The really slow loss team!

Annya how do you work out your BMR? I worked out recently to maintain I need around 1800cals a day so to lose 1lb I'd obviously reduce it by 500 a day. Is that what you mean?

I am 37 at the moment I weigh just under 12st according to my scales and not SW.

Weight loss resources says I need to eat 1250 cals a day to lose 500g a week which is about 1lb. I do exercise and eat some of those calories as well. Last week I think I averaged just under 1300 cals a day. I did post the exercise cal breakdown a few days ago.

MFP (very like WLR) reckons 1200, but most nutritionalists agree this is far too low to be sustainable in the longer term unless you are still significantly overweight, and by that they mean obese, and you are not. OK, so as long as your goal weight is still 150lbs (10st 10lbs) your BMR is 1513. I would try upping your cals to at least 1300 + eat at least half of your exercise calories - try it for a couple of weeks and see 1) if you feel better and 2) if you still continue to lose weight. I think you might be plesantly surprised, but do give a chance for your body to adjust then crank it up or down as you see the results.

I have now set my goal to 1/2 pound a week and I am alloted 1450 cals/day, but I am losing more than 1/2 a pound on these calories and aim to eat at least half of my exercise calories back as well - TBH sometimes I can't eat as much as they say I should - must try adding in nuts and stuff as I love them but they used to be a non-no for me!

Leap of faith though, so it is entirely up to you.........................

I've just been on that site. It worked out my BMR is 1543, but it said as I am active I should eat 2193 a day to LOSE, that can't be right?!

Thanks for that I probably burn around 600 to 800 cals a week in exercise so that would mean average out to about 1350 a day ?

Thanks for that I probably burn around 600 to 800 cals a week in exercise so that would mean average out to about 1350 a day ?

Sounds about right Latte...............

Thanks I am on a train so was worried I had worked it all out wrong. X

I've just been on that site. It worked out my BMR is 1543, but it said as I am active I should eat 2193 a day to LOSE, that can't be right?!

Yes, It reckons I should eat around 1918 - 2162 at a light to moderately active level. F2F encourages folks to eat like the thin person you want to become, but I am not convinced which is why I don't follow their recommendations! It also says "If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point".

The operative word here is EVENTUALLY - in other words it will take you a long time to reach goal if you eat as your thin counterpart would. I don't know about you, but I don't want to get to target "eventually" I want to get there reasonably quickly so I eat at around my BMR not my TDEE (which is the higher figure you are looking at) - I can think about eating 1918-2162 when I get to target, but frankly with my age, slow metabolism, the menopause and long-term steroids I can't see it happening!

I have a Fitbit which pretty accurately measures my BMR and activity levels and on an average day I burn in the region of 1700-1900 calories and on an active day around 2000-2300 so that is what I will be looking at for maintainence calories once I get to target.

Oh thats all confused me a bit, which isn't hard to be honest! I've found recently I'm tracking my calories but not calorie counting, I'm doing SW but just wanted to keep an eye on how many cals I'm taking. I've cut back on eggs & carbs & seem to be eating around 1000 a day so having to eat a little more in the evening to keep that over 1200. Do you think thats ok? I just haven't been as hungry & obviously don't want to make myself eat if I'm not hungry...

Oh thats all confused me a bit, which isn't hard to be honest! I've found recently I'm tracking my calories but not calorie counting, I'm doing SW but just wanted to keep an eye on how many cals I'm taking. I've cut back on eggs & carbs & seem to be eating around 1000 a day so having to eat a little more in the evening to keep that over 1200. Do you think thats ok? I just haven't been as hungry & obviously don't want to make myself eat if I'm not hungry...

Well most nutritionalists agree if you go below 1200 you start to risk losing lean body mass and eating into muscle which is not what we want - we want to build lean body mass and muscle coz they convert calories faster than fat :D. They only recommend VLCD for folks who are very obese where the risk of their obesity outwieghs the risk of losing some lean and muscle mass. 1200 worked fine for me for a few months, but then I plateaued and I had to up my calories a bit to kick start my losses again - I know if sounds "wrong" but it has worked amazingly well. I was basically not eating enough for the amount of calories I was burning so my body started to hang on to the fat "just in case"!

I get days where I am not really that hungry and don't eat that much and days where I am ravenous and stuff my face all day - so I just eat according to my appetite and don't force myself to eat just for the sake of it. I have days where I have been over 1200 net and days where I have been under 1200 net this week, but I averaged out which is all that matters. My calories for the last 7 days have been 1602, 1435, 1743, 1453, 1358, 1605, 1401 before exercise; but I don't exercise every day and don't count Lily's daily jaunt to the forest as exercise as I always do that. As you can see, they have been very variable, with even a quite few high days, but I am still losing weight so that is fine.

Like you, I try not to get too focussed on the numbers. I have had several episodes of EDs during my life and I don't ever want to fall in that black hole again - I may well not be strong enough to pull myself out this time. One of the reasons I gave my scales to my neighbour is that I was starting to weigh every day, sometimes more than once a day, and analyse every little up and down and got a bit fixated which was worrying. My lovely, long suffering, husband says I am a much nicer person now they are not in the house :) Sometimes you don't realise how much your behaviour affects others and I feel quite guilty now as I realise I was getting moody, irritable and defensive too - the downward spiral had started.........:(

If you really aren't hungry, don't feel you have to force food down your neck - just keep an eye on your trends - I tend to look at things weekly rather than daily now.

i have 1200 most days, but if i fancy soething i have it like today ive had 1600 cos i wanted some wine in light of recent events, tomorrow im fully expecting to have over 2000, and thats ok cos i know that next week ill just stick to 1200-1400 and it sort of evens out and i know i can still lose doing that...this week i didnt lose much but i had 3 heavy social do;s that 2 of them i had 2000 calks and friday i had a botlle of wine, so whatever im doing is working cos im losing, but its taken a long time to get here. the biggest difference for me was getting out of the mind set of not freely snacking, if i want a snack i plan it. sounds really boring but i dont trust myself otherwise. im getting worried about my obsessive weighing so have moved my scales out the bathroom. i like to weigh naked so i put them in the kitvhen,where my blinds are always up so its more faffing to get on them...hoping this deters me a bit. im hoping to go til monday hahahaha

Well most nutritionalists agree if you go below 1200 you start to risk losing lean body mass and eating into muscle which is not what we want - we want to build lean body mass and muscle coz they convert calories faster than fat :D. They only recommend VLCD for folks who are very obese where the risk of their obesity outwieghs the risk of losing some lean and muscle mass. 1200 worked fine for me for a few months, but then I plateaued and I had to up my calories a bit to kick start my losses again - I know if sounds "wrong" but it has worked amazingly well. I was basically not eating enough for the amount of calories I was burning so my body started to hang on to the fat "just in case"!

I get days where I am not really that hungry and don't eat that much and days where I am ravenous and stuff my face all day - so I just eat according to my appetite and don't force myself to eat just for the sake of it. I have days where I have been over 1200 net and days where I have been under 1200 net this week, but I averaged out which is all that matters. My calories for the last 7 days have been 1602, 1435, 1743, 1453, 1358, 1605, 1401 before exercise; but I don't exercise every day and don't count Lily's daily jaunt to the forest as exercise as I always do that. As you can see, they have been very variable, with even a quite few high days, but I am still losing weight so that is fine.

Like you, I try not to get too focussed on the numbers. I have had several episodes of EDs during my life and I don't ever want to fall in that black hole again - I may well not be strong enough to pull myself out this time. One of the reasons I gave my scales to my neighbour is that I was starting to weigh every day, sometimes more than once a day, and analyse every little up and down and got a bit fixated which was worrying. My lovely, long suffering, husband says I am a much nicer person now they are not in the house :) Sometimes you don't realise how much your behaviour affects others and I feel quite guilty now as I realise I was getting moody, irritable and defensive too - the downward spiral had started.........:(

If you really aren't hungry, don't feel you have to force food down your neck - just keep an eye on your trends - I tend to look at things weekly rather than daily now.

I can totally relate to that Annya! I got into some dark times 5 years ago, its hard trying not to analyse things too much, especially when the wight doesn't come off steadily. Is all about finding balance, which takes time. I've looked through my cals for a few days last week, they were 1324, 1717, 1546,1241. I think I must be like you & eat according to how I feel. I just don't want to focus on numbers so much that I make myself not eat if I do need to-just to keep numbers down. I'm sure them going up & down is good for your metabolism so it doesn't become complacent. I used to weigh everyday but I'd go to work in tears or in a bad mood & I hated it. Only in the last few months I've stuck to weighing once a week, wow it makes a difference to your mood! Isn't it weird the things we do to ourselves knowing its of no benefit to us, mentally & emotionally :(

Hi,all
Today I am the big 50 ;-) and failed in reaching my interim target,so back on it ,well giving ww ago for a week before my hols B-)
Have had a lovely day and the sun is shining B-)
Ann xxxx

Hi,all
Today I am the big 50 ;-) and failed in reaching my interim target,so back on it ,well giving ww ago for a week before my hols B-)
Have had a lovely day and the sun is shining B-)
Ann xxxx

:birthday: :bday: :candle1: :bday: :candle1: :birthday:

Have a fantastic day Ann and get back on it tomorrow. Good luck with your Weight Watchers "sampler" :D

Hope you've had a nice day Ann! How far are you from your interim target? Maybe WW will give you a little kick start before you go away x

Well I've just made my curry. I used BNS, onion, tomatoes & chickpeas. I've never made a big dish with BNS & chickpeas. I didn't have a recipe so decided to wing it & make it up as I went along. The sauce is tasty & I added fromage frais at the end to make it creamy. It's so good :) I'm loving trying new things.

Evening all - I'm here, and I shouldn't be, as I have to be up and out in less than 8 hours and I only got 4 hours sleep last night. :cry:
Sorry to mention it, but it was too blumin hot !

Lou - sorry about your little chica. keep us all posted.
Annya - yippee to getting below pre-hols weight in just 2 weeks.
Ann - happy 50th! You've a few to go to catch me up!
Latte - hope you're having a great weekend.
Lisa - your food is sounding really scrummy!
Charl - sorry about the STS but at least it wasn't a gain. Just stick with it hun

Lots of great advice re cals and exercise etc going on here so deffo stick to whatever plan you are on and the weight will go. It has to!

Right, I'm off to bed, see you soon peeps.

Thank you , Lisa I ended up 7lbs from my interim target, but doing the "old" ww for a week ,just for a change really.

Thank you , Lisa I ended up 7lbs from my interim target, but doing the "old" ww for a week ,just for a change really.

Sometimes changes are needed aren't they. I hope you lose that little bit before your holiday :)

Back