Too much water

fluffybluecat

Dieter dies from drinking water

5 hours 42 mins ago

A dieting company has defended its programme after a woman died from drinking four litres of water in under two hours. Skip related content
Related photos / videos

3395273459-dieter-dies-drinking-water.jpg
Dieter dies from drinking water

LighterLife said the death of Jacqueline Henson, 40, was a tragic accident and stressed she had been given proper advice on how much water to consume.
Mrs Henson, who weighed about 14st at the start of the diet, collapsed in the bathroom of her home in Almondbury, Huddersfield, last year after consuming the water.
Death was caused by cerebral oedema - swelling of the brain.
Huddersfield Coroner's Court was told the mother-of-five died three weeks into the diet.
West Yorkshire Coroner Roger Whittaker recorded a verdict of accidental death at Wednesday's inquest and said he was satisfied that the company had given clear guidance on how much water to consume.
He said no-one should drink water in the quantities involved over such a short period.
A spokesman for LighterLife said: "We were so sorry to hear about Jacqueline and extend our sympathies to her family.
"Our programme gives clear guidance that water should be consumed regularly over the course of the day, and the coroner confirmed that the events were a tragic accident."
The diet is aimed at people who are three or more stones overweight and involves dieters consuming just 500 calories a day for 12 weeks by replacing meals with shakes, soups and bars, as well as drinking water.
The recommended daily calorie intake for women is about 2,000 calories.

While that is very tragic, it annoys me that they are so quick to blame LL.

4l in 2 hours is obviously excessive and unless a LL counsellor poured it down the woman's throat, it is not their fault.

People are so quick to criticise VLCDs. Perhaps they would rather we all died of obesity related things instead.

It's such a sad story though :(

That poor woman - I HAD wondered whether she had a proper medical check up before she embarked on the diet. I think the key to this is moderation. I think 4 litres in one day is too much for anyone, let alone anyone on a VLCD. I get thru about 2 litres but sometimes less and mostly I have swapped it for tea because I am too cold.

I think if you do ANY drastic diet, you take a gamble. There are so many more obesity related diseases and deaths than there are in diets and I think it is down to properly monitoring your weight loss programs. I figured I had far more to gain by losing weight than the otherway round.

My heart goes out to her family though :-/

I agree with the above comments but also think it should be made plain and clear the dangers of drinking too much water in a short period of time. Most people know this already, but as this case points out, not everyone does.

It pisses me off hugely that vlcd diets get such bad press. They always focus on the (very) few people who have problems on the plans, rather than the thousands of success stories. Most counsellors will highlight the dangers of binge drinking water at the very first meeting (or even before) and it is reiterated throughout the program. I read about a guy who was a runner a while ago and he got dehydrated after running, drank too much water too quickly and was either very ill or died (cant remember which). Does that mean that running is bad for you? Grrrrrrr. x

I don't understand this bad publicity but I do however understand the families need to blame someone. They wouldn't blame the person that died, obviously, and a VLCD diet is an easy target. It may sound wrong to some people but if I was her family I would want to blame someone too and it wouldn't be her..

It's very sad someone died like this, I hope her family can find peace and I wish them strength in this time. I hope this warns people who try to drink too much water in a short period of time; spread it out and you will be okay!

xx

Back