TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Im signing up for this thread. Ive been faffing about too long. Ive done well on my VLCD but then had some time off and keep making excuses. Restarted on Monday morning, so far, so good :)

Ive set myself a mini target for my holiday next month, actually its a month today, when Ill be taking a week off. Got to be 100% between now and then though

you're gonna love it here Starlight, this is the action zone - you can keep an eye on Lou the Terrible and we can keep an eye on you, the waverer

love you lots, now buckle down or I'll set GF and Exi on you

Awesomeness Hannah!

It's really funny you should write this today SmileyMan- I just got back from a swim. That might not sound like a big deal in itself but it's first time I have ever exercised alone in public. Ever. I've swam with friends before but never alone. I spent all day psyching myself up for it, muttering at my desk 'I AM going swimming' when my swimming buddy cancelled.

The thing is, is that my self-esteem is pretty shot too. Or it was- this journey is giving me much more confidence. Today it gave me the confidence to walk into that swimming pool and go for it. I'm a terrible swimmer. I suck. One guy looked pained at my front stroke. But I did it. An old man gave me a thumbs up. A guy I saw last week waved at me. They were happy I was there. I was worried about the changing room too because not only would it be me in a swimming costume- it would be naked-me and I don't really enjoy showing that to too many people! I walked in there, owned it and even got some cheery Korean Hellos from some VERY naked old ladies.

I wish I could explain how proud of myself I am. This was SUCH a big deal for me. Doing it alone. AND I did 15 lengths front stoke, 6 lengths kickboarding and 4 lengths running- 625m all told!

And I really do understand because just yesterday a little girl poked my stomach fat and said 'Baby?'. I was upset for a bit and then I realised I am already doing everything I can to end the comments that hurt me. And that by doing nothing and sitting at home, I am not helping myself. I am hindering myself. So get out there, sod the haters and help yourself. You change nothing by sitting at home!

:character00116:

just to smash a pebble in our little pond, I hopped on today and lost another pound, metabolism acceleration still bombing the lard from the weekend

I've been hyper good and ultra strict for around a week now, all this spurs me on

I don't wanna hear any static about weighing, I'll weigh when I wanna weigh, I LIKE seeing the scales drop twice a week, it does me good

grunting about weighing more than once a week is for scammers who lie to themselves about the wine and the pizza 1-3 days after weigh in - I don't hang in that world, I hang here in the kill zone

I was out ripping my garden fence down at 7.00am this morning, worked up a right sweat - anything will do, keep the furnace going.

Walk the stairs to the office, walk at lunchtime, park a mile from work (it might be raining, but hell, you're waterproof not a cake)

and so on....

16-4, 3lbs to go for 4st off, it's gonna be carnage! Lemme at it................

Last edited:
right, im feeling a bit mad with myself for having a drink last night. my friends bought me wine for my birthday and when i said i wasnt drinking they looked really offended so i had a glass which was fine, but then i had another 2 glasses of wine, which led to me having some tiramisu I DONT EVEN LIKE PUDDINGS FFS so im pretty annoyed with myself today, yes it was my birthday and of course im back to it today but im mad, i mean really mad with myself, if id have stuck to the one glass of wine id have been fine and in control. tonight im out again for a meal, mums also invited me for tea at hers tomorrow but m not going to go, i cant face another night of not being in control with my diet as im away all weekend for a hen do, so thats goign to be tough aswell. i need to gain some control and stop being so social!!! after this weekend i have nothing planned for 2 weeks, im still sticking to it but its going to be easier after this weekend. this week has been a real test of my will power and on the whole ive done ok, but i could have done better last night.

Well done Rod!!

I will refrain from the weighing tuts as I think anything that helps can't be a bad thing - just as long as it spurs you on. I'm too terrified of failure to weigh more than once a week - I have to force myself as it is!!

I am now getting on and off the train one stop earlier for a little walk every day and have my first boot camp tonight. I work on 7th floor of my building so going to start tackling those stairs too!!

conlou1 said:
right, im feeling a bit mad with myself for having a drink last night. my friends bought me wine for my birthday and when i said i wasnt drinking they looked really offended so i had a glass which was fine, but then i had another 2 glasses of wine, which led to me having some tiramisu I DONT EVEN LIKE PUDDINGS FFS so im pretty annoyed with myself today, yes it was my birthday and of course im back to it today but im mad, i mean really mad with myself, if id have stuck to the one glass of wine id have been fine and in control. tonight im out again for a meal, mums also invited me for tea at hers tomorrow but m not going to go, i cant face another night of not being in control with my diet as im away all weekend for a hen do, so thats goign to be tough aswell. i need to gain some control and stop being so social!!! after this weekend i have nothing planned for 2 weeks, im still sticking to it but its going to be easier after this weekend. this week has been a real test of my will power and on the whole ive done ok, but i could have done better last night.

Good resolve Lou. We don't wanna hear no excuses for the rest of the week so you better stick at it!! Xx

Why is it when I read some of Rods posts I hear The Commando from The Biggest Loser? lol x

just to smash a pebble in our little pond, I hopped on today and lost another pound, metabolism acceleration still bombing the lard from the weekend

I've been hyper good and ultra strict for around a week now, all this spurs me on

I don't wanna hear any static about weighing, I'll weigh when I wanna weigh, I LIKE seeing the scales drop twice a week, it does me good

grunting about weighing more than once a week is for scammers who lie to themselves about the wine and the pizza 1-3 days after weigh in - I don't hang in that world, I hang here in the kill zone

I was out ripping my garden fence down at 7.00am this morning, worked up a right sweat - anything will do, keep the furnace going.

Walk the stairs to the office, walk at lunchtime, park a mile from work (it might be raining, but hell, you're waterproof not a cake)

and so on....

16-4, 3lbs to go for 4st off, it's gonna be carnage! Lemme at it................

well done and i agree about weighing, i weigh in most days, when i see a loss i see a loss and it spurs me on, if i see a gain it makes me try even harder, in some circles if you get weighed before 'official' weigh in it doesnt count if youve had a loss..which is ridiculous. i say get weighed when you want and if its a loss then be proud if its a gain then try harder.

C'mon Smileyman, what a load of tosh.

Do you really think people have nothing better to do than critique the fit and style of your tracksuit? Sorry to break it to you but most other people have much more important things on their minds - debts, relationships, work dramas, the economic crisis, world hunger etc... they aren't interested in you. Don't flatter yourself!

And if you give way to your attitude, it just means that the situation will perpetuate forever, because without exercise, you will stay fat. So man up and get out there and stop thinking you are the center of the universe, OK??!

(Gosh I am not sure I like this tough love malarky, I feel really mean!)

and so on....

Nice one Rod! Keep chip, chip, chipping those pounds away....look after the pounds and the stones take care of themselves.

Gah Lou, first it was the boozy meal with your husband, then the lasagne, then the wine x3 and tirimisu!? What were you thinking?

Please please don't fall off the wagon, you are my inspiration!! Time for an all or nothing approach in time for the hen do perhaps? (Trying to be tough here!)

Thanks for the comments people, when I start to bottle out tonight I shall think about having to come and say so on here and there's no way that's gonna happen. Have planned a new route that is circular and streets only, so I'll just look like a bloke who's walking fast because he's a bit late.

Jezzi, especial thanks for the videos, really inspirational. Made me realise that I need to set MUCH more realistic targets, exercise wise.

well done and i agree about weighing, i weigh in most days, when i see a loss i see a loss and it spurs me on, if i see a gain it makes me try even harder, in some circles if you get weighed before 'official' weigh in it doesnt count if youve had a loss..which is ridiculous. i say get weighed when you want and if its a loss then be proud if its a gain then try harder.

I know a lot of peole use them and love them, but you have to ask the cynical question - what do profit-making slimming clubs have to gain by you actually losing a lot of weight? One or two 'miracle' cases a year looks good for their advertising, but their money comes from keeping people in the programme. Once they start telling you you can't weigh yourself, or you can't change your goal weight, or the worst thing- selling you their own-branded 'diet' foods, it's time to smile sweetly and head on out.

You'll do better on the Tough Love plan than on any of them, IMO.

tumblr_m6uqovZ1Kl1qzr04eo1_500.jpg

Saw this image on my tumblr and thought of us lot and our attitude! :) If we ignore the appalling grammar (I'm an English Teacher, can't help it, sorry...) I think it's the core of the TL message. We're going to do it and see it through! :D

Keep focused Lou. I totally understand the social stuff is difficult but you're going to have to be stronger with your friends and stick to your guns. You've done so amazingly so far, you can definitely do it! :)

Dont forget to take before and after pictures Mr.Smiley cause there ain't noone goina recognise your skinny behind when your done so you'll need some evidence to prove its you :)

Thanks for the comments people, when I start to bottle out tonight I shall think about having to come and say so on here and there's no way that's gonna happen. Have planned a new route that is circular and streets only, so I'll just look like a bloke who's walking fast because he's a bit late.

Jezzi, especial thanks for the videos, really inspirational. Made me realise that I need to set MUCH more realistic targets, exercise wise.

I know a lot of peole use them and love them, but you have to ask the cynical question - what do profit-making slimming clubs have to gain by you actually losing a lot of weight? One or two 'miracle' cases a year looks good for their advertising, but their money comes from keeping people in the programme. Once they start telling you you can't weigh yourself, or you can't change your goal weight, or the worst thing- selling you their own-branded 'diet' foods, it's time to smile sweetly and head on out.

You'll do better on the Tough Love plan than on any of them, IMO.

thanks guys...given my head a shake. 1200 cals each day for the rest of the week, except saturday where i will up my allowance as its a meal and hen do, the meals at red hot buffet...has anyone ever been? or heard of it? i need to do some research so i can plan what to have. drinks wise, i want to have a drink so i will, but im going to do what i did the last time i went out, ill limit myself and drink water before, in between and after. i can pass yesterday and sunday off as 'special occasions' but i have no excuses for tonights meal, or saturdays celebrations..its not my hen do so i need to get a grip and not ruin my diet by giving myself feeble excuses.

Sushi is lovely, lots of nice raw proteins in the fish, but the rice part will be full of carbs, so beware.

Here's a tip: if you're going out for a meal where you won't be able to control the food content, it's likely to be high carb. So prepare for it by spending the day depleting your glycogen stores:

1) have a high carb breakfast (porridge, or if you can't stand it, toast and jam) to fill up your liver and muscles with glycogen during the morning.

2) Then have a small, very-low-carb lunch; maybe a bit of tuna, sardine, grilled chicken or sauce-less prawns on a dark-green salad.

3) Your body will have to burned up the glucose from breakfast, and will start to convert the stored glycogen back. A bit of light exercise right now will speed things along, but don't overdo it because you don't want to run out of energy completely.

4) When you get to your evening meal, your body will have depleted about a third of its glycogen reserves, so any carbs that you do end up eating will be completely absorbed by your liver and muscles while you sleep.

5) Next day, work out if you went over your calorie budget, and adjust exercise accordingly.

No need to worry, no need to upset friends or be 'rude', no need to stick out like a sore thumb. Just understand how your body works, plan for what's going to happen, and adjust accordingly.

Back