TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

P.s... any suggestions of calories I should be on? MFP says 1200 but not sure if I should start higher so that I don't end up on 500 a day to keep losing closer to goal?

I'm on 1400 and lose between 1-2lbs a week with that. Give that a go. (I have it set to lose 1.5lbs a week)

Anyway, on to the bashing. Firstly, BRIGHTSIDE, no gain. Yes, it sucks you STS but as we have established there is always a reason. Is it almost 'lady fun time'? Could that explain water retention? Do you keep a food diary? Portion sizes? Anything that could have slipped through the net?

I'm personally convinced it has more to do with you not 'going' for a week! What sources of fibre are you eating? I must say I go less regularly than I did before started CCing but once a week is a bit... well! I reckon that's where most of your weigh was!

Also, not succeeding is not an excuse to give up. It's a reason to try harder. You've been fantastic the past week Bonnie, really helping to motivate all of us. Do NOT throw that all away because of one bad weigh-in. You're switching up the plan which is good. Can exercise be added?

Do not jack it in. Think about how fantastic you feel when it's going well. You will regret it if you give up now and you know it- you'll be disappointed in yourself or would you rather no that you took it on the chin and went out there and fought harder for it? They never said it was going to be easy- but it's bloody well going to be worth it! Chin up and look at the week ahead. You CAN do it and you WILL Bonnie, if you keep up with the positive attitude.

So, no more woe, lots more determination please! In Korea they have a special phrase for when they want you to do well and it's 'FIGHTING'. So to you Bonnie I say 'FIGHTING!!!' Go for it lady! You can do it!

WI yesterday and I fecking STAYED THE FECKING SAME! Had a really miserable night thinking about it all and in the dark night of the soul, even thought about giving it all up. I really, honestly, hand on heart can say I couldn't have tried any better last week to loose. Granted, it could be a water retention thing this week, but even so - with a week like that I would normally have a nice 3-4lb loss. I am all out of confidence now, in the plan and my ability to keep going, given that I have set myself some quite strict and until now, totally reasonable targets (2lbs a week - I have always been able to achieve more than this in the past on SW). I don't know what is making it so fricking hard this time, especially the amount i am running!

Anyway, after my posts and your replies last week I had a nice low syn lasagne in the freezer waiting for me last night so that I wasn't tempted to buy pizza. Which I ate...followed by 4 slices of toast and some of OH's macaroni cheese :cry:On the plus side, it did get things moving - I have seriously been lacking fibre.

So am feeling really fed up. Maybe it is water retention masking the weight loss this week (it is a possibility this week) or maybe it is just the plan not working for me any more. Either way, I feel like I need a change. Have registered for My Fitness Pal and am going to count calories as well as sticking vaguely to SW this week and just see if that makes a difference.

Added to this is the fact that I am going to a festival this weekend...which is known for its cider! If I had a nice loss to safeguard from this week, and my stone award on my fridge, I would feel so much more motivated to keep to plan this weekend. But as it is, I feel like saying a big BUGGER IT!

Sorry, how self indulgent. Woe is me...now bring on the bashing...

bonnie bonnie bonnie.........what were you thinking? so you had a sts, you know you ate well last week and exercised a lot but because that machine said you hadnt lost weight therefore you throw in the towel and go on a mass binge fest? how is that helping really? so 1 week of not getting a loss and your ready to throw it all in? sounds like a bit of a tantrum to me! the sts could be attributed to lots of things....water retention caused by not drinking enough of muscles holding onto water TEMPORARILY due to the increased amount of exercise your doing, being constipated wont help, or maybe youve just simply gotten complacant and eaten more than you think you have? maybe your portions have been larger than they should? maybe youve been snacking on free foods? etc etc, maybe your body is just holding onto water etc that day and perhaps this weekend you would have shown a loss? your body doesnt work in weeks, it doesnt know its weigh day, it loses weight at its own rate and sometimes it doesnt always seem to reflect our efforts but that doesnt mean that thats it for the rest of your life youll never drop another pound cos youve sts for one single week, but now youve had a massive binge with lots of bread and pasta probably lessening the loss you would have had next week, therefore making you feel even worse next week and concreting in the fact that 'its not working'. just stop and think rationally...re read what youve put, what would you say if it were me who had put that?

as for the calorie amount, i dont stick to a set amount every day, i have 1200 as many days as i can stand but if im feeling peckish ill allow myself 1400, i have an upper limit...i wont go above 1500 (unless im on a night out etc, but thats been my downfall the last 2 weeks) mfp is brilliant im totally addicted to it and i know if i follow it it works.

now pick yourself up and stop feeling sorry for yourself..its just one week. you have some making up to do the next few days for that binge, i tihnk a plan is in order, perhaps an extra 15 minutes on your run to try and undo the damage? if you punish yourself for binging youll think twice before doing it in the future, if you tell yourself it was justified your just strengthening your giving in muscle....you want to strengthen your resistance muscle now. i need to cut out snacking again..im within my cal allowances for the day but ive gotten back into night snacking....do you fancy pallying up? well cut snacking out together? we have to report on here at the end of each day and be HONEST, if weve snacked we get a telling off?

WI yesterday and I fecking STAYED THE FECKING SAME! Had a really miserable night thinking about it all and in the dark night of the soul, even thought about giving it all up. I really, honestly, hand on heart can say I couldn't have tried any better last week to loose. Granted, it could be a water retention thing this week, but even so - with a week like that I would normally have a nice 3-4lb loss. I am all out of confidence now, in the plan and my ability to keep going, given that I have set myself some quite strict and until now, totally reasonable targets (2lbs a week - I have always been able to achieve more than this in the past on SW). I don't know what is making it so fricking hard this time, especially the amount i am running!

Anyway, after my posts and your replies last week I had a nice low syn lasagne in the freezer waiting for me last night so that I wasn't tempted to buy pizza. Which I ate...followed by 4 slices of toast and some of OH's macaroni cheese :cry:On the plus side, it did get things moving - I have seriously been lacking fibre.

So am feeling really fed up. Maybe it is water retention masking the weight loss this week (it is a possibility this week) or maybe it is just the plan not working for me any more. Either way, I feel like I need a change. Have registered for My Fitness Pal and am going to count calories as well as sticking vaguely to SW this week and just see if that makes a difference.

Added to this is the fact that I am going to a festival this weekend...which is known for its cider! If I had a nice loss to safeguard from this week, and my stone award on my fridge, I would feel so much more motivated to keep to plan this weekend. But as it is, I feel like saying a big BUGGER IT!

Bonnie - come on! I cant believe that you let this defeat you (and don't tell me you didn't because eating 4 slices of toast and macoroni cheese begs to differ! and I bet it was spread thick with lovely butter too!!) Shame on you Bonnie - you KNOW that sometimes we STS - its not a magic formula and some weeks just seem unfair. Chin up soldier and power through - look at your portion sizes like faery recommends and by all means start counting your cals. Make sure you are eating enough fibre so you can't blame your not being able to 'go' and drink as much water as you can! Literally until you cannot drink any more - so no more water retention excuses allowed sister!!

I am doing the same - usually follow SW but a bit stuck atm so want a boost. I am having 1200 per day for now as my target cals but if you feel that is too small for you, then go for 1400 to begin with (Lou may have more of an idea if this is right for you than I do). And don't use your calories on things you know are not healthy - stick to SW principles.

I have started using MFP again yesterday and so far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
i need to cut out snacking again..im within my cal allowances for the day but ive gotten back into night snacking....do you fancy pallying up? well cut snacking out together? we have to report on here at the end of each day and be HONEST, if weve snacked we get a telling off?

Can I join in too?

Bonnie - I agree with all the advice given above. Re your query about choosing which foods to eat when calorie counting - You should be able to use SW principles to make good choices with calorie counting. Think superfree and free first as they will fill you up without using up too many calories.

Also, wasn't it just last week that you had your pizza pig out after weigh in? That was your turning point. I find that weight sometimes takes more than a week to go on or off, so you should accept (was going to say be happy but that may be a little too much!) with STS this week bearing in mind that your new regime has only just started. If I were you I would stick with this, avoid the cider and look forward to a great weigh in next week.

you and I are in the same boat sister, so we'll drive on together

I am stubbornly STILL stuck on 16st flat and nothing I want more than to hit the 15's - I need 7lbs off in three weeks for my mini target

Plateau is the answer, maybe water retention in your case - plateaus have happened to me and suddenly, it drops like a helter skelter

You cannot dodge nature Bonnie, but you can limit the damage and comfort eating is a big No No!

I wanna jump up and down and scream but deep breaths and determination are the key

you will drop, you can't not IF you have stuck with it - you know it works and it's another week on the journey, thats all it is

frustrating yes, annoying yes, end of the world, NO!

end of the plan??

well I'll hunt you down if you disappear, we ain't finished with you yet sister

Just reporting in at 8st 11lbs today.
I think last time I weighed 16th July it was 8st 12 3/4lbs.

Ok I wasn't very well at the beginning of this week but feeling fine now so hoping not to put it back on.

Will read back over later when I have cleaned up here as it looks like I need all afternoon to get up to date.

spot on, good going, congrats

Thanks all - I feel so much better having read your posts. Sorry I overreacted - I am quite emotional at the moment, it is 'lady fun time' and it is particularly fun this time for some reason. It is stupid stupid stupid how much I base success around what the scales say. The most completely stupid thing is that I am fitting into clothes this week that I could't fit into three weeks ago, so I am definitely changing shape. This forum is so helpful, as I trudged down the office this morning, I eyed up the chocolate peanuts (formerly my ultimate nemisis) in the charity snack bin and even considered it...and now I feel much more positive about things.

Tbh I agree FL, and Sparty, changing it up and counting cals I think will help massively - but I don't want to give up SW meetings because I love my group and I do find it really helpful having the weekly weigh in - it feels like I am doing it 'properly'.

OK Lou, you are on, nightly reporting. Snacking isn't really my downfall tbh, it is as you know the weekly misery binge! But I will buddy you up for this week. You recon you are still on track to loose that pound this week?

Thanks again all. You have helped me put it in perspective - I just wished I had come on and ranted last night, before I binged. I thought about it, while the toast was in the toaster, but had a bit of a jeckyll and hyde moment and decided it woudl be perfectly fine as it would aleviate the constipation (wtf!?).

Onwards and upwards and definitely not letting the festival push me off plan!

BonnieBooBear said:
Thanks all - I feel so much better having read your posts. Sorry I overreacted - I am quite emotional at the moment, it is 'lady fun time' and it is particularly fun this time for some reason. It is stupid stupid stupid how much I base success around what the scales say. The most completely stupid thing is that I am fitting into clothes this week that I could't fit into three weeks ago, so I am definitely changing shape. This forum is so helpful, as I trudged down the office this morning, I eyed up the chocolate peanuts (formerly my ultimate nemisis) in the charity snack bin and even considered it...and now I feel much more positive about things.

Tbh I agree FL, and Sparty, changing it up and counting cals I think will help massively - but I don't want to give up SW meetings because I love my group and I do find it really helpful having the weekly weigh in - it feels like I am doing it 'properly'.

OK Lou, you are on, nightly reporting. Snacking isn't really my downfall tbh, it is as you know the weekly misery binge! But I will buddy you up for this week. You recon you are still on track to loose that pound this week?

Thanks again all. You have helped me put it in perspective - I just wished I had come on and ranted last night, before I binged. I thought about it, while the toast was in the toaster, but had a bit of a jeckyll and hyde moment and decided it woudl be perfectly fine as it would aleviate the constipation (wtf!?).

Constipated AND TOTM? No wonder you stayed the same! Glad the kick up the bum has helped! I am sure you will have a good loss next week!

Keep going Bonnie!

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

Considering Bonnie's constipated and its her "lady fun time" I don't think I'd be kicking her up the bum - she could blow! :D

Can only agree with the others Bonnie. Snacking and binge comfort eating is not going to help and you know it.

Emma - well done on the loss. Glad you're getting into the bells. x

Getting Fit - another loss. Well done. xx

no, you did what i sometimes think of doing...binging and going into denial...thinking if you dont say it it didnt happen, you WANTED to binge and if youd come on here and admitted it wed have guilted you out of it and you wanted to eat that food more than you wanted to lose weight for that moment in time. i know ive been there. now if i thik of having a binge i come on and read over what you guys are talking about and your motivation in particular bonnie has kept me going this last 2 weeks when ive found it really hard...please dont give in, youll be letting me down big time. i have 600 cals left for my tea but im at mums and i have no idea what shes doing for tea...so im going to take a sodding weight watchers meal, its only 300 cals so that leaves me enough for a little something shes doing but my tea doesnt rely soley on what shes cooking if you get my drift. im very very hungry this week too, i think my lovely lady week is approaching, its a tough time for us women as the hormones get raging but its not a necessity, its just a want. we can fight it together. i will report back later!

you and I are in the same boat sister, so we'll drive on together

I am stubbornly STILL stuck on 16st flat and nothing I want more than to hit the 15's - I need 7lbs off in three weeks for my mini target

Plateau is the answer, maybe water retention in your case - plateaus have happened to me and suddenly, it drops like a helter skelter

You cannot dodge nature Bonnie, but you can limit the damage and comfort eating is a big No No!

I wanna jump up and down and scream but deep breaths and determination are the key

you will drop, you can't not IF you have stuck with it - you know it works and it's another week on the journey, thats all it is

frustrating yes, annoying yes, end of the world, NO!

end of the plan??

well I'll hunt you down if you disappear, we ain't finished with you yet sister

rod....how many bloody times do i have to say it? when you get closer to a healthy weight, your body doesnt drop the fat like a hot brick...its just the way it works, its perfectly NORMAL to have a run of sts and plateaus and sometimes unwarranted gains (those are very hard to get over) and losses of 1/2-1 are completely normal, so unless you want to starve your self then unfortunately your going to have to accept that you just arent going to lose 5 pound a week.....you lost 5 pound the week before last, your body cant keep that up every week as you get leaner...you run the risk of losing muscle mass which is BAD. keep plugging away, its not a race, its a journey and if you dont accept that its not always going to be as quick or predictable as youd like then you stand more of a chance of losing the lot and staying at the weight you want to be.

Just reporting in at 8st 11lbs today.
I think last time I weighed 16th July it was 8st 12 3/4lbs.

Ok I wasn't very well at the beginning of this week but feeling fine now so hoping not to put it back on.

Will read back over later when I have cleaned up here as it looks like I need all afternoon to get up to date.

well done!!

Can I join in too?

of course lovely!!! report in tonight...

Bonnie - come on! I cant believe that you let this defeat you (and don't tell me you didn't because eating 4 slices of toast and macoroni cheese begs to differ! and I bet it was spread thick with lovely butter too!!) Shame on you Bonnie - you KNOW that sometimes we STS - its not a magic formula and some weeks just seem unfair. Chin up soldier and power through - look at your portion sizes like faery recommends and by all means start counting your cals. Make sure you are eating enough fibre so you can't blame your not being able to 'go' and drink as much water as you can! Literally until you cannot drink any more - so no more water retention excuses allowed sister!!

I am doing the same - usually follow SW but a bit stuck atm so want a boost. I am having 1200 per day for now as my target cals but if you feel that is too small for you, then go for 1400 to begin with (Lou may have more of an idea if this is right for you than I do). And don't use your calories on things you know are not healthy - stick to SW principles.

I have started using MFP again yesterday and so far so good.

well, i have woke up this morning with new determination and fire back in my belly...got weighed again on the didgy scales and they are actually being consistant...they were showing 10.13 on monday...boots showed 10.12, but since tuesday my scales have been readin 10.10 1/2....ooh i hope i have lost 2.5 pound....but as they are the dodgiest scales in the world i wont get my hopes up. my arms look slimmer this week, which im pleased about and my friend even noticed. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 4, still 100%, another 3.0kgs gone. Now less than 22st for the first time since well before 2010. Lots to do, though.

Week 4, still 100%, another 3.0kgs gone. Now less than 22st for the first time since well before 2010. Lots to do, though.

Awesome work Smiley! Well done! How's the exercising gone this week?

You're only 4lbs off having lost 3 stone and I guess a few days from fulfilling your Second Goal! Go you! Keep at it!

Smiley that is brilliant - way to go!! What an achievement. I hope the walking is going well still - you will need a new 'old' suit to wera pretty soon if you keep this up! Well done!!

Amazin' Smiley, you just keep shedding it off! How nice to be able to scrub that goal off your signature. Just keep doing what you're doing...

rod....how many bloody times do i have to say it? when you get closer to a healthy weight, your body doesnt drop the fat like a hot brick...its just the way it works, its perfectly NORMAL to have a run of sts and plateaus and sometimes unwarranted gains (those are very hard to get over) and losses of 1/2-1 are completely normal, so unless you want to starve your self then unfortunately your going to have to accept that you just arent going to lose 5 pound a week.....you lost 5 pound the week before last, your body cant keep that up every week as you get leaner...you run the risk of losing muscle mass which is BAD. keep plugging away, its not a race, its a journey and if you dont accept that its not always going to be as quick or predictable as youd like then you stand more of a chance of losing the lot and staying at the weight you want to be.

well nice as it is to get a boot in the rump, I beg to differ

I stick to my plan, I do my exercise, I don't binge, snack, cheat or wobble

so the lbs will damn well drop off, cos I tell them to

2lb per week, every week is always my aim, sometimes it's more, averagely it is, it's rarely been less

there's science, then there's sense, then theres me and when it comes to supernatural willpower, I am the dog - those lbs will drop off

I have 29lb to go, so I don't consider me "close" to my healthy weight - close is, in my mind, within 7lbs

Lou, I know you're right and I love you for it, but I am gonna prove you wrong - I will be in the 15's by monday

loolahoop - now that its the school holidays surely this is a great excuse to get out and do more exercise during the day? I'm thinking walks in the woods, trips to the park (they can play and you can jog round the park a few laps), playing games in the garden? How about setting up a 'mini olympics' type thing in the garden to get them (and you) racing eachother or something? I'm not sure how old you mean when you say young children but that might be a great way of teaching them all about the olympics, getting you some exercise and still leaving time for your OH in the evenings? You could surely squeeze in a walk after dinner or something as well - as a family or on your own if its too difficult to take the kids. This is the BEST time to do things like this so we wont hear of any 'havent got time' excuses!!!

If you have had an eating discorder you need to tread carefully it seems. But if you calorie count you can be stubborn etc - that doesnt mean reduxing your intake to 200!!! Just be stubborn at sticking to 1200!! Maybe the increase in exercise will help you shart losing again and you wont need to do this. I have 5lb to go so my losses have pretty much slowed right down (not helped by my off plan saturday night last week!) so that is why I am giving it a try. Sometimes just changing up your eating routine can kick start it. I see you are doing SW. Do you use your hex's as snacks or with your meals normally? Are you eating the same old things? What about having a bigger portion at lunch and then a lighter dinner if you usually do it the other way round? Could you change your hex's - i.e. do you always use cereal bars? Maybe swap for bread one or two days per week (same with mik/cheese)?

None of this is difficult to do - you just need to put that stuborness to work!!

thanks :) it would be more getting out on my own in the evening than doing stuff with the kids (i do still take them to the park etc, and i walk EVERYWHERE i go as i dont drive which does involve pushing a double pushchair) but they are young (1yo, 2yo (with a few physical problems) a 4 yo and a 9yo) my 9yo is gonna start coming on bike rides with me, whihch will also be nice as i rarely get to do things with him on his own as they younger 3 take up alot of attention lol! but i am definitely going to make more of an effort on the exercise front! (i will have to sacrifice time with my husband as he doesnt help with the children, so its his own fault! haha) we havent got many woods round here, but plenty of fields to ride through :) (live in the fens - nearly! lol)
i try to vary my meals as much as poss, love trying the SW recipes, i tend to have 1 HEA, which is SS milk i use half on my cereal of bran flakes in the morning, and the rest in my coffees, then 2 HEBs 1 of which is bran flakes and the other either 150g baked beans or 75g peas. i will deffo give the bigger lunch smaller dinner a go though.
i have a temptation filled weekend coming up! but i do have a plan in mind! we are going for a chinese and i have already planned my meal of boiled plain rice and chicken in oyster sauce, (am planning on drinking a load of water before i go out so im too full to be tempted by all the deepfried and battered yummy stuff! then im going out to a club with my sisters and have planned to have 2 x v + diet coke, then just stick to diet coke and every1 will just think im drinking anyway! (its all for my birthday so the attention will definitely be on me!) and also lots of (attempted) dancing so could well burn a few extra cals there too :)

Back