Too fat to employ?

ceebeee

Silver Member
Do you think employers judge you on your size?

I'm working in a dead end job and have been looking for a new one all year. I've had a lot of interviews and second interviews but no joy. I can't help but wonder if size is an aspect I am judged on, especially considering almost every reason for the "no" has been "we really like you and you interviewed very well and have great experience but another candidate just pipped you to it". Maybe that's just letting me down gently, I don't know.

Another aspect perhaps is ageism, a lot of friends have told me that because I'm in my late twenties, I might be seen as undesirable because I might leave and have babies.

Argh I just feel like the employment world is against me!

Oh forgot to mention that when I was 16 (and slim) my dad asked me to encourage my 20 year old large sister to lose weight because no one wants to employ someone fat as it makes them look unprofessional and lazy. While I disagree with his theory, I think a lot of people actually do think that way.

All the more reason to lose weight I guess but incredibly depressing!

I think your dads comment is affecting the way you think about employers.

I think it depends where you are going for jobs. Old school employers may be wary of you being a female of 'child bearing age' but they sure as hell can't discriminate against u for that.

You can take a company to a tribunal nowadays if you feel you have been discriminated at interview!!! So companies have to be so careful!!!

I think ask for more feedback from the rejection letter and see if there is something you need to polish in your skill set.

It is not down to size I am sure and the more you worry about that the less confident you will come across to a potential employer.

Good luck x

I have to agree, some employers may hold that against you if they're that way inclined but they would also have to have another candidate who was either just as good as you in every other aspect or slightly better otherwise they can't justify not giving you the job.

I do think you are effected by your Dad's comments. Try not to let them worry you when you next have an interview, just be yourself and do your best. I know its hard when your looking for a job, I've been job hunting for years now and I've only just started actually getting interviews for the sort of job I want and it is very disheartening, but just see every interview as experience.

If you've been getting second interviews as well it can't be your size as surely they'd find a reason not to give you a second interview.

Sometimes I also think the problem is people are already lined up for the job, I've known a few cases where employers have known who they want for the job but they've had to advertise and interview, which in my opinion is unfair, I'd rather they didn't advertise and just give the job to the person they have in mind, as it is soul destroying when you apply for a job or go for an interview and don't get it.

Good luck for any future interviews

I have always been employed since I left university,and for the last 6 years have worked in a custoemr facing, high pressure, high stress job. Until 2 years ago I was the same weight as you. I am also in my prime child bearing years, and am a bit plain looking as well. These are all things that should stop me getting a job according to your father.

My size has never stopped me getting a job. Its all about confidence. I am confident in my abilities to do my job and consequently I get the jobs I apply for. Don't let anyone tell you your gender, age or size should limit your employment choices. EVER

I have to be honest, although employers shouldnt discriminate against woman of childbearing age i can understand why some do :/ only because ive known a few who have completwly taken advantage of employers... one who had a few but went back to work after each one for just long enough to get maternity leave, one who talked work into giving her a full time positionn and then got pregnant straight away and openly said she'd tell work she was going back full time just to get what she wanted but was only going back part time.

ita wrong fpr emplyers to discriminate but women who take advantage of them must make them wary :/

Until 2 years ago I was the same weight as you. I am also in my prime child bearing years, and am a bit plain looking as well.

Hello girlfriend!!!!!!!!! No one could ever accuse you of being plain, far from it.....................so strike that one off the record.

Kingled,you are quite right about your confidence and the ability to put that across well being of paramount importance.

Good luck with your job hunting and if losing weight is the thing that gives you more confidence then go for it but only do it for you not for some prospective employer. I know I feel so much better when I weigh less, I even walk differently but I am only dieting for me.

You have done so well so far you have already lost nearly 2 stones.

Back