TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Rod as you do some IF you should watch this tonight.May learn something,may not.
Eat, Fast and Live Longer 9pm BBC 2

Michael Mosley examines the powerful science behind the ancient idea of fasting.

Was it any good Rod, I'm not against the idea of fasting it makes you very mentally tough I guess the problem is when you go over board and start to feel like you shouldn't eat at all... maybe that's just my problem lol but on the whole one day fasting can tell you a lot about your mental steel and discipline.

I didn't see the programme, but medically, fasting for anything longer than three or four days is a really bad idea. You can't make essential amino acids and vitamins out of thin air.

I havent watched it because as GF said....

ITS ON TONIGHT!!!

LOL

and I have a date with a trout stream, so I will be fasting anyway..

Rod the Bass said:

ITS ON TONIGHT!!!

LOL

We had blue trout from Bewl last week - yum yum!!!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

im not sure about fasting, im busy all day and i know from experience if i dont eat i feel faint, shakey, start having panic attacks and just feel really unwell, i couldnt go a day with no food, thats just crazy talk. of course of you fast for 2 days of the week your going to lose weight (if you eat a normal amount of food for the other days and dont pig out that is) as your in effect cutting out 2 days calories, but i cant imagine for one second that it would make you feel very well...you wouldnt expect a car to run without fuel in it would you...nmot a fan of fasting at all....i think it promotes bad eating habits, and can cause eating disorders. if i hear of anyone starving themselves for days at a time im afraid i will be telling them off as its just nuts.

Chuckle sorry Rod, well if anyone watches it can they report cause I'll miss it with training.

ITS ON TONIGHT!!!

LOL

gettingfit said:
I don't fast for days but I have a window every day where I eat.

I eat between 8/9am and 6/7pm.So I fast every day for 14/15 hours.

Your body gets used to it and you won't die by not eating at set times.

Before I use to eat 8am,12pm,5pm then supper at 9pm.But I only ate that way as that was the 'norm'.Everyone says you should have breakfast but what time is breakfast.You should give you body some time on waking before you start feeding it.

I thought it may start me off on the binge,starve path but no fasting done properly can be done.

Since doing it I haven't 'cheated' or eaten anything which I may regret later.I don't eat grains or dairy so I don't get the bloated feeling.

I feel clean and fresh in the mornings.

That isnt the type of fasting I'm on aboutnim talking whole days of not eating, not eating while your in bed doesn't count ;) lol

What did you want telling off for?

OMG, just quickly popping in to say, if you didn't watch Horizon (the fasting programme) tonight then make sure you catch it on the iplayer - basically mini fasting (600 cals one day then unlimited the next) will save your life and stop you getting alzheimers (well, stave it off as long as poss anyway).

Once I get to goal I am SO doing it.

Night all.

BonnieBooBear said:
OMG, just quickly popping in to say, if you didn't watch Horizon (the fasting programme) tonight then make sure you catch it on the iplayer - basically mini fasting (600 cals one day then unlimited the next) will save your life and stop you getting alzheimers (well, stave it off as long as poss anyway).

Once I get to goal I am SO doing it.

Night all.

Now THAT I could do!!!!!!!! think it would unleash my binge purge beast though tbh. I'll stick to 3 meals a day ;)

Morning All.

Had my first big 'wobble' last night. I had some peanuts, some cola and ate some Peanut Butter too, all which took me over my calorie allowance for yesterday (Offical numbers say by 50 but I think it was more like 1-200 over). No real excuses other than that I was tired, hormonal, peed off... the usual and I let it all get on top of me. I spent yesterday evening having a really big think.

I'm going to throw out all my snack food and I'm going on a 'Snack Ban'. I don't need them and I don't want them, I just think I do. I also felt demotivated this week because I wanted a bigger loss than I got- pathetic, right?

Feeling a bit disappointed with myself but determined for the rest of the week. From now on, I am going to stick to three meals a day. Any 'snacks' will be attached to meals as opposed to eaten seperately. Got to get myself out of this mindset and feeling more positive.

My legs are still sore. I am going to try to do my run on my elliptical after work and do as much as I can. Don't want to push myself too far but I definitely want to do some exercise. I know it'll improve my mood and lift me out of this silly funk I seem to be in right now.

I couldn't do it by eating 600 calories one day then eat 2000 calories the next.On the up day I would binge big time and would probably go over 2000 calories knowing that I can have a down day the following day if I did.How much food is 600 calories.
At least with my 'fasting' :D I am eating almost the same every day.

It should be done under medical supervision as it won't suit everyone.

That wasn't the deal to be fair though - it was 600 cals one day then unlimited cals the next. Even when the scientists asked the real fatties to literally eat what they want, they weren't able to eat two days worth of food in one day...so overall you still loose.

Although it wasn't about the loosing weight tbh, it was mostly because fasting for one day allows the levels of dangerous hormones and sugars etc in your blood to drop down to safe levels. I am sure Smiley must have something more scientific to add...

It reckons it can get rid of damaged and bad cells etc
Your body gets rid of damaged cells all the time. Not sure what a 'bad' cell would be, other than the big C of course, which is a whole different game. It replaces them using the amino acids you get from eating protein, and the cholesterol you get from eating fat.

If you starve yourself, then not only will your body stop replacing the damages cells, it will also start destroying healthy ones to make glucose for your brain.

fasting for one day allows the levels of dangerous hormones and sugars etc in your blood to drop down to safe levels. I am sure Smiley must have something more scientific to add...
This bit I would sort of agree with - like I've posted before, if you have high glucogen levels because you eat a modern high-carbohydrate diet, then you'll find it very difficult to lost body fat because your body will never need the energy.

GF's got it right - eat low carb meals with your calorie allowance well spaced out during the day is all you need to keep your body free of 'toxins.' but kicking off such a diet with a day's fast wouldn't do any harm, and might help mark out a psychological 'watershed' that you could look back on for support - "If I can go a day without food, I can sure as hell go an hour without this biscuit!"

Last edited:
this is a good discussion, I am interested in lo carb / primal type plans as this type of approach suits my tastes and works for me - or has so far anyway

I actually missed the programme due to IT issues at home and hope those IT issues can be resoved so I can watch it on iplayer!!

as an aside I am definitely feeling the burn again and aiming at 15-10 minimum this week, willpower is cocked and loaded

whoever (LOU?) mentioned portion sizes, I think that was spot on and a sanity saver for me

I feel like I'm on top again and sailing the right course

oh and properly grumpy, so GF, sorry if you don't deserve a whallop but you asked for it, BUCKLE DOWN SISTER!!!

lol!!!!

really hope the no snacking has helped this week! cant believe i havent caved! so thought i would! but had a glass of water everytime i thought i needed to snack and the feeling soon passed! been making cakes with the kids today which i didnt really think about too well coz the smell of freshly baked cakes is sooo nice n its making me want them! but WI tonight so im deffo not gonna cave into one of those little things!

Rod the Bass said:
this is a good discussion, I am interested in lo carb / primal type plans as this type of approach suits my tastes and works for me - or has so far anyway

I actually missed the programme due to IT issues at home and hope those IT issues can be resoved so I can watch it on iplayer!!

as an aside I am definitely feeling the burn again and aiming at 15-10 minimum this week, willpower is cocked and loaded

whoever (LOU?) mentioned portion sizes, I think that was spot on and a sanity saver for me

I feel like I'm on top again and sailing the right course

oh and properly grumpy, so GF, sorry if you don't deserve a whallop but you asked for it, BUCKLE DOWN SISTER!!!

lol!!!!

It was me and I will take the credit if you have a corking loss hahaha ;)

I'm thinking of doing a days fasting after this wedding food fest, well actually i would like to do a proper detox programme then get back into the healthy eating properly. I feel slimmer today, and I have done 3.5 hours heavy duty cleaning an empty flat, carpets, cupboards windows, skirting the lot and I ran up and down 6 flights of stairs 5 times taking the hoards of cleaning equipment so have burnt lots of cals. I only had breakfast today so am having a Chinese takeaway for tea, just sweet and sour prawns and then that's it for the night. Tomorrow will be a very low cal day in preparation for the wedding Thursday, I'll be doing my own house tomorrow from top to bottom and I'll go for a little walk/jog in the evening, I'm so excited about this wedding just me and hubby and teen son (hell be with his cousin and is staying in a seperate room) so is going to be some extremely rare adult time for us. I intend on enjoying it but not going crazy for the sake of it. I'm prepared to put in the work before a d after it and I have a clear run til the end of September when I'm on a hen do, I want to be 7 pound lighter by then, that's around a pound a week and I'm getting that I'm gonna have to work hard to get there again. Anyone got any good detox plans, I want to do it from Saturday but I need to be able to function and not pass out all the time or be really ill

Morning All.

Had my first big 'wobble' last night. I had some peanuts, some cola and ate some Peanut Butter too, all which took me over my calorie allowance for yesterday (Offical numbers say by 50 but I think it was more like 1-200 over). No real excuses other than that I was tired, hormonal, peed off... the usual and I let it all get on top of me. I spent yesterday evening having a really big think.

I'm going to throw out all my snack food and I'm going on a 'Snack Ban'. I don't need them and I don't want them, I just think I do. I also felt demotivated this week because I wanted a bigger loss than I got- pathetic, right?

Feeling a bit disappointed with myself but determined for the rest of the week. From now on, I am going to stick to three meals a day. Any 'snacks' will be attached to meals as opposed to eaten seperately. Got to get myself out of this mindset and feeling more positive.

My legs are still sore. I am going to try to do my run on my elliptical after work and do as much as I can. Don't want to push myself too far but I definitely want to do some exercise. I know it'll improve my mood and lift me out of this silly funk I seem to be in right now.

Oh dear FL, peanut butter? Could you have found anything more fatty and calorific!?

You know as well as we all do, that if you pig out, your scales are going to say the same thing or worse next week. Do you want that?

No - you want them to show a nice big loss, possibly even some of the loss which would have shown this week if it wasn't for lady fun time. But they won't unless you do as you say and go for it 100% from now till your next WI.

Snacks attached to meals are still snacks! But it sounds like you know what you want to do. Bloated eurgh lady fun time etc etc...all an excuse. You know what you need to do, stop making the excuses and get on it lady!

(trying to dish out tough love. I feel so MEAN)

Back