This is me! (Management diary)

Oh dear. it can be really challenging keeping family happy when you are dieting. I don't think I have eaten the same thing as my family for years now. I have always been on a diet of some sort and as a vege they always eat differently to me.

If you were to eat soup in the evening at the table with him would that be acceptable. I always manage to sit at the table with my family even if all I am having is a shake. Do you join your husband while he eats (even if you eat differently)? Perhaps he just wants the company and doesn't mind what you eat as long as you are there.

You need to think about the his mindset and what is behind this reluctance. Could he be worried about the extra money, could he be feeling that you look fine as you are and that he doesn't want you to lose any more weight, could he just be fed up with the whole thing, could he feel guilty about his own eating habits and doesn't want you to point this out to him.Could he just feel that he did his bit to support you through your weight loss and now wants to relax and have you back.

Sometimes i think we forget how our diets can affect the whole family. it is restrictive for us and them. No nights out, no alcohol, no special meals, no friends around for dinner. For them, life revolves around food and having that cut off makes life hard.

You need to discuss these issues with him. Ask him if you can set aside two weeks to concentrate on your diet and that this will be the end of it all. Choose a two week period when you haven't got any engagements and see what he thinks.

Don't bother spouting out stuff you have read in books. men think we are all obsessed with diets and the latest fad or study anyway. My husband can't stand it when i do that. he just wants to see results and doesn't care what the latest book or magazine thinks!

Well... bit more positive today, despite waking up completely exhausted AGAIN. I do hope the consultant can find an answer for me with these joint pains and the sleepiness. It's quite debilitating. I've been referred to a sleep clinic - did I mention that? Would be interesting if it turns out it's all connected to sleep.

And yes, I understand that my hubby probably just has "diet fatigue" (!) Makes sense. Last night was better. I pulled myself together (! Could you hear the "rebellious child" in my last post much?!) and cooked us a delicious low-carb dinner, which we had together. Phew.

I CAN DO THIS!!

Just so many things to juggle. I'm managing, but managing without immediately running to carbs is HARD WORK! I feel wibbly, or stressed, or anxious... and the carb demons are there right away. I will manage this though - with food. I want to be eating regular, nutritious meals - that also taste good. Just want to find a way to keep the munchies at bay!!

Don't we all. being on packs certainly works but hardly a long term solution....how do those skinnies out there manage?

I've been reading a couple of books about insulin resistance and obesity (and carb cravings) and they make a LOT of sense. One in particular was like a lightbulb for me. I've been making these connections for a while now, for me, but to read it in black and white was revelatory - and a relief. "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes. I can't recommend it highly enough. What a calm, considered, balanced and fair assessment of low-fat high carb vs high fat low carb!

Genius.

Am now busy meal planning as this is I'm sure the way forward for me longer term. I'll still have carbs from time to time but I am going to really limit them as that's the best way for me to keep the munchies at bay. He explains insulin resistance and how we store fat/release fat really clearly, and explains how obesity is nothing to do with gluttony (which takes out the whole "I'm rubbish because I have no willpower" emotional load out of it all), but is rather a consequence of messed up sugar metabolism leading to very strong cravings/feelings of hunger - which go away if you switch to a low carb diet. A great read!

You are a woman after my own heart - I love love love love Gary Taubes. I have ploughed my way through 800 pages of The Diet Delusion and it was worth every minute. He is a genius and unfortunately the "low fat brigade" will never listen to him.

Sugar is pretty much evil in his eyes and he makes a very good and considered argument for why that is the case. If you read his book and still think it is OK to eat low fat, high sugar foods - you are a moron. Or a freak of nature!

The fact is that these low fat diets messed us all up and now we simply cannot process sugar efficiently. It is laid down as fat and the process is self perpetuating.

What I loved about his book was that I came away realising that it wasn't all my fault and to stop hating myself for what was essentially an addiction and physiological inevitability. I knew I needed to find a low carb solution and I found it in LL.

You might feel like you need a science degree to get through the Diet Delusion but it is worth taking the time to understand it. The Why We Get Fat book is much more down to earth and easier to read. Still packed with great info though.

I've downloaded it and will read it later! I don't mind if it takes ages to get through: I feel like I'm laying a foundation for the rest of my life. (I know that sounds a tad melodramatic, but he's a revelation!)

A couple of months ago I read the article 'What if its all been a big fat lie', is a NYTimes article that Taubes wrote back in 2002. Is the 8 page version instead of 800 pages.
When I read that article it really made sense about the sugar and insulin. What struck me was the influence that the food pyramid made on my generation and how it is completely the wrong way for me to eat. I really need low carb and I believe it is the only way for me to be able to maintain my weight after LL.

Absolutely - if the low fat, high carb diet was ideal for us we would all be the perfect weight. We are now eating less fat in our diets than ever and yet we are all fatter. yet we are all eating more sugar than ever. Has no one put two and two together? Unfortunately people really have the mindset that fat equals fat. but the truth is so far away from that.

Atkins was the first to take on the diet industry and try to point out some of these inconsistencies and he was continuously put down.His low carb diet may not have been ideal due to its reliance on red meats, which have their own health issues, but the concept was there and noone thought to look into it and see what a sugar free diet could do for our health.

that was back in the 70s and how much damage has been done since then.

If you go onto YouTube there are a number of lectures given by Taubes and one of his contemporaries which really make you see how damaging sugar is.

Even Taubes says that a little sugar occasionally is OK, but if you are addicted it is best to stay clear.

When I am finished with this diet I know that sugar and high carb foods are not for me. As a vegetarian this is even more challenging. But there are plenty of vege protein sources which are great and easy to prepare. Beans and tofu anyone?

I so agree with everything that's been said & really recommend his book "Good calories, bad calories" as well; it was a revelation! :)
There are also a few very interesting documentaries based on some of his findings. I don't remember the titles, but will check later, as they are on a different hard drive.
x

Absolutely - if the low fat, high carb diet was ideal for us we would all be the perfect weight. We are now eating less fat in our diets than ever and yet we are all fatter. yet we are all eating more sugar than ever. Has no one put two and two together? Unfortunately people really have the mindset that fat equals fat. but the truth is so far away from that.

Atkins was the first to take on the diet industry and try to point out some of these inconsistencies and he was continuously put down.His low carb diet may not have been ideal due to its reliance on red meats, which have their own health issues, but the concept was there and noone thought to look into it and see what a sugar free diet could do for our health.

that was back in the 70s and how much damage has been done since then.

If you go onto YouTube there are a number of lectures given by Taubes and one of his contemporaries which really make you see how damaging sugar is.

Even Taubes says that a little sugar occasionally is OK, but if you are addicted it is best to stay clear.

When I am finished with this diet I know that sugar and high carb foods are not for me. As a vegetarian this is even more challenging. But there are plenty of vege protein sources which are great and easy to prepare. Beans and tofu anyone?

I agree with the sugar and high carbs, so addictive I feel it really is almost drug like. Some days I struggle so much it is all I think about from the moment I wake up, and if I have any, I end up craving even more. Other days not too bad, as a veggie I know there are lots of good protein options but my brain does not compute!
Jx

Been having a slight change of tack the past few days. I got fed up with packs to be honest, and keen to find a way of managing my weight with food that works for me. I did it last year after all! So I've gone back to low carbing. I'm not sure if I should keep posting here as I'm not strictly doing LL anymore - more like a kind of Atkins at the moment - but I consider myself a LL Maintainer so maybe I can stay?! (hint)

I'd quite like to stay!

I got weighed on Saturday and it wasn't great. I'd had a couple of days of small (honest) amounts of carbs and the weight (water?) gain was astronomical. It really is amazing how my bodyweight can fluctuate so quickly because of carbohydrates.

So now back on low carb and LOVING it. I feel so much better - and like this is a sustainable plan for me longer-term. And free! (well, food isn't free of course, but it doesn't mean I have to rely on packs). I am seeing my clothes getting looser again already after just a few days so I know this works for me. I plan not to weigh myself until I come back from India as I was getting a bit obsessed re the last 5lb.

Just feel so much calmer and happier without the blood sugar highs and lows. Phew.

Spangly - don't you go anywhere!!! We need you here becuase you are a perfect example of how to find what works best beyond LL. We will all have to move away from packs at some point and find a way of eating which works well for us.

You are also going through that phase, so it is interesting to see how you get on.
I am guessing I will be eating lowish carbs for the rest of my life. I never eat white carbs (except white bread sometimes) but even brown rice, cous cous and barley are high in carbs and i will have trouble saying goodbye to these fibre sources.

it is just a matter of finding a level of carbs which suits me.

Right now I am suffering with a cold and have an E-book I am writing which needs to be delivered by the end of the day...would love a big plate of pasta....

Thanks, nzmegs. I will try to come on here and post from time to time! Right now I'm in a weird mood, as I feel very low but can't think what's causing it. I've got a lot on at work and I'm nervous about going to India on Saturday, so that probably explains it! Haven't been turning to carbs though, which at least is a step in the right direction!

Hormones? That is usually my reason for feeling uncharacteristic. it passes quickly though, so hopefully you will be back to normal in a few days.

Good luck for your trip. How exciting!

It IS exciting - but also scary! I'm travelling out with a colleague but she returns before I do, so I'm doing an internal flight, four days of meetings and the return journey to the UK on my own... I don't feel quite as brave as that sounds!

Busybusybusy. Bit fed up to be honest. I need to get on top of things properly so I don't feel I'm constantly trying to catch up. That's the only problem with days off (I had Monday off as my hubby and I went away on Saturday night and I didn't want to come back straight after to work, I wanted some chill out time at home first!). Came back to LOADS of new meetings, emails etc. I have to keep reminding myself that I do in fact quite like my job!

Greetings from India! :-D

I seem to be managing to stay reasonably low-carb, despite being miles from home and being offered all kinds of delicious temptations. (I LOVE Indian food). Only difficulty has been getting enough protein as I'm trying not to eat too much meat/fish while here as I've been advised to stay veggie as much as possible to avoid tummy upsets.) I've had the most amazing food so far - loads of vegetable curries (cauliflower, green beans, brocolli, coconut) and have avoided the breads and rice (although people keep getting worried I'm not eating enough - I was taken to a restaurant and because I wouldn't have bread or rice they insisted I have something else. In the end I asked for some curried spinach and the chef made it for me specially!!)

Clothes are still fitting ok - I haven't been weighing myself (despite scales in the hotel rooms) as I have enough stress going on just with being over here on my own (my colleague flew back yesterday) and all the meetings I've got.

Water hasn't been a problem as the hotels and offices give you bottled water - I was worried before I came that I wouldn't be able to drink enough as the tap water is unsafe.

So on the whole doing ok. I expect to gain a bit while here but the main thing is that low carb really IS do-able!!

I'm going to dinner at the boss's house this evening and hope to be able to report back on lots of delicious low-carb delights (his wife is an architect and chef and once she heard I was eating low carb had lots of great suggestions for things I might be able to eat). The people here really are amazing - so hospitable and friendly.

Hey lovely to hear from you so far away spanglymum, try chickpeas for protein, depending on where you are it is quite a staple diet in India, and I loved the food too! I am a veggie and thoroughly loved it!
Or pander cheese, low carb fairly high protein and great in a curry, they cook it so it bizarrely comes out like chicken, scrummy!!
Enjoy
Jx

I was going to suggest chickpeas too or dal. You might be able to find some brown rice on a menu too. Indian people base their hospitality around the food they offer. It is really important to them that people are satisfied and content after they have eaten. But one good thing is that desserts are not necessarily a big thing. You can get away with nice indian spiced tea instead.

I am pleased that you are enjoying your trip. I hope you are managing to see some sights as well as getting your work done.

Well, I managed pretty well all week in India, which I'm really proud of, but then since I got back I've been sabotaging myself massively :(. Not sure what that's about really. I'm sticking to Atkins/low carb pretty much, which works for me really well for maintenance, but then in the evening I've been going off road and it's not pretty. Muffin top ahoy! :cry: Can anyone offer any sympathy/advice/words of comfort?!

Well, I pulled myself together last night and had an early night instead of giving it to temptation. At least that proves I can do it once - now to be consistent about it!

Back