The two kinds of people who do a VLCD

I've loved reading your posts guys.....I tried all the 'normal' diets, slimming world, ww wtc but this time felt I had to take myself away from food as much as I could (very hard considering I'm a chef) but the strictness is great, I add herbs and spices to my soups and drink my shakes mixed with coffee ( the vanilla flavour). I told everybody at work that I'm on Cambridge, so I know it will be harder for me if I'm tempted to cheat, not that I have tried. And seeing the weight drop off is fab!!! I wish everyone the very best of luck, and many thanks for these wonderful forums because I read them everynight before I go to bed and feel inspired!!! (Am I sad???? Lol) xx

Fantastic post.

I'm of the 'choosing' school of thought which definatley helps when everyone around me is tucking into takeaway.

My mantra now is 'nothing tastes as good and skinny feels' and i'm sure when I get there I'll be on here boring everyone silly with how true that mantra is. Good luck to all on your weightloss journey x

Wow what inspirational words! Whenever people say to me "oh you can't have that can you" I always reply " I can have it if I want to, but I choose not to thank you" This always makes me feel stronger and in control rather than left out.

Brilliant -I have read this from beginning to end and found it so helpful - great mindset to be in (especially the " I can have it if I want to, but I choose not to thank you") I am enjoying Cambridge at the moment, this is my first time on a VLCD so I want to use the momentum to shift as much weight as possible as so many people have said that it is harder to get into if you need to do it again. Here's to all those taking control
*raises bottle of water*
:D

My own GP is of a similar mindset. Before I started my diet I asked him about referral to a weight management clinic: his response was that I should throw away my frying pan. If I'd had it with me, I'd have belted him with it. He was going to give me a "special" diet sheet (downloaded from the internet, no less)

AHAHAHAHAAA! I shouldn't laugh but thats amazing. In a "what a prat" sense amazing. I once had a doc tell me to just 2pull myself together" when suffering from clinical depression.

I also got referred to the practice dietician who told me my eating issues could be solved by "just not doing it". Yeah because if it was that easy I'd need a dietician referral!

Exactly! That is so right! I must remember that! You can see it when you read peoples' posts!

Kat

Hi all, my mindset is different this time, I now know I owe it to myself to lose this weight and be healthy and happy and being on CD is the quickest way it will happen.I cant wait to enjoy buying clothes!!!

Good luck all.

xx

Hi I am Hopetobeslimmer, I went on the CD for a couple of months and lost an initial 2 stone but have been lapsing the last month and have put on 1 stone of that i need to lose a total of 4 stone altogether but i am finding it very hard to stop my self from being so greedy any ideas or just plain old advice to help XXXXXXXX

Very motivational thread. thanks it helps when your feeling a little low

Great post, very true to the point!

Newbie here - hi!

I have been trying to work out why I overeat, and why diets have failed, and I think it is because I feel deprived and I want to rebel when I think I shouldn't do something - I am a bit of a rebel at heart
;-)

But I have begun to realise that it is a choice like any other, and if I chose to eat too much, I have to live with the consequences. I'm pretty tired of being overweight, I want my confidence back. And I am getting married, and I want a dress that I want, not one that pulls me in so I can't breathe......! So I have found this thread helpful, thank you!

So, here we go again. There is only one thing worse than falling off the wagon. Not bothering to get back on it again. Wish me luck....

Great post Mike. Losing weight on CD is the best thing l've done in years. The diet is like anything else, it is what you make of it.
I remember a while back someone saying to me l must have great willpower to stick to it and l replied that l honestly felt willpower was rarely involved as l wanted to lose the weight so much. I felt willpower only comes into it when part of you wants something else and you are fighting against yourself, and that seems like awful hard work. Whereas when you think of your diet as a choice, it's empowering. :)

Whereas when you think of your diet as a choice, it's empowering. :)

Yep. Got it in one. It's similar with maintenance. Willpower is only on short term lease. I found it hopeless when I relied on willpower.

Thanks for that Mike, very very true indeed!
I started v much with a positive mindset, and have steadily lost 3 st in 3 months.. I recently went on holiday, and came back to a loss of 3lb, largely because I had it set in my mind I didnt want to undo all the good I had done...
Positive mindset makes all the difference, and can take a long time to achieve! I struggled with weight watchers for years, but one day woke up and had had enough of being so obese! It took years for me to get to that point, but after that there was no going back, and CD has been great for me.

Great post AlyB. Well done on your weight loss success. :happy096:

This is a great post, Mike. I think everyone has said it all... you have to choose to succeed.

I am shocked and appalled by the attitude of some doctors! you find a diet you want to try and they dont agree! yet they criticise you for being overweight! who do they think they are!!! they should support whatever weight loss efforts their patients are willing to try, and encourage not disapprove!
CD does suffer from critics, its unfortunate as most who have actually done the diet love it and get fantastic results. However the medical profession should look at the facts not the critics.
This diet isnt for everyone, it does require determination and a strong mindset to succeed. The first week is undoubtedly the hardest, but once the first WI results have sunk in it gives such a boost and a greater determination to succeed!

I am shocked and appalled by the attitude of some doctors! you find a diet you want to try and they dont agree! yet they criticise you for being overweight! who do they think they are!!! they should support whatever weight loss efforts their patients are willing to try, and encourage not disapprove!
CD does suffer from critics, its unfortunate as most who have actually done the diet love it and get fantastic results. However the medical profession should look at the facts not the critics.
This diet isnt for everyone, it does require determination and a strong mindset to succeed. The first week is undoubtedly the hardest, but once the first WI results have sunk in it gives such a boost and a greater determination to succeed!

As someone who is really glad to have lost weight thanks to Cambridge Diet, l can see where some doctors' points of view come from though, based on their medical experience. I've to have surgery to remove my gallbladder (going into hospital for the op tomorrow). Spoke to the surgeon today and he is the third doctor in recent weeks who has linked gallstones/gallbladder problems with rapid weight loss diets. The surgeon's words were "such diets can precipitate the problem", ie cause to happen suddenly. He also mentioned that poor diet/being overweight can cause gallstones too. In the longterm being a reasonable weight for your height lessens your chances of serious health problems in future.

Last edited:
Good Luck DisneyParis --

I hope that everything goes well with your operation tomorrow. I have heard that there might be a link with extreme diets, but I thought that was usually ones that were very high protein like Adkins.

MM

Back