To Exercise or Not To Exercise

TB1972

:sigh:

Dear All
I wonder if you have any words of wisdom - I am at the end of my tether!
To cut a long story short - I have been doing SW since February and have done OK since then up until about 5 weeks ago when I started introducing "exercise". This week I have been great food wise but last night gained 1 1/2 lbs - I was mortified and to be honest since exercising I have had more gains than losses even though food diary has been OK.
Has anyone else been through this - it feels as though I am the only one:cry: My leader last night said it was quite common and soon it should all start levelling out - I hope so.
Also I have started to gain a little water on the ankles - have been to the docs and she said it looks like a bit of fluid retention has given me tablets to take for a month to see if they help!
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Love
Tx

Have u measured ur inches, as sometimes u can gain muscle mass but lose inches?

You said that the doctor told you that you had fluid retention = that's where the weight gain comes from :) Once you sort that out you should be fine.

Remember that exercising makes you retain water as your body needs extra water to repair it's muscles, your C is right, the weight should level out soon :)

xx

Your weight will balance out. Don't ever stop doing exercise just because the numbers a a bit squiffy for a few weeks. Weight loss and health is about the big picture not just the numbers week to week. Introducing exercise into your daily life will lead to a healthier happier you and when you come to maintaining it will be sooooo much easier if you already have a high level of fitness. Your metabolism will be much faster and you will feel better. Keep at it! xx

My mum has had fluid retention for a month now, and the doctor put her on tablets as well. The fluid has now gone down and her weight is coming off again. I really would put your gain down to the fluid retention. Exercise is good for you and will help increase your weight and inch loss.

Maybe you aren't eating enough now for the amount of energy you are burning with exercise or drinking enough to account for the amount you are losing in sweating. I know that I find the more I drink and the more I eat the more I lose. Guess you could work out the number of calories you are taking in a day just to see how low the numbers are. I know that I lose weight on slimming world because it forces me to eat and drink more than I was doing before, I have gone from barely bothering to eat one meal at day to at least trying my hardest to eat 3 meals a day, my 2 year old still eats more a day than I do but I call it progress lol can't be bad since I have lost over a stone since joining and being pregnant at the same time, good luck. Hugs Crystal xx

Thanks huns for your words of wisdom - I do feel so much better for the exercise - just a little cheesed off with the water retention but I will stick with it!
Thanks again hunnies x

I think it has more to do with the water retention rather than exercise. I think the two things are independent of one another. The medication your doctor has given you will help, but a few things to watch is your salt intake as well as your water intake. As back to front as it sounds, drinking more water will actually help with the problem!

Back