The Things People Say?

I love this thread! I have heard so many of these before - the one that annoys me the most is definitely the skinny friend saying "Stop losing weight, you'll be far too thin if you lose more" - er, no, I won't, and the BMI charts agree with me!

The last time I lost loads of weight I was a teenager, and I rocked up to a friends house and her mother said to me "oh look, you've lost so much weight... are you going to keep it off?" - not so much an offensive question as a really annoying one, who on earth loses weight and plans to put it back on again?! Then to make matters worse, another friend showed up and said "Oh look how thin you are, you used to be really fat", so I just muttered something about "Oh thanks, and I'm going to ignore the fat comment" and he replied with "No, I really mean it, you weren't just fat, you were FAT, I mean really really really huge". I like to think he meant it as a compliment because he was saying I had lost it all, but the way he kept trying to get his point across did make me want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Good god, what the hell is up with that fella? Did he not get the fact you wanted to ignore that insult?!

If it were me I would have told him in no uncertain terms to shut his face :p

You don't need silly worthless friends like that pet x

My friend and I started our weight loss journey at the same time, although she has stalled and started to put weight back on. She is obsessive about asking when I will 'stop'. I don't want to stop until I'm in the healthy BMI range but she keeps saying 'God if you lose another stone you will be tiny, way too small'. I'm pretty certain she just wants me to plateau so she can catch me up......

jealous jealous jealous! Just you keep going til you are happy. I'll be damned if I'm listening to anyone if they start all that stupid carry on.

I love this thread... Somewhere to vent! I'm 1 lb away from losing 6 stone and a family member whom I hadn't seen for ages obviously noticed that I had lost weight but didn't say anything to me (I'm not fussed, I don't expect people to comment on it) however what they DID say was to my OH... "she's lost loads of weight!"... "She needs to loose a hell of a lot more"...

OH gave them a row but was so mad told me. Some people have no idea when to close their mouths.

Another family member recently decided to ask me questions about my weight loss.. Now I don't mind answering questions but after about an hour you start to feel like its almost an interrogation lol... Especially when the questions range from... What weight are you now? What weight do you want to be? What weight where you? What dress size do you want to be? What dress size are you now? What dress where you? And I'm not even going to go into the even more personal questions I was asked - those were tame compared to some of them!

When I refused to answer the weight and dress size questions I was treated to "What are you like, you are weird!"...

Yeah... Some people don't really know whats acceptable to be asking others.

Yeah...Exactly! It's the way they were looking at me as if to say... How are you even that size in the first place - the questions were definitely angling towards that. Annoying!

.. Not all of us can have the metabolism of a 12 year old, now sod off and eat your chips!!!

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha :D

made me smile

as for myself, my parents were always big and when I was skinny for much of my late teens and 20's they gave me an earfull a lot of the time telling me I was too thin, then I put on loads of weight the first year I met hubby and they both critised me for it....this from 2 people who were at least 4 stone heavier than me!!

the last time I lost lots of weight was 3 years ago & it was always the skinnies that didnt want me to lose any more. I went from 17 to 13.7 only a few months, I lost the last stone more slowly, but the whole time at least a couple of people said I shouldnt lose anymore. I was still in the over weight bmi. I suppose people just get used to you being a certain size and cant get their head around you being smaller.

The thing is, I remember from my 20's being a size12/14 and I would like to get back to that. I wasnt too skinny. I looked fine. So am bracing myself for those kind of comments again. Once I have lost the weight during the summer

Last edited:
A friend of mine who has been supportive over the years of dieting starts and stops has this annoying habit of asking what I weigh now. He knows I weigh in on either a Wed or Thurs and so if he sees me on facebook at the weekend he will ask how much I lost this week. I'll tell him, he will say congrats etc. And then he will always ask what that puts me at on the scale now! I do ignore that bit but he always tries to get it out of me!

Why does he need to know?! And I'm sure he could work it out himself if he wants. I did tell him my starting weight! lol

My pet peve is when you're with friends and they say something like "Let's order pizza!" or make something very unhealthy to eat, or put out crisps, then when you say no thanks they go off on a huff "You're not eating, you need to eat!" and they take the moral high ground and throw nutrition 'facts' at you like "An adult needs 2000 calories a day" like they've just graduated from nutritional school.

No thank you, I just don't want to eat crap! Ahhh I'm on a rant (you can tell this happend to me today) :D

I remember when I was about 12 or something my uncle said I was getting beefy. For the next 2 years I ate vitually nothing as I was that mortified.

Same uncle (i'm 29 now) at my mam's 60th party last year said to his wife whilst looking at me "god she's getting bigger" very loudly as he's deaf. I had also just lost a baby less than a month before so wasn't exactly feeling great. Wonder why I don't go to their house anymore?! I always thought that once I lost weight I would love to see their faces, now I think that they are just such toxic people that I don't want to see them again even when I reach my goal.

I had an aunt like that too. I don't know what they hope to achieve by telling you "You've got porky"
What do they expect you to do? Do a 180 degree turn and go for a jog round the block before sitting back down again?

happyhealthy said:
I had an aunt like that too. I don't know what they hope to achieve by telling you "You've got porky"
What do they expect you to do? Do a 180 degree turn and go for a jog round the block before sitting back down again?

Lol... Funny as ! X

What I find difficult to swallow, is when the nurse at my clinic tells me I should lighter when she herself is twice as big! And she says it with no hint of embarrassment at all. That's just hypocritical in my opinion. Still I suppose it's the same as doctors smoking.....

I think it's worse when the person making the comments is the same size or bigger than you then when a slim person says it, don't know why. It's happend to me a few times in the past too. Also has anyone else noticed that when someone is say just one dress size smaller than you people sometimes make out that they're loads slimmer than you?

Whenever I visit my nan she always goes on about my weight and how much prettier I would be if I was slimmer. She thinks I should be married by now and that if I was slim I'd have men knocking the door down (I know that won't happen I've been a size 10 in the past and still had rubbish luck with men) If we're watching TV and an advert for a diet comes on she suggests I try it, even though I've told her I'm already dieting. Odd thing is that once she asked if I wanted some cake I said "No thanks I'm on a diet" she replied "oh go on its not going to hurt!". To be fair she is 90.

gemmm said:
Whenever I visit my nan she always goes on about my weight and how much prettier I would be if I was slimmer. She thinks I should be married by now and that if I was slim I'd have men knocking the door down (I know that won't happen I've been a size 10 in the past and still had rubbish luck with men) If we're watching TV and an advert for a diet comes on she suggests I try it, even though I've told her I'm already dieting. Odd thing is that once she asked if I wanted some cake I said "No thanks I'm on a diet" she replied "oh go on its not going to hurt!". To be fair she is 90.

Bless... She means well x

awww nans are so cute!

mine keeps trying to feed me up i think! everytime i go round she insists on me eating something, or tries to force her meals on me!

My Nan was terrible. She had got to the age where she could basically say whatever she wanted and get away with it! I remember I went to see her once when I was younger and I had lost a little bit of weight. I felt quite good about myself until she told me 'Blimey, you've gotten heavier haven't you?'. When my Mum said no, I hadn't, she sort of gave me a withering look and said 'Oh!'

I can laugh about it now! ;) The funniest thing is that she was never a slim lady and we had very similar body types!

I'm starting to get the 'don't lose any more, you'll look ill' comments and they really annoy me.
Like, what right does anyone else have to dictate to me what I should weigh?

Also I'm a stone above my highest healthy (BMI) weight so no, I'm not stopping now!

Morrigan said:
My Nan was terrible. She had got to the age where she could basically say whatever she wanted and get away with it! I remember I went to see her once when I was younger and I had lost a little bit of weight. I felt quite good about myself until she told me 'Blimey, you've gotten heavier haven't you?'. When my Mum said no, I hadn't, she sort of gave me a withering look and said 'Oh!'

I can laugh about it now! ;) The funniest thing is that she was never a slim lady and we had very similar body types!

Haha this is actually my gran in law (who I love dearly) to a T!!! she's a total diplomacy free zone!!! and coz I'm the daughter in law I'm the only one who gets to argue back!! Everyone else was broken into submission years ago lol

And in terms of skinny friends I have one who took one look at the 5 stone lighter me and promptly joined the gym muttering about how she wasn't having any of 'this you being skinnier than me malarky'

bless her it was a massive boost as I still have a good 50lbs to shift!!! And she's a tiny 8st soaking wet lol

Scottish Bride said:
I have a friend who is also doing SW she has lost a stone I think and is now 9st 5 or 6 lbs and wants to get to 8st 7lbs anyway I said I wanted to loose 7 stone (ish) before getting married and she said really shocked with me "that is an awful lot of weight to loose do you think you will manage" I must say I was put out by her comments and a little hurt at the lack of support.

But my sister in law did say the other day that she had told her teenage daughter if you want to loose weight it really doesn't matter what you eat as long as you get off your bum and get some exercise I'm sorry but I think it does matter a takeway everyday will undo any amount of exercise you do.
Yes, you are totally right! What you exercise can only speed up the process that starts with healthy eating. It's sad to see that in the 21st century people still have these old fashioned ideas about losing weight!

My skinny cousin keeps on telling me that i have lost too much. But this is what everyone of my family in italy tell me all the time... I think it's because they are used to see me larger. My cousin is a midwife and last time on my wedding she told me that she can't wait for me to be pregnant so i put some flesh on my bones... :-((

Last edited:
congratulations on your wedding kagome75 i knew it was sometime soon and you had gone very quiet:D any pics:)

I was talking to someone at work today and he was discussing healthy eating. He is from Scandanavia and was talking about the difference between lifestyle here and back home. He said that so many British people allow themselves to get big and unhealthy and then mentioned that there were two mutual colleagues in the room who are big. He said it was sad because they are so young and don't keep themselves healthy, like I do.

This is the first time I have ever been in the 'slim group'. I was kind of strange though. I didn't see it as a compliment because I don't know the other girls well and how could he possibly know their situation? I don't know why they are big. For all I know they could be losing weight too! It also made me wonder how many times someone said that about me when I was three stone bigger... A lot I guess!

I am glad I am making the change though!

Back