The Wedding Dress Thread

Loving this thread ladies! We get married on 29/09/12 and most things are sorted! xxx

Heres my wedding dress,bit outdated now,well it was 25 yrs ago!! Still got it,doesn' t fit:-/

ForumRunner_20120212_081820.jpg

HelsAngel said:
Ooh, ooh a wedding thread. I'm getting married in October. Proposed to in December and within 2 weeks, we'd booked and chosen almost everything. Only things left to do are bridesmaids, cake and cars. Best quote we've had on cars so far has been £650 for a Mercedes and a people carrier. I mean, REALLY??? It's a 5 mile trip.

Any tips on cost effective transport gratefully received. We don't know anyone who can do it for us :(

I'd be tempted to hire a posh car from a car rental place for the day & get a mate to drive it for you - failing that - a taxi. £650 is a proper mental price to pay. I'd get the bus before i forked out that kind of cash.

kingleds said:
I'd be tempted to hire a posh car from a car rental place for the day & get a mate to drive it for you - failing that - a taxi. £650 is a proper mental price to pay. I'd get the bus before i forked out that kind of cash.

We've had a quote of £350 and I think that's too expensive! I said I'd happily get a taxi! ....... Cue look of horror on my mums face! :D

kingleds said:

OH has got his best man to book a Porsche for a test drive! He's going to drive them to the venue, take a few photos, then after the ceremony take it straight back, the Porsche place is only down the road to the venue.

I think it's all bit nuts, but 10 out of 10 for ingenuity! I never thought of it!

I had a Daimler for me and my hubby which was a convertible and two rolls royce for my eight bridesmaids. Cost us £600 for all the cars but they did more than one trip as the rolls picked my mum nanna and godmother up before coming for the bridesmaids and the other picked up hubby and mates. Did the same from the church to the venue which was 16 mile round trip so I thought that was pretty cheap!

Hayley- I love your dress by the way!!

I was looking at Flower Girl dresses yesterday in John Lewis. None of them were white- only ivory or cream. This poses a problem as my dress is white and I wanted them to match me. Do I have my dress changed to ivory?? TBH I hadn't quite realised how white white is, if that makes sense?

I don't think it's outdated either Acc, in fact I think it's very current- similar shape to Kate Middletons.

Thank you ladies,wish I had the figure to fit in to it! It' a Pronuptua dress,had to have made longer,5'10 lol,daughter used the veil for he communion,bringing bacjj lots of memories,the day goes do quick,and you have jaw ache from all the smiles:) :-D

I was reading that one way to keep the cost of the cars down is to contact any local classic car clubs, and see if anyone is willing to help out. We've been quoted about £550 for a 7 seater Daimler and a 4 seater one too (I think). They will be doing about 15 miles in total each - I need to get me a Daimler and some ribbon and carve out a job!

Tinytootz said:
I was reading that one way to keep the cost of the cars down is to contact any local classic car clubs, and see if anyone is willing to help out. We've been quoted about £550 for a 7 seater Daimler and a 4 seater one too (I think). They will be doing about 15 miles in total each - I need to get me a Daimler and some ribbon and carve out a job!

Lol the guys who did my cars are selling one of their Daimlers ;)

acc said:
Thank you ladies,wish I had the figure to fit in to it! It' a Pronuptua dress,had to have made longer,5'10 lol,daughter used the veil for he communion,bringing bacjj lots of memories,the day goes do quick,and you have jaw ache from all the smiles:) :-D

Your dress is quite similar to my mums, her dress is a 14 but the measurements are actually a modern day size 10! Hers is made entirely out of Windsor lace or something its beautiful though just like yours

X x x

Miss Slinky- I've only just seen your photos- did you have enough bridesmaids???

Haha, I thought I was going overboard with 7...that's made me feel better!

JezVonSavage said:
Miss Slinky- I've only just seen your photos- did you have enough bridesmaids???

Haha, I thought I was going overboard with 7...that's made me feel better!

Lol but I needed 8! Haha it was hard to pick because I had my sister and hubbys sister. My 4 best friends from childhood and then my 2 best friends from uni. Lol my hubby had 4 groomsmen/ushers plus the best man to compensate!

X x x

I've got Best friend, older cousin (who is like a sister), another friend who I didn't really want but she insisted she'd pay for herself so meh, her daughter, OH's sister who I'm pretty close to and 2 nieces. I'm a bit confused as to what to put friends daughter in- the older BM's are wearing Vivien of Holloway and the younger girls are wearing proper flower girl dresses, yet the daughter will be 11 and won't look right in either :confused:

I originally wanted my girls in calf length dresses with net underskirts that were halterneck but after trying them on they really didn't suit some of them lol.

It's really hard when you have different age groups to consider - maybe you can find something that is halfway between the two?

X x x

All your dresses are fab!!!! I think I'll be waiting a while before I'm stepping into one, even though we're engaged we just don't have the money to actually be able to get married :(

Back