The Wedding Dress Thread

Should I be offended nobody commented on mine? Lol ;-)

Speaking of rude staff - I went in a bridal shop when looking and the staff member came over and said "I'm not sure we do your size"!!! Evil cow - we obviously went elsewhere. I was an 18 at the time! Not exactly massive in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I love this thread. I had to check it out after wedding photos started appearing in people diaries!

I love all of them :)

Here's my dress:

You look lovely. I love the sleeves and the veil and your flowers too :D

I think this thread has been posted on so often recently it's easy to miss one or two :)

lsf666 said:
You look lovely :)

Thank you x

lsf666 said:

Speaking of rude staff - I went in a bridal shop when looking and the staff member came over and said "I'm not sure we do your size"!!! Evil cow - we obviously went elsewhere. I was an 18 at the time! Not exactly massive in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure I saw that someone commented on yours and I did on your thread rather than on here.. I think I did! You look great and as for the women saying that about your size that's terrible, glad you took your business elsewhere x

I hate rude and insensitive people they should be put in a cage and poked with sticks, thank god I wasn't getting my dress from there because if she had said anything about my weight I would have strangled her with the measuring tape!

X x x

I love this thread. I had to check it out after wedding photos started appearing in people diaries!

I love all of them :)

Here's my dress:

Shoot! I posted on your dress, it must have gotten lost in cyber space!

I love it especially the way it 'puddles' (love that word!)

MissSlinky2011 said:
Mind you didn't know it was mainly a gypsy dress shop till the show so that probably had something to do with that aswell.

It's not mainly a gypsy dress shop, most of her work is for the non gypsy community. She only takes one gypsy order at a time, whereas she'll take 10+ "normal" orders a week.

And I have to be honest, she's never been rude to me or any of the people i've gone to the shop with. She's very straight, I get that some people don't like that, personally i've never been offended. When all is said and done, the woman is raking it in. She's being paid to make a dress not to be polite and she doesn't have to beg anyone for work. So if people don't like her they don't give her any custom, but there is a 4 month waiting list for an appointment so it's not like she's losing out because of her attitude.

JezVonSavage said:
It's not mainly a gypsy dress shop, most of her work is for the non gypsy community. She only takes one gypsy order at a time, whereas she'll take 10+ "normal" orders a week.

And I have to be honest, she's never been rude to me or any of the people i've gone to the shop with. She's very straight, I get that some people don't like that, personally i've never been offended. When all is said and done, the woman is raking it in. She's being paid to make a dress not to be polite and she doesn't have to beg anyone for work. So if people don't like her they don't give her any custom, but there is a 4 month waiting list for an appointment so it's not like she's losing out because of her attitude.

Well she had no waiting list when I was there and I certainly didn't give her any custom!

We had a lovely local lady make the dresses for us and I personally don't think it costs anyone to be polite when your providing a service and expect to receive payment!

P.s it comes across as mainly a gypsy dress shop in the show hence my assumption plus when I walked past for three years you only ever saw the same huge dress in the window.

Last edited:
Maybe she simply didn't want your custom? I should imagine making dresses is quite a personal thing, after all they're your creations! I make stuff, (knitting, crochet, cards, scrapbooks, notebooks, etc) but certainly wouldn't make things for certain friends though I love them dearly!
Your creations are like your babies, you wouldn't entrust just anyone with them IYSWIM?

I couldn't care less shirleen if someone can be so rude to you then I wouldn't want that person to taint my wedding if you know what I mean I'm glad she was rude so her and her dresses weren't part of my life.

I know jez doesn't agree with me and we've obviously had very different experiences but I'm equally as entitled to have my opinion on the shop and to share my experience just as she is.

Shirleen said:
Maybe she simply didn't want your custom? I should imagine making dresses is quite a personal thing, after all they're your creations! I make stuff, (knitting, crochet, cards, scrapbooks, notebooks, etc) but certainly wouldn't make things for certain friends though I love them dearly!
Your creations are like your babies, you wouldn't entrust just anyone with them IYSWIM?

And you make it sound like I'm not good enough for a custom dress!

It's nice to know I'm just an anyone ;) lol

To be honest, I'm not disagreeing with you I just think you read her character wrong. To me, she's just Scouse. I'm yet to discuss my wedding with a person who hasn't brought up the weight of me or my bridesmaids...it's standard.

Still, you didn't like her so you didn't buy from her. That's great, that's what I would do if I didn't like someone too. But I do like her and i've already commissioned my dress and paid a small fortune for it, so i'm not going to change my mind. That's it, we don't have to go round in circles about how nice she is!

JezVonSavage said:
To be honest, I'm not disagreeing with you I just think you read her character wrong. To me, she's just Scouse. I'm yet to discuss my wedding with a person who hasn't brought up the weight of me or my bridesmaids...it's standard.

Still, you didn't like her so you didn't buy from her. That's great, that's what I would do if I didn't like someone too. But I do like her and i've already commissioned my dress and paid a small fortune for it, so i'm not going to change my mind. That's it, we don't have to go round in circles about how nice she is!

Really, they were the only people who mentioned size afterall it was my wedding my hubby loves me a size 16 what business is it of anyone else!

And I was never trying to get you to change your mind hun like I said this is a dress thread I was sharing my experience of what happened with them and someone else shared an experience of having a sales assistant being rude to them surely thats the point of the forum to share experiences or did I miss the memo?

I couldn't care less who anyone on here buys there dress from as they are happy with them but your making me feel like I'm not alloud to have an opinion. I do and I'm entitled to share it which I have done!

And I lived in Liverpool for 5 years and never had a scouse person treat me like that other than her!

just joined this website and also just started slimming world diet. not going to meetings but sticking to it like crazy as i too am getting married in aug this year. i feel sick at the thought of walking down the isle and just not feeling happy with myself so i have about 6 months to sort it out! dresses on here are stunning! cant wait to have mine but first fitting not until june so im hoping to have a good weight loss by then. xx

Chipmunk89 said:
You look lovely. I love the sleeves and the veil and your flowers too :D

I think this thread has been posted on so often recently it's easy to miss one or two :)

HPSaucy said:
Thank you x

I'm sure I saw that someone commented on yours and I did on your thread rather than on here.. I think I did! You look great and as for the women saying that about your size that's terrible, glad you took your business elsewhere x
You did Helen x

I was only being silly I know this thread moves fast!

MissSlinky2011 said:
I hate rude and insensitive people they should be put in a cage and poked with sticks, thank god I wasn't getting my dress from there because if she had said anything about my weight I would have strangled her with the measuring tape!

X x x
Lol! That made me laugh. What still makes me laugh us that shop went out of business soon after my visit!!! :-D

Shirleen said:
Shoot! I posted on your dress, it must have gotten lost in cyber space!

I love it especially the way it 'puddles' (love that word!)
Thanks x Puddles - love it too :)

What's people's thoughts on the bridesmaids dresses? Being that I am going to be one later this year want to look bloody lovely too but you know how it goes, can't upstage the bride :D Not that I would (she is athletic, 5 ft 10, part Danish with long blonde hair and blue eyes - we call her the Amazonian god!) but just don't know what the 'rules' are xx

Could be... No one commented on mine either! Still, I think I look fab in it!

I am surprised that some people found dress shop staff rude. The shops I went into had lovely staff. That said, I did call ahead to every one and check that they would have something for me to try on in a 24. I would have been mortified to go somewhere and be told I was too fat to even try anything on.

Last edited:
What's people's thoughts on the bridesmaids dresses? Being that I am going to be one later this year want to look bloody lovely too but you know how it goes, can't upstage the bride :D Not that I would (she is athletic, 5 ft 10, part Danish with long blonde hair and blue eyes - we call her the Amazonian god!) but just don't know what the 'rules' are xx

I have been a bridesmaid twice and each time the bride has suggested dresses she liked, the bridesmaids suggested ones we liked too and a decision was made from there. The first time I was the only adult bridesmaid for my sister and she was very keen that I had a dress I liked and felt comfortable in so choosing was pretty easy.the second time I was one of 4 bridesmaids, the only fat one and when the wedding was being planned I was very very pregnant. We had dresses from the debut range at debenhams and I ended up desperately calling round stores to find one in a size 22 that I just had to hope I fitted in after the baby was born. Luckily it did.

I think ultimately though that you have to go along with what the bride wants. I was a bit more strict with my own bridesmaids as I let one sister help me look and then told the rest what we had decided. It was slightly tricky though as I needed to find a dress that would look as good on a size 12 as on a size 26 and everything in between, plus we needed to budget as I had 6 bridesmaids (lots of sisters and a niece).

I don't think there are rules as such for being a bridesmaid other than trying on everything even if you don't like it!

Problem with being a bridesmaid isn't always so much the style as the colours! Often Brides choose their colour and that's it, cue red-headed girls in clashing pink, olive skinned in lilac etc.
I think most colours will suit IF in the right tone, so a pale lilac dress may look hideous on someone, yet a deeper tone of the same colour will look stunning, and vice versa.

Mind you a Bo Peep dress looks vile in all colours!

Back