Today's Daily Mail

The thing is for many people on and off a vlcd does seem to be a way of life........ just look at the restarters on here for instance. The reason being, if they come 'off the wagon' and eat one meal they put on 5lbs or even more, which isnt real fat it is glycegen and water that replenishes you muscles, the first half a stone you lose on a vlcd real it is the glycegen stores when empty. My weightloss even slow I know my weightloss which is now slowed to 2lb a week, is plus my gl.cegen stores fully stored! Their are more people who are on and off vlcds, who try to maintain their weight this way, than people like icemoose and Kd. Sad but true. A vlcd has become a way of punishing themselves, for being greedy and fat. Ok i am sure I will get alot of denial but this is true, just read some of the threads and posts by unsuccessful Vlcd dieters who aspire to be like the councellors who have succeeded and are now self employed, many would like to do councelling for a living.

Hi Cherry (and everyone else),

I get what you're saying about it being a way of life for some people. Some people do a diet, regain the weight, do the same diet again etc.

I think you'd have to find a turningpoint for yourself to be able to maintain the weight you've lost on a vlcd or basically any diet that isn't about ''normal food'' for a big part of the diet.

I personally do not think it is right for me to restart CD if I fail to maintain the first time because then I'd know for myself CD would not have been the right way to lose weight. :)

I'd have to find another way which would possibly lead to me maintaining everything instead of gaining the weight I've lost (+ more) back. Point is you have to change your mentality towards food and excersize etc too, not just loose the weight. Just losing the weight is, again for me personally, the 'easy' part. Teaching myself food isn't for comfort and to excersize more is hard!

That being said, I too hope to be able to maintain like KD and icemoose and will try to when I reach my goal ;-) I just won't go into yoyo-ing and doing an off and on CD-diet for the rest of my life. :)

We shall see.

Hope I'm making sense :)

xxx Lostris

AM I blind or have they removed all the comments and disabled making them?.

Some very interesting and very worthwhile comments. Just one comment to add, no matter which diet you are on, the yo-yo effect happens - and that's not the result of the diet is it.

icemoose - you really do talk a lot of sense i enjoy your posts.

Some very interesting and very worthwhile comments. Just one comment to add, no matter which diet you are on, the yo-yo effect happens - and that's not the result of the diet is it.

icemoose - you really do talk a lot of sense i enjoy your posts.

Hey!

I feel as if the yo-yo-add was (at least partially) directed to me so I'd like to explain what I meant with it :)

I know people yo-yo and I know it's not the fault of any diet but of the person. What I was trying to say is, if I did after Cambridge I just will not be doing Cambridge to 'counter' yo-yo-ing. If I get into a mayor-yo-yo spring that, to me, will mean I have not dealt with my food issues enough during the CD-diet and thus re-doing CD would be useless :)

Hope that clears it up a bit and if your add wasn't meant for me, whoops hihi...

xxx Lostris

Cycle of punishment, I am greedy (or fat) i do not deserve to eat. The simple secret is to eat the right amount of the right kinds of foods, I do have treats, wheras before i could eat a tub of icecream in one sitting, i have a little bit, where i could eat four mars bar nuked in the microwave, can have maybe three or four jaffa cakes. I think the turning point for me was realising the 200g dairy milk that I was dunking in my coffee and eating like a biscuit, had infact 1000calories, for that i could have three meals, simple knowledge of how much calories you are eating can help you make good choices. You can learn this after a vlcd when you have lost the weight, fine but the simple truth is, I like eating, I like to chew and taste and eat with my family, so I opted for the eat 500cals less than I needed everyday, to secure a 1lb weightloss (500x7=3500=1 pound off) and walk more everyday, and you know what, after three months and three stone lost with ease, it really does work.

I have to say, I know it's the Daily Mail and all (whom I am not a fan of!), but that is a scary article! I might have just been able to convinve myself that it's just news, that the chances are low... however, my hubby read it and instantly said I wasnt to do the diet! Don't get me wrong - he's not controlling, ever. He's the most passive person, but he was so worried about it he has pleaded with me to not do it and I have to say, in a way - I agree. I could be that one unlucky person and I wonder really if it is worth the risk. I think maybe if you don't have too much to lose it's better, but I have 12 stone to lose and I could lose it so quickly on CD, maybe that isn't really right.

The one thing I know though is that it is equally as dangerous for me to be this overweight and so that has spurred me on to really get my bum into gear and lose it.

We are all able to make our own decisions and so for me, it's enough to shock me into coming off the diet and I am going to start on the slimming world journey. It's hard for me as I could see that I'd be at my target next year, but I have to have the support of my husband to do this too and I totally understand why he feels this way and I just can't take the risk of something like that happening to me.

I think the turning point for me was realising the 200g dairy milk that I was dunking in my coffee and eating like a biscuit, had infact 1000calories, for that i could have three meals, simple knowledge of how much calories you are eating can help you make good choices.

heh, i remember how petrified i was when i realized how much calories Oreo's have... u know, those incredibly fattening US cookies?? I think each pack of Oreo's has 2,500 calories, and i could actually eat a whole tube during the whole day... i think it was around 25 cookies.

I have to say, I know it's the Daily Mail and all (whom I am not a fan of!), but that is a scary article! I might have just been able to convinve myself that it's just news, that the chances are low... however, my hubby read it and instantly said I wasnt to do the diet! Don't get me wrong - he's not controlling, ever. He's the most passive person, but he was so worried about it he has pleaded with me to not do it and I have to say, in a way - I agree. I could be that one unlucky person and I wonder really if it is worth the risk. I think maybe if you don't have too much to lose it's better, but I have 12 stone to lose and I could lose it so quickly on CD, maybe that isn't really right.

The one thing I know though is that it is equally as dangerous for me to be this overweight and so that has spurred me on to really get my bum into gear and lose it.

We are all able to make our own decisions and so for me, it's enough to shock me into coming off the diet and I am going to start on the slimming world journey. It's hard for me as I could see that I'd be at my target next year, but I have to have the support of my husband to do this too and I totally understand why he feels this way and I just can't take the risk of something like that happening to me.

I think your being sensible, I mean the side effects are much more riskier the more you have to lose and the longer you are on SS, I am not small myself, on august 16th I was nearly 21stone and now I am 17stone 13lbs. I have lost everyweek atleast a couple of pounds, I joined slimming world a couple of weeks ago for encouragment and interesting meal ideas. you can always pm me anytime, my email adress is [email protected], if you have msn or want to email. I fear getting banned everyday, as i speak out against the dangers of vlcds and ketosis, so i may not be here much longer, good luck with slimming world, you will lose weight!

""I fear getting banned everyday, as i speak out against the dangers of vlcds and ketosis, so i may not be here much longer,""

Excuuuuuse me, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Where on earth do you get these things from?? You are the only one saying them. Everyone has their own opinions and that's fine. I haven't ever seen a mod say 'oh I'll ban you cherry'... and I doubt they would... Saying things like this without reason (do you have one? mod warning?) just to prove your importance seems very crude to me... :s

I think it's that attitude that gets you on people's '''bad''' side, not your different opinion or different views or feelings that you have to warn people for vlcds (warnings are always good imo.)

As far as I know this forum allows all opinions as long as you do not deliberately hurt people by saying unneccesary rude / hurtful things.

I realise this post will come off rude, too, to some people. I have followed your diet plan and I greatly respect you for sticking to it, but I felt the urge to respond to the comment you made above..

I have also read more of your posts and I think if anything you should treat others as you wish to be treated. If you want them to respect you and your opinion do not bash them in the face :'')

If you want people to listen to you, listen to them. If you want people to respect you, respect them and respect them enough to allow them to make choices that are mistakes in your eyes..

Right.. I'll stop editting now.

Last edited:
excuse me, DQ banned me once before, and then i got banned again, so I know what i am talkign about. As they dont mention the members that get banned you dont know a thing. I got banned a couple of weeks ago for 2 weeks, it wasnt mentioned or even indicated that iwas banned, and people were wating for me to respond, so yes i do know what i am talking about. this maybe my last reply. as i feel a ban definately happening, i think that DQ is on holiday actually, which is why i ahvent been banned yet.

excuse me, DQ banned me once before, and then i got banned again, so I know what i am talkign about. As they dont mention the members that get banned you dont know a thing. I got banned a couple of weeks ago for 2 weeks, it wasnt mentioned or even indicated that iwas banned, and people were wating for me to respond, so yes i do know what i am talking about. this maybe my last reply. as i feel a ban definately happening, i think that DQ is on holiday actually, which is why i ahvent been banned yet.

Hi Cherry,

If you were banned you would not be back on here as when we ban someone it is for life.

You were actually infracted for your aggressive rude constant anti vlcd posts which begs the question as to the real purpose you are here...

Is it to lose weight in a supportive reciprocal manner?

Or is it just to inflame?

Love Mini xxx

Cherry.. live and let live.. if you dont agree with VLCD's to the point where you cannot support people who do them.. dont post on that section.. this is a damn good weight loss SUPPORT forum.. and i know for a fact that it changes a lot of peoples lives.. all we need is a little love and support.. then we can succeed.

Cat x

Ive seen so many people suceed and totally change their lives on VLCD.. i LOVE CD and all you have to do is look at people like Summerskye, Icemoose, Mini, eclipse, and the most amazing KD, and so on to see how much this diet has improved their lives.. i agree that it carried side effects which are not hidden.. Hair loss, that kind of thing.. but i think someone wanted to sell a story and the daily mail like scare mongering people.. i believe being overweight or obese carries more risks.. esp with CD being the most researched diet ever.. (heard this many many times).. The medical ass. would not allow this diet to continue if it was dangerous..
xx x

Last edited:
I think your being sensible, I mean the side effects are much more riskier the more you have to lose and the longer you are on SS, I am not small myself, on august 16th I was nearly 21stone and now I am 17stone 13lbs. I have lost everyweek atleast a couple of pounds, I joined slimming world a couple of weeks ago for encouragment and interesting meal ideas. you can always pm me anytime, my email adress is Expose Email, if you have msn or want to email. I fear getting banned everyday, as i speak out against the dangers of vlcds and ketosis, so i may not be here much longer, good luck with slimming world, you will lose weight!

You seem to talk about huge risks - what on earth are you on about. I do LL and I have to have regular checkups so much so that my doctor has previously told me not to come back for another blood pressure check for 3 months as I just do not need one - LL makes you have 1 per month!

The biggest risk for dieters is failure and then the illnesses and complications that ensue as a result of obesity.

Your comments are OTT and not even worth reading really as you provide no evidence for so called risks.

If you have to be negative, then please provide some facts along with the source - and i don't just mean stories about an individual here or there - I mean proper statistically verifiable facts - such as you will see on the lighterlife website. I believe CD has lots of real scientific evidence about VLCDs too.

So do post - but make your posts of use - nobody can take you seriously at the moment so your points are worthless. I hope to see some more better researched posts soon.

all you have to do is look at people like Summerskye, Icemoose, Mini, eclipse, and so on to see how much this diet has improved their lives..

Bad girl. Wonder why people always forget about me when they do 'the list':eek: :cry:

Wont take it personally this time (like last time and the time before, oh and the time before that), but next time, I might start getting offended :D

Bad girl. Wonder why people always forget about me when they do 'the list':eek: :cry:

Wont take it personally this time (like last time and the time before, oh and the time before that), but next time, I might start getting offended :D

I dont know what you're talking about.. you're deffo there in the list.. :eek:

The Daily Mail is a load of pap and the press spends more than half of it's time scaremongering. Anyone with half a brain knows that.

While I am no fan of VCLDs, they obviously work, brilliantly in some cases (Summerskye, Icemoose, Mini, Eclipse, KD!!!!) and each person has a right to their opinion, and not every diet suits every person.
Those two individual in the article were simply unlucky and had bad reactions to this particulat diet. While that's wholly unfortunate to condemn a diet that helped millions of people is, in my opinion wrong.

With regard to cherry15 said about side effects...Yes, there may well be risks relating to a vcld, but there are risks to a lot of things. Have you read the possible side effects of ibuprofen or paracetamol?

Back