1. You can now easily put an SW award in your signature/posts like a smilie. Just look for the SW award tab after you tap on the smilie face.
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey in the Slow Cooker

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by avisk, 15 December 2009 Social URL.

1. avisk

avisk xx

Slimming World
    I have been tinkering with variations on my chicken/leek/butternut squash recipe for the slow cooker - this is the latest version, using a very good value pack of turkey I found in Tesco. Of course, it could be adapted to cook in a conventional oven.

1 pack diced turkey thigh meat (Tesco - £2)
    half a butternut squash, diced
    3 medium leeks, halved and sliced
    50g pearl barley
    ginger wine (optional)

The turkey needed some trimming, as there was a little bit of fat on some of the pieces, but it didn't take long.

I put a very small amount of boiling water to cover the bottom of the slow cooker casserole. Then add the vegetables, season, add the turkey pieces, season again.

I cooked this on low for six hours. By this time the vegetables had provided quite a lot of liquid, and I gave things a good stir, added the barley, and cooked for another two hours. When the barley is cooked, if there is too much liquid left, you can turn up the heat for a while.

When I added the barley, I also put in a couple of tablespoons of ginger wine. This may sound odd, but I had seen this idea suggested in another recipe, and I have to say that the flavour was lovely.

I didn't add a stock cube or stock liquid because I didn't think it would need it, and I was right, but of course you could if you want to.

I had two huge bowlsful of this last night, and there is enough left for my lunch today. With additional vegetables, or jacket potatoes, it would serve four.

(I have a Tesco slow cooker, which seems to be a bit hotter than some - if i was using my sister's cooker I would cook this on high.)
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.