Toilet troubles on a VLCD

You can buy fybogel plain. You need to ask the chemist for it, as they don't usually have it on display.

I use pysillium husk powder, that works great too.

I have started having Benefibre 2 times a day and I think its helping me, certainly making me very windy and a little more regular, I also got Dulcolax from Wilkinsons for £1.96 which I might use at some point to help clear me from this wind.

How bad does it affect you when you take Dulcolax as I really dont want to be worrying about it whilst at work?

You can buy fybogel plain. You need to ask the chemist for it, as they don't usually have it on display.

I use pysillium husk powder, that works great too.
i have that but cant stand the taste of it.!! i must really as it cost me £13.00 lol

i have that but cant stand the taste of it.!! I must really as it cost me £13.00 lol

hi shanny do you just take the powder like that? I bought the powder then got some vegi caps from ebay and made the capsules myself i wouldnt have been able to dab the powder.

"i have that but cant stand the taste of it.!! i must really as it cost me £13.00 lol"

"i have that but cant stand the taste of it.!! i must really as it cost me £13.00 lol"

Just to say

Dulcolax is a STIMULANT laxative meaning it increases the muscle contraction and is not recommended for regular use unless under supervision of a doctor.

Fybogel and Lactulose are bulk forming or "osmotic" meaning they hold more water to ease things through.

Glycerin supposotories are a good idea as they are very gentle and unlike Dulcolax, cause any potential long term problems.

Given that on VLCD's the bowels transit time is higher, the most common stools to pass are type 1, hard wee malteser like ones, a Glycerin suppository would be the preferred choice here.

Then a bulk forming one to manage the longer term management.

I appreciate that you (plural) are not using them regularly but its just to make you aware for anyone else reading this who may think Dulcolax is okay to use every few days and gets the wrong impression.

Hello,

A few people have mentioned this already but dulcolax is the best to go for as it is an osmotic laxative,, therefore will in crease fluid in the bowel and make things softer.

I would avoid things lie senna and fibregel as these stimulate the bowl lining which can lead to stomach cramps and won't help a great deal to be honest.

Have you tried using a fibre powder supplement too? I use Benefibre which seems to work ok.

Hope things settle down soon

This is the post that sprung out to me.

I know theres a huge range and its easy to get confused out there

Dulcolax and Senna - stimulant
Fybogel, Lactulose - Osmotic

If the stool feels ready to pass but is too difficult to push out, a fingerful of vaseline can just do the trick, and is instant. Sometimes if things are very dry, it's just a case of "unsticking" it as it tries to squeeze past the narrowest part of its journey :D

If you have long or rough fingernails, use the finger cut off a disposable glove so you don't injure the delicate skin.

If the stool feels ready to pass but is too difficult to push out, a fingerful of vaseline can just do the trick, and is instant. Sometimes if things are very dry, it's just a case of "unsticking" it as it tries to squeeze past the narrowest part of its journey :D

If you have long or rough fingernails, use the finger cut off a disposable glove so you don't injure the delicate skin.

:eek: tmi

No more information than I thought might be pertinent to the topic being discussed.

i know it was maybe needed but still made me cringe lol

Just to throw in I have used Senokot in the past as I tend to have this problem anyway, but you can take pyslium husks in capsule form to, available from Holland and Barrat. I haven't had any problems yet though (fingers crossed!)

Well I am sorry if I shocked anyone, but I thought it was worth a try under certain circumstances, and saves taking substances that can upset the balance of the entire digestive tract, just on account of an inch of too-tight tubing.

Preperation H gel also works almost as well.

Well been in bed since 6pm with the cramps and nothing I brought the new senerkot i spotted it from the t.v this week. £4.99 for 20 tablets praying I'm lighter and free buy the weekend..!! Sad painful times huh... X

Dulcolax Question

Do they work well and can you take them in the afternoon or does it have to be at night, Im really needing to go and thought if I took one now id have a few hours before Im home and can spend the evening on the toilet :D

Also 1 or 2?

Thanks

x

Back