TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

i sense chit chat oh noble leader ;)

you're not wrong Sparty

I said yesterday that I should ease up a little so you can flourish under the TL banner

Starlight is now a TL subscriber and Mini is chewing on letting us have our own section for different and maybe "lady specific" topics
- but a TOUGH LOVE SECTION, NOT JUST A THREAD

meantime, you walk the line, you can have some slack. Some.

Not a cat frenzy, I am not going there EVER again

Personally I didn't envisage this thread being successful like it has been, so for the good of the people that have made it successful (you and everyone else) I hope this comes off

this can revert to hardcore once we have a section - which I think most people would welcome and use

and Lou has just TL'd someone elsewhere and it's backfired by the looks....

you gotta laugh....

thanks for the ideas on the irish trip never even gave protein shakes a thought, but theres DEF mileage in that idea

Exi, shame you are not there to say hi (and feed me!!!) maybe another time

If this comes off like I think it will, I'm gonna be back and back and back

the Irish bass fishery is looked after so well, its the best in europe

and that means BIG FISH

and that means HAPPY ROD :D

Rod the Bass said:
you're not wrong Sparty

I said yesterday that I should ease up a little so you can flourish under the TL banner

Starlight is now a TL subscriber and Mini is chewing on letting us have our own section for different and maybe "lady specific" topics
- but a TOUGH LOVE SECTION, NOT JUST A THREAD

meantime, you walk the line, you can have some slack. Some.

Not a cat frenzy, I am not going there EVER again

Personally I didn't envisage this thread being successful like it has been, so for the good of the people that have made it successful (you and everyone else) I hope this comes off

this can revert to hardcore once we have a section - which I think most people would welcome and use

and Lou has just TL'd someone elsewhere and it's backfired by the looks....

you gotta laugh....

Oops. It was done out of live cos I wish someone had said to
Me months ago 'your not losing weight cos your eating too much, living in denial and not exercising. If u don't want to lose weight then carry on but stop complaining you can't eat what you want and feeling sorry for yourself' yes it would have been hard to
Hear but it would have pulled my head out the sand. The more people agreed with my excuses the more I used them. I cringe at stuff I used to say and am pleased with myself that I changed my ways and the advice I attempt to give really does come from a place of kindness but I realise I shouldn't just start lecturing people who
Perhaps just want to be told its ok to slip off plan. Never mind. Your all stuck with me now I'm afraid :D

Oops. It was done out of live cos I wish someone had said to
Me months ago 'your not losing weight cos your eating too much, living in denial and not exercising. If u don't want to lose weight then carry on but stop complaining you can't eat what you want and feeling sorry for yourself' yes it would have been hard to
Hear but it would have pulled my head out the sand. The more people agreed with my excuses the more I used them. I cringe at stuff I used to say and am pleased with myself that I changed my ways and the advice I attempt to give really does come from a place of kindness but I realise I shouldn't just start lecturing people who
Perhaps just want to be told its ok to slip off plan. Never mind. Your all stuck with me now I'm afraid :D

no thats cool, you can lecture us instead!

can you remember Officer and Gentleman?

Oklahoma is full of "steers and queers"

and the forum is full of "workers and shirkers"

no place like where you belong Lou

the forum is full of "workers and shirkers"
Just had a wander around the place (hey, work today consists of 'press a key and wait two hours' - easy money!) and boy are there some pathetic excuses going around the place. Including a few 'scientific studies show......' that are complete drivel.

My favourite 'lie to yourself and pretend that it's science so that's OK' is the genius: "Your metabolism slows down if you diet because your body reacts to conserve energy". Yeah, because that's exactly how 'metabolism' works.

Here's the basic science. An adult body requires energy for five things:

1) Keeping you warm - increases or decreases very slightly with external temperature, but not much unless you're really cold and start to shiver.
2) Keeping your brain working - believe it or not, this consumes about 25% of your resting energy, and is constant.
3) Moving your muscles - increases with exercise, duh!
4) Internal cell processes - not a lot, increases or decreases slightly with muscle mass.
5) Replacing lost tissue - you need to replace about 0.08% of yourself every day, and that requires protein and energy. Never changes.

You have to get all of that energy from your diet, your glycogen reserves or your fat reserves, and notice how the only way you can really 'slow it down' it is to either reduce your exercise rate, reduce your muscle mass, or die (a bit extreme even for Bassers).

So in a sense, it's a scientifically accurate statement, since a smaller person will require less energy. But the idea that someone will go from a BMI35 to a BMI30 and suddenly hit some sort of 'plateau' is complete nonsense. What's most likely happening is that the diet that was working before isn't going to work any more with their new body composition and they're going to have to adjust again.

Seen any more 'science excuses?' Go ahead and post 'em up, watch Science Smiley tear 'em down.

Last edited:
lisajade said:
Hi bassers!

Sorry I have been a bit AWOL, I have had some really nasty headaches and my weekly monthlies are still doing my head in. I have the doctor on Friday, that is my tough love on myself, as I detest going to the doctor.

What this will all mean for my weigh in this week, well who knows. I have upped my efforts with food this week, and been a bit more active. The way I see it, even if something health-wise is contributing to my gains, I can at least try to reduce it by upping the ante.

I am gonna try catch up on some posts now, you lot have been busy!

Urgh... I am losing the plot. I have weighed at home today and it looks like I have gained for a third week in a row. I just can't believe it. I feel so lost and helpless. I want to scream or cry. I have my official weigh in tomorrow, and I just don't think I can cope with it. I have had mental health problems in the past, and I am just starting to break a little. I guess the hormones won't be helping my mental state. I rang the gp to get a new appointment to get this implant removed and they can't do it til the 24th. And it's my wedding in 4 weeks time. I am so gutted this is happening now :(

CHUCKLE that was a random one Smiles! I disagree though metabolism is affected by extreme calorific restriction over prolonged periods, but its not an excuse and you won't find people on TL claiming that it is.

is this your super hero name? :)

HAHAHAHAHA peed myself laughing at this, love it...can i have a super hero name pleeeeeease?

Urgh... I am losing the plot. I have weighed at home today and it looks like I have gained for a third week in a row. I just can't believe it. I feel so lost and helpless. I want to scream or cry. I have my official weigh in tomorrow, and I just don't think I can cope with it. I have had mental health problems in the past, and I am just starting to break a little. I guess the hormones won't be helping my mental state. I rang the gp to get a new appointment to get this implant removed and they can't do it til the 24th. And it's my wedding in 4 weeks time. I am so gutted this is happening now :(

right, im not gonna tough love ya, for the simple reason you sound really fragile right now and i dont think its the right thing for you at this moment in time. if your worried about your mental health please go to see your doctor, theres lots of help you can get...and please please dont pin all of your happiness on losing weight, it doesnt define you as a person and it doesnt change who you are, your getting married in 4 weeks, you should be happy not miserable. you know why your not losing weight by the sounds of it, and i think that you need to gain some control as the lack of control will be making you feel worse. ive heard mixed reviews over implant it could be it doesnt agree with you, get it removed if you dont think it doesn theres lots of other options. for now, it doesnt really matter what 'official' weigh in says, if its going to make you feel rubbish then dont go, you know what you need to do to lose weight, you have weighed in you know youve gained, so change it today, now this minute..the next thing you eat needs to be 100% on plan and good for you, cut out the snacks, please, as i promise this will make you feel a million times better, and you WILL lose weight if you have healthy balanced meals and no snacks and do exercise. 4 weeks to your wedding, you really can lose half a stone possibly more if you put your mind to it. c'mon girl, dont let this beat you

1. Stop stressing - stops you loosing, causes muscle tension and water retention.
2. Wheres your food diary?

jezzi999 said:
Family planning clinic. Phone around and say you will cut it out yourself if they won't. Play the "mental" card and it will work I swear. (years of NHS experience)

Funny enough, I truly am debating doing it myself, but I don't have anything sharp enough.

JEEEEES dont do that mrs. youll have a big hole in your arm for your wedding if you go butchering it out!!!

Goddam work getting in the way of reading my fave thread. Bah!

Rod - you had a girlie jeans moment :8855:! I like to think I may have inspired that with my talk yesterday of kickflares! So pleased for you. I would take the suggestion made earlier and buy a pair you really like in a 34. I would also look around and buy a couple of cheap pairs to wear now. You'll look like a tramp with your current ones all bunched up and pulled in with a belt and plus its nice to get compliments off folk as your press clipping has shown you. Go and spend some money, my Good Man! :D

is this your super hero name? :)
That's what I told the policeman when he found me undressing in a phone box.

CHUCKLE that was a random one Smiles! I disagree though metabolism is affected by extreme calorific restriction over prolonged periods, but its not an excuse and you won't find people on TL claiming that it is.
Your 'metabolism' (if we're talking about the sum total of the metabolic processes in the body) changes on a restricted diet, because you switch from a primarily glucose energy source to a glucose/fat mix (or a glucose/fat/protein mix if you are genuinely starving - don't do this, you'll die). But your energy requirements change very little, and the only way energy goes into your body is if you eat it.

I agree with Lou Lisajade, it is possible (and prob the right thing to do) to step back and take the focus off the scales. It doesnt mean u take the peddle off all the good habits you have going...just take all the power from the scales. For a bit. Sounds like ur priority...like the others have mentioned, are getting the implant sorted. Make that your no. 1 priority, get that sorted and then come back to the rest. Four weeks to your wedding would also suggest theres prob alot going on at the moment. Exi is right re: stress and holding on to water etc!
Keep all ur good habits going...and make sure ur getting loads of exercise, as good for ur head as it is for the rest of u!

I was going to get an implant but decided against it but the easiest way to get it was to go to a family planning clinic. The one nearest me has an Implant 'drop in' on a Friday where you just turn up to get it or get it removed. Have you had a look to see if theres anything like that near you?

Back