The Wedding Dress Thread

Not only do I love this dress but I have been looking at the rest of the collection. There are some amazing dresses there and my best friend who is getting married later on this year is going to take a look so thank you for this xx

My friends dress was out of that collection too so she doesnt have that bad taste ;)

Hope she finds an amazing dress

x

mrstore said:
All your dresses are fab!!!! I think I'll be waiting a while before I'm stepping into one, even though we're engaged we just don't have the money to actually be able to get married :(

My daughter is in the same position as you:-( wish I could win the lottery!!

All your dresses are fab!!!! I think I'll be waiting a while before I'm stepping into one, even though we're engaged we just don't have the money to actually be able to get married :(

you don't need a huge amount of money to get married. a wedding isn't just about the party, dress, cake and having loads of people scarfing booze and food you've paid for, it's about BEING MARRIED TO THE PERSON YOU LOVE. you could marry cheaply, then have a massive "renewal" at a later date.

ok the party can be fun, but it's not essential.

Flibsey said:
you don't need a huge amount of money to get married. a wedding isn't just about the party, dress, cake and having loads of people scarfing booze and food you've paid for, it's about BEING MARRIED TO THE PERSON YOU LOVE. you could marry cheaply, then have a massive "renewal" at a later date.

ok the party can be fun, but it's not essential.

Couldn't agree more Flibsey.

I agree too Flibs. I could spend as much money as I wanted on my wedding day but we've decided on a maximum of £4000 because we just don't see the point in spending more. A party is more important to me than a sit down meal, so we saved £55 per head for 180 guests only feeding them a buffet!! We don't stand to ceremony in my family! I'd rather spend that money on an epic honeymoon.

Admittedly, my dress is pretty pricey but that's because my Mum is paying for it and "pushed" for a "proper" dress. She never had one and says she has always regretted it. The dress I wanted had I been buying it myself was £200- 1340 sarin trim short wedding dresses tea length below knees 1950s 60s 50s 1960s | eBay

that is a lovely dress.

my family were just annoyed I chose not to marry in my family's traditional register office in nottingham. I couldn't justify it. my husband's family were all down here, as were all of our friends and my nuclear family. if we had married in the traditional reg office, we'd have only been doing it to appease/make it convenient for 4 people as opposed to the other 26 who live down here in Essex lol.

most people have a traditional family church. mum's family dont lol. jim's dad would have rather we married in their local church that jim and his brothers were christened in, but we both said no.

JezVonSavage said:
I agree too Flibs. I could spend as much money as I wanted on my wedding day but we've decided on a maximum of £4000 because we just don't see the point in spending more. A party is more important to me than a sit down meal, so we saved £55 per head for 180 guests only feeding them a buffet!! We don't stand to ceremony in my family! I'd rather spend that money on an epic honeymoon.

Admittedly, my dress is pretty pricey but that's because my Mum is paying for it and "pushed" for a "proper" dress. She never had one and says she has always regretted it. The dress I wanted had I been buying it myself was £200- 1340 sarin trim short wedding dresses tea length below knees 1950s 60s 50s 1960s | eBay

I kinda get where your mum is coming from. Because i got married abroad I really didn't think I'd wear a 'proper' dress. I had a gorgeous azure dress from coast picked out, but couldn't fit into the biggest size it came in, so after days of going round department stores saying to my friend 'this would do I suppose' she physically dragged me to a wedding dress shop & wouldn't let me leave til I'd tried some on. It was the best thing she ever did. Even though it caused a bit of hassle with the OH who had not planned on me in a proper dress (& therefore him in a proper suit). I never did get him to wear a tie, but he still looked gorgeous :)

My Mum had been with my Dad for 10 years when they got married so it was a quickie thing. She was super stylish was my Mother and she thought all wedding dresses were naff, so she wore a two piece outfit (in white) which was so eighties-tastic it's like a fancy dress costume!! She looked fab, but she says when she looks back that she felt like she didn't take it seriously iykwim.

I'm glad that she has pushed me into getting a "proper" one tbh, it's not that I didn't want one, just that I couldn't afford one! I

I want to join but I'm not getting married :'(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Doesn't matter Bev!! I'm sure you've thought about what you might wear :)

Errrm no I hadn't though me and Sam both have dreamt that we've married each other which is a little bizarre coz he had the dream first!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Loving this thread :)
All the pics are gorgeous.
I got married on a very tight budget but thanks to many wonderful friends and family I had the full works.
Church free
Church flowers free
Church choir free
Bouquets,button holes,bridesmaids hoops,wedding cake all made by my sis
Video and photography done by brother in law
All dresses made by my mum
Cars from my uncle
Reception in my mothers garden with buffet done by her and my sis.
Splendid day ending with a night in a honeymoon suite in a local hotel.

Just on the subject of bridesmaids my sis got married 6 years ago and had 18 bridesmaids it was very traumatic lol

My cousin had a small ceremony in a reigistry office for only her parents, siblings and same on his side. We then all met up in a hotel for drinks for a few hours and went to my aunts and got fish and chips after while the bride and groom went out for a meal alone. It was so relaxed and a great atmosphere. The day was about getting married and not about the wedding day itself.

Back