This is me! (Management diary)

I will be sticking as low carb as possible over the weekend. No desserts or obvious carbs. But it is hard to know what is put into the food you are served in a restaurant. Plenty of wine is likely to be consumed though!
I would be surprised if I went out of ketosis during maintenance as I have kept my carbs well below 100 grams. Mostly around 50 grams or below most days. This has meant that could eat lots more food. Up to 2000 cals without putting on weight. Bonus!
Looking forward to half term as well. it means I get to have a little sleep in! But the kids do bicker alot and I am often shouting at the them to be nice to each other!

Last edited:
I'm fine. Just posted a bit of world-weary message earlier and thought better of it but you can't delete!

Well, I'm on holiday all week this week, and already making the effort (if that's not an oxymoron) to NOT book too much. I have a habit of overfilling my rare leisure time and ending up more tired than I was to start with. I have some very busy months ahead at work as we have a new imprint launch in October so it's really important that I put myself first for a bit. This is quite a new attitude for me, and at least shows that some of the stuff I did on LL actually stuck!

In the zone as far as packs are concerned, which is brilliant. I feel very positive about it and confident I will get back into all my clothes again in time for the summer (if we have one, that is!). I haven't been weighing myself, because I didn't want to get all down on myself and dwell on how much I've put on... Which I think was the right approach for me. I can feel my clothes starting to get a bit looser, which is lovely.

Absolutely you will get there. Have a lovely week off. Our kids are OK with spending most of the week at home doing practically nothing. it is just the way it is. Both parents are self employed - so we don't get paid for taking days off and so we have to work on bank hols and during school holidays. But they get other perks such as seeing us more often and the flexibility to wake up one morning and decide not to work until the evening.

Putting yourself first is something I have learned in recent months too. If i don't set aside time for relaxation, exercise, TV, walking, shopping or whatever - I get stressed out and can't work anyway. Sometimes you just have to think ahead and take time out when you can to avoid burnout later on.

When i said 'book' I didn't mean outings. I meant lists of 'things I *must* do this week'. i have a tendency to overfill my time and feel mega guilty for just chilling out. (Having said that, we're going to the circus tomorrow but that's this week's big treat!) still cleared all our kitchen cupboards and sorted the odds and sods drawer and baked and going to the allotment tomorrow and and and. You get the picture!

Well, I'm getting there. Not been weighing myself, as I didn't want to set off an unhelpful spiral of self-criticism, but I can feel my clothes getting looser again. Such a relief!

Only thing is I've been cheating - and having unsweetened soya milk in my tea - and I drink a lot of tea! Need to keep an eye on that one. If I seem to stall I will cut it out. For now though, the joy of a decent cup of tea seems worth it and I feel that's an adult choice - ie I'm not deliberately cheating out of a rebellious impulse. It's more about comfort and sanity!

Despite having the week off, I brought a piece of work home. I could have finished it on Friday but it would have meant a very late night. I did half of it yesterday and will get up in a moment and finish it off. I wish I didn't have to do it bit there's no getting round it. Oh well!

Finding it calming to be back in the zone and away from carb- craving madness. I'm using the time and freedom from obsession to plan low-carb strategies for when I get back to goal. I did so well before. I can do it again. I just let things slip too far at Christmas.

It sounds like you are in the zone at the moment and now is the time to make the most of it. Don't forget the emotional stuff as well. A big part of LL is the support from others and the learning about yourself. That helped me stay on track.
Don't worry about the milk in your tea. Last week when i did my few days of total I still had two cups of tea a day with milk and still lost 3.5 pounds in 4 days. There is a huge difference between a splash of milk and eating a meal or something sugary. Soya milk is very low in carbs anyway.

Loving your blonde pic! You look a-ma-zing!! Why don't you use it as your avatar? Your original pic is lovely, but your new one is fab!

Well, still in the zone. Yesterday went on a day trip to Bluewater with the family and (a) stuck to plan and (b) didn't overshop! Go me! Some of my clothes are still tight, but I managed to wear one pair of jeans that were actually comfy. Getting there. Got some summer clothes out of the attic earlier in the week. I didn't try them all on - didn't want to depress myself too much - but one pair of shorts fits, which is brilliant. (of course now I've retrieved all my warm weather stuff from the loft the weather has turned!!)

Got my friend coming today. I'm so looking forward to seeing her. One thing i really lack is time with close friends, and don't seem to have the time or the inclination to make new ones. It's one of the downsides of our itinerant society - moving for university and jobs means you lose the community you grew up with... All my closest friends are spread all over the world. At least we have Facebook, but it's not the same as a nice cup of tea and a catch up for an hour or so. It doesn't help that I also have a bit of a 'thing' about the phone. Not sure when it started but it's got worse as I've got older. I sound weird, don't I? Thing is, after a busy day at work I really don't fancy an hour on the phone... Whereas I used to like it.

Not that I'm a recluse or anything!! I know lots of people locally, but I wouldn't reveal any close secrets or worries to them.

Hmm... Very deep for this time in the morning!

Spangly - you sound just like me! I also hate the phone and never talk to my friends on it if I can help it. I totally agree about it being hard to make friends. I moved to the UK three years after university which was in NZ. So the friends i made there and at school are all on the other side of the world. Over the years I have kept in touch with just one of them and even that is very sporadic. I have one friend who i talk to locally, but we never go out together or do things. I see her when I walk my daughter to school and we have been doing this for years. But it is a school ground friendship. We are close enough that I can off-load to her - but when she want a night on the town or a weekend away with her girlfriends I am not invited....

I am not on a downer about myself, but I have trouble making friends. I am quite a thoughtful person, I obsess about topics and research and I use lots of "big" words. People find me a little intimidating to talk to and i think I give the impression that I look down on people in an intellectually snobby way. I really don't. But at the same time I am not the type to enjoy a night out getting drunk and watching the Chippendales!! I think I come across as weird or a loner. I would rather not be - I just need to find people that enjoy the same things as me. Not an easy task when you are nearly 40!

ooh I love Bluewater - we used to live in Kent and go there nearly every weekend. This was when the hubby was employed as a contractor and was on great money. We just shopped for our leisure time. A bit sad. But you could spend a whole weekend at Bluewater and not miss the real world. I am off on a shopping trip with my mum-in-law this weekend to Gun Wharf Quays in Portsmouth. There are lots of designer outlet shops. Not that I will be spending at the moment - got three birthdays coming up...

Yeah - think I might swap the photos around. I wanted to keep reminding myself of the difference I have achieved. I am not overly technical and had enough trouble getting the photos loaded in the first place!

So good to know I'm not the only one like that, nzmegs!

Been very down the past few days, despite having my friend over, which has been lovely. Just feeling very bloated and rubbish and like the packs aren't working. I wonder if it IS the soya milk? Hmm. What triggered the black mood was going to the hospital for yet another appointment about my mystery joint pains, and being weighed. Ugh. I'm so much heavier than I thought I was and am really down about it. They said I'm overweight!!!!

Can't quite believe that, as some of my jeans do fit, but maybe I am? Really not happy about it. Trying not to let it provoke loads of crooked thinking and acting out but it's difficult. I've also been doing a lot of cooking for the family this week, as I've been off work, which hasn't been that easy. Makes me wonder if I'm actually in ketosis or not.

Hmm. Then yesterday I phoned (!) my mum, who's just come back from holiday, and she was really brusque and dismissive and didn't want to talk because she was too busy. Wish I hadn't bothered!! Going to see her later but not especially looking forward to it. Grump!!

How annoying. Have to have a subscription to read this...any other sources?

Ah, no - sorry! It's a summary of lots of stuff you've probably already read (Gary Taubes gets a mention and so on). Positive article, though - which I feel makes a change from the negative press low-carbing usually gets in the media.

Have you read any stuff about intermittent fasting? I'm quite intrigued and think it could be an interesting complement to a low-carb regime for maintenance.

Yep, intermittent fasting was one of my "fads" for a while. I followed Fast Five which was basically that you gave yourself a window of five hours each day to eat whatever you like. I took that literally and ate loads of sugary and carby rubbish. So didn't work. But the concept makes sense. your body will only burn fat in the absense of other sources of fuel. eating too often means we provide too much fuel and our body will never get the chance to move to fat.I would go all day without eating and then eat from 4-9pm.

But, if you don't eat carbs, your body will also consume your body fat more easily. So you get the same effect.

I am far happier (and less hungry) simply sticking to a high fat low carb diet. Having said that - once a week or so, i just don't eat for most of the day and might end up fasting for 15 hours or so. I don't plan it, but circumstances mean that i don't eat in the morning. it is thought that doing this will keep your metabolism guessing.

The Fast Five ebook is worth downloading though.

I went to the local shop with my friend this morning on the way home from school. I bough two cartons of double cream. She was amazed I was eating that and still not putting on weight. people just don't get it do they? I find it really frustrating! No, i am not going to die of a heart attack and no, fat will not miraculously deposit itself on my thighs! Your breakfast cereal might do that though.... (this was what i wanted to say)

Someone smack me! I was in a great mood this morning, but one meeting has really made me feel down today. I want to get back my sense of perspective and oomph. Ugh.

How do I let things wash over me? I feel like a failure because I've discovered one person is saying very negative things about me to my boss. Not nice. Thankfully my boss is defending me, but it's a horrible situation and really unexpected. I feel quite hurt.

Oh dear. I think you are being too hard on yourself. You have every right to be sad about this situation. Anyone would and if you didn't feel bad about it, I would consider you to be very strange. Nothing is worse than someone questioning you, being negative about your work or your personality and worse still, telling someone whose opinion you trust. All of these things are awful and you should feel sad about it it because it is wrong.

The only thing you have control over in this life is what you alone do. You can't control how other people think or what they say about you - but you do have control over how you react to it. Inside you might be feeling dreadful, but that person needs to see that their comments are not valid.

Confrontation is not a nice thing to do, but I really think that you will feel better if you get this out in the open with the person. Even via email if necessary. Simply tell them that you would prefer it if they came to you with any concerns and that you don't agree with their opinion of your work. Point out that they are entitled to their viewpoint, but that you don't think that personal insults should be used aginst you in the workplace.

A carefully worded, succinct email which points out their wrongdoing without being overtly critical of them will give you the upper hand and will make them feel suitably guilty.

Even if you can't send this email (because you don't think it is appropriate) write it anyway. Put it in your draft folder and think about it. This really helps me when I have an argument with my husband. I write down everything I wish I could say and it gets it out of my system. Later, when I read back, I often realise that my concerns have now passed and it is OK just to leave it.

Try not to let it get to you - but realise that it is natural to feel bad about this.

Back