TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

My anniversary meal tonight, I've rang the restaurant and ordered our sharer steak, which is great as I will eat less and hubby more. We're going to share some chips I wanted a salad but they don't do side salads :/ although I will ask when I get there if they can make an exception. I've planned for 1 beer and 1 mojito cocktail and that's it. The rest of my cals will see me through today.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Jezzi, well done on dealing with something so tough without comfort eating. That must have been really tough

Ali, thanks for your post on not drinking. It really helped me last night. I was able to have one shot of soju (Korean rice spirit) within my calorie allowance and nothing else. I wasn't able to dance as vigourously as I liked however because my leggings kept falling down- they were too big and went in the bin this morning!

Hope you guys are all okay with the weather back in the UK. My home village is flooded!

I hope everyone at home is safe - flooding is horrible.

It's amazing when you get resolute that thin is more important than immediate gratification, how one can say no to alcohol. I'm glad you danced, and loved the fract that your trews were too loose. I went to some friends on sat night and danced and danced - it didn't matter that I was sober. Somehow I got over it and just had a lovely time. Well done, Hannah!

Well done Jezzi. Last week in my sw group I was amazed by the excuses people gave for their poor results: my daughter had a baby was one, my mother is ill was another and "i'd like to join you on your alcohol free July challenge but it's my birthday this month". Thank you Jezzi for showing us all how even in the most awful circumstances we can stay on plan. Food and alcohol will always be there but we have the power to make choices.

I second that, Sally. Thank you, Jezzi for showing that we can stay on plan - I've really appreciated your posts.
And thank you to Sally for underlining that it's always a choice.

I was at the clinic a few months ago and a woman said she hand't stayed on plan as she'd had family in hospital. All I could think is that shakes are really good to have when family is ill as you can take them in your handbag and dont have to have horrible hospital canteen food. In fact, she'd made a decsiion not to stay on plan. To me, it's ok to make a decision either way. But you have to take responsibility - it is your decision, not something forced on you. That's why I like hanging out with the Bassers - it just underpins my resolve. Thank you guys!

My anniversary meal tonight, I've rang the restaurant and ordered our sharer steak, which is great as I will eat less and hubby more. We're going to share some chips I wanted a salad but they don't do side salads :/ although I will ask when I get there if they can make an exception. I've planned for 1 beer and 1 mojito cocktail and that's it. The rest of my cals will see me through today.

Go, Lou! You are shimmying your way to goal - and congratulations on leavig obese behind you with that glittery BMI of 24.8! Have a lovely time.

Morning All - great planning Lou for your anniversary meal. Hope you have a lovely day and meal out. If the restaurant can't manage a salad I'd be inclined to take one in a tupperware box and tip it onto your plate. Its not like you didn't ask them, is it?!

I very rarely drink so no need for me to worry about incorporating alcohol into my diet. But for our last Christmas party (the last time I drank) instead of Baileys which I would have normally had, I trained myself to like Morgans and Diet Coke - its ok and it got me pleasantly tipsy which is what's required at these things - its a hard drinking culture where I stay! :rolleyes:

Afternoon Rod and everyone else.
Sorry I've been awol - really busy at the mo. And not read back either - over 18 pages in 6 days! Phew !!!!

But also, just to let you know. I will be "withdrawing" from Minis quite a lot over the coming few weeks.
I'll be flitting backwards and forwards to the UK to help mum get ready for her move - she's panicking a lot about it
[she has dementia and is moving to a retirement flat after 35 years in her current house - god help me sorting out her acquired "treasures"]

Plus it's summer and we now have a hoard of guests at both apartments starting next Saturday.
So we're off to Roda on Thursday for 3 days and then I fly back to the UK on Sunday 15th for 8 days - no internet connection when I'm at mums.

I'll be thinking of you all even when I'm missing. Just won't get time to post.

Keep going with the Tough Love, get some great losses and I'll join you again when I can.

PS gained ½lb last week due to a huge paella and lots of rice on Sunday.
Been back on it this week but looking like a STS for tomorrow.

Hi Pomette - hope everything goes as smoothly as it can. I also care for an elderly relative and know how difficult it can be at times. When my late Mum had to move we adopted an approach where she stuck a label onto all the furniture she wanted to take with her (she was moving into a much smaller place) and then we worked together on what was left. She quite enjoyed that as she'd seen them do it on the telly on one of these makeover shows so i think she thought she was on that! :) Bless her. She felt much better when she knew what was going with her so when it came to sorting through the piles of accumulated stuff it was much easier as she wasn't overly bothered about it.

Sending love and positive vibes to you - and I know you will hold steady on the grub. Just remember to bring a few jumpers and some wellies - you might feel the cold and damp a little! :D

Good luck, Pommette. We moved my MIL earlier this year. My sister in law had bullied her and cleared stuff out without her agreement. It took some days of negotiation to decide what to take with us. She's in serious pain from various types of arthritis. We've ended up with lots of boxes full of things she didn't want to part with in the second bedroom in her flat. The bed is up against the wall - no room to have it down. The first few nights she was here, I slept on the floor in the living room until we got the phone connected and the emergency alarm in place. She's agreed a few things be given away since she's been here. I've taken the view that it's her flat and her things and haven't made her get rid of them.

Back to weight - she obviously thought I was too fat. She doesn't seem to have noticed I'm 1/3 the size. She's completely self focussed - and not aware of the issues in other people's lives. I eat savoury sachets cooked in an ommlette pan and sometimes have an Alizonne shake at her new flat. She continues to offer me biscuits, Clarinco mints, small and big magnum icecreams, cheese cake etc whenever I'm there. I am so proud of myself for shopping for lots of sweet treats for her and restocking her biscuit box - and not snaffling some or saying yes please!

Ok. I've had less meal but more drink. I'm having a great rare night with hubby and I'll make up for it tomorrow but if you want to tell me off go for it

OMG You have let the whole team down! You are our inspiration, the hardest of task masters and here you are enjoying yourself with your husband on your anniversary. Wait till Rod returns. He would never allow it.

Lol - have a great night and enjoy yourself. Life is to be lived and you are the queen of balance.

Wee, 1.6lbs lost this week! Only 1lb left until my August target-I am hoping to smash that in a week!

Hope you had a good time Lou! You prepared so go you!

I need this! It's taken me four months to lose 9.5lbs, pathetic I know. I hate my body but I just keep eating, my losses are so slow. I exercise a lot as well which is even worse, imagine how much I must be eating to be losing 3lbs a month...someone give me a kick up the backside please! Don't hold back!

Jeez, fresh meat on a monday morning after a weekend with 5 hours sleep in it...you must be mental

Firstly I've always advised people with dodgy user names to change them to something positive - yours already is, but you don't walk the walk do you

I've seen your sort come and go on this thread, those that hang seem to get a grip and get on with it, fear of failing and having the world scoff at you is the most powerful motivational tool there is.

you've found it, you gonna use it?

I'll tell you something for nothing, 9lb in 4 months is just an awful, demotivating thing in itself - you are either enjoying your life as is (which is fine), in acceptance of your image or more likely, woefully indisciplined and inside screaming for help

We'll help, but that comes with a price tag. You need to pay in effort, willpower and honesty

I don't have all the answers (in fact I rarely have any) but what I will do is offer to tell you that the way you are going will mean you will soon fall off. You need a motivaitonal drop in weight desperately and you need to give this FOUR WEEKS

plan your plan, whatever your plan is and plan to lose 8lbs by 9th August. Plan this today. Not tomorrow, not next wednesday, right now.

Write down everything you will eat and drink. Forward plan your social diary/events/festivals/etc etc and PLAN to AVOID PITFALLS

you will lose the 8lb, you can't not

a few tips

1) log in to TL thread every day and ignore everything else - you don't need other threads telling you that it's "ok never mind - just start again tomorrow"
2) ditch alcohol completely, my thoughts are well documented on the demon
3) constant, slightly painful pressure on yourself will pay off in a fortnight
4) reduce the exercise - you are exercising a lot and eating to keep up with it - start the other way around - sort the grub first, then exercise - 80% of success will be diet, the exercise is 20% of the battle - I still lose some weeks when my exercise efforts are woeful
5) listen to the ladies here who know the score on the different diet plans - I don't
6) conquer your mind. your hands put the food in your mouth. Get your mind to control your hands. your disciplined side will soon win 99% of the small battles.

thats enough for now, you can take all this and run with it, you can read it and say FRO and do your own thing, or you can sit and cry about the 9lbs in four months and wonder where you went wrong and if it will ever go right

you can choose to change your nonsense right now if you like

alternatively log on in a month and tell us you've lost another half a pound, YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!

Ok so I went ott on the booze last night. I normally stick to 1200-1500 cals a day but had in excess of 2000. I lost control celebrating but we had a fantastic night and it was worth it. Im back in control today. I have a meal tomorrow and Wednesday and have decided not to drink as I think I'll be in for a gain anyway this week which I'm ok with as I'll get it off again next week but I don't want it to be a big gain. I'm also at a hen do Saturday and were going to red hot buffet do I need to do some research I hear it's all very fattening though :/ I'm with family Saturday so will be limiting alcohol massively and it won't be an issue. Onwards and downwards.

conlou1 said:
Ok so I went ott on the booze last night. I normally stick to 1200-1500 cals a day but had in excess of 2000. I lost control celebrating but we had a fantastic night and it was worth it. Im back in control today. I have a meal tomorrow and Wednesday and have decided not to drink as I think I'll be in for a gain anyway this week which I'm ok with as I'll get it off again next week but I don't want it to be a big gain. I'm also at a hen do Saturday and were going to red hot buffet do I need to do some research I hear it's all very fattening though :/ I'm with family Saturday so will be limiting alcohol massively and it won't be an issue. Onwards and downwards.

I would like to add that I didn't come home and pig out though which is normal port of call when drunk so in chuffed I still kept control of food even when drunk!!!

Come on Rod - you don't get let off that easy!! Was your weekend on plan or are you going to fess up so we can dish out some TL??

Hope you had a good weekend Rod.

Just chipping in with a very hard-earned 2p on the even numbers...
2) ditch alcohol completely, my thoughts are well documented on the demon
I gave up completely a couple of years ago, because I realised that I was drinking alone, and it didn't make my happy in any way, and I didn't like the person I was when I was drunk. After a year teetotal I starting drinking again, but only in very small amounts and proper social occasions. Nobody thought I was a killjoy, and it saved me a lot of money, and improved my health no end.
4) reduce the exercise - you are exercising a lot and eating to keep up with it - start the other way around - sort the grub first, then exercise - 80% of success will be diet, the exercise is 20% of the battle - I still lose some weeks when my exercise efforts are woeful
They key with exercise is to do the right sort of exercise - you need to build up lovely muscle that will increase your basal metabolic rate, so you can diet in your sleep. Bad exercise (e.g. jogging rather than running, or doing a feeble breaststroke in the granny lane) will damage your body, and a purely aerobic programme will cause you to LOSE muscle mass because your body will start to get rid of your muscle so that it's less to carry around. Do some strength training - you won't end up looking like Arnie or Jodie Marsh unless you go to the extremes that they do, you'll just look sleek and sexy.
6) conquer your mind. your hands put the food in your mouth. Get your mind to control your hands. your disciplined side will soon win 99% of the small battles.
Being on a 100% food replacement diet, this is the hardest bit. I still cook for the family, and the 'automatic feeding' is the hardest thing to control - last night I nearly snaffled a spare roast potato! One of the things I've realised now that I can't eat at all is just how much extra stuff you can end up eating, especially if you're a parent cooking family meals - if you think about popping in that tattie, but you've already got four on the plate. And you have to get in the habit of putting leftovers in the bin or in the dog.

If you're following Rod's rules, why not add Smiley's Golden Rule - no snacking between meals, including fizzy drinks or sugary tea and coffee. Get all your calories at meal times, and get nothing inbetween.

I definitely agree with you Rod about tough love- it's an approach that is certainly helping me. It took me 3 months to lose 9lbs. I have been Calorie counting and tough loving for 3 weeks- 10.5lbs gone in that time.

The calorie counting is helping me control the food, this thread helps me stay motivated and focus on my goals and why I am doing this. It has really bolstered my self-belief that I can do this and helped me cut all the excuses and snacking out. Hooray for tough love.

Glad you had fun Lou and glad you are back on the bandwagon today. Eating out is one of the hardest things about this process!

And yes Rod, how did you do? :)

Back