Too much exercise?

Hazelnut

As it's the holidays and it's light quite early in the morning, I've been trying to kickstart my diet by getting in extra exercise. Nothing excessive- I normally go for a three mile brisk walk each morning.

I'm just a bit worried because I won't be able to keep that up once I go back to uni, I will still be exercising but probably cut back to half an hour, and possibly not quite every day.

Will I be doing any damage, like getting my body used to the exercise, which might stop me losing weight or maintaining my size? If so, I'd rather cut back now and lose it a bit more slowly.

I'm not losing drastically fast anyway- only about 3lbs a week.

ONLY about 3lbs a week- I WISH I could lose that much!?! Anyway, no, it won't do your body any harm, you're toning up as you lose which means when you get to your target you (hopefully) won't have any excess skin that makes you look bigger than you are? When you cut back on your exercise, it will probably mean your loss will slow down a little, but not much. Do as much as you can now, it'll keep you motivated, and you never know, you might find ways to keep it up when you return?

Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant about the 3lbs, and that's not how I feel about it anyway- it makes me feel bouncy and happy every time I get on the scales! But I didn't want to give the impression I was on some sort of crash diet where I was losing loads every week.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep going then. I should be able to keep it up till the middle of September anyway, so even if I have to cut down then I should hopefully have made a lot of progress by then.

there isnt such a thing as too much exercise :character00116:....any exercise will do your body good :D

BUT

you will get to a point where your weight loss will stop and may even gain a little...as you increase your muscle mass and loose your fat mass.

So if you are purely watching your weight...then please dont be dis hartened if it slows...maybe you should change to measurements also.:D

Thanks I'll bear that in mind :)

I suppose I was worried that too much exercise somehow equated to too little food... also Natalie Cassidy, who was an inspiration, apparently couldn't keep up with the exercise regime she needed to maintain her size.

we all have a natural size....

as much as we dont like to admit it...:hide:

That's true, I never thought she looked quite right at size eight.

I'm definitely over my natural size at the moment, whatever it might be! So I'll just go for it and see where it takes me :)

you know when you have gone too far...cus you start to look like a lollypop :D

ROFL

Agreed keep up with the exercise, walking is the best all over exercise to do. Jogging is fantastic for results but really bad for your joints.

When you go back to uni still find the time for the exercise even if you have to do less minutes but still regularly! totty is correct that the loss's will slow but this is good also as you are preparing your body for long life eating and exercise habits. Every now and then throw in a real intensive workout or sport to spur your body back into action.

Your doing fabulous!
Bren
XX

You'll not gain too much 'muscle' walking, but its great for toning up?
I totally agree with Totty- everyone has a 'natural' size. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and went 'down' (LOL!) to a size 12-14/ 10 1/2stone, and everyone raved about how I wasn't to lose anymore, I was thin enough blah blah blah. I was still clinically overweight! Anyway, I settled at a size 14 and around 10 1/2-11stone so I figure thats 'my' size- ie. one I'll be able to maintain without any major starvation/exercise- so thats my goal this time! ;P

You'll not gain too much 'muscle' walking, but its great for toning up?
I totally agree with Totty- everyone has a 'natural' size. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and went 'down' (LOL!) to a size 12-14/ 10 1/2stone, and everyone raved about how I wasn't to lose anymore, I was thin enough blah blah blah. I was still clinically overweight! Anyway, I settled at a size 14 and around 10 1/2-11stone so I figure thats 'my' size- ie. one I'll be able to maintain without any major starvation/exercise- so thats my goal this time! ;P

agreed....i had exactly the same when i went down to around 10 1/2 stone...people were askin if i had been ill:eek:

to me i looked fine!!!....have now settled(ish) at a size 12:)

No one's ever asked me if I was ill.......just if I'm pregnant :giggle:. But I am ready for those people who tell me to stop dieting. Yeah, yeah I will say and keep going until I am happy.

Exercise is key. Muscle is a friend as it burns energy even as we sleep. It is the only thing that can keep the weight off. Always move your butt at any opportunity you get. The scales are fickle.

What happened to Natalie Cassidy? Is she putting it on again because of lack of exercise?

I haven't read the articles, but I heard she was pushing herself very hard to stay that thin, and is sick of it now. She hasn't put it all back on, not yet anyway.

I've been accused of being pregnant! I was sitting at someone else's desk and they had an ultrasound scan pinned to their noticeboard, so I think it was more that than my own weight! Hope so anyway.

Yeah, I just read in yesterday's paper that she is saying she is sick of being thin.

I went to the gym yesterday and did my regular workout and my legs really ache. Never had that before. Strange.

I have a way you could lose more wieght, with less time. you will not need those walks, or hour long excersises or walks or anything. its called HIIT, and if you wanna know more, please reply.
You know, I'm actually pretty happy with the way I'm doing things. It's working for me, I'm losing a sensible amount of weight, and I feel comfortable with it.

Thanks for the offer though :)

I have a way you could lose more wieght, with less time. you will not need those walks, or hour long excersises or walks or anything. its called HIIT, and if you wanna know more, please reply.

High intensity interval training :D

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO...:whacky068:

although i dont recommend it unless you know what your doing...or with a trainer...:)

Interesting. I do interval training on the treadmill 3 times a week. Is it like that? So not on a treadmill but outside? How would you start? I can only jog for about 5 minutes, and don't know whether I could "sprint"! (that is not a word I use often).

Had a go today. It was pretty good. Random I can do. I walked, then jogged for a bit and then ran as hard as I could, and back to a very slow jog and then sprint. I probably only sprinted for a bout 30 seconds, but it was certainly random. Interesting.

Back