TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

your the champion runner on this thread bonnie!! can i ask a bit of advice pleas? i wen jogging on friday, didnt go mad as im not used to it...followed the couch to 5k programme so did intervals of running and it was mostly fast walking, i p1ssed it no problems at all...but since then my shins hurt...reeeeally bad, i havent been able to go and even walking makes me feel exhausted cos the pain is so bad....its eased off finally today but surely 5 days of pain from one mild jog isnt right? is it my trainers? is it my technique? can you give me some pointers...i can buy trainers if needs be, the ones i have are new but pretty cheapo ones....i really enjoyed going and want to do it and keep up with it but cant be in pain like that every time
I am not sure Lou, I am no expert, but I don't think your trainers are the problem - I only ever buy cheapo ones and don't change them anywhere near as often as I should, and I don't have problems. Sounds like maybe shin splints are your issue?

Shin splints - Shin pain, Symptoms, Treatment, Rehabilitation and Exercises

I am very lucky *knocks on lots of wood* that I have been running for about 7 years on and off and have never had an injury that has stopped me being able to run, but not sure that is down to technique - I just put one foot in front of the other and keep going!

A friend of mine had splints but perservered and as he got fitter and fitter it happened less and less. Not much of an inviting prospect I know. Maybe also running on soft surfaces like grass would reduce the impact?

I read about shin splints but surly I wouldn't get them
On the first jog when I was only jogging briefly? Mind you I did actually sprint for a couple if the minutes cos there was s good song on
My
iPhone lol.

Today's been ok but feeling pretty rubbish tbh, headache, really hungry and feeling tired. I won't slip, I've had 491 cals and that is it for the day. If I have to I'll go to bed at 8. I'm determined to
Crack this. It's the first down day so is bound to be hard. Looking forward to breakfast in morning!!! Lol

Ice the shins Lou, shin splints are a true curse for anyone, going back to or starting to run. If you can at all, avoid pavements or roads for a bit and run in a park on grass or in a field till you learn the stride that doesn't hurt you. Very best of luck with it though its a most rewarding challenge and if you can build it into every day life youll never look back

exiguous said:
Ice the shins Lou, shin splints are a true curse for anyone, going back to or starting to run. If you can at all, avoid pavements or roads for a bit and run in a park on grass or in a field till you learn the stride that doesn't hurt you. Very best of luck with it though its a most rewarding challenge and if you can build it into every day life youll never look back

Thanks I'll try that when I next go, I'm away til Friday and then I'll have all the catching up to
Do so will be Saturday or Sunday. I'll try run somewhere with grass next time, I hope I get used to it cos it's so convenient to just go for a run

Thanks I'll try that when I next go, I'm away til Friday and then I'll have all the catching up to
Do so will be Saturday or Sunday. I'll try run somewhere with grass next time, I hope I get used to it cos it's so convenient to just go for a run

I would look at the shoes too, simply because they do make a difference for certain people. I just ordered mine so I can go outside and I spent 50 quid (my feet hurt easily anyway so tend to prefer to spend a bit more on footwear). That way, if I get any issues, I know that it won't be because of that. Also, my podcast tells me to make sure when you hit the ground with your foot, to hit heal first rather than toes. This causes less impact for your legs or something like that.

Yeehhaaaa 2.5 off last night at WI. Now 11st7 and only two measly pounds away from my third target.

I've come to hang out with the serious losers. I had a major wobble a wee while ago, took refuge in the biscuit barrel & munched my way up to 11st 4 which at only 5'3 made me look mahoosive!

SO I've taken back control of my appetite, no calorie counting, no eliminating certain food groups just eating what I feel like eating, the only rules are I only eat when I'm feeling real hunger & as soon as I'm full I stop. Sounds simple but its working so I'll keep on doing it.

I've come to hang out with the serious losers. I had a major wobble a wee while ago, took refuge in the biscuit barrel & munched my way up to 11st 4 which at only 5'3 made me look mahoosive!

SO I've taken back control of my appetite, no calorie counting, no eliminating certain food groups just eating what I feel like eating, the only rules are I only eat when I'm feeling real hunger & as soon as I'm full I stop. Sounds simple but its working so I'll keep on doing it.

welcome back Clanger and glad to see you are on the jazz

I assume your stats are right and your goal date is cool with you?

Good.

because thats where we're headed

how you do it doesn't matter ,we are a pack of mongrels on various plans and I don't even have a name for what I do - so do whatever works for you

check out the rules on post #1 and get stuck in

there is an off-topic and chat thread for you to use, this thread is if for posting results/successes/wobbles and getting some help

all the fluff and chaff goes on in the other thread

STS or gain - no access to chat thread OK? you stay here and take it on the chin until you are back to losing ways

Tough Love is for losers and I'm kind of proud of what we do here - you can join the rest of us losers and make it happen

Nice one Bonnie. Great work :)

I am super motivated today - COME ON YOU GUYS, LETS ALL GET A DROP DONE IN THE NEXT SEVEN DAYS

I have 7 days to go for 15-7, unlikely I'll make that, but I will definitely try!

this week I'm back !!

I've got a week to burn off 11 lbs to hit my Goal III in two weeks as promised. A tough ask, but doable.

Foot injury has curtailed the walking, so I'm going to go and get some SERIOUS weights at lunchtime. I reckon an extra 15kgs on each dumbell should do the trick - now those moobs are evaporating it's time to get some pecs in their place, eh ladies?

Starting tomorrow morning I am doing 50 reps of 40kgs press before breakfast. Every day. You can have results or excuses, but not both.

60 lengths in the pool again tonight - must be getting fitter 'cos I did it in about 53 mins not the usual 60. I WILL get to 11st5 next WI!!

(and OH is peddling his grotty coffee cake that he was baking while I slaved in the pool - no chance!)

60 lengths in the pool again tonight - must be getting fitter 'cos I did it in about 53 mins not the usual 60. I WILL get to 11st5 next WI!!

(and OH is peddling his grotty coffee cake that he was baking while I slaved in the pool - no chance!)

Awesome Bonnie! I'm such a slow swimmer compared to you. It takes me that much time to do 30. I'm sure I'll keep on getting better though :)

Back