Thinking of giving up :(

trying_healthy

I made a good start to my weight loss and got down to around 12 stone fairly quickly. My next short term goal was to get below 12 stone because i havent been that light in years. For over 2 weeks ive been trying to get under 12 stone now and the scales just wont shift, its so frustrating. No matter how hard i try it seems my body refuses to let me go below 12 stone so i may as well give up

hi there
i understand how u feel as i am in the same boat as well. so close to wanting to give up but when i read success stories and see the before and after pics, it gives me hope.
i am not an expert on CC i am afraid so can not offer much helpful advice (SORRY), only that i understand how u feel.

Oh I had this on my last attempt at weight loss, but mine happened at 15stone. I gave up too :( I do hope you manage to ride it out and keep going till you are happy with your weight.

Have you reassessed your BMR and calorie requirements lately?

Yeah i calculated my bmr recently and im sticking to my diet, every day i always have a 1000 calorie deficit. The minimum excercise i have every day is an hour of walking because that is how long it takes to get to and from college. Then sometimes i go for a walk or jog in the evening. This sort of diet/activity seems to work wonders for others but it seems it is having no affect on me anymore :(

I've been doing quite a lot of reading on lots of diets over the past few weeks and the one thing I keep coming across is to mix it all up when you have a static period. You're getting close, its going to become harder and your body knows how to hold on to everything as it comes close. Apparently its something to do with glycogen/muscles which control metabolism. What I have read seems to make sense so will try it when I start slowing down.

Up your calories for 2-3 days. about 50% higher than you would need for maintenance. Low fat, medium protein, high carb but avoid "dirty" foods. Brown rice, sweet potatoes are recommended, anything that will get your glucose levels raised. Apparently you will see a gain for a few days but your metabolism is kick started and you should start losing at a steady rate again.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading on lots of diets over the past few weeks and the one thing I keep coming across is to mix it all up when you have a static period. You're getting close, its going to become harder and your body knows how to hold on to everything as it comes close. Apparently its something to do with glycogen/muscles which control metabolism. What I have read seems to make sense so will try it when I start slowing down.

Up your calories for 2-3 days. about 50% higher than you would need for maintenance. Low fat, medium protein, high carb but avoid "dirty" foods. Brown rice, sweet potatoes are recommended, anything that will get your glucose levels raised. Apparently you will see a gain for a few days but your metabolism is kick started and you should start losing at a steady rate again.

That sounds like it makes sense, thanks so much for the advice. Would you by any chance have a link to a website for more info on this/recommended foods etc? Thanks

I can't find the original article I read but have found this... Bodybuilding.com - The Power Of A Refeed And Leptin! - Shannon Clark. I know its bodybuilders but its what they do to stay fat free, the article explains how the glycogen works on the muscles. I will keep looking for the original, it was a weight loss forum with refeeding advice for low calorie dieters but for the life of me I cannot think how I got there and unfortunately I have my cookies set to delete each day. But like you said it does seem to make sense

EDITED to say...Just thought I should add that this is not the same refeeding as what is done at the end of low cal or TFR diets. This is a kickstart when weight loss stalls on low calorie diets

Not had any luck locating the original article yet. Will keep looking but google refeeding and glycogen and have a read

Last edited:
Awww no hun don't give up! Please don't! You've done so well losing that 10lbs and you don't want to give up now - we all have the frustrating periods of time where we seem to stay at the same weight for a while - I have had that several times but even though I'm not losing I can still see a change to my body shape so I'm still toning. Then I'll lose again which is great.

You can't expect instant and magic results - and I am saying that very nicely to you so I hope you know what I mean - you have to work hard, and I know you will have been doing just that - but you've only given yourself two weeks hun, thats not long enough to give yourself before giving up!! You've got to stick at it, if you gave up now you'd only kick yourself later on for giving up so quickly.

What you need is perhaps a little bit of rejuvenation - get yourself out and do something you love - its amazing how it can change your mood and determination. Also remember that us girls have the water retention and monthly changes in our bodies which also contributes to weighing more too so don't be too hard on yourself.

Do keep us updated on how you're feeling and I hope to see you in here again full of determination and newly inspired! Keep your chin up hun! :) XXX

Don't give up, chicky.
Have you tried to shock your system by taking fewer calorie. I know its sounds insane but what about a week of 800 calories. Just for one week. Top your body up with 4 pints of water everyday too.

I BET YOU you will find you have a loss.

150 cals for breaky - muller light yog and 1 apple
250 cals for lunch - a sandwich from boots or home made
310 for tea - heinz weight watchers curry and rice
90 cals for snack - little chocky bicky

are small examples.

Only do it for one week to give your body a bit of a shock from hyour usual calorie intake.
If you drink water throughout the day, constantly, you will never feel hungry. Its achievable

Hi everyone thanks so much for the support and advice. One thing i think i should point out that might surprise a lot of you is that im actually a guy, haha.

Also i think i may have found one of the main reasons ive stopped losing weight. I Tend to skip breakfast most mornings and dont eat till around 12-1. After reading a lot online ive found out that this really slows down your metabolism so im going to start eating breakfast at 9 every morning and hoepfully the weight will start to come off again. Anyone have any information about how relevant breakfast is to weight loss? thanks again.

hi there. good to hear that you've decided not to give up! imagine how bad you will feel if you start to put back on? that in itself is a motivation to even stay the way you are,nt undo any of the good work you've already done, and hope to lose a bit more in time.

i have read in some people's success stories that when they get to where you are they change tack, do a different kind of eating plan, and that kick starts them losing again, perhaps that would work for you?

i read that zig zagging your cals helps to, so if you are on 1500 a day have , 1200 one day 1800 the next, 1000 the next etc . number of cals to have is just an example there is a site called shape fit that if you put your stats in it will zigzag the cals amount for the week for you.There was a post about it but i can't find it. will keep looking

About a week ago i started running every night, my usual weigh in is a saturday but i decided to weight myself today to see my progress. It says ive gained about 4 pounds (mechanical scales) Very close to giving up now. :(

Running will fill your muscles with water, its normal but will show a disheartening gain. Its NOT a fat gain...honest.

Before I start really exercising( if I ever can to any extent) I will get a full body composition so if i show a gain I can go check again to see what sort it is.

Please don't give up, its muscle gain, more muscle means faster metabolism. A muscle gain will lead to better fat loss, treat this gain as a good one

Running will fill your muscles with water, its normal but will show a disheartening gain. Its NOT a fat gain...honest.

Before I start really exercising( if I ever can to any extent) I will get a full body composition so if i show a gain I can go check again to see what sort it is.

Please don't give up, its muscle gain, more muscle means faster metabolism. A muscle gain will lead to better fat loss, treat this gain as a good one

Does that mean that if i keep running i will stay at the same weight but lose fat? if that's the case then its going to be very hard to track my fat loss. Also i thought that you dont gain muscle from running, and that you couldnt gain muscle during a calorie defecit?

Its true that you don't gain much muscle (if any) from running but your muscles hold water and stuff for fuel and recovery. You would lose weight and fat if you continued running but you may need to up your calories if you start getting really tired. Everyones body works differently, some people eat all of their exercise calories and still lose but most people moan about not losing any weight if they do eat all and from the majority of the stories i've read, the ones losing steadily without tiredness are only eating about a quarter of them back.

You're also right about it being hard to build muscle during calorie deficit, I wouldn't say totally impossible but it probably would be detrimental to try as you would be lacking in too much to do it safely. BUT its not gaining muscle in your case, its toning muscle, any muscles worked harder than usual will draw fluids in to help repair and act as fuel for the next time. If you were to quit running tomorrow then chances are the 4lb gain would be dispersed and p'd out in a few days, but why would you want to quit running...fitness and weight loss go hand in hand perfectly. If you continue running I'm pretty sure you will see improved weight loss soon, the more your muscles work the faster your metabolism is.

The 4lb gain is a one off...shouldn't gain much if any more unless you start working other muscles that will also then hold a little

So do you think if i continue running that i was get to an even lower weight than i was at? It seemed to be working perfectly for me because i havent upped my calories and i run every night, and i feel better than i have in years. I never feel tired anymore really and have much more energy, id just really like to lose weight rather than gain it.

yes I do, you're burning even more calories, toning your muscles which in turn will burn calories more efficiently, do please up your calories if you do start feeling tired. If youre not feeding your muscles injuries are more likely etc.

Start reading up the more reading I do the more i'm learning about how it all works and the more I'm really hoping that pulmonary rehab will enable me to do more exercise to benefit

Hey hun, hope you've decided not to give up now, Cat Crazy thanks for the amazing helpful posts! i really appreciate them also! :) good luck everyone for this weeks WI's! unless i've been hopeless and missed em, in which case... have a lovely weekend! haha :D xxx

Back