The Things People Say?

lol no problem Eire and good catch ! :) grrr @ spammers.

Please add to if you think of any:-

It's easy, eat less exercise more.

It's basic arithmetic use more calories than you eat you're bound to lose weight.

At least fat people are always happy.

You must be really greedy to get that big!

that saying bugs me so much, usually the ones who say that eat barley nothing are like stickinsects, and over exercise! i may do alot of exercise, but i at least eat enough to be still healthy!

that saying bugs me so much, usually the ones who say that eat barley nothing are like stickinsects, and over exercise! i may do alot of exercise, but i at least eat enough to be still healthy!

None of my business but isn't your goal BMI in the unhealthy underweight range?

None of my business but isn't your goal BMI in the unhealthy underweight range?

my weight has gone up, but increased due to gaining ALOT of muscle!
though the machine at the gym states in underweight apparently, im far from it! (after ive gained 6lbs too)

I just hate how skinny people dont have to plan their meals or worry about going to the cinema incase it throws them off their diets! It would b nice to live life without fretting about food!

I just hate how skinny people dont have to plan their meals or worry about going to the cinema incase it throws them off their diets! It would b nice to live life without fretting about food!

I think its more a case that slim people are careful with the majority of their food so that they can have treats now and then without seeming to fret about food!

Before the summer I would sometimes go out for coffee with friends etc and if I couldn't choose which cake I fancied, I might have 2 or I might go without! Either way, in the context of my overall diet and lifestyle, it made no difference. I never craved anything, because if I wanted it I'd have a bit. Food was a low priority for me, it still is really (I just didn't cut my intake when I cut my exercise, d'oh!), its never a reward for anything, or something I deserve, its just fuel.

Yeah mudbabe, thats how it should be. Eat to live and not live to eat n all. Startin to get into that way of thinkin tho! Slowly but surely lol.

A particular favourite of mine is 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'... willpower for you right there! I would rather enjoy my food...

A particular favourite of mine is 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'... willpower for you right there! I would rather enjoy my food...

I think a healthy balance between the 2 personally. I could survive healthily on a few veggies and pulses etc but I want to enjoy my food including the little indulgences...thats living!

Portion control, low calorie, portion control, fat free, portion control and then CHOCOLATE! Yeah!:D

Re: What skinny people say?

I love this thread! :)

I was friends with a girl at school and she was always a size 8-10, whilst I was always a size 14-16. She sent me a message on facebook recently saying "hi Colette, just thought I'd tell you I'm a size 14 now, thought that would be music to your ears seeing as I was always a skinny minnie at school!" Now, I know she meant well but actually I was quite offended by this! It just came across as if I don't have to worry about being fat now coz she isn't. It also sort of implied I was jealous (which I suppose I was at the time but sure I was never vocal about it!)

Totally agree with slim people moaning they're fat. I have a friend who is 5ft 7in, size 8 and really pretty, not an ounce of spare fat anywhere, and she totally obsesses with her weight, complaining she's obese! Once she complained how fat she looked in a photo I'd just taken of her next to another of our friends, who is a size 18. That was an awkward moment for all involved.

In a similar vein though, what about the excuses people who are really overweight make for themselves? I'm treading carefully here because I don't mean any offence, I've made some of these excuses myself, but you know the sort - I can't lose weight, I've got an underactive thyroid, I'm just big boned, it's in my genes etc. Probably a result of denial?

My favourite is a colleauge of mine who did WW with me once. We both ate the same lunch, agreed to eat the same dinners (roughly) and went to meetings together. She said that WW didn't work. She was gaining. She was 'eating more than she usually eats' which is her explanation for gaining. She was actually just flat out lying. I eventually lost 50lbs and she gained 10lbs.

She later went on to get some kind of lap band surgery. Also, that 'didn't work' and now she's kind of more than she ever was.

WW works. If you are honest and eat what you are supposed to. If you eat that plus a takeaway a night---well, it's your fault, not WW fault!

My skinny colleagues at work today: I'm trying to lose weight for Christmas so I won't have CREAM (FULL FAT) on my cheesecake. *sigh* and people wonder why I find it hard to work where I do!

I laughed at some of these because it's sad yet funny some of the rediculously insensitive things people can come up with to say! I'm so happy there are a lot of supportive people in the world to counteract all of that!

I think the classic one to hear is of course people who are obviously thinner than you moaning about how fat they are... a few times I've told these people "You realize I am bigger than you so everytime you call yourself fat you're pretty much saying 'GROSS you're so obese!'"
And they'll say soemthing like "no of course not you're perfect!" HUH???
Or one time i saw someone after a long time and I had obviously gained weight, and she says "wow, did you lose weight? You look like you have?".. haha.. yes yes of course that's why I'm wearing a size bigger pants...

Slightly off topic but another grievance:- when well meaning friends who are fatter than me and not losing weight tell me that what I am doing and how I am doing it is all wrong - and then proceed to tell me what to eat and when to eat in order to lose weight - completely ignoring the fact that I am actually in the process of losing weight successfully and healthily the way I am doing it!

Re: What skinny people say?

I know! They think they are all experts!

Glad I am not the only one experiencing these things. One thing that gets me, a friend of mine keeps saying "you were never that big in the first place. I can tell you have lost a bit of weight, but you don't look much different". I know she is just trying to be nice, but I was 6st heavier, I have worked REALLY hard to get rid of that, and for her to say I don't look much different makes me REALLY paranoid that I don't, and that I still need to lose loads. Even though I know I don't as I am a healthy weight now.

Just maybe that person who is complaining about feeling/being big (when you don't think they are) may actually believe that and not just be fishing for compliments. A lot of people tend to judge themselves more harshly than they judge others - everyone has their own demons and hang-ups.

Who is to say our demons affect us more that someone is a few dress sizes smaller than us? Someone who is a "plus" size may actually be more comfortable in their skin than a so-called "normal" sized person

xxx

Just maybe that person who is complaining about feeling/being big (when you don't think they are) may actually believe that and not just be fishing for compliments. A lot of people tend to judge themselves more harshly than they judge others - everyone has their own demons and hang-ups.

Who is to say our demons affect us more that someone is a few dress sizes smaller than us? Someone who is a "plus" size may actually be more comfortable in their skin than a so-called "normal" sized person

xxx

I definitely agree with this in principle. However :) my friend who complains she's obese is clearly not - she's a size 8 and goes to a fitness class every day of the week, sometimes evenings two classes back to back - and she doesn't act a lot like someone who is ashamed of how they look.. crop tops and tiny short strapless minidresses etc. I'm not quite sure what goes on in her head!

I definitely agree with this in principle. However :) my friend who complains she's obese is clearly not - she's a size 8 and goes to a fitness class every day of the week, sometimes evenings two classes back to back - and she doesn't act a lot like someone who is ashamed of how they look.. crop tops and tiny short strapless minidresses etc. I'm not quite sure what goes on in her head!

There's always an exception to the rule ;)

xx

xxx

I think there is a very big difference in attitude between someone who actually thinks they are "fat/overweight" or are not very comfortable in their skin and people who just say it to get attention...
In general (and of course there are always the exceptions) I have found that people who are genuinely not comfortable in their skin or find themselves overweight etc don't tend to go around "advertising it" (i.e: "omg look how fat I am")
And I've also noticed that for the people going around saying they are fat when they are clearly not, most of them if you actually tell them they are fat will get upset and say they're not fat at all...
At least so far that's been my experience....
If you really think you're fat, you usually don't think there's a need to go around telling the world about it, because in your mind (whether it's true or not) everyone can tell, there's no need to advertize.
But of course there are always exceptions etc etc...

Back