TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

How good is that! Nothing like compliments to keep you going.

AAARgh I have just had an inadvertant diet fail. I was walking home to walk my doggy at lunchtime and my mum drives past, just as the heavens open. She offered to take me for lunch at the local pub (with the doggy). Eating out isn't a problem on Slimming World, there are so many things you can eat without veering off plan - steak and salad, ham egg and salad, jacket and beans etc. So I ordered a prawn and avocado salad WITHOUT THE AVOCADO and without the bread. It arrived and OMG - was literally a massive mound of prawns in the most sopping marie rose sauce (damn! why didn't I ask for the sauce on the side!) and an equally massive mound of coleslaw, with about three slices of tomato and a leuttice leaf. So I have accidently eaten about 20 syns in mayo. Boooo! Had to eat it as otherwise I would be starving until 8 tonight, after my weigh in. Gutted - will have to be more careful in future.On the plus side, no carbs.

there's a plus side??

OK.....

you "accidentally" ate 20 syns of mayo? Like you tripped on the carpet, did a 360 in the air and landed, mouth down, in the mayo

right.....

what you should have done is sent it back, shouting "I ASKED FOR THE SAUCE ON THE SIDE DON'T MAKE ME WAVE THIS KNIFE ABOUT, I'M HUNGRY"

thats what you should have done, thats what you will do next time

you need to be very precise with these donuts who work the Harvesters, you need to speak slowly (they are usually Ukranian and blonde) make sure they understand what you want and double check before you let them skip off to pick their noses over the salad cart

bet that puts you off spur-of-the-moment-lunches-with-well-meaning-but-overly-loving-mother

pressups Bonnie, hit the floor sister.........

I was out hunting down my daily salad earlier, sometime I have some left here at work, other times I gotta go get it

I was nearest to a BIG Asda, so found my big bag o salad ok, but I went in the far end, cos I like to walk...

I won't walk in the food hall end, I walk in the clothes hall end and walk down to the salads...just keep walking....

I had a girly moment walking past the jeans and thought "I wonder"....

I grabbed some 36W-33L SLIM FIT uber-cool jeans and went in the changing rooms

they fit me. They fit me well, comfortably and properly

I was gobsmacked.

I nearly bought em, but I didn't like the arse pocket, it was way down low and I'll be sitting on me wallet all the time which is tres' uncomfortable...

but there you go

first time in 36's since 1996

I think I'll finish up in 34's with two stone to go, but I do need some interim jeans I think

do you suggest I buy some or keep on wearing the old jeans yanked in until I hit target???

what would you do??

Buy the jeans... December is a long way away and you are going to look a bit wierd as you get even slimmer walking around with massive jeans and a tiny belt. It is like recognition that things aren't gonna happen over night and is also reward for all the hard work you have done.

But well done you - first time in 7 years! That's epic!

Don't go getting cocky now mind!

there's a plus side??

OK.....

you "accidentally" ate 20 syns of mayo? Like you tripped on the carpet, did a 360 in the air and landed, mouth down, in the mayo

right.....

what you should have done is sent it back, shouting "I ASKED FOR THE SAUCE ON THE SIDE DON'T MAKE ME WAVE THIS KNIFE ABOUT, I'M HUNGRY"

thats what you should have done, thats what you will do next time

pressups Bonnie, hit the floor sister.........

*whimpers* yeah but I didn't ask for the mayo on the side :-( I didn't think hard enough about it - or realise that 99% of the 'salad' was mayonnaise and there wasn't actually any well...salad! Will definitely do it next time. Thanks for the rollicking anyhoo.

I am sitting here typing this as I munch on a prawn, veggie and tuna pack of sushi from tesco (only 1.5 syns). I would recommend that you give that a try before you go to make sure you like it if you want to try sushi. (It's only about £1). Otherwise I think the fish and salad idea is a good'un - or a jacket potato or something sans butter? I will look at the website if I get a sec and see if I can spot something that would help you.

Other tips are - eat a BIG lunch so you aren't hungry. Or snack on fruit (such as grapes) mid afternoon to keep you fuller. Also make sure you drink lots of water.

Buy the jeans... December is a long way away and you are going to look a bit wierd as you get even slimmer walking around with massive jeans and a tiny belt. It is like recognition that things aren't gonna happen over night and is also reward for all the hard work you have done.

But well done you - first time in 7 years! That's epic!

Don't go getting cocky now mind!

cheers...but thats 17 years, you missed the noughties completely!! like me really....

*whimpers* yeah but I didn't ask for the mayo on the side :-( I didn't think hard enough about it - or realise that 99% of the 'salad' was mayonnaise and there wasn't actually any well...salad! Will definitely do it next time. Thanks for the rollicking anyhoo.

steak n salad
fish n salad
grilled/griddled chicken n salad
fish n steamed veg
steak n steamed veg
steak n two salads
chicken n steamed veg

basic stuff to hold in your head armoury when you go out

get it pepped up with chiilis, garlic and herbs if you like that sorta stuff (I do)

do not dither dissecting their "prawn and avocado" salads, you should know they are doomed to be lathered in mayonaisse!!

I agree - it looks yummy with lots of choice (even for a dieter!!) I assume from the menu that it is 'help yourself' type of food so here is what I would do;

For starters - don't have a starter :)
For main - There seems to be grilled chicken, lamb etc on the grill section and there is also a vegetable section where you can fill up a bit. So something like that would be a good option for me. The only syns you would need to consider are anything that is cooked in oil etc so maybe allow a couple of syns as you don't know what they cook it in (unless they grill things in front of you??) There are also lots of salads there that you can have - swerve the dressings though.
For pud - you have said you aren't really fussed on deserts so this should be no problem but if you are tempted then go straight to the fresh fruit bar and get yourself a big old bowlful.

If they cook it all in front of you in a buffet style, why not ask them what is in the sauces/marinades so you have more of an idea how ''synful' they are. A lot of people will be doing this out of interest I would imagine so no harm in you doing it too.

Knowing how cheap supermarket jeans are BUY THEM. And then when you get down to a 34, GIVE THEM TO A CHARITY SHOP. Then no temptation to keep them and slip back into them when/if you gain back a few pounds.

Wearing clothes that are too big:

A) is bad for your self-esteem when you look like a circus clown
B) makes it harder to tell if you are getting fat again. If your clothes fit, you feel them getting tight. If they are clown pants you don't.

How much are they? Under a tenner? Buy a pair of 36s and a pair of 34s. Sorted.

well they were £22, sort of twisted type jeans

It was a spur of the moment thing, but all my clobber is kinda big now, maybe I should tune it up a bit

I am talking about clothes on the TL thread :eek:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

By the way, Lou, there's no real distinction between a food lover and a dieter. That slavering response you had when you saw the 'nice' things on the menu was from a food addict, conditioned by years and years of processed sugar being artificially stuffed into them. And make no mistake, it is an addiction - tests in MRI scanners have proved that an over-eater has the same reaction to pictures of sugar-laden food as a heroin addict has to pictures of their gear.

The new you, in contrast, knows what their body needs and is able to control the urges. You still love food, just now you love the right foods, not the wrong ones. How about instead of calling yourself a 'dieter' you re-frame your mind to be a 'healthy food lover'. Then when you make your menu selection, you won't be denying yourself the rubbish, you will be choosing the right options. That's a much better mind-set to be in, and much less likely to fail as well.

I agree - it looks yummy with lots of choice (even for a dieter!!) I assume from the menu that it is 'help yourself' type of food so here is what I would do;

For starters - don't have a starter :)
For main - There seems to be grilled chicken, lamb etc on the grill section and there is also a vegetable section where you can fill up a bit. So something like that would be a good option for me. The only syns you would need to consider are anything that is cooked in oil etc so maybe allow a couple of syns as you don't know what they cook it in (unless they grill things in front of you??) There are also lots of salads there that you can have - swerve the dressings though.
For pud - you have said you aren't really fussed on deserts so this should be no problem but if you are tempted then go straight to the fresh fruit bar and get yourself a big old bowlful.

If they cook it all in front of you in a buffet style, why not ask them what is in the sauces/marinades so you have more of an idea how ''synful' they are. A lot of people will be doing this out of interest I would imagine so no harm in you doing it too.

Sage advice...although I think Lou is just on a vlcd rather than SW...but I guess the same rules apply since SW is just another way of counting calories.

well they were £22, sort of twisted type jeans

It was a spur of the moment thing, but all my clobber is kinda big now, maybe I should tune it up a bit

I am talking about clothes on the TL thread :eek:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You should buy the new ones then ceremoniously BURN the old ones. No going back!

Next weekend (well next weds actually) I am off to Ireland to win the Irish Bass Festival

We are living in a hotel - well, we'll be living on the coast, most probably nocturnal, then turning up for breakfast and bed - in that order

I don't know Ireland that well, I've only been to Dublin 4 times and can't recall a single one of them (!) - the bad old days shall we say

So much as I asked for help for the CLF (which I lost 2lbs at!) how can I do this in Ireland?

I arrive at 6am on the thursday and depart 6am on the monday from Rosslare

Breakfast is likely to be standard full Irish, the rest I have to find or take. I can't consider going shopping over there, we arrive, we'll start fishing and that'll be that

I don't like starving myself, I want ideas of light/portable/protein based/non-perishable foods

I have the basis of the idea from last time, anything else I should consider?

My god chatty bunch.

Great advice about meal. I'm not on Sw or blcd. Just good old fashioned calorie counting at between 1200-1500 A daycombined with walking for exercise. I will have fish or chicken and salad. I pretty much know where I am with that

Rid BUY THE JEANS YOU FOOL. They will boost self confidence and show how far you've come and you'll look and feel great. Every time I drop a size I get rid of the old and in with the new

Bonnie. Excuses lady. You absolutely did NOT have to eat it all. You could have sent it back saying your allergic to mayo OR eaten half. Hunger isn't an emergency. You won't die cos you have to wait an extra 2 hours for tea you'll feel hungry but real hunger waits and that's what you should have done. No more excuses now you wanted it cos it was nice and you couldn't resist. Weve all been there, but the key is owning it and admitting it then you can move on. Excuses take the blame away from yourself and stops change being able to
Happen. You ate it, you own it. Now chin up and move on;) x

Smoked sausage would be my choice. Full of protein and fat, low in carbs, easy to eat on the go, won't spoil, doesn't need refrigerating. Find a good butcher who will sell you a preservative-free organic sausage and then smoke it yourself is the best bet.

Most Irish hotels offer cerials toast fruit and yoghurt as well as hot food for breakfast. Maybe have Big bowls of porridge for breakfast.
Generally hotels here are quite oblieging, if you ask them to make you up a something to eat to take with you they most likely will - salad and cold meat maybe?
I would say get a protein suppliment for the week just to add to your meals but if your out on the coast and its making you pee a lot might not be a great idea, so how about you make these protein cookies in a big batch and take them with you in a zip lock to munch on:
2-3 tablespoons natural peanut butter (the cruncy one)
1 tablespoon of flaxseed
good shake of stavia/other sweetner
2 scoops vanilla protein powder

Sorry Ill be on holidays while your here otherwise id happily drop you down some healthy foods. BE WARNED STAY AWAY FROM THE CHIPPER

Next weekend (well next weds actually) I am off to Ireland to win the Irish Bass Festival

We are living in a hotel - well, we'll be living on the coast, most probably nocturnal, then turning up for breakfast and bed - in that order

I don't know Ireland that well, I've only been to Dublin 4 times and can't recall a single one of them (!) - the bad old days shall we say

So much as I asked for help for the CLF (which I lost 2lbs at!) how can I do this in Ireland?

I arrive at 6am on the thursday and depart 6am on the monday from Rosslare

Breakfast is likely to be standard full Irish, the rest I have to find or take. I can't consider going shopping over there, we arrive, we'll start fishing and that'll be that

I don't like starving myself, I want ideas of light/portable/protein based/non-perishable foods

I have the basis of the idea from last time, anything else I should consider?

My god chatty bunch.

Great advice about meal. I'm not on Sw or blcd. Just good old fashioned calorie counting at between 1200-1500 A daycombined with walking for exercise. I will have fish or chicken and salad. I pretty much know where I am with that

Rid BUY THE JEANS YOU FOOL. They will boost self confidence and show how far you've come and you'll look and feel great. Every time I drop a size I get rid of the old and in with the new

chicken n salad - simples innit

FOOL??

yeah, I'll get the jeans

Just like Emma and Jezzi and Lou and Exi told me to.....

Back