TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

right, calorie cycling is basically alternating low cal days of 1000-1200 with higher days of say 1800-2000, it apparently boostys metabolism, but i think it also increases your risk of binge and purge..i kind of do this but weouldnt do alternate days of 2000, personally i think thats too many even with the low days, i do however aim for 1200, but allow myself upto 1600 a couple of times a week, and on a weekend if i go out ill perhaps have one 2000 day...which still shouldnt be too much to cause a gain. your bmi is low, you dont have a lot to lose i would aim for 1200 most days then maybe a couple of days say one on a weekend have 1600 cals....see how you get on. you need to register with my fitness pal as its the easiest way to track cals, and if you have an iphone or android phone that has apps you can download it on your phone which is all i use tbh...you can scan items, input exercise, or search their database for items, check the amounts and away you go. easy peasy. i dont eat my exercise cals though as i think this completely defeats the object of exercising...also mfp tends to eb a bit over generous with how many cals you burn, its not reliable

Precisely! MFP is super easy to use. I try not to use my exercise cals either. I think the 1200 with a couple of 1600 days would be a good place to start! :)

I think I need to look at my portion sizes to shift these last few lbs. I had an unplanned excess Saturday night as you have prob seen in the forums. Back on track straight after but the result was a 1lb gain. My first gain since starting to diet! I deserved it so I'm not gonna whinge but I clearly need to rethink my priorities or I won't hit target.
Hi sparty, given your height and weight, even with your good exercise level 2000 calories per day is going to only maintain your weight, so you will have to drop to about 1500 calories per day just to lose a pound a week.

SmileyMan said:
Hi sparty, given your height and weight, even with your good exercise level 2000 calories per day is going to only maintain your weight, so you will have to drop to about 1500 calories per day just to lose a pound a week.

Hey smiley. Where you been hiding?! :) I'm going to try 1200 to begin with and see how I get on!

Hey smiley. Where you been hiding?! :) I'm going to try 1200 to begin with and see how I get on!
Be careful, and make sure you get enough protein at those levels. For your weight you need about 45g per day as a minimum.

Eat when you're hungry
Eat what you really want (but you've gotta train your brain to really want healthy things)
Eat mindfully
Stop when you're full
Drink loads of water

Hey everyone cant make official weigh in tomoz got loadsa stuff yo do :( gunna weigh myself at home in the morning then ive got an idea ov were i am for nxt week :) dun anova session ov kettlebells and a session with jillian michaels n lets say im bushed!! Dun alot ov walking today so im very happy with the exercise today :)
Well dun rod on the loss :) sounds like u had fun

Wow!!! Boot camp was haaaaard tonight in the blistering sun (not complaining - I love the sun!) but I enjoyed it more than the first 2 weeks! And under 1200 calls today as I am giving calorie counting a go to push towards target!

right, your entering your healthy bmi...i dont particularly go by bmi but still, apparently the lower it is the harder the weight seems to come off for the majority of people. it could be that as theres less of you you need to be cutting back even more. ive decided i hate this sayin ive been 100% cos what exactly does that mean? your 100% at 5 stone over weight is not really going to work when you only have 1 stone to lose is it? i think we should find a new saying, as really theres no such thing as 100% as this would suggest sticking to one set plan, but one set plan wont work for everyone and wont always work for the individual....one thing i have learnt is that the diet needs to be adapted, i hear so often people complaining of not losing weight but instead of changing something theyre are doing, like cutting down portions, reducing carbs/fats, they just plug away regardless hoping that the 'weight gods' favour them and miraculously make them lose that last bit of weight...well, it wont come off unless you change something your doing, the 100% that worked before isnt working now as there is less of you, your bmr will be lower (this is the amount of cals your body needs just to survive if it were in a coma or just laid down all day) there fore the amount of cals you need on a daily basis is lower so you need to reduc e this again to see a loss. if you 'cant' do this then dont, but then your not going to lose weight any quicker...the only other way is to drastically increase your exercise so your burning off a lot more. its not magic, its science...use more cals than you take in and you will lose weight its as simple as that.

right ok! :) is there a way to work out my BMR? and how many cals a day do u think id need? my portions are not massive tbh, i do mainly red days so more meat, i dont eat any bread or pasta or potatoes, get carbs from veg and rice if need be... but obviously i do need to chnage something!!
exercise is also a difficult one as i have 4 young children so can only do things in the evening and thats when my husband is home n moans about me going out! but yeh is deffo something i will increase!
right, as for calorie counting...im scared!! lol i know that sounds stupid, but i get very obsessed with numbers, probably why i have such a fear of gaining, but i cal counted years ago, i intended to have 1200 a day but it kinda became an obsession and in the end i wouldnt allow myself over 200 a day! which obviously was nowhere near enough, i did loose weight, obviously! and then started a cycle of starving, binging then purging which felt impossible to break! resulting in a diagnosis of bulimia nervosa, i managed to stop the starving and the pruging but the binging continued hence me needing to loose weight again!
sorry that was probably too much information! sorry :/
as in cutting down portions, do i cut back on the veg too? or would you suggest maybe replacing more meat with veg (instead of using 1/3 supfree rule maybe try 2/3-3/4?) xXx

right ok! :) is there a way to work out my BMR?
Yep, work out your height in inches and your weight in pounds, then...

Female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Your BMR is only the energy you use when you are literally doing nothing at all though, e.g. sleeping. Even maintaining a sitting position and strolling to work uses more than that. If you have a sedentary lifestyle, multiply your BMR by 1.2 to get your daily energy requirements - if you are a pro athlete, multiply by 1.9. Everyone else, pick somewhere between those two.

and how many cals a day do u think id need?

A pound of fat contains 3500 calories. So to lose a pound of fat in a week, you need to eat 500 calories less than you use. Once you've got your daily energy requirement above, subtract 500 and that's what you need to be eating.

Well done Emma. What with all this swinging you've started this is your new beginning!

Lost 1lb this week :)

Good job Emma! Well done :D

Went to the cinema by myself today as I had the day off. I was totally snack free. :D Trying to break my TV/Film watching eating habits :)

Yep, work out your height in inches and your weight in pounds, then...

Female BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

Your BMR is only the energy you use when you are literally doing nothing at all though, e.g. sleeping. Even maintaining a sitting position and strolling to work uses more than that. If you have a sedentary lifestyle, multiply your BMR by 1.2 to get your daily energy requirements - if you are a pro athlete, multiply by 1.9. Everyone else, pick somewhere between those two.

A pound of fat contains 3500 calories. So to lose a pound of fat in a week, you need to eat 500 calories less than you use. Once you've got your daily energy requirement above, subtract 500 and that's what you need to be eating.
ok, ive been doind sums and can see this can quickly become a slippery slope! will work on portions control and energy used first to see if i can get those scales moving a little more! maybe resort to calorie counting if it still doesnt happen!
i would love to lose 18lb in 11 weeks (in time for my 1st wedding anniversary) then a further 21lb after that so still have fair way to go so really gonna go for it!

my portions are not massive tbh, i do mainly red days so more meat, i dont eat any bread or pasta or potatoes, get carbs from veg and rice if need be... but obviously i do need to chnage something!!
exercise is also a difficult one as i have 4 young children so can only do things in the evening and thats when my husband is home n moans about me going out! but yeh is deffo something i will increase!

loolahoop - now that its the school holidays surely this is a great excuse to get out and do more exercise during the day? I'm thinking walks in the woods, trips to the park (they can play and you can jog round the park a few laps), playing games in the garden? How about setting up a 'mini olympics' type thing in the garden to get them (and you) racing eachother or something? I'm not sure how old you mean when you say young children but that might be a great way of teaching them all about the olympics, getting you some exercise and still leaving time for your OH in the evenings? You could surely squeeze in a walk after dinner or something as well - as a family or on your own if its too difficult to take the kids. This is the BEST time to do things like this so we wont hear of any 'havent got time' excuses!!!

right, as for calorie counting...im scared!! lol i know that sounds stupid, but i get very obsessed with numbers, probably why i have such a fear of gaining, but i cal counted years ago, i intended to have 1200 a day but it kinda became an obsession and in the end i wouldnt allow myself over 200 a day! which obviously was nowhere near enough, i did loose weight, obviously! and then started a cycle of starving, binging then purging which felt impossible to break! resulting in a diagnosis of bulimia nervosa, i managed to stop the starving and the pruging but the binging continued hence me needing to loose weight again!
sorry that was probably too much information! sorry :/
as in cutting down portions, do i cut back on the veg too? or would you suggest maybe replacing more meat with veg (instead of using 1/3 supfree rule maybe try 2/3-3/4?) xXx

If you have had an eating discorder you need to tread carefully it seems. But if you calorie count you can be stubborn etc - that doesnt mean reduxing your intake to 200!!! Just be stubborn at sticking to 1200!! Maybe the increase in exercise will help you shart losing again and you wont need to do this. I have 5lb to go so my losses have pretty much slowed right down (not helped by my off plan saturday night last week!) so that is why I am giving it a try. Sometimes just changing up your eating routine can kick start it. I see you are doing SW. Do you use your hex's as snacks or with your meals normally? Are you eating the same old things? What about having a bigger portion at lunch and then a lighter dinner if you usually do it the other way round? Could you change your hex's - i.e. do you always use cereal bars? Maybe swap for bread one or two days per week (same with mik/cheese)?

None of this is difficult to do - you just need to put that stuborness to work!!

WI yesterday and I fecking STAYED THE FECKING SAME! Had a really miserable night thinking about it all and in the dark night of the soul, even thought about giving it all up. I really, honestly, hand on heart can say I couldn't have tried any better last week to loose. Granted, it could be a water retention thing this week, but even so - with a week like that I would normally have a nice 3-4lb loss. I am all out of confidence now, in the plan and my ability to keep going, given that I have set myself some quite strict and until now, totally reasonable targets (2lbs a week - I have always been able to achieve more than this in the past on SW). I don't know what is making it so fricking hard this time, especially the amount i am running!

Anyway, after my posts and your replies last week I had a nice low syn lasagne in the freezer waiting for me last night so that I wasn't tempted to buy pizza. Which I ate...followed by 4 slices of toast and some of OH's macaroni cheese :cry:On the plus side, it did get things moving - I have seriously been lacking fibre.

So am feeling really fed up. Maybe it is water retention masking the weight loss this week (it is a possibility this week) or maybe it is just the plan not working for me any more. Either way, I feel like I need a change. Have registered for My Fitness Pal and am going to count calories as well as sticking vaguely to SW this week and just see if that makes a difference.

Added to this is the fact that I am going to a festival this weekend...which is known for its cider! If I had a nice loss to safeguard from this week, and my stone award on my fridge, I would feel so much more motivated to keep to plan this weekend. But as it is, I feel like saying a big BUGGER IT!

Sorry, how self indulgent. Woe is me...now bring on the bashing...

WI yesterday and I fecking STAYED THE FECKING SAME! Had a really miserable night thinking about it all and in the dark night of the soul, even thought about giving it all up. I really, honestly, hand on heart can say I couldn't have tried any better last week to loose. Granted, it could be a water retention thing this week, but even so - with a week like that I would normally have a nice 3-4lb loss. I am all out of confidence now, in the plan and my ability to keep going, given that I have set myself some quite strict and until now, totally reasonable targets (2lbs a week - I have always been able to achieve more than this in the past on SW). I don't know what is making it so fricking hard this time, especially the amount i am running!

Anyway, after my posts and your replies last week I had a nice low syn lasagne in the freezer waiting for me last night so that I wasn't tempted to buy pizza. Which I ate...followed by 4 slices of toast and some of OH's macaroni cheese :cry:On the plus side, it did get things moving - I have seriously been lacking fibre.

So am feeling really fed up. Maybe it is water retention masking the weight loss this week (it is a possibility this week) or maybe it is just the plan not working for me any more. Either way, I feel like I need a change. Have registered for My Fitness Pal and am going to count calories as well as sticking vaguely to SW this week and just see if that makes a difference.

Added to this is the fact that I am going to a festival this weekend...which is known for its cider! If I had a nice loss to safeguard from this week, and my stone award on my fridge, I would feel so much more motivated to keep to plan this weekend. But as it is, I feel like saying a big BUGGER IT!

Sorry, how self indulgent. Woe is me...now bring on the bashing...

P.s... any suggestions of calories I should be on? MFP says 1200 but not sure if I should start higher so that I don't end up on 500 a day to keep losing closer to goal?

Back