Today's Daily Mail

but to flaunt huge weekly weightlosses in front of others who want to lose weight a normally like 2lbs a week, it really does make you feel that a 2lb weekly weightloss is sh*t, and not good enough. .

I hardly think its flaunting it. Its not like people on CD come on to the WW or SW section and say 'Hah check out how much I lost' or want to join in with our wi's or challenges. If someone is following a VLCD then they deserve the good weight losses, those of us on a food diet know a 2lb loss is a good rate to lose it and I dont think anyone on anyone has ever thought their loss of 2lb a week was s*** because someone on a VLCD lost 3 or 4 times that.

I really do think youre missing the whole point of this forum but do enjoy DH :)

that is my secret to have dropped just over 3 stones in 3 months, but anyway i have gone over to discovery health, and it is much better and not one sided.

Good for you!

Most of us were originally from Discovery Health - and our gain is clearly their loss :)

At least from SW gym instructors and supermarkets you get value for money spent, I go to SW pay £4.50 to make friends, not for the diet really, I am just carrying on what i am doing.

As for people leaving the site and moving on mmmm how convienent of them.

I have not mean't to be rude, of course it is up to people how they lose weight, but to flaunt huge weekly weightlosses in front of others who want to lose weight a normally like 2lbs a week, it really does make you feel that a 2lb weekly weightloss is sh*t, and not good enough. Its really hard to stick to a healthy diet and eat less, i clock up roughly the calories i eat during the day and when I think I have eaten 1500/1600cals I stop eating, that is my secret to have dropped just over 3 stones in 3 months, but anyway i have gone over to discovery health, and it is much better and not one sided.

Just jog on love :rolleyes:

when I think I have eaten 1500/1600cals I stop eating, that is my secret to have dropped just over 3 stones in 3 months.

Good for you, however when I try and do the same I lose around a stone and a half in around 6-8 weeks and then my loss always stalls (hand on heart no cheating/complacancy and consistent exercise throughout). I then struggle on for another 2-3 months or so and get another few lbs off before my weight loss stops completely. It has happened to me more times than I can remember. I sincerely hope you can stay strong if the same thing happens to you because I doubt you'd be feeling so positive about your chosen method of weight loss if you also had week after week of no movement on the scales.

At least from SW gym instructors and supermarkets you get value for money spent, I go to SW pay £4.50 to make friends, not for the diet really, I am just carrying on what i am doing.

I think that is really sad:( I know you are anti the diet industry in general. Are you so needy for friends that you feel you must pay £4.50 to a diet industry to make some:confused: I'm so sorry to hear that :(

The challenge was for you to find another longtermer who hasn't done a VLCD. So you couldn't find one then? We didn't do so bad then after all.

it really does make you feel that a 2lb weekly weightloss is sh*t, and not good enough.
You feeling this way saddens me too. I guess you haven't mentioned that you've been losing more than 2lb a week in case you upset others?

that is my secret to have dropped just over 3 stones in 3 months,
:eek: Eek.
but anyway i have gone over to discovery health, and it is much better and not one sided.
You may find they stand up for their diet of choice when you start criticising them too. :sigh: No doubt the many people on here (including the VLCDers) who are on DH will watch with interest.

As we've said so many times, very best of luck with your chosen diet.

that is my secret to have dropped just over 3 stones in 3 months

I have just realised that you are losing weight faster than the expected weight loss of a vlcd...surely by your own logic you are doing yourself some serious harm?!;)

And don't tell me that it's different because you're doing it in a "healthy" way...if your body supposedly damages itself to lose the weight so fast blah blah then that principle would apply whichever method you used to get your weight off that quickly.

I have not mean't to be rude,

Yes you have. Your words hurt people and you KNOW it does, and you demean their acheivements. That is practically the dictionary definition of being rude.

I know that it threatens many people to see the morbidly obese lose weight. Almost everyone I've known who is against less traditional "diets" wants people to fail.

I'm losing weight this way, without cheating (not even one speck of something that shouldn't be taken on LL), and I'm not interested if anyone is bitter about the speed it's coming off. I'm certainly getting value for MY money and I'll damn well "flaunt" my weight loss if I please (not that I do - I simply tell people how I am doing).

I know from doing things at SW (where I averaged 1 pound a weke - meaning it was going to take 4 or 5 years to lose my weight), that this is a painful and disheartening way to lose weight. I knew I wasn't going to make it with Slimming world (though I will go back when I am done here - at the invitation of my SW consultant who is very supportive of my change in direction).

It saddens me that you're actually choosing to hurt people. But that's ok, I know I'll meet many people in life who want me to fail, and who won't agree with what I do - it won't make me wrong.

I'll be thin at the end of february - and finally starting my life again. After 20+ years of tryign to do it the way you approve of, and failing. I will live longer, healthier and happier. I will not be judged on my weight, and all because I refused to toe the party line.

Good luck with your weight loss - while your postings make me sad, angry and hurt, I am not the sort of person to ever wish failure on someone who wants to lose weight. I would dearly love for everyone who is trying, to succeed, whatever way they're trying.

what an amazing post andy
couldn't have put it better myself
ella
x

my reply got deleted, quels suprise!
Its seems pointless to make the point again, but I have to, I suppose. The succcess stories on here are all CD councellors. lets hear from a longterm success story of woman (more than 7stone) who hasn't turned into a CD councellor, any takers? Then maybe i will be impressed?

Impress you??:confused: I dont think anyone here is interested in impressing you, I find it strange you think they would:confused:

I personally added my thoughts as there will be many forum members reading this thread and I feel it's important to tell all sides of the story, and for people not to be put off by stories in the paper. I havent read any others like this but I have read about lots of success stories in many publications.

Tracey

I know it might be a bit late to comment on the ''Councellors only want to make money''-comment but I feel I must.

I am a student and my councellor has always taken that into account. Whenever she has advice of how to cheapen things up she gives me that advice! When I told her I had trouble with the low kcal and it was making me very cold (blueish) etc she said instead of doing 810 or 1000 on Cambridge I should consider Cambridge Soya Slim (not sure if people in UK have that too??) as it will be SOOOOOOOO much cheaper.

See, I never would've thought it was cheaper. But it would cost me 3 euro's less per day!!!! And she (my lovely CDC) suggested it. So anyone saying all CDCs are in it for the money, you're very very wrong. They want to support people in losing weight. My CDC also is very determined in telling me not to set my goals too low, I can always change them but if I change them back up it will make me feel bad... I should find a weight I'm happy with and whether that's 80kg or 60kg she would not push me to do something else just 'coz she'd get more money..

Sorry for the little rant people. I love my CDC and I think she is a wonderful supportive lady and I felt like I had to stand up for her... :-\

On another note, cherry, remember my little note about people not being banned / shunned whatever for their opinion but being banned / shunned for being rude/hurtful? Guess what you're being now..

It's not your opinion that hurts people. It's your persistant personal attacks on people defending their diets against your opinion.

xxx

Reactions: DQ
WOW what a thread - it just shows how everyone is different on our board with lots of opinions, I only popped on for a min and got engrossed with this thread. The diet industry will- like the Leisure industry and Sports industry and IT industry I could go on! will always revolve around money as there is always someone that wants to lose weight, stabilse weight, put on weight and learn various sports or do the latest craze, Its a democracy out there we all make our own choices, spend our own money and live our own life.

Live and let live people its a whole new day today

I go to SW pay £4.50 to make friends, not for the diet really
Since when did anyone pay to make friends?

As for the avoidance of any question asking for hard evidence you have failed to provide... How convienent of you.

but to flaunt huge weekly weightlosses in front of others who want to lose weight a normally like 2lbs a week, it really does make you feel that a 2lb weekly weightloss is sh*t
I wasn't aware weight loss was a competition. I lose roughly 2lbs a week; I don't feel like s**t, because people here are so supportive, even if you only lose half a pound.

have eaten 1500/1600cals I stop eating, that is my secret to have dropped just over 3 stones in 3 months.
Forgive me for being a geek, but those numbers don't add up.

in order to lose one pound you must "under eat" by 3500 calories.

-500kcal/one week = 1lb loss a week.
That is roughly a 4lb loss a month.

There are roughly four weeks in a month.
4 x 3 = 12lbs in three months.

Three stone = 42lbs.

So in order to eat 1500kcal a day and lose over three stone in three months, you must be doing some hardcore exercise to burn off those extra 30lbs.

So really, healthy eating does not equal three stone lost in three months, unless you are exercising a lot.

Telling people they can lose that much just be eating good is misleading and missing out important facts, which you've been accusing VCLD's of doing.

Sorry if I come across as b*tchy, but I like my numbers to add up. :)
What a load of crap.
For one thing, I'm a 36DD and under 9 stone. Since when did big boobs = fat?

I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing, but are they seriously complaining because there are clothes made in bigger sizes? What do they want people to do, walk around naked if they're bigger than a size 12?

Last edited:
Since, we're all here happily ranting about the Daily Mail, thought you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.minimins.com/lighter-life-forum/67161-daily-mail-drivel.html

It seems the lovely people at FeMail, just love to pick on fat people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1085213/Yes-fat-IS-infectious-Just-look-M-S-bra-aisle.html

Hope y'all don't get quite a p***ed off as I did!

B x

I'm glad I read the express;):D

What a nastily written piece of media trash.

Tracey
x

Forgive me for being a geek, but those numbers don't add up.

in order to lose one pound you must "under eat" by 3500 calories.

-500kcal/one week = 1lb loss a week.
That is roughly a 4lb loss a month.

You're assuming she's 'only' undereating by 500cals a day. If she had been eating 3000 cals a day and is now eating 1500, thats a 1500 cal deficit a day- and it would equal 3lbs a week. HTH?

Don't forget the walking ;) that will burn a few!
B x
I know that. x)

But still, the average person could not lose that amount of weight in three months just be eating right and exercising a little.

And IrishMum: actually, that's incorrect.

For someone to under eat, they must eat less than the reccomended daily amount.

So if you are eating 1500, you are undereating by 500.

If someone originally ate 3000 and halved that, they'd still only be under-eating by 500, even though they're eating 1500 less than what they used to.

We love Jill Parkin... NOT!!!!

I'm new to this site, and haven't posted much, but have to say that the lovely Jill Parkin has inspired me to launch myself out of my 'lurky little corner' and speak up!!!

Who is she? What's her motivation? Is she just a bitter sensationalist who likes to drum up a response at any cost so she can wallow in the attention she so sadly craves, or was she maybe an overweight child who's carrying a LOT of baggage into adulthood - much like the bullied sometimes become the bullies?

Anyhoo - wouldn't you just love all of your friends to be this accepting, compassionate, tolerant, open minded and ... ooh, especially funny(!!!!???):mad:

She's top of my Xmas card list :8855:

Few and far between and are all coincidently have a self employed business out of it. I have a problem with the attitude that people have that they can't be content with a 1/2lbs weightloss a week, that they are addicted to fast quick weightloss that a vlcd (promises) and provides on SS, (i have not got a problem with the higher CD plans), but the 3/4lb weightloss you get on vlcds come at a price (see daily mail) and if your prepared to take the risk, then thats fine. my last reply and comment on vlcds.

And what a waste of internet space that was! Luckily you will be keeping your ill-informed (Daily Mail hee hee) thoughts to yourself as you are absolutrely unable to post any scientific evidence for the rubbish you spout!

Back