchtime (in sandwiches or quiche for example)

Personally I planned all days down to the last details (how sad), whilst of course maintaining the freedom of having any other Dukan friendly foods as before.

Now I still stick to it, not so rigidly planned but in my head I still need to manage to count to 1 :rolleyes: where bread and cheese and fruit is concerned (fruit is harder!). I still plan a week's worth of main meals though.

Atropos - so, if I'm reading you correctly, your lunch out with your father didn't happen? What a shame! Our local health club does at least have a carvery, even if there are still plenty of non Dukan friendly things on it!

As for hospitals, ugh. I've never eaten so well (errr badly!!) as when I was eating each day in a hospital canteen while my Mum was ill. Suited my then bad tastes down to the ground!! I'm also amazed at how many staff members in uniform you see outside hospitals smoking... (do they think the smell doesn't then follow them inside on their clothes, hair, skin while they treat the sick? I s'pose I'd not have thought of that either while a heavy smoker!!)

When I had my spinal surgery I always remember my consultant (not originally from this country) telling me about a surgeon colleague who had a meeting every lunchtime with 'Mr King'. My surgeon was horrified when he spotted the other guy one lunchtime sat at the hospital branch of Burger King, getting his daily fix:D

Personally I planned all days down to the last details (how sad), whilst of course maintaining the freedom of having any other Dukan friendly foods as before.

Oh, I'm the exact opposite; no planning at all (beyond fishing the protein from the freezer in the morning!

But it works really well for me because a.) most of the time I live alone and b.) I can take advantage of the very freshest veg or fish in the market, or discounted chicken and beef in Waitrose on the way home.

It only breaks down when I am at the mercy of other people's eating and shopping habits - ie, time with family. No amount of forward planning helps.
I travel with oatbran, yogurt, splenda, biltong, crisp bread etc, and then adapt what is on offer - and use as much will power as I can muster to say no to wine/potatoes/trifle etc.

(It's not really as chaotic as it sounds - I always make sure I have yogurt, eggs, bran, cheese cut into daily portions, herbs etc, in the larder, and at least one portion of protein defrosting or marinading before I leave for work.)

But the rest is all improvisation! I know it wouldn't suit everyone...

The scales dropped this morning - before my pp day, so it's probably a real drop.

Not planned, but so much more welcome than a blip upwards.

On reflection - and after the angst of the first few weeks, I'm not finding conso difficult at all. It's become the new normal.

Typical day:

BB - Pancake with fruit, or Omelette with half my cheese, or bread/crispbread and cheese

L - Chicken/prawns/tuna or cottage cheese with salad

S - Chicken, burgers, steak, eggs, or mince with veggies, or a sandwich with salad and cheese, icecream and or fruit

Snacks: yogurt, or cold chicken, or dukan biscuits

Some of the excitement in trying out new Dukan recipes has gone - but so far I have not felt any need to eat extra carbs at all.

I am surprised that I have no desire to go back to picking up sandwiches at pret, or the home-made cakes at the coffee bar. No desire to eat chips with a gala meal. (I did, once, 4 weeks ago - and it was nice, but not earth-shattering, and I realise now how disappointing chips can actually be).

I suppose it helps that it's summer - I may find the desire for pies and potatoes kicks in the autumn.

In other news - my naughty little sister (the one with the 5 kilo bag of oatbran and a killer hangover) called to announce that she had lost 14lbs so far.

Go, go baby sis!

Back