The really slow loss team!

this was the problem i had last night, my friends were doing a lasagna....which i had no control over, i was so concerned over eating it i didnt control my drink...derrrr, i had a small portion of lasagna and budgetted for it in the day, and had a big salad with it, but ruined myself by having 3 glasses of wine and tiramisu...wasnt happy with myself this morning. i think when its out of your control it definitely is hard, but i dont think theres any harm in asking if you can maybe take a part in cooking, or bring some low syn foods with you 'to help out' but really its helping yourself, or simply having smaller portions. just dont do what i did and go mad on wine, my resolve upped and left and thats when i had tiramisu..i dont even like puddings ffs, whats that all about?

I'm lucky in that I rarely drink alcohol so I never have to worry about going nuts on drink. I get really nervous if I'm invited for dinner as the first thing I think is "what if its not SW friendly?" & chances are it wont be. The thing is SW is about lifestyle so it can fit into everyday, everywhere, you're not meant to think "og I can't go anywhere because I'm watching what I'm eating". If I go somewhere I'll always say I'm veggie (obviously!) & usually drop in sw HOPING they may cook a healthy dish :) I'm not a pudding person either Lou but sometimes when youe guard goes down a tiny bit the word "no" doesn't get used when the scrummy puddings are offered. Usuauly if I go for a pudding I'll regret it later, small portions can be so filling & seriously calorific. Bah!

Yes she is providing the food and she has done food shopping already plus we are apparently going to a 40th party on Saturday night which means I don't think we will eat before we go out.

She has never had to worry about her weight at all so I don't want to make her feel bad by making demands especially as she knows I don't eat meat and she has gone out of her way to get veggie stuff.

I am calorie counting using weight loss resources. Last week I have an allowance of 1251 a day and I ate 9617 but I earnt 860 exercise calories so it netted down to 9131 which averages out at 1305 a day

Would you feel ok asking her what veggie stuff she's bought for you? Maybe you can look some recipes up & whip yourself up something before the 40th party. Its bound to be buffet there & they can be so bad. I'm sure she won't mind you eating before you go, especially if she's bought food for you. Don't feel like you're being a pain. If you'd rather eat well you're best seeing what she's got & seeing what you can make with it, other wise a few days after you may regret what you had to eat. Plus if you do that you'll still feel in control even away from home :)

latte why wont you eat before you go out? can you not just say you have to eat before you go out? and why would you make her feel bad? your actually saving her feelings against honouring your own hun, by not mentioning your current eating plan to save her feelings you are jeapordising your own feelings! you are going to be eating high calorie foods to not make her feel bad when ultimately it will make you feel worse for eating them..

Last edited:
I am probably over thinking it and I bet everything will be fine. We have been friends since high school so 25/26 years ish my maths is really bad lol !

I will stop worrying and just take it as it comes I have already told her that I only really eat fruit for breakfast and I won't need anything the Friday night as I will eat dinner before my three hour train journey and I will take some fruit and alpen bars with me.

She is just so excited as it is also her birthday weekend. We were meant to be shopping on Saturday kid free but her husband is a police officer and he has been called in so her two kids will also be dragged along

This is the first time in three years I have felt well enough to make the train trip by myself so I am not going to let food get in my way !

Lisa - Yay chica. Well done - get on that naughty step and party!

Yay! Good news Lisa, Well deserved. Xx

Thanks Pom & Charl :) I've felt so chuffed all day. Its amazing how little losses can really make your day :)

Latte - 1/2 a pound is 1/2 a pound. It's still a loss so don't berate yourself too much.

Now about this weekend.
I agree with what lots of others have said. Ask can you help out in the kitchen and make sure you make the best choices you can.
It will mean lots of will power to avoid the sugary, fatty things - but you can do this.

However . . . ******** long and rambling post warning ********************
I am going to disagree with Lou slightly - she's learning too much from the Tough Love Thread ! :8855:

There are times in our lives when the occasional, sensible splurge is good for your soul!
Notice the words occasional and sensible though.
Don't go beserk and totally off track - that is just sabotage.

Lou - you used to be splurger par excellence - every weekend!! Ok you've reined it in recently but you splurged last night didn't you?

There is actually a very well researched scientific article about the long term effects of food deprivation and dieting on the body.
Your body gets used to it and the weight loss slows down, or stops completely. Ever heard of a plateau?
What the article says is that the occasional day away where you have extra calories can actually be good for your body.
It wakes it up and kicks it back into action - and you can show a good loss the week after.

Obviously having loads of cakes and chocolate and pizza or McDonalds and 2 bottles of wine is not the thing to do.
But a sensible break for 1 day with a few extra calories and a few treats is certainly good for the soul.
The trick is not letting your eating continue like this - you have to get right back on plan straight away.

That's why you'll see lots of comments like "mix it up a bit" on many of the SW threads.
By changing your diet you can give you body a KICK into losing again.

I have to say that I've done this throughout my almost 6 years on SW. And I haven't done too badly.
I love chinese food - so about once a month we go out for my treat.
But I don't drink alcohol with chinese food - just have green tea - and I'm sensible with what I chose off the buffet.
I have a few norty starters but then griddled giant prawns and plain noodles.
But it makes me feel good and that the diet isn't ruling me and getting in the way of having a life.

I'm having a little wobble at the moment . . . the last few days I've been craving the old sugary fatty foods again.
And she asked "Did you ever have times like this?"

Here's my response

I "have times like that" all the time.
I HATE with a vengeance the people that say "Oh, SW has completely put me off sugary and fatty foods"

I WISH ********************
I still love a good plate of fish and chips, and even though I'm not a chocky eater there are times when I could murder for a bar of Galaxy :(

BUT . . .

I now just get my fat photo out, compare it to my slim(mer) one in a swimsuit in public for the first time in 10 years and go and grab a yoghurt instead!

Be strong chica. Just work out why you are losing weight and keep reminding yourself of what you want to achieve.
DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF - You'll get there

Yes - there are times when a bit of Tough Love is necessary. We've all been given it and all doled it out on here on occassions.

But there are times too when "a little bit of what you fancy does you good" - but note the LITTLE BIT.

Latte - enjoy your weekend with you old schoolfriend, and as you said this is the first time in three years you've felt well enough to make the train trip by yourself. So definitely do not let food get in your way ! Just be as sensible as you can, get back on track on Monday and you may not even have a gain!

Last edited:
Pommette said:
Latte - 1/2 a pound is 1/2 a pound. It's still a loss so don't berate yourself too much.

Now about this weekend.
I agree with what lots of others have said. Ask can you help out in the kitchen and make sure you make the best choices you can.
It will mean lots of will power to avoid the sugary, fatty things - but you can do this.

However . . . ******** long and rambling post warning ********************
I am going to disagree with Lou slightly - she's learning too much from the Tough Love Thread ! :8855:

There are times in our lives when the occasional, sensible splurge is good for your soul!
Notice the words occasional and sensible though.
Don't go beserk and totally off track - that is just sabotage.

Lou - you used to be splurger par excellence - every weekend!! Ok you've reined it in recently but you splurged last night didn't you?

There is actually a very well researched scientific article about the long term effects of food deprivation and dieting on the body.
Your body gets used to it and the weight loss slows down, or stops completely. Ever heard of a plateau?
What the article says is that the occasional day away where you have extra calories can actually be good for your body.
It wakes it up and kicks it back into action - and you can show a good loss the week after.

Obviously having loads of cakes and chocolate and pizza or McDonalds and 2 bottles of wine is not the thing to do.
But a sensible break for 1 day with a few extra calories and a few treats is certainly good for the soul.
The trick is not letting your eating continue like this - you have to get right back on plan straight away.

That's why you'll see lots of comments like "mix it up a bit" on many of the SW threads.
By changing your diet you can give you body a KICK into losing again.

I have to say that I've done this throughout my almost 6 years on SW. And I haven't done too badly.
I love chinese food - so about once a month we go out for my treat.
But I don't drink alcohol with chinese food - just have green tea - and I'm sensible with what I chose off the buffet.
I have a few norty starters but then griddled giant prawns and plain noodles.
But it makes me feel good and that the diet isn't ruling me and getting in the way of having a life.

I'm having a little wobble at the moment . . . the last few days I've been craving the old sugary fatty foods again.
And she asked "Did you ever have times like this?"

Here's my response

I "have times like that" all the time.
I HATE with a vengeance the people that say "Oh, SW has completely put me off sugary and fatty foods"

I WISH ********************
I still love a good plate of fish and chips, and even though I'm not a chocky eater there are times when I could murder for a bar of Galaxy :(

BUT . . .

I now just get my fat photo out, compare it to my slim(mer) one in a swimsuit in public for the first time in 10 years and go and grab a yoghurt instead!

Be strong chica. Just work out why you are losing weight and keep reminding yourself of what you want to achieve.
DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF - You'll get there

Yes - there are times when a bit of Tough Love is necessary. We've all been given it and all doled it out on here on occassions.

But there are times too when "a little bit of what you fancy does you good" - but note the LITTLE BIT.

Latte - enjoy your weekend with you old schoolfriend, and as you said this is the first time in three years you've felt well enough to make the train trip by yourself. So definitely do not let food get in your way ! Just be as sensible as you can, get back on track on Monday and you may not even have a gain!

You get me wrong I didn't say don't splurge, I said that if you do and you can live with perhaps getting a gain then that's fine, we're all adults we can make choices of what to eat but those choices all have consequences and it's something that has to be dealt with. I had a small splurge last night and regretted it which is why I posted what I did. It's about choice and we all have choices, but you have to be able to accept the consequences of your choices. If you splurge it will mean a sts or a gain and that's ok if the person is ok with it but if they're not ok wih Seeing a gain or sts then it's not the right thing to do.

I am probably over thinking it and I bet everything will be fine. We have been friends since high school so 25/26 years ish my maths is really bad lol !

I will stop worrying and just take it as it comes I have already told her that I only really eat fruit for breakfast and I won't need anything the Friday night as I will eat dinner before my three hour train journey and I will take some fruit and alpen bars with me.

She is just so excited as it is also her birthday weekend. We were meant to be shopping on Saturday kid free but her husband is a police officer and he has been called in so her two kids will also be dragged along

This is the first time in three years I have felt well enough to make the train trip by myself so I am not going to let food get in my way !

Good on you Latte :) Just go away and enjoy some time with your friend............... life is too short to worry about every last morsel that passes our lips. Whatever happens, you will have had a wonderful time with people who care about and love you and felt a sense of liberation and confidence you haven't had for 3 years - so if the scales have tipped a bit by Monday does it REALLY matter that much?

Hi ya'all, been a while - catching up with Lou on the TL thread today alright. Just on the egg thing if you like them and they're handy for you go for just the whites they're about 12 calories a pop and generally taste pretty good with other stuff. Hope you've all been well anyway and gaining health (I'm on a crusade to ban the term weight loss :) )

. . . Hope you've all been well anyway and gaining health (I'm on a crusade to ban the term weight loss :) )
:8855:
Why? What's wrong with the term weight loss?
'Cos that's primarily what we're all trying to do. Being members of Minis, a weight loss forum, is a bit of a give away :D
Yes, we'll hopefully get healthier along the way but I certainly know that my main objective was to lose the flab.

Sorry - I'm obviously in an argumentative mood today. :cry:

Well the thing is Pom why would you put alllll your effort into loosing something when infact what your really trying to do is gain something else - health, fitness, sexiness, energy, well being, long life......
The more you concentrate on the benifits of what your doing the more likely you are to succeed - cause its easy to want extra things not so easy to want less things. It makes sense to me anyway!
I like getting extra :)

:8855:
Why? What's wrong with the term weight loss?
'Cos that's primarily what we're all trying to do. Being members of Minis, a weight loss forum, is a bit of a give away :D
Yes, we'll hopefully get healthier along the way but I certainly know that my main objective was to lose the flab.

Sorry - I'm obviously in an argumentative mood today. :cry:

I totally agree with Pom on the little bit does you good thing. I like having good regular losses, but I don't want to become someone who obsesses over everything I eat or drink, it might take me longer to get to my goal, but I'm the same my old housemate is staying with me this weekend who now lives in Singapore and we only see each other about once a year. I'm not going to count my alcohol, it's a time for just doing what I want, I'm going out for dinner 1 day and making us a SW Spanish feast one night, to try and balance it a little, it's def not a time for being strict, but as soon as she leaves I'll go straight back to plan rather than my old trick of 'oooh I've been bad for 2 days I'll start again Monday' just to break that habit is a massive achievement for me. And I think it's truly about balance and learning how not to only lose weight but regulate it. I've def learnt from this I can have 1 or 2 days a week off plan (not going crazy and eating like a load of pizza and maccyd's but eat out and make good choices and have a good ol drink) and I now know how to balance it the other 5/6 days to have a STS and for a week that's ok. I can't actually wait to see her, it's going to be awesome. Hope you've all had a good day xx

Well the thing is Pom why would you put alllll your effort into loosing something when infact what your really trying to do is gain something else - health, fitness, sexiness, energy, well being, long life......
The more you concentrate on the benifits of what your doing the more likely you are to succeed - cause its easy to want extra things not so easy to want less things. It makes sense to me anyway!

This reminds me of an advert I saw last night, it may have been for Special K. It was "what will you gain when you lose?". All about gaining confidence, better health, energy etc when you lose the lb's. It was a nice way of thinking about it, although like Pom I want to the lose weight just because I want to lose the weight, not for any other reason. But the extras are good perks :)

Weird you should mention that apparently I read on yahoo that Kellogg's are getting done for that advert for misleading consumers, as it's saying all these things you could get from eating their cereal and it's just a load of crap really x

Weird you should mention that apparently I read on yahoo that Kellogg's are getting done for that advert for misleading consumers, as it's saying all these things you could get from eating their cereal and it's just a load of crap really x

I read that too but I think it's about their other advert that shows the bowl of cereal as it states there's X amount of calories in it but it was wrong as the bowl was huge & full which led people to believe they could eat three times the amount! Losing weight is obviously good overall with tons of health benefits. But that won't come just from eating a cereal twice a day, the amount of sugar in special k is so bad!

This reminds me of an advert I saw last night, it may have been for Special K. It was "what will you gain when you lose?". All about gaining confidence, better health, energy etc when you lose the lb's. It was a nice way of thinking about it, although like Pom I want to the lose weight just because I want to lose the weight, not for any other reason. But the extras are good perks :)

The driver for me wanting to lose the weight was because of my dreaded fat photo.
To be frank, I cried buckets when I saw it because I looked so gross - and when I thought how good I used to look in my 20's I just knew that I had to lose weight. At that point, the rest just didn't enter my head when I started out dieting in August 2006.

The fact that it would help my arthritis and I'd be healthier was an extra.
The arthritis improved in leaps and bounds the more weight I lost so it became a catch 22. Carry on losing and hopefully the arthritis would continue to improve. It will never go away (it will probably get worse the older I get) - and even with just over 4½ st gone I still have problems. I can't walk that far - or else the next day I can't walk at all as my knee siezes up. And I can do very little other weight bearing exercise as it just makes it worse, even swimming makes it bad if I do breaststroke which is my favourite stroke, so I'm actually not much fitter.
As for more confidence - well the folks on here will probably agree that's something I've never lacked in! :8855:
As for being sexier . . . hmmm I'll have to think about that one! Perhaps you need to ask my hubby :D

But yes, I do like the extra perks and I would never decry them.

Last edited:
The driver for me wanting to lose the weight was because of my dreaded fat photo.

OMG - the fat photo! One day I will get brave enough to post my fat photo - it is stuck on my fridge door now to remind me of what happens if I open it too often! I cried too when I saw that photo - then cried even more when Al said he didn't think I looked that bad!

Back