TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

slimmersally said:
I've been both busy and lurking. Did my 26 mile walk along Offa's Dyke last Saturday in just over 8 hours then came home and signed up for the Paris Marathon. I ate a lot of carbs in the lead up to the walk and chowed down on flapjacks during the walk, but I had loads of energy and felt brilliant. All this resulted in a 2.5lb gain for the week, which put me 1.5lb over target but still in the zone!! Started boot camp last night and still doing loads of walking, running and gym as well as being really busy at work. So all is good for me in this balancing act of maintaining.

For me it's all about focus and being realistic about what you can achieve. Healthy eating and exercise go hand in hand, but you need fuel in your body to exercise effectively. Short cuts result in short term losses. The focus needs to be on long term changes, and I mean life. By signing up for the marathon walk back in January, I had 8 months to work towards my goal. I now have 8 months before my marathon run. I'll be doing boot camp once a week for 10 weeks before my proper marathon training starts in December. Small steps, repeated consistently is what is needed. Working towards a medium term goal helps me to stay focused and keep the weight off.

That's where I'm at . . .

Wow Sally that's an amazing achievement and your so right it is long term we need to think of more than focusing on the minor blips we all have from time to time.

For u daily weighers I downloaded an app called weight diary. You input your weight everyday and it gives you an average loss/gain for that week, as we all know that our weight can fluctuate for lots of reasons. I've found it useful

Sally that's amazing :)

Am debating downloading weight diary, lol, will it make me even more addicted to getting weighed though?

I'm also wondering about whether to stop going to SW and seeing my personal trainer friend once a month instead, he's really good and texts me all the time anyway, I don't stay to the SW classes so literally pay £20 a month to get weighed, whereas I can pay him 30 for a session where he looks at everything and helps me with work outs etc, am wondering whether to start texting him a photo of the scales at a set time each week as my weekly WI instead..

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Am debating downloading weight diary, lol, will it make me even more addicted to getting weighed though?

I'm also wondering about whether to stop going to SW and seeing my personal trainer friend once a month instead, he's really good and texts me all the time anyway, I don't stay to the SW classes so literally pay £20 a month to get weighed, whereas I can pay him 30 for a session where he looks at everything and helps me with work outs etc, am wondering whether to start texting him a photo of the scales at a set time each week as my weekly WI instead..

I don't understand why people pay to go to Slimming World but don't stay to group - that's the bit you're paying for. I always stay to group, even now I'm at target. If you don't like the group or consultant then find another one. If the time doesn't suit then find a group with a time that does. Image Therapy helps me so much - ideas, encouragement and motivation. Whatever plan you're on you have to give it 100%. If you really don't want to stay to group then why bother paying to weigh in? You know the plan so keep following it and use your personal trainer. The personal trainer route seems a more cost effective option if it works for you.

Have you taken measurements? I have mine done at the gym every 10 weeks, along with %fat measurement, and this is also very motivating.

I also don't get the daily weighing thing. Sometimes I weigh in at home mid-week, but the more I do it the more obsessive it becomes. I would avoid downloading the app for that reason, but everyone is different and has different approaches to motivating themselves.

Good luck :)

Thanks Sally, to be honest I don't enjoy the group at all, have stayed a couple of times, but I have a deal with my partner that we each get 2 slots a week to do something in the evening and one weekend morning I'd rather go to the gym with mine, so I tend to go to class at 6pm on the way home with the kids and just WI.

I like weighing in weekly but could do that at home really, I just pay as it makes me go really.

Yes I've had my measurements done twice now and have lost, I think I might just make a regular agreement with the PT instead

Thanks Sally, to be honest I don't enjoy the group at all, have stayed a couple of times, but I have a deal with my partner that we each get 2 slots a week to do something in the evening and one weekend morning I'd rather go to the gym with mine, so I tend to go to class at 6pm on the way home with the kids and just WI.

I like weighing in weekly but could do that at home really, I just pay as it makes me go really.

Yes I've had my measurements done twice now and have lost, I think I might just make a regular agreement with the PT instead

Time is precious and we need to use it wisely. I would choose the gym too!

I have a deal with my husband too. We agree not to have children and do whatever we want!!!!

You know already, of course, but your gut is a long elastic tube. Stuff goes in one end, and stuff comes out the other. Water and salt also seep out of the skin, and some gases and volatile chemicals go out through the lungs.

Any change in your weight since the last time you weighed yourself is simply the difference between what you put in and what came out through various means. Unless you want to go to the extremes of weighing all your food (easy), weighing all the waste output (easy, but disgusting), weighing all your sweat (you'd have to spend the day in a spacesuit) and weighing all the carbon dioxide you breathe out (you'd have to spend the day in a spacesuit, and connected to a big gas canister) you won't be able to know exactly how much weight you've lost in each of those categories.

That's why weighing yourself daily is pointless for tracking weight gain (although I appreciate you do it for other reasons), because unless you can get yourself to exactly the same state of hydration, glycogen storage level, glucose level and gut content mass for each weigh in, you'll miss the loss from the fat tissues in amongst the 'noise'. Like trying to hear your phone ring when you're in the front row of an Iron Maiden concert.

Weres science boy at? Ive got a question hehe ;)
How can u lose 4lbs in 2 days?? Im figuring it was water retention after my weeks binging but would love to know the answer if you know it xx

I searched back through the thread to find this post of Smiley's. It was in response to Lou's daily weighing dilemma, but sort of answers your question. It's as good as I could come up with now that him and Rod have both gone AWOL! I'll keep looking though, as I think there is a more relevant one in there somewhere . . .

slimmersally said:
I searched back through the thread to find this post of Smiley's. It was in response to Lou's daily weighing dilemma, but sort of answers your question. It's as good as I could come up with now that him and Rod have both gone AWOL! I'll keep looking though, as I think there is a more relevant one in there somewhere . . .

Ta :) yeah i remember that post after re reading it xx cant believe they hav disappeared lol

Dunno who told you that, sparty, but it's a complete crock.

Here's what makes up your mass (mass is essentially the same as weight, unless you leave the planet)

1) Skeleton - hardly changes at all once you stop growing between age 21-25
2) Organs - change slightly with weight loss and exercise (your heart will get bigger, your liver will get smaller) but only in the order of ounces
3) Muscle - Built from the protein you eat, and increases SIGNIFICANTLY with exercise levels. A very fit person will have up to 20kg more than a sedentary person, professional athletes between 20-30kg more and bodybuilders up to 40kg more.
4) Bodily fluids - blood, lymph, stored glycogen. Can vary a lot from day to day depending on nutrition and hydration, up to 2kgs
5) Residual gut contents - what you ate that you haven't excreted yet. Can be quite a fair amount sometimes, maybe a kilo.
6) Fat tissue - yeah, that's why we're all here. Technically it's a long term energy store for your body, so if you eat less calories than you use, it will disappear.

I'm not sure how fit you were before, but I know that you're heading towards the 'very fit' level now. Look at number 3 - if you just sat in the office all day and sat in front of the telly all night before you started your life changes, then you're going to gain TWENTY KILOS of weight in the form of muscle. And that's all good stuff - you don't want it to be depressing you, you should feel ON FIRE about it.

My advice (I think I said this before) to you is to stop weighing yourself. You've become a slave to a set of scales, instead of concentrating on how you look and feel. Start measuring yourself in other ways - inches around the waist and hips are good, since you can't build up muscle there. And measure how fit you are - find out how many sit ups, press ups you can do in a minute, how fast you can run a mile, how much you can bench press or bicep curl. Write them down in a notebook instead of your weight, then try and beat them every week.

And please, please, please, if you do drop to 1200 calories, make sure you get enough protein, and take a good multivitamin (e.g. Centrum) every day.

This is the one I was thinking about Emma . . . hope it helps!

Morning Emma. I'm doing rubbish at the minute. I'm so busy I'm really out of my routine, I've not lost anything this week but I'm not surprised, I've not eaten great. Tomorrow I have a spare day so I can go through all my
Cupboards and everything and plan my meals for the week. Think I'm joining Sw Tuesday I need to add a bit of extra discipline to the mix to get this last stone off.

Hi Emma,

I'm ok, missed the gym this morning as have been feeling really bad with this cough, so spent the morning cooking up some nice veggie soup and a squash and bean stew so I have no excuse for not taking my lunches to work.

Then have been out swimming and the park with the kids, as well as housework, so pretty active really.

I think I've decided to stop going to SW class and have asked to have a monthly session with my personal trainer instead, I just feel like exercise is really important to me right now.

I joined this a few weeks ago and had some tough love which has actually been really posistive. I have been naughty this weekend but have been the best I have been in about five years over the last few weeks so I am getting straight back to the gym tomorrow! The biggest change is that after I ate the rubbish It made me feel guilty and I am so pleased! I have gotten so used to feelin sorry for myself that I didn't take responsibility for what i put in my mouth but now that's started to change! Just like to say thank you faery_lights you took the time to reply and the next night I ate naughty food I felt so bad that someone had taken the time to send a response and I hadn't even tried! So I have really really tried since then and have lost 6 pound so far!! So my goals are to lose another 1 stone 6 pound by christmas! When you do fall off the wagon it's difficult to get back onto the diet any advise? I have planne day meals which helps and scheduled e gym? What does everyone else do?

I joined this a few weeks ago and had some tough love which has actually been really posistive. I have been naughty this weekend but have been the best I have been in about five years over the last few weeks so I am getting straight back to the gym tomorrow! The biggest change is that after I ate the rubbish It made me feel guilty and I am so pleased! I have gotten so used to feelin sorry for myself that I didn't take responsibility for what i put in my mouth but now that's started to change! Just like to say thank you faery_lights you took the time to reply and the next night I ate naughty food I felt so bad that someone had taken the time to send a response and I hadn't even tried! So I have really really tried since then and have lost 6 pound so far!! So my goals are to lose another 1 stone 6 pound by christmas! When you do fall off the wagon it's difficult to get back onto the diet any advise? I have planne day meals which helps and scheduled e gym? What does everyone else do?

The longer you do it, the easier it is to get back on it. You get used to enjoying the healthy feeling and the mistakes become less frequent as the healthy lifestyle becomes normal. Instead of messing up a whole day or week, you'll mess up a meal instead and then get back on it. For example, I went way over my calories on Saturday. A combination of being out of my routine and being lazy. But yesterday, I ate 3 sensible meals, exercised, drank loads of water and I weighed this morning and I am 2lbs down from last week. Get your head in the game and don't see the mistakes as a faliure. They are a tiny detour on what is a long journey. It's not the mistakes that matter, as opposed to how you deal with them.

So, Lou is back to her pre-preggo weight and I am pleased to say I am now back to my pre-GCSE weight! 12st 6lbs. Feeling pretty chuffed- the last time I weighed this much I was 14. I did mess up on Saturday but I know I won't this week. I had a serious chat with myself yesterday and I realise that snacking is my downfall, particularly after tea. I reckon this is mostly psychological and from habit so my goal is to not eat after dinner OR whilst watching TV for the next three weeks. I think if I can break those associations, I'll find things a lot easier to manage.

I'll go back through the post later! :)

faery_lights said:
The longer you do it, the easier it is to get back on it. You get used to enjoying the healthy feeling and the mistakes become less frequent as the healthy lifestyle becomes normal. Instead of messing up a whole day or week, you'll mess up a meal instead and then get back on it. For example, I went way over my calories on Saturday. A combination of being out of my routine and being lazy. But yesterday, I ate 3 sensible meals, exercised, drank loads of water and I weighed this morning and I am 2lbs down from last week. Get your head in the game and don't see the mistakes as a faliure. They are a tiny detour on what is a long journey. It's not the mistakes that matter, as opposed to how you deal with them.

So, Lou is back to her pre-preggo weight and I am pleased to say I am now back to my pre-GCSE weight! 12st 6lbs. Feeling pretty chuffed- the last time I weighed this much I was 14. I did mess up on Saturday but I know I won't this week. I had a serious chat with myself yesterday and I realise that snacking is my downfall, particularly after tea. I reckon this is mostly psychological and from habit so my goal is to not eat after dinner OR whilst watching TV for the next three weeks. I think if I can break those associations, I'll find things a lot easier to manage.

I'll go back through the post later! :)

Oh that's brilliant what an Achievement hun!!!

I've been both busy and lurking. Did my 26 mile walk along Offa's Dyke last Saturday in just over 8 hours then came home and signed up for the Paris Marathon. I ate a lot of carbs in the lead up to the walk and chowed down on flapjacks during the walk, but I had loads of energy and felt brilliant. All this resulted in a 2.5lb gain for the week, which put me 1.5lb over target but still in the zone!! Started boot camp last night and still doing loads of walking, running and gym as well as being really busy at work. So all is good for me in this balancing act of maintaining.

For me it's all about focus and being realistic about what you can achieve. Healthy eating and exercise go hand in hand, but you need fuel in your body to exercise effectively. Short cuts result in short term losses. The focus needs to be on long term changes, and I mean life. By signing up for the marathon walk back in January, I had 8 months to work towards my goal. I now have 8 months before my marathon run. I'll be doing boot camp once a week for 10 weeks before my proper marathon training starts in December. Small steps, repeated consistently is what is needed. Working towards a medium term goal helps me to stay focused and keep the weight off.

That's where I'm at . . .

Love it Sally! I always really enjoy reading your post. It's like a little glimpse of the future. I would love to do a walking marathon. I reckon I could manage it and it'd be a great challenge- no idea if they exist in Korea though! Maybe something I can google.

I know you've made the choice, but I'm glad- I would have gone with the PT too. If you are only paying your money to get weighed, it seems a bit pointless really. I have personally never done the group thing- I was always too shy before and now I'm not as shy, I'm just happy to keep plodding along doing what I am doing. :) Let us know how you progress.

Morning Emma. I'm doing rubbish at the minute. I'm so busy I'm really out of my routine, I've not lost anything this week but I'm not surprised, I've not eaten great. Tomorrow I have a spare day so I can go through all my
Cupboards and everything and plan my meals for the week. Think I'm joining Sw Tuesday I need to add a bit of extra discipline to the mix to get this last stone off.

Well, I am firstly glad you are back and I am very chuffed about your 3lbs. Slimming World sounds like a sensible idea for maintenance- maybe it's something I will consider.

Anyway, as for me, I have decided to edit my Christmas Goal. It was 12st 2lbs and now being 12st 6lbs, I think it became obvious that I would hit it ahead of time. So I have edited my goal down to 11st 7lbs. I am actually starting to get a bit nervous about it- I think the idea of being in the 11s is a bit scary/exciting for me, but I can see it approaching. I also now have my 2 1/2 stone badge and hit my October Goal 3 weeks early! I am giving myself until November 12th to get to 12st exactly- that gives me time to go to Japan, anticipates any gain and then lose 1lb a week.

As I mentioned before, my new eating goal is preventing snacking, particularly after dinner and whilst watching TV. It apparently takes 21 days to make or break a habit so, that's my mini goal. No snacking for 3 weeks. I think if I can make it through the 3 weeks, it will become a great deal easier. At least this is my theory. That time frame also includes my Japan trip so I'll be aiming to only eat three meals a day whilst on holiday! I am hopeful that cracking those things will the process smoother as it's the area I keep tripping up on.

Anyway, it's the start of a new week and I hope it's productive and successful for all of you. And I hope Smiley, Rod and Bonnie show their faces again. :)

How great that you get to edit your Xmas goal down Faery, am hoping I can do the same.

I have decided to WI on a Monday morning at home for now. It just feels right to be doing it after the weekend as that's the time I'm most likely to make naughty food choices, plus it will hopefully motivate me for the week, my PT sent me my schedule last week and I need to do min 3 workouts, so I need to be really disciplined about going to the gym anytime I can :)

Morning bassers!

Yesterday was not a good day for me. I am extremely skint and cant afford to do a healthy food shop this week so my salad/fruit and veg intake won't be as good as it has been recently. Coupled with this were a party, erratic working patterns for my bf (who I have to give lifts to at weekends) and a lack of willpower. The party literally had the most unhealthy food possible and instead of not eating until I got home, which i would have done a week or two ago, I ate what was on offer. Then I didn't really have a proper dinner because my bf had eaten a curry the night before so I had the leftovers.

I have kept making little slips the past few days and giving myself a good talking to and slap round the head and really trying to get back on track once I had realised my mistakes. I have to say in months gone by i would have binged big time - but i did manage to rein it in a certain amount. But regardless, As a result my head is now sporting a rather fetching lump and that pesky pound is still on.

All of what I have just said is pathetic excuses but I had to write them down to see just how useless I have been. Small slips add up to a bigger slip and I WILL NOT let this defeat me.

Like faery, I am going to get myself some new habits. So this morning I walked to the station which is 2 miles away from my house. I will be doing this every day now as a minimum for my exercise. Then on the way home I will either walk or make myself go for a 30 minute jog when I get in. I feel like I have recovered enough from my operation to do this now so I'm going to give it a shot. Hopefully the introduction of exercise will shift that pound and help start to get me trim for my holiday which is fast approaching now.

Can I just say I am immensely proud of all you ladies for your losses. Well done!!! Some really good ones the last week or so and lots of positivity and determination filtering through. Imagine how many pounds we have lost between us!?!! Tough love has been the changing of me and my eating habits and I won't give up this time. I know full well what i need to do and you ladies have given me that inspiration. So thank you all.

Onwards and downwards!

Back